Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Oh jesus fucking christ. I pity you guys downunder so bloody much, Michael Atkinson's going to have an orgasm over this one.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
But...how...wha? That´s the stupidest thing i´ve heard today, and thats saying alot. Fuck it, im gonna go play some heavy rain.

The Candyman

Jan 14, 2010
I'm sure that it's that violent people play violent games, not people who play violent games are violent.
It's like saying that people who have lung cancer smoke, but not all smokers have lung cancer. Or all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

"Psychologists say regular exposure to games like these actually rewires a child's brain, making them more amenable to violence," the report adds. "Such is the level of concern now, the world's leading researchers have been summoned to Sydney for a conference later this month."
Sadly this fact is true but what these reseacrhers fail to mention is that all repeated stimulus will affect the developing brain. The young brain is very plastic and new neural connections grow constantly between stimuli and responses. It saddens me to see reseacrh used to push an agenda. Thats why we need to question the vallidity of many "proven scientific facts"

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Please no one show the article to my mum, she's one of the kind of mums who believes anything she reads on the internet or the newspapers.

EDIT; *FACE PALM!* I guess I don't want to become violent so I'll take up smoking!

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
yeah, and nicotine's more addictive than heroin, we don't always do what's best for us but at least we have the choice.

Scylla6

Nov 17, 2009
I guess they are right, maybe we deep down are violent people. Now who's up for cracking some anti-gaming heads. I call dibs on the rocket launcher!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Oh fuck off you silly c*nts.

I really could not give two flying fucks about your made up bullshit.

ARGH!

Larkin99

Feb 14, 2010
Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2
Lol!

That is both hilarious and saddening. Hilarious because of their incredible sweeping statements, and saddening because these luddites still have some inflence.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
as if Australia's Imperial Mage clapped his hands and sent forth his drakes to call the wizards of the council to his dark tower
You should be the public face of games and gamers because you, sir, are awesome.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
I've had enough of these fucking 'experts' poncing about and making groundless assumpstions about gaming.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Smoking kills like thousands of people every month, and costs the health service several million quid a year.

Gaming doesn't kill anyone, directly of indirectly. And is very good for the economy.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Nova5 said:
This isn't surprising in the least. It's almost admirable, in a sick way, just how determined these technophobic old farts are to continue beating their heads against the wall.

Edit: Sorry, bit of an afterthought here, but just to nit-pick. Since when does playing through a level count as 'plotting' a terror attack on civilians? Was there a section where you actively plan out the attack and hand-off orders to your Russian comrades? If so, went completely over my head.
And also, why does nobody consider it a good thing that all the older Rainbow Six games let you create in-depth plans to thwart terrorist attacks and defuse hostage situations?

Anyway this is the most bullshit study ever. Mostly because if gaming was worse for my health than smoking, well I'd be dead already (don't smoke, but I have played games for 20 years)

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
...I think there from the University of Bullshit.

Also what part of the body does gaming affect?

Smoking affects the lungs and mouth, gaming doesnt do shit.

swenson

Sep 5, 2009
Playing videogames makes my clothes and house stink like smoke, cause health problems for people around me, and give me a hacking cough that kills me when I'm thirty-five? Shocking news indeed!

Although I suppose a lack of showering could do about the same, so maybe there is a correlation...

Nebr66

Aug 8, 2008
I think the good doctor should stick to making bread.LOL K!

but OT: "In Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2 (sic), the highest selling media product of all time, gamers plot terror attacks against civilians." I'm pretty sure that's only 1 level, which you can skip i think, and there's no 'plotting' whatsoever involved. Also i play violent video games and im no less violent than when i started, does this mean i can't get cancer if i start smoking?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
vrbtny said:
Smoking kills like thousands of people every month, and costs the health service several million quid a year.

Gaming doesn't kill anyone, directly of indirectly. And is very good for the economy.
Actually, some people died of dehydration, starvation, sleep deprivation, lack of motivation... okay, I made that last one up because I liked where it was going with the "ation", but otherwise, yeah.

Still, hundreds of thousands times more people die of drug overdose or self-caused cancers.