Report: Han Solo Will Have a "Gigantic" Role in Episode VII

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Han Solo has a big "role", no wonder Leila walks funny.
Pr0 said:
Theres also a small concern about how they're dealing with Mark Hamill's role....

Hes got a serious case of "Shatner's Syndrome" that I'm not sure an entire movie budget worth of CGI can fix.
He was 17 when the films came out, at 62 he isn't going to look the same.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone else get the feeling that Han Solo's survival chance is plummeting?

Its looks like Movie Bob might be right that they're going to kill him off to show how bad the new bad guys are.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Actually, his part is going to be huge because Han grew like one of those monsters from Power Rangers.

Pr0 said:
Hes got a serious case of "Shatner's Syndrome" that I'm not sure an entire movie budget worth of CGI can fix.
Well, he's starting to look like his father.

Assuming they didn't edit out Sebastian Shaw in one of the later special editions.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Nowhere Man said:
Ronack said:
J.J. isn't in moviemaking for making good movies. He's in it to make money.
Exactly. If you do a little research you'll find that a major reason J.J. wants to do Star Wars is for the marketing potential.
I mean look how many rebooted Star Trek crossover commericals we got like this.

That commercial makes me sad for all kinds of different reasons. :(
With Star Wars, cross promotions are nothing new so for J.J. it's ka-ching $$$$$$

Anyway, like others said it can't be any worse then the prequels and I'm willing to bet more then ever now that Han's gonna die.
Dodgy marketting? Haphazard licencing?! With the STAR WARS -brand?!!!!

That'sssss..... already happened. For like, 3 decades now? The Star Wars name and logo have been plastered to frikin everything, and it's the highest grossing licence in the WORLD!

.....Not saying it's a good thing, just saying that yes, it will be bad, and yes, it will happen again.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Adzma said:
So the entire film will be carried by a confused old man who looks bored throughout the entirety film? We're on track for Star Wars VII: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

This is all thats going through my mind now.

But seriously, putting the old heroes in as anything other than a cameo will do more damage to the film than anything else. Imagine what will happen when there is an inevitable death that happens and the new guard have to fly on their own after being overshadowed by the originals? I'm not really holding my breath on this being any good.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
This is terrible news. I never wanted the original cast in it to begin with, as it can only be a disappointment, and now that I hear they will feature in prominent roles, I'm quite convinced this movie will be underwhelming, if not utterly disappointing.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Rag Doll said:
Nowhere Man said:
Ronack said:
J.J. isn't in moviemaking for making good movies. He's in it to make money.
Exactly. If you do a little research you'll find that a major reason J.J. wants to do Star Wars is for the marketing potential.
I mean look how many rebooted Star Trek crossover commericals we got like this.

That commercial makes me sad for all kinds of different reasons. :(
With Star Wars, cross promotions are nothing new so for J.J. it's ka-ching $$$$$$

Anyway, like others said it can't be any worse then the prequels and I'm willing to bet more then ever now that Han's gonna die.
Dodgy marketting? Haphazard licencing?! With the STAR WARS -brand?!!!!

That'sssss..... already happened. For like, 3 decades now? The Star Wars name and logo have been plastered to frikin everything, and it's the highest grossing licence in the WORLD!

.....Not saying it's a good thing, just saying that yes, it will be bad, and yes, it will happen again.
Well yeah, that's my point. It's easier and more lucrative for Abrams to jump on board the Star Wars hype train then it is to whore out his spin on Star Trek considering how Star Trek franchise's licensing and merchandising rights are split between CBS and Paramount.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766

I personally don't care as long he keeps the lens flare to a bare minimum.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Pr0 said:
Main deal is, Expanded Universe now being "unofficial" aside, theres a rather glaring bit of stuff that you can't just write over with a movie and thats Han and Leia's children, Jacen and Jaina.

Primary issue there though is that without Mara Jade, Jacen Solo doesn't become the new great tragedy and betrayal....not without some heavy re-writing.
That's probably why the EU is getting written out. Besides, it was never perfectly consistent even from the beginning. For instance, the entire plot of The Last Command hinges on the nature of the Spaarti cloning process, which is completely incompatible with what the movies say about the Kamino cloning process. While I would love to see a big-screen version of the Thrawn trilogy, it just doesn't work with what's currently written. I think that Timothy Zahn was the first writer to delve into the history of the Clone Wars, and thus what he came up with doesn't match what became film canon. Hopefully they'll take inspiration from the good bits of the EU at least. Disney, take note from your other nerd-film department: gratuitous canon references sell.

