Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

gungravesan7

Mar 11, 2008
the only way games are hazardous is that they consume too much time. Time which children could spend studying or something. But it's not that big of a deal if you ask me...

The DSM said:
Also what part of the body does gaming affect?

Smoking affects the lungs and mouth, gaming doesnt do shit.
the eyes man lol

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
This is plain pathetic now.
It's a case of what I like to call. "Oh no, ze train, she will squash us, RUN!" ...it's only a film-syndrome

People are scared of new things, it's why films are crap, why discrimination exists, why everyone's at war, why Sega went bust, everything is the fault of the fools saying change is wrong.

...All hail president Max

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Wow. Enjoy your insane police state Australia. You guys taking advice from North Korea now?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Nova5 said:
This isn't surprising in the least. It's almost admirable, in a sick way, just how determined these technophobic old farts are to continue beating their heads against the wall.

Edit: Sorry, bit of an afterthought here, but just to nit-pick. Since when does playing through a level count as 'plotting' a terror attack on civilians? Was there a section where you actively plan out the attack and hand-off orders to your Russian comrades? If so, went completely over my head.
You would actually expect these people to care about details when they want to tear down a mature game?
I'm starting to see why Australia isn't about to get a Mature rating for its games, since their politicians and scientists are far from being mature themselves. I am almost compelled to feel sorry for the citizens of Australia, and yet they are allowing such tyranny and ignorance to prevail in a vocal majority we have been seeing these past months. I for one would like to know if there is any opposition to this going on and why aren't they speaking out in debate? Do they just have nothing to say or are they being suppressed?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Yeah because we all know that gaming is an addiction that will eventually kill you and everyone around you.

Fucking idiots.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Nova5 said:
Edit: Sorry, bit of an afterthought here, but just to nit-pick. Since when does playing through a level count as 'plotting' a terror attack on civilians? Was there a section where you actively plan out the attack and hand-off orders to your Russian comrades? If so, went completely over my head.
It's comparable to those "most realistic sex acts ever" in Mass Effect as reported by(I think) Fox. Everybody with an internet connection and working brain knows it isn't true, but when has that ever stopped the media from saying what the people want?

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The Candyman said:
I'm sure that it's that violent people play violent games, not people who play violent games are violent.
It's like saying that people who have lung cancer smoke, but not all smokers have lung cancer. Or all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
Video gaming is such a common past time these days that the whole "chicken and the egg" argument becomes incredibly weak. If there really was a correlation of video games causing violence, we would be in serious trouble.

oMonarca

Apr 23, 2009
Get Yahtzee to cover the conference! I would so very much love Zero Punctuation's take on this.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This researcher is right, look at all the violent children in urban slums, war torn nations and the third world! All locations where gaming in the top pass time...

...wait?

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I actually read over the ACCM's response on thier website. They're basicaly saying there shouldn't be an R18 rating because parents in Australia are too stupid to know what it means.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
WHy do I image these guys as sitting in the top of a over-the-top evil fortress with its own lighting storm and cackling to themselves on the top floor? "Yes, yes. Let us ruin those little gamers over there. Ehehehe. We shall cause them terror and discord and then take over the world Ehhehehe!" This report just seem more like a bad joke then anything else. It does make me worried though since if this crap can get on the news then I can't ever trust a single word on the news ever again ever forever.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone else think it's ironic that the country most against violence in the media was founded by violent prisoners?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
SikOseph said:
So it's safe to smoke again? Good thing I never stopped.
Well, in this backward world that these "researchers" and "experts" live in, apparently it's not only safe to smoke now, but it's good for you!

Loop Stricken said:
Andy Chalk said:
An Australian ...
... and at this point I knew precisely in what direction this story was heading.
It's a bit of a giveaway, yeah.

...does anyone else remember the times Austrlia used to be cool? Did these old foggies put the nice people in a cell somewhere?

Let the cool Austrlians go!