Report: Bethesda Working On Elder Scrolls MMO

the big fluffeh

Nov 7, 2011
I dunno if anyone else mentioned this (I haven't had my coffee yet and am too lazy to read all replies), but it's not necessarily Bethesda who's working on the game.
Zenimax, Bethesda's mother-company also has a branch called Zenimax online. Let's see what it says on their site:

ZeniMax Online is a part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes Bethesda Softworks, makers of the best-selling, award-winning Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3.

Now, here's the interesting part, taken from their FAQ:

Who are you guys?

We're the best kept secret in the gaming industry? But, seriously, we're the online game development studio of ZeniMax Media, who also owns Bethesda Softworks. So think of us as the multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks.

Our President was one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment and was the producer of Dark Age of Camelot and lots of other titles there.

What are you working on now?

We really can't say. We're just not ready to say anything specifically about the title that we are developing except to say that it is a massive AAA quality MMOG title that we think will challenge the current market leaders.

Source: http://www.zenimaxonline.com/faq.html

Btw: this is not new. These statements have been there for at least a year, I think.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I hope they use combat that's similar to DDO, it'd probably fit better. The only thing I see being a problem is the loot, the games are good, but I'm rather fond of being able to find a lot of fun loot, even if it's not the best.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Soon.

All MMOs are dead to me the day this releases....

I have high hopes...

do not mess it up Bethesda...

bean burrito

Jul 10, 2009
Stormz said:
If an MMO is released the likely hood they make another singleplayer Elder Scrolls again is greatly diminished. Not every bloody franchise needs an MMO for crying out loud. I'm happy with the singleplayer and wouldn't want to see such a great series go to waste.
This, this, this.
The whole point of the Elder scrolls games seems to be giving you a massive, open world to explore and make your own. On paper, it seems like that would be a perfect seed for an MMO, but (at least in my limited experience) an MMO really doesn't allow you to create your own story, rather it guides you through the very rigid story, with focus on making yourself whoever you want to be.

If I had to put down money, I would be that this report is nonsense. I think, especially from how I've heard Todd Howard talk about the elder scrolls, that Bethesda is too smart to try to attack such a massive project. Think of the DLC/expansions/updates that are still to come with Skyrim! Why would the studio start/announce such a massive project with so much potential left in Skyrim? Not to mention anything that they'd want to do with Fallout.

fayfly

Nov 11, 2011
I would play it IF...

1) it was small-number servers or instanced worlds like Guild Wars. I REALLY don't want to see 500 people swarming over the countryside. If towns were populated great-- but I don't like fighting over kills. I don't.

2) There were policed Roleplay-ONLY servers with naming restrictions. Because like someone said, AiLikezBoobiez1212 should never, ever be on my server. Or in existence.

3) Modding community!

4) There was a much better QA team on the MMO than the normal game. Bugs of ES scale are rarely funny in an mmo setting.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Sleekit said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Double points to anyone who can craft a convincing argument for how this game might topple Blizzard's World of Warcraft empire.
it would be on consoles ? i mean it would right ? Elder Scrolls is on consoles.

there has never been a "breakthrough" console MMO.

its one of those things that everyone knows will happen at some point but simply hasn't happened yet.

this, if true, is a very serious contender.

PS here's my bet for the factions:
Dragons: Dovahkiin led or inspired "rebellion" (possibly including NPC Dragons)
Lions: The Cyrodiil Empire
Bird of Prey: The Aldmeri Dominion
Guild Wars 2 is going to consoles. And it looks awesome, and doesn't have a subscription.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
the big fluffeh said:
I dunno if anyone else mentioned this (I haven't had my coffee yet and am too lazy to read all replies), but it's not necessarily Bethesda who's working on the game.
Zenimax, Bethesda's mother-company also has a branch called Zenimax online. Let's see what it says on their site:

ZeniMax Online is a part of the ZeniMax Media group of companies, which includes Bethesda Softworks, makers of the best-selling, award-winning Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3.

Who are you guys?

We're the best kept secret in the gaming industry? But, seriously, we're the online game development studio of ZeniMax Media, who also owns Bethesda Softworks. So think of us as the multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks.

Our President was one of the founders of Mythic Entertainment and was the producer of Dark Age of Camelot and lots of other titles there.

We really can't say. We're just not ready to say anything specifically about the title that we are developing except to say that it is a massive AAA quality MMOG title that we think will challenge the current market leaders.

