Report: Nintendo Switch Isn't as Powerful as a PS4

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Cold Shiny said:
(sigh) Am I the only person on God's green earth that understands that graphical power has nothing to do with how good the games are?

No, you're not the only person.

Though, you do seem to be one of those people that make the incorrect assumption that improvements to hardware capabilities are only about graphical fidelity.

Karadalis said:
These are but a few of the issues I've foreseen as potentialities for the Switch. I'd discuss some of the others but I would really rather not have the Nintendo Apologist Brigade other posters jump down my throat for daring to speculate.[footnote]For the record, I also foresee a lot of potential positives with the system, so I'm not all doom-and-gloom about it.[/footnote]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
It's a handheld. Why do people expect this device to cure cancer?
We are at the point where graphics seem to be the most important factor in games. If the Switch can't deliver, then it won't find mainstream acceptance.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Cold Shiny said:
(sigh) Am I the only person on God's green earth that understands that graphical power has nothing to do with how good the games are?

I am?

Well, my mom always said I was special.
There is a point where graphical power DOES become a requirement for "good" games. For example, if (as someone has mentioned on youtube- coughs- TB.) you got to play the new Zelda game demo on a prototype switch and the game is laggy as fuck, that reduces the quality and enjoyment of the game and gameplay.

If everything feels like slow moving syrup, then thats NOT good... for combat, movement, etc etc etc.

Imagine the Witcher 3 with a framerate of 15 frames a second (shudders)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
008Zulu said:
Guffe said:
If someone who is real tech-savvy sees this, can someone answer me if consoles are going to get much more powerful than the Ps4/Xbox1?
To hear Sony and Microsoft say it, the future of consoles is going to be upgradeable components. At which time they will cease being consoles, and become just very restrictive PCs. So they will be more powerful, eventually, but they will always be behind PCs.
Oh, I have completely missed that :p
Thanks.
And yeah, as you said, console will always be behind computers. Besides, if consoles start with "upgradeable machinery" they will surely make custom pieces which cost a ton more than computer parts.
We'll see where the world of consoles is going soon enough I guess.

Mar 30, 2010
Shock horror. Nintendo consoles have never been the most powerful on the market. This isn't so much breaking news as it is confirmation of what we all suspected would be the case. Besides, you probably don't need a Quad-Core EPeen 9000 running at 12.8 CircleJerks to process the textures on the next Paper Mario title. : /

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
chozo_hybrid said:
I agree, their games always look great because they know how to use what they have got and play well since they make that their priority. However, the third party support will suffer, since they don't know how to do anything but try push the limits on the visuals etc.
My own opinion of Nintendo [footnote]which is a brutal, love hate relationship because I love their games but hate hate their BS marketing practices[/footnote] aside, maybe this is more of an issue with third party devs?

I don't understand why most devs are obsessed with looking pretty anyway. It's not an issue for Atlus and look how much profit they make, whereas devs such as Square constantly over bloat their budgets, Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies and did not meet expectations. At this point, it feels like any dev that makes games for consoles and pushes graphics before all else must be allergic to money.

Games don't even need to be ultra realistic in order to be pretty, Okami and Windwaker have aged beautifully.

Power was never the main selling point of consoles, it was ease of use. With every generation becoming more and more like restricted PCs, they are destroying the reason for their own existence. If devs want to make the hardware melt, maybe they should just bite the bullet and make PC games.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Sony and Microsoft go for strength, Nintendo goes for the better known and less expensive to achieve versatility. This is the "Lateral use of withered technology" [https://medium.com/@adamagb/nintendo-s-little-known-product-philosophy-lateral-thinking-with-withered-technology-bac7257d8f4#.7o3ns1tpn/] that has been a part of Nintendo's philosophy, longer than many of you have been alive.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Well, not surprising at all. But still slightly disappointed. Wouldn't a handheld with the PS4's performance be pretty fucking neat. Especially with Nintendo games on it?
Oh well, as long as it's moderately powerful and doesn't suffer when outside of the docking station, I will be satisfied.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Can the PS4 play Legend of Zelda? No?

Then so what?

But then what do games even use this vague "power" for anyways? Nintendo made games are always nice looking, and I dont care for super high-level visuals. I dont see the difference between the new Skyrim and the old, aside from no way to turn DLC off easily.

I also couldnt tell the difference between the normal and HD versions of Wind Waker, but Wind Waker could be released today as is and look fine as far as Im concerned.

And people need to stop expecting Nintendo to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft. They dont and it is to their advantage. The PS4 and Xbox One are interchangeable at this point. But the Wii U stands out.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Well screw you Nintendo.

I didn't have much hope for this console in the first place but now it's right off my list....unless it gets Xeno lade X2 that is

loa

Jan 28, 2012
A tablet isn't as powerful as a dedicated stationary black box. Shocking revelations.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
A bit disappointing, but I hope this means the battery life will be good.

Moore's law ceased to be true this year so the difference between the very latest chips and the second latest chip should on the graphics side not be *that* big of a difference, and historically the most graphically advanced consoles are not the ones who have sold the best, so I don't think it is unreasonable that Nintendo can go by with "sufficiently" good graphics. It's battery life that worry me.

I see the Switch as Nintendo preparing for a console less future, and their value added feature would then be that it can be taken and played anywhere; if they screw up that part of the equation it will just be another console with a cumbersome controller. So it's reports of battery life that I am on the look-out for.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Xman490 said:
Well, it is just a tablet with attachable buttons and sticks.
It is an original system.
And it is going to flop.
When nyou consider that there's a finite number of smart devices a person is willing to lug around. They already have a samsung or ipad, or a smart phone. And let's face it. The 3ds is a better fit for mobile gaming.

What nintend o is trying to do is merge the console and hand held markets into one... which is why their stock prices took a hit because analysts knew that would ammount to a contraction as opposed to an expansion.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Not really sure that anyone expected a tablet to have the same specs as a PS4. That being said, Im also not really sure what market this thing is even aimed at. Though, if it doesnt have the same specs as a PS4, then I highly doubt that it is going to pull in the 3rd party developers for the big AAA games.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Eclipse Dragon said:
My own opinion of Nintendo aside, maybe this is more of an issue with third party devs?

I don't understand why most devs are obsessed with looking pretty anyway. It's not an issue for Atlus and look how much profit they make, whereas devs such as Square constantly over bloat their budgets, Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies and did not meet expectations. At this point, it feels like any dev that makes games for consoles and pushes graphics before all else must be allergic to money.

Games don't even need to be ultra realistic in order to be pretty, Okami and Windwaker have aged beautifully.

Power was never the main selling point of consoles, it was ease of use. With every generation becoming more and more like restricted PCs, they are destroying the reason for their own existence. If devs want to make the hardware melt, maybe they should just bite the bullet and make PC games.
A significant amount of market research has concluded that millennials are attracted to the "latest technological devices" as well as "achievements for trivial tasks". Since millennials currently fall into the age group with the most "disposable income", many game developers are concerned with making games that appeal to that group. A game that is "last gen" or "too hard" will be seen as a "significant risk" from a financial standpoint.

I realize you can point out any number of titles that do not follow this trend. By and large, the most "profitable" games do follow this trend. So, any game studio in the clutches of a corporate mentality will go "where market research says the most money is".