Report: Internet Explorer 9 Doesn't Suck

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Opera user here and never changing. IE is dumb, firefox is a little to bulky for me. As for chrome, I don't trust google with any of my information. Plus it has ads all up in the browser which I found really annoying.

Also this study sound like BS to me. I have never gotten a virus since I've switch to Opera, unlike I would with IE.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I never got all the hate people have for IE. I use IE 8 and I'm perfectly happy with it. I've tried Chrome and IE 9 and they both felt...I 'unno, not right. IE 8 to me just feels comfortable.

That said, a browser is a browser. Does it really matter how you recieve content if the content is pretty much the same anyway?

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
If this was any company but nss labs this might mean anything.
These guys said the same about IE 8, and have a history of producing Microsoft brought and paid for reports.
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200912/3268/Can-you-trust-the-NSS-Labs-report-touting-the-benefits-of-IE8

If labs which dont have history of getting most of their funding from microsoft and dont use a tiny sub set of urls specifically that IE blocks then this might actually mean something...

But until then treat it like the microsoft slideware it is

FlipC

Dec 11, 2008
Dear Microsoft ,

There'd be no need to prevent people from leaning on your wall if you hadn't made it out of tissue paper in the first place.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, since it asks whether or not to block almost everything, ofc it will block malware.
But I don't need a browser which will block everything or nothing. No real middle ground.

Also, the simplicity of Chrome is just to much for IE to handle.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
So all it does is make sure people aren't stupid enough to download dodgy files? Chrome is way better.
EDIT: Come to think of it I haven't had an anti virus in a year and my laptop is going fine. I run a scan every few weeks/months though.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
The first thing that came to mind when reading this article was that IE must have had that horrible configuration it comes with when you install Windows Server 2008. The configuration in which you can't really do anything on the web. So yeah, if you lock the browser down and make it practically inoperable then sure it's gonna block stuff by virtue of not really being able to perform its intended function.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I'm guessing they just did the bare bones of Firefox and chrome. No add-ons specifically designed for security, like noscript for Firefox. That's sort of like saying, "Wow, the Model-T has way more protection from wind elements and weather than a Honda Insight when it doesn't have those extras like windshield and a frame".