Btw: this is not new. These statements have been there for at least a year, I think.
That FAQ should probably say "Bethesda Game Studios" instead of "Bethesda Softworks". I mean, Bethesda Softworks is Zenimax's publishing arm, they don't actually make any games themselves, while Zenimax Online is a development studio. Unless Zenimax are planning on making Zenimax Online into a new publishing brand, they're in no way the "multiplayer-focused Bethesda Softworks".

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Hell I'd play it. Might be good if they take the time to polish it to its fullest. Although that makes me wonder if they have been working on it for awhile now, keeping it under wraps.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
They have to come up with something better than Elder Scrolls Online, just doesn't sound fantastic enough.

Also, no one is going to be forced to play it, so don't moan.
Legends of Tamriel? best i got...

Still i doubt this is true, haven't other rumours like this spread around before? for all we know Bethesda said it may have a multiplayer option and people are taking that as an MMO...wouldn't put it past most "sources"

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
the big fluffeh said:

Who are you guys?

With that in mind, at least we know (if this does happen) we will still get the single player Elder Scrolls games as well...

So no problem here ^^ woooo now take me to the Orc homeland damn it!

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
I'm i the only one that finds Elder Scrolls ( the whole damn franchise) really dull... It's stand up wooden fantasy setting are just so sighh.... boring.. I could never get excited. an MMO? one way to sink a successful studio imo. If EA did stick $500million into star wars and that's shocking...

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Unfortunately the only way World of Warcraft will get taken down is by its own mistakes and people's boredom with it. Game companies have made it blatently obvious they don't want to try to beat World of Warcraft so its unlikely any of them will actually "try". But it would explain why Bethesda was so quick to hit Mojang with a lawsuit if they had a project in development with that name.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I really hope it'll have true action combat and not the standard MMO auto-attack crap, but considering they bought a HeroEngine license a few years ago i doubt it.

Atleast they have a DAoC guy in charge, that game had fantastic RvR.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I've heard these rumors before, last one was in like 2007 I think and they always get denied.

If it is true it might be cool but what I really want is simply co-op support so I can have friends tag along with me on my epic adventures.

LorienvArden said:
I'ld really hope for a polished game that would let players change the world they inhabit by ruling guilds, building outposts etc. but I suppose that will remain a pipedream.
This might interest you:

http://archeage-online.com/

The only problem is it's only in Korea at the moment.

EDIT: http://archeage-online.com/about/the-world

That might be the bit that is most relevant to your interests.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Double points to anyone who can craft a convincing argument for how this game might topple Blizzard's World of Warcraft empire.
Well..... WoW used to be a good MMO, but, then it took an Arrow to the Knee

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Darth_Dude said:
Sleekit said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
it would be on consoles ? i mean it would right ? Elder Scrolls is on consoles.

there has never been a "breakthrough" console MMO.

its one of those things that everyone knows will happen at some point but simply hasn't happened yet.

this, if true, is a very serious contender.

PS here's my bet for the factions:
Dragons: Dovahkiin led or inspired "rebellion" (possibly including NPC Dragons)
Lions: The Cyrodiil Empire
Bird of Prey: The Aldmeri Dominion
The source states that it will take place 1000 years before Skyrim, so we won't be seeing either the Aldmeri (I think) or Dragons.
The dragons where around during the Second Era, the game could take place when the dragons where being hunted.

Fredport convention

Jul 2, 2010
I would be willing to play it if they keep the combat as it is, rather than click on your target and watch your character do the work for you, that is the style I hate most which mmos usually use.
However I would much prefer a multiplayer option, along side a single player game, with the freedom to fight or turn against your mates for fun, instead of grinding the same repetetive quests amoungst hundreds of people you don't know or give a shit about.

I say the way to make it more popular than World of Warcraft, would be to make it free to play, original(so make sure it doesnt rip it off too much, or any other mmo) and finally keep that sense of freedom, so you could steal from or kill anyone you wanted and to balance it out keep the crime system.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Exciting year for MMO's.

Tera, Guild Wars 2... I'm afraid that a TES mmo will be trampled if it doesn't do something new.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Make it a console MMO and they will destroy WoW. First console MMO that does well... screw WoW and its catering to people even with low end computers, a good console MMO will get a ridiculous amount of players i'd say. Even more than WoW's peak of 12 or 13 million maybe...