Report: Bill Murray Will Appear in Ghostbusters Reboot

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Report: Bill Murray Will Appear in Ghostbusters Reboot

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

It's no secret that Dan Aykroyd has made repeated attempts to reunite the original cast of Ghostbusters for a third installment, with Bill Murray repeatedly holding out because of the less-than-stellar reception of Ghostbusters 2. According to a report from all female Ghostbusters reboot [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-bill-murray-appear-814125?utm_source=twitter].

Murray previously praised [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137342-Bill-Murray-Suggests-Melissa-McCarthy-for-All-Female-Ghostbusters-Cast] the upcoming flick, saying "I would go to that movie, and they'd probably have better outfits, too." Murray even gave his "dream team" cast preference, which included two of the cast members who were cast for roles.

"Melissa (McCarthy) would be a spectacular Ghostbuster," he said. "And Kristen Wiig is so funny - God, she's funny! I like this girl Linda Cardellini a lot. And Emma Stone is funny. There are some funny girls out there."

It has also been reported [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/07/15/ghostbusters-remake-dan-aykroyd-cameo/30180561/] that Aykroyd will be making an appearance in the flick, although that's not nearly as surprising as Murray getting involved.

The movie is expected to release July 16, 2016.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Didn't it come out that Sony Pictures was gonna sue Murray to be in the new Ghostbusters or something? Back when there was that huge leak?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am looking forward to this. But I have to say... I would rather see a sequel than a reboot. I mean, Ghostbusters is pretty much interwoven with what is both Millenial and GenX, meaning your audience is already pre-installed for following from the same universe as the previous movies.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I hope to God he walks in, delivers the movie's singular funny line and makes it clear to the poor saps who paid to see the movie that the original GhostBusters is good enough and that Melissa Mccarthy only has one joke. And its that she is fat and unlikable.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Silentpony said:
I hope to God he walks in, delivers the movie's singular funny line and makes it clear to the poor saps who paid to see the movie that the original GhostBusters is good enough and that Melissa Mccarthy only has one joke. And its that she is fat and unlikable.
Well, aren't you a lovely person?

Anyway, here's hoping he's the first ghost they take out just to piss off the crybabies hatewatching the movie in the theater.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Vault101 said:
Silentpony said:
And its that she is fat and unlikable.
her weight isn't relevant to anything

and that there's what we call sexism
....No? Sexism is discrimination on the basis of sex. From what I'm reading I never mentioned Ms. Mccarthy's gender nor at any point implied her being a woman should keep her from being employed. What I said was she has one joke, and that joke is she's A) Fat(which is gender neutral from what I know of human fat cells) and B) unlikable(again, I'm fairly sure that's gender neutral as well)

But if helps your butt heal, Chris Farley only had one joke. And its that he was fat and stupid.

See? Bad comedians come from all genders!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vault101 said:
Silentpony said:
. And its that she is fat and unlikable.
It kind of is, since that's sort of her shtick; The obnoxious fat person. This is generally a thing with the obese, American comedian. The only fat American I can think of that didn't contend to this type of comedy was John Candy.

Not that Melissa McCarthy is terrible. She was great in Gilmore Girls, but ever since he breakthrough in Hollywood she's just been playing up the big, heavy comedy routine.

OT: Boo, Bill. Boo!

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Vault101 said:
Silentpony said:
. And its that she is fat and unlikable.

and that there's what we call sexism
Stop whining about sexism everywhere. Kevin James is fat and unlikable too and frequently gets referred to that way. Hell there isn't a fat actor of the male persuasion that doesn't get referenced as fat. Mellisa McCarthy is "the fat funny girl" just the same way John Candy was "the fat funny guy".

Being fat as a performer in hollywood is enough of an anomaly in itself that to cry sexism about it is just bloody hysterical.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
TristanBelmont said:
Didn't it come out that Sony Pictures was gonna sue Murray to be in the new Ghostbusters or something? Back when there was that huge leak?
Yep:

http://www.thewrap.com/sony-hack-attack-studio-considered-legal-action-against-ghostbusters-star-bill-murray/

I think it explains why a man who wanted nothing more to do with Ghostbusters is suddenly playing ball.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Silentpony said:
yeeeeeeaaaaaah

women get ragged on their appearances FAR more than men do, hence why go to unsults for women are always fat/ugly/lesbian, there's absolutely no way that could be interpreted as anything other than an insult...an insult for being fat

Jake Martinez said:
Stop whining about sexism everywhere. .
stop being so offended whenever someone dares use the "S" word

and I refer to above statement, sorry but I'm not buying that explanation

Casual Shinji said:
[It kind of is, since that's sort of her shtick; The obnoxious fat person. This is generally a thing with the obese, American comedian. The only fat American I can think of that didn't contend to this type of comedy was John Candy.
people keep saying this about her but I honestly think its very overstated, behined her "fat/obnoxious" schtick her improve style (IMO) is very on-point...even in "The Heat" it was only one aspect of her character and in her latest movie spy while her apparent dowdiness is played for laughs the character is very different

and EVEN THEN ponies coment was a very clear insult

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vault101 said:
Casual Shinji said:
It kind of is, since that's sort of her shtick; The obnoxious fat person. This is generally a thing with the obese, American comedian. The only fat American I can think of that didn't contend to this type of comedy was John Candy.
people keep saying this about her but I honestly think its very overstated, behined her "fat/obnoxious" schtick her improve style (IMO) is very on-point...even in "The Heat" it was only one aspect of her character and in her latest movie spy while her apparent dowdiness is played for laughs the character is very different

and EVEN THEN ponies coment was a very clear insult
What I have seen of Spy seems to imply she has a bit more range, but the problem with McCarthy (whether by her own doing or not) is that she gets type-cast as the 'crass fat lady, but it's funny cuz she's so fat'. Same as you have the sassy black woman. Both of which have a high risk of appearing in this Ghostbusters movie, because hey, this is Hollywood.

I can't read minds, but that comment seemed less of an insult against her personally and more a criticism against it being the only thing her comedy seems to ride upon. I'll point toward Dawn French as someone who's generally just funny on her own. Again, this may very well be something outside of McCarthy's control, since these might just be the only types of roles she gets offered.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really couldn't care less if he's in it or not. This will be about as important as Stan Lee's cameos in the Marvel movies. Of course, I'm not going to see this movie at all, as I don't think it's going to actually be funny. But hey that's just me.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I really hope this is something that is being done simply as a cameo... but honestly, this reeks of desperation.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I really hope Ghostbustiers will bomb.

I would've accepted a sequel, or a side-story, but to claim it's a reboot and then make it women only is just insulting. How inclusive.

As for Bill Murray, eh. Eeeeeh. He needs someone like Dan Akroyd to play off against otherwise he's just the depressed has-been.