Report: Deus Ex Franchise Put on Hiatus

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
Ah well, I had my fun with HR, it was a great game and it's ending was good enough for me to leave it there.
Mankind Divided is a different story though, I just stopped playing 3/4 of the way through because it just felt so empty. It's not like I disliked it or anything, there was just nothing in there that made me care enough to continue. It just didn't have the charm that HR had and that was a real shame.

It'd be great if Square could really work up a masterpiece for the final installment, but if they feel that they've gone as far as they're willing to go with the series than they should leave it as it is rather than force out some generic garbage at a later date.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's almost like shitty business practices have consequences. This game was absolutely one that I would have gotten if not for all the bullshit.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
From the outside, it looks like there was a solid path to a solid game. And then someone with more authority than integrity decided that the thing could make more money if they slapped a convoluted pre-order system on it, wedged in a micro-transaction enabling sub-game system, and cut the game's story by at least a third.

A typical situation in these typical times, as Dave Matthews once put it. But I think it would be well to remember the first part of that story. It really seems less that Deus Ex screwed over a loyal fanbase than that someone at S-E did, screwing over Deus Ex in the process.

Maybe some day the powers that be will figure out that there are issues of quality and community that can't be easily plotted out on a spreadsheet.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I'd be very surprised if we didn't see this part of the Deus Ex story completed in the next few years. I don't think MD sales were anywhere near low enough to justify shelving the series for any longer than that.

Mar 30, 2010
So after Mankind Divided ended on such a crashing "To be continued!" note, they've decided to shelve the franchise? Fuck you Sqeenix, fuck you.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Fuckin' Superheros, man. Lazy, lazy ass superheros.

I've yet to understand why superheros in the main media hasn't run it's course yet.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Deus Ex franchise .... is it wrong for a person to love a franchise even though there's only one good game?

Personally I'm happy with the idea of Squeenix flinging this franchise over a rainbow. There's only so much good will you can squeeze out of love for one game of the series that most current videogamers probably haven't even played.

It's kind of like the Hitman series.

The only one I've played to conclusion is 2 and it doesn't help that I didn't even like the experience yet people kept screaming at me like it's somehow the good one. Can a namesake alone be enough to create nostalgia? I simply don't get Hitman fans to be honest and ditto I don't get why new videogamers will like the Deus Ex franchise when the first one they play isn't likely to be the only one worth the time investment.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
One one hand, sorry to hear that a much loved franchise that once embodied innovative, open design practices is being put on hold.

On the other, I'm really glad games that implement all the bullshit pre-order bonuses, micro-transactions, and other anti-consumer BS are being penalized. Of course, then something like Titanfall 2 comes out which is genuinely great with fresh ideas, free maps, and cosmetic micro-transactions only, and no one buys it.

So I guess I'm saying gaming is fucked.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
While I feel bad for the people who were looking forward to the next installment, I can't say that I personally feel too terribly distressed about the franchise getting shelved.

I liked Human Revolution, but I never found it to be anything particularly special. For some reason Adam Jensen just never clicked for me. Honestly, other than a few token connections here and there, it doesn't even feel like part of the same franchise as the original Deus Ex to me. Remove those handful of connections, and it's basically its own new IP.

I did end up buying Mankind Divided on launch, but I returned it on Steam because of all the anti-consumer crap surrounding it. I figured that if I'm going to have to put up with that shit, I'd rather just wait a few months and pick it up for $10 or $20 during a sale. Now I'm thinking I might just save my money for something more worthy.

littlebunnyfuufuu

Oct 21, 2015
But how will I Augment my Pre-order??????!!!!!!
:O

You guys were going to hold a game hostage for a few days to "Incentivize preorders"
Fuck off and die. Shame it had to take a decent Ip with it.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, turns out people hold off on purchasing when they hear you've cut their game in goddamn half.

On one hand I'm glad it presumably undersold as a direct result of their anti-consumer horseshittery, I'm just really bummed Deus Ex had to be the martyr that delivered the message.