Replay value in games

TestingTheExaminer

Jan 13, 2012
I know with the birth of sandbox games this has not so much meant replay-ability as "dude....I'm bored, i'm gonna goof off in Vice City with a Kantana".

But i mean a more level based game. No online play, just a good game (no matter how old it is) that no matter how many times you replay a level, or indeed the whole story. You want to play it again, and again, and AGAIN.

The reason i wanted to post this is after a recent rummage through my PS2 games i rediscovered the Hitman series, i can't stop poisoning cakes, sedating people only to rob their clothes and have an entire building of people running around naked and embarrassed, and just randomly going on a killing spree.

Any other experiences someone wants to share?

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
The one game I played over and over again was the terrible "John Woo's Stranglehold". I replayed that game many times just because it was a fun shoot 'em up. Entering a room and sliding down hand rails while blasting dudes in the face with a shotgun in slow motion was a fun time indeed.

Also, a really good game I kept replaying was Hitman: Blood Money. I would go in and be stealthy and shit the first time, then go in guns-a-blazing the next. My favorite level to do was the one in the jungle, where you had to kill the wine guy and his sons. Best level next to the christmas one.

Dec 21, 2011
Strangely, F.E.A.R. for me. Learning where a roomful of SWAT guys were gonna appear from and taking them out limb by limb was such awesome fun I must have played through it like 10 times.

Did not have that feeling towards later F.E.A.R. games.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Tenchu: Return from Darkness on the xbox. I replayed the shit out of that game till I got grandmaster on every single level and had 99 of every single item... and then I played it again. Like the op said, hitman has great replayability. Also, Deus Ex. I've played through that one quite a few times.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
I replay the Baldur's Gate Saga once every year or two.

...actually it's about time for me to give Baldur's Gate another go.

I think I might go with a Sorcerer.

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Vampier Bloodlines: The Masqurade.
Every second year or so I replay that. And love every second of it.

booker

Feb 25, 2011
SUPER METROID

Because fucking SUPER METROID. It's one of the best gaming experiences I know of. Seriously.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
There are a variety of games that I keep around and replay on a semi-regular basis. Notably my Zelda games and Psychonauts.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
For me that would probably be Shadow of the Colossus. I've played through that game at least 7 times by now. And I won't be surprised if I find myself playing through it again in a few months.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
I play quite a few games over and over because they are fun. Countless NES and SNES games that I either have beat before or just want to take another crack at some of my favorite stages, Link to the Past is another big one I replay all the time (so much so the game is pretty much commited to memory). Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, I spent a summer playing through that game, like, 40 times. I loved all the acrobatic levels and trying to get off spectatular speed kills.

Tons more, but no titles come to mind right at this moment.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
any game you liked has replay value so long as you want to play it again for any number of reasons

booker said:
SUPER METROID

Because fucking SUPER METROID. It's one of the best gaming experiences I know of. Seriously.
and then there's Super Metriod, no sand box game will every be as cool

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
I must have replayed Resident Evil 4 at least three dozen times on numerous platforms, including the recent HD re-release on XBL, despite my extreme disappointment at their decision to not update the now archaic and cumbersome control scheme.

I don't really know what it is about that game. I mean, on paper, it doesn't really have much replayability. It's highly linear, nothing changes on a second playthrough, weapon selection is limited and there's a very clear "correct" way to upgrade your weapons that will produce the best results, and it's possible to fully upgrade almost all the best weapons in a single playthrough (unlike, say, Dead Space or RE5). Replaying the game with upgraded "carried-over" weapons or the overpowered secret weapons just results in an extremely easy game. Also, the controls don't hold up and in the cold, harsh light of current generation gaming, quite a few design choices seem odd, if not outright bad.

But I just can't stop playing it!

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Mass Effect, because I frequently miss things and want to explore all playable options.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I've finished and replayed Castle Crashers many, many times. It's incredibly fun to play and the variety of characters provide this.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

I'm not sure why but something about those kinda games just makes me wanna play and improve my level rating more and more.

I'd tell you how many hours I've put into Devil May Cry 3 alone but unfortunately the timer stops at 100 hours....

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
kirby 64 for me, every few months I go:"Fuck it, pop it in I'm gonna just do a quick run." Then I'd hundred percent it in a weekend and go back to whatever I was doing.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Ive replayed both Mass Effects a fair number of times now, and Im sure I will again once the trilogy is complete.

Ive been replaying both fallouts recently too, trying to do things differently.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
In my experience games without story are usually the most replayable. Which is no surprise to me, because they are designed for replayability.

Strategy games, especially the 4X genre are very replayable, after all they would be very poor value if they could only be played once. The Civilization series or the oldie Master of Magic scores very high in terms of replayability. Sid Meier made a marketing slogan out of the replayability of Civilization: "Just one more turn..."
And then of course there are abstract games like Tetris or Chess.

For games with story, I think Mass Effect 2 and the original Half-Life were the games I played through the most times. They simply have gameplay with a good rhytm that is enjoyable even though I know the story.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
I keep coming back to Sanitarium, strangely as it sounds. I mean, it's an adventure, extremely linear, but I have an urge to play it every now and again.

Shadow of the Colossus is another one. I even got as far as buying a copy of the game even though I don't have a PS2, just to be able to play it in case I come across a SotC-less console.

Besides those, being a really old school gamer, I am constantly replaying Code Name Viper and Nightshade on the NES and Rolling Thunder 2, Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Balsters (a weird game I really love for some reason) on the Mega Drive, as well as Black Tiger and Sunset Riders on MAME.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I'd say Tyrian is a candidate among PC games for one with a lot of replay value. I think I've played it through all four episodes at least once per year since it came out way back in, when was it? 1995? Aw, who cares, it's still a great game.