Report: Crysis 2 Leaked

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
drisky said:
Murderiser said:
Note to PC gamers: this is why no-one makes games for you anymore.
Are we going to have to bring out the "happily dying" picture? Besides games get hacked on every system, not just the pc. Its not a legitimate enough reason not to port it.
It's true, it's not just pc. These days though I think consoles have more hacked/pirated games than pc. Every pc gamer I know uses steam, therefore the games are legit. Whereas There are many people who pirate xbox 360 games, they're still making games for it right?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I think this is both good and bad. It's really bad for Crytek, of course, and it really sucks that their game is getting leaked. I'm certainly going to still buy it and not download it and I hope not many people do download it. I can't help but be a bit pleased about the leak of any DRM code though. If analysis reveals any fundamental weaknesses in the DRM, this could be another whole DRM scheme rendered non-viable for future releases and that can only be a good thing. I support Crytek and sympathise with them, but would be more than happy to see their DRM supplier ruined.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Staskala said:
Appareantly the leaked beta is unstable as hell (who would have guessed), so I doubt the leak will have much of an impact.
The beta might make it possible to check out the game 45 days before release, but everyone will get the proper version regardless - one way or the other.
I seriously don't get why anyone would even want an unfinished game. It's not like Crysis has some epic storyline we're all dying to see like Mass effect or Starcraft 2, it's a game about gameplay and graphics. If a beta build of Mass Effect 3 came out I could understand people picking it up to see the end even if most of the characters where placeholders and none of the weapons had any sound but Crysis? You may as well just wait a few weeks for Reloaded or Razor 1911 to release the usual crack on Piratebay to be honest.

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
Aprently from the youtube'd vids I've seen you play as prophet. Further making me go WTF happened when they whent back to the island. Have I missed something?

I'm still going to grab a copy around day 0 other releases permitting me the time. A payed copy mind you.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I can see the scene all too clearly. The programmers and PR people sitting around a table, nobody saying a word. Then someone punches the table. One of the PR girls starts crying. All through this Cevat Yerli is on his feet, smoking a cigar, looking out of a window.
"Find him and destroy him, whoever he is"

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
ark123 said:
I can see the scene all too clearly. The programmers and PR people sitting around a table, nobody saying a word. Then someone punches the table. One of the PR girls starts crying. All through this Cevat Yerli is on his feet, smoking a cigar, looking out of a window.
"Find him and destroy him, whoever he is"
This mental image made me smile.

On the down side, I wouldn't even wish a fate like this on Apple, if you put time from your life into making something, you deserve at least some compensation for it if it's any good, like any work of art.

But there is a silver lining in all this, their DRM was cracked too, and while I honestly feel whoever leaked the game deserves whatever fate can be cooked up for them, I can't help but hope that companies take some notice and perhaps start to consider that DRM isn't the "Holy Grail" of piracy protection they seem to believe it is and it only punishes those who actually shell out money for the game.

Wishful thinking? perhaps, but optimism is but one of my gorgeous flaws.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
There's absolutely no justification to pirate this in the slightest.

I think the main excuse is 'well i'll try it, and if i like what i see i might go and buy the game'.
That's like eating a cake because some dick stole it from the kitchen, and if you liked it enough you MIGHT go 'eh, sure i'll pay for it.'

minotaur199

Sep 10, 2009
Don't care, I wont download it but Im still buying the game just because I wanna support EA and I wanna see Crysis 3 made. If pirates are content with this "beta" release or whatever, so be it but I'm gonna have a real finished product on my hand and full experience.

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
Seriously... what the eff? I am disappoint. The one who leaked it should be punched in the jewels

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
Crytek is getting my money either way, since the last trailer really convinced me about Crysis 2.

I seriously hope Crytek lynch someone over this, it's one thing to get pirated version released online on release day, it's another to release it 45 days before the actual launch

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Now if they game stinks and no-one buys it they have an excuse for why it bombed.

But this is so dumb. If this piracy is really going to kill of a load of sales for a game, then there are steps a developer can take.

For any game maker, they aught to make the code so it is only playable on their internal machines by some sort of token system network authentication system until it goes gold. That would stop people sending out early versions as they would not work outside of the company.

Even in the later Q/A stages they should be play testing the game with all the DRM in place just like a normal buyer, so then if that version leaks it is no worse that when a purchaser uploads their DRM copy and keys.

Developers need to lock down their code as for the amount of investment going in can you really trust absolutely everyone that will come in contact with the code during it's development, now titles need a mini army to create.

And saying oh the community are so bad cause everyone is downloading. That is completely naive as if it is posted for free it will be downloaded. It is law of nature almost.

So as a legitimate buyer, I will now have to wait as the PC version will be delayed while they change keys, etc. What would be a good idea is for them to stick in a bit of extra content etc during the delay so that the legit version is still worth the money.

Also if it is a really unstable beta then I say publicity stunt or now we have the demo the PC people were after.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
How can Crytek respond, really?
The same way Valve responded when 90% of half life 2 was leaked and GSC responded when half of staker was leaked: Take the advice of their million strong QA/playtesting team to heart and fix the game before it comes out proper.

Everybody hated Kraken Base and Factory and everybody liked Traptown. Hence the first 2 aren't in HL2 and the latter got split into Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt, the best parts of the game.

In Stalker, everybody though that the original setting sucked but the horror bits and the bleak landscape were greatly appreciated. So they made it entirely set in the Zone.
similar.squirrel said:
Flood the torrent sites with convincing fakes while there is still time. That should lessen the damage slightly.
Yes, make everybody waiting for the demo think that the game is completely nonfunctional instead of just bad(which I and everybody else watching on Livesteam can attest), that can never end wrong!

Xan Krieger said:
How long till some idiot posts on Crytek's forum asking for help because something in the game didn't work right?
Hopefully quick enough so they can fix it before release. There is absolutely no excuse to still have bugs in your game if your QA team resembles a small country.
captain underpants said:
So, is it any good?
No. Have a gander at you nearest Livestream/Stickam equivalent as to why.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Obviously it's pretty heinous for whoever it was to have done this. It's basically industrial sabotage.
However, I'm not so sure that you're going to have millions of people downloading this, seeing as it is an incomplete build -by looking at footage on YouTube the sound effects seem pretty off. I have faith that most people will hold off, do the right thing, and wait for the finished product. In any case, I think that anyone thinking of getting this game illegally will have to consider that there will be A LOT of official attention on those torrents.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Asehujiko said:
similar.squirrel said:
Flood the torrent sites with convincing fakes while there is still time. That should lessen the damage slightly.
Yes, make everybody waiting for the demo think that the game is completely nonfunctional instead of just bad(which I and everybody else watching on Livesteam can attest), that can never end wrong!
You may have a point there. Maybe non-MMOs should be extensively beta-tested by the public as well. May lead to spoilers, but 90% of games nowadays don't have anything resembling a decent plot in any case.

The same way Valve responded when 90% of Half Life 2 was leaked and GSC responded when half of Staker were leaked: Take the advice of their million strong QA/playtesting team to heart and fix the game before it comes out proper.

Everybody hated Kraken Base and Factory and everybody liked Traptown. Hence the first 2 aren't in HL2 and the latter got split into Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt, the best parts of the game.

In Stalker, everybody though that the original setting sucked but the horror bits and the bleak landscape were greatly appreciated. So they made it entirely set in the Zone.

[/quote]