Bob will probably have a minor stroke watching it,
Oh, Bob has a minor stroke when the city changes the trash pickup day. This shouldn't be a surprise.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
You'd think they would have learned from the EU that shafting the younger characters in favor of trotting out the increasingly aged original heroes is not a recipe for success...

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I find it difficult to talk due to all the drooling at the possibilities of the new movie. The excitement is only going to get worse, again, until I see the movie. The original cast is back, and nothing could get me more excited or happy! I am really bummed out about them ditching the expanded universe, though, as I had read pretty much all post Jedi books, and liked them all, and LOVED a bunch of them.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
havoc33 said:
This is terrible news. I never wanted the original cast in it to begin with, as it can only be a disappointment, and now that I hear they will feature in prominent roles, I'm quite convinced this movie will be underwhelming, if not utterly disappointing.
I think you are definitely a VERY small minority on this. I couldnt be happier! Luke, Leia, and Han have been a big part of my life since I first watched Star Wars waaaay back on May 25th, 1977, and the fact that they will have such a big role in this movie has me beyond happy.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Also, Spoiler Alert: Jar-Jar Binks was frozen in carbonite, and will be revived in the opening scene.

He will accompany our heroes on their quest though all three movies. You're welcome.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This news makes me... nervous. Han Solo survived the horrors of the last movies by not being touched. Now?

Well, there's a lot on the line. I suppose I could always mentally classify these movies as non-canon like I did with the prequels but I'd rather not. Please have a good story.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Casting's been announced: http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

"Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film."

BillDaCatt

Aug 5, 2009
Why are the droids back? Sure they are the comedy relief and sometimes a vehicle from one event to the next. But why do we have to do that with the same tired old droids? That's like keeping the same car, television, or cellphone for four decades! This is Star Wars, not Antiques Roadshow! Get an upgrade once in a while!

And why hasn't Han Solo been killed in a glorious firefight prior to the opening credits? I expected that we might see an old Princess Leia in some kind of hand-off role for the new movies, but why is anyone else in this war-torn universe still alive? As often as we see ships and planets get destroyed in the Star Wars movies, you would think a main character or two would fall down and die once in a while. Please let Han and Leia's roles be restricted to a decades old distress call from people long since dead.

The Star Wars universe has the potential to be infinitely new and interesting, but instead of new and interesting we get a tired old soap opera with the same old characters. No thanks!

Maybe I'll watch it when it comes out on Netflix.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
BillDaCatt said:
Why are the droids back? Sure they are the comedy relief and sometimes a vehicle from one event to the next. But why do we have to do that with the same tired old droids? That's like keeping the same car, television, or cellphone for four decades! This is Star Wars, not Antiques Roadshow! Get an upgrade once in a while!

And why hasn't Han Solo been killed in a glorious firefight prior to the opening credits? I expected that we might see an old Princess Leia in some kind of hand-off role for the new movies, but why is anyone else in this war-torn universe still alive? As often as we see ships and planets get destroyed in the Star Wars movies, you would think a main character or two would fall down and die once in a while. Please let Han and Leia's roles be restricted to a decades old distress call from people long since dead.

The Star Wars universe has the potential to be infinitely new and interesting, but instead of new and interesting we get a tired old soap opera with the same old characters. No thanks!

Maybe I'll watch it when it comes out on Netflix.
Because they are one of the few characters who appeared in all the movies. And they're droids, so they can last for many, many years. If you had some droids who had many adventures with you, wouldn't you like to keep them instead of buying new ones?

I just expect Jar-Jar to be alive and old in this movie and get killed in the first minutes by some light saber slashing or something.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
God this movie is gonna suck so hard. So hard.

There's literally no reason for any of the original cast to be anything more than background characters to introduce the new, fresh characters that this trilogy should be carrying forward. The fact that anyone involved in the production even thought it was a good idea to bring them in as major players in the movie, let alone had enough power to force it to happen, tells me everything I need to know about the quality of this movie.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Take some risks with the story everyone is going to go and see it anyway!

Seriously this seems so much like a "let's get the existing fanbase excited" announcement since Han is one of the most popular characters.

If "Abrams teases the inclusion of Boba Fett in Star Wars 7" happens in the next month or two then I'm not going to see it purely out of spite.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I'm thinking someone is going to die...And it isn't Han Solo.

Please JJ...Don't show his death on screen :( please :( i don't think i could bare it.