Report: NX Will Get a New Mario and Pokemon Within Six Months of Launch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329663.jpg

According to a new report, Nintendo is bringing out the big guns within months of the NX's launch.

MCV reports [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678] that Nintendo's mysterious NX console could be seeing not just The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but also new games from the Mario and Pokemon franchises within six months of the console's launch in March 2017. This is in addition to the third-party support the console will be seeing from the likes of Sega, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros.

The latest NX rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168031-Report-Indicates-Nintendo-NX-is-a-Portable-Console-with-Detachable-Controllers#&gid=gallery_6356&pid=1] describe a "high-powered handheld console" with two detachable controllers on either side of the screen, along with a base unit dock station that allows for playing games on a larger screen. MCV says that "sources close to Nintendo" are calling these rumors "100 percent accurate."

Nintendo responded to the NX rumors with the following statement: "Nintendo has not made any new official announcements regarding NX which is due to launch in March 2017. As such [we're] unable to comment on the various rumours and speculations circulating."

MCV reports that the graphics will be "somewhere between a PS3 and PS4," and that Nintendo will be attempting to target an audience "that sits between smartphone gamers and the more hardcore users of PS4 and Xbox One."

"It's a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one," according to one source. "It won't appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That's going to be a big job for the marketing department."

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Lizzy Finnegan said:
MCV reports that the graphics will be "somewhere between a PS3 and PS4,"
Hmm... I guess Nintendo is really sticking to their pattern of not trying to compete graphically and sell for a profit. Not really my cup of tea but there's still a chance...

Lizzy Finnegan said:
"It's a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one," according to one source. "It won't appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers.
Oh no.

In all seriousness, it makes sense that Nintendo would target an audience different from PS and Xbox. They've been hugely successful in the handheld market so playing a similar hand but on a larger scale is a logical step. If they become more regular with their first party titles and more able to attract third party games I might be interested. I used to love Nintendo, they just seem to have left me behind with the way they're moving forward.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Nintendo releasing a pokemon and Mario game!?!? STOP THE PRESSES!

In other news water is wet, the order of the weeks is still the same and a new COD is coming out sometime in Nov

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
omega 616 said:

In other news water is wet, the order of the weeks is still the same and a new COD is coming out sometime in Nov
Well, the Pokemon bit is a tad surprising, considering that the NX is being released less then a year after Sun and Moon.

Otherwise... yah, real shocker here.

Trying not to get too tied up in this NX business until Nintendo announces, which... May 2017 release? It can't be too long until something official.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
omega 616 said:

To be fair, they released a pokemon mobile game, so we're in the Twilight Zone. If it's a real Pok?mon MMO Nintendo's corporate office would implode into an earth-killing black hole when they try to fit all their money into it.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
JUMBO PALACE said:
Hmm... I guess Nintendo is really sticking to their pattern of not trying to compete graphically and sell for a profit. Not really my cup of tea but there's still a chance...
I think Nintendo itself may never go after graphics, especially in Mario games, they may pick studios who focus on them, but since they caught on that graphics don't sell games, aesthetics do.

quote="JUMBO PALACE" post="7.941304.23741391"]Oh no.

In all seriousness, it makes sense that Nintendo would target an audience different from PS and Xbox. They've been hugely successful in the handheld market so playing a similar hand but on a larger scale is a logical step. If they become more regular with their first party titles and more able to attract third party games I might be interested. I used to love Nintendo, they just seem to have left me behind with the way they're moving forward.[/quote]
I think this might be a problem in the long run, Nintendo has to compete with things like mobile market and watered down content that appeals to kids, they do have a family friendly record, but in this generation where Minions is what gathered the kids' attention I doubt their success on a kid-only market. Considering that Now Xenoblade series is a Nintendo exclusive, I have to keep an eye out for the NX.

And considering Microsoft's shift to PC gaming, the PS4 is going to have no real competitors and so they will have no reason to put more effort into their games, resulting in more The Order 1886-ish games.

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
omega 616 said:

I was going to go with "No shit Sherlock", but this is probably the better response.

I love Nintendo, but this console just seems super iffy. Hopefully they'll have the console support their games instead of the games supporting the console. We don't need terrible control schemes just because *cough*Star Fox Zero*cough*

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Such a sad thing when their idea of hype is to promise to continue to release the same franchises they've been beating down forever.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I guess if the much rumoured home/handle console hybrid is what NX is then the much hoped for home console proper Pokemon game is matter of when and not if. Although with Sun & Moon out so soon I would guess a Pokemon game like Stadium or Snap being more likely at this moment in time.

A Mario game on or around launch nearly always a given with Nintendo so I can't say I'm too surprised. At this point I'd rather know exactly what NX is, then they can start talking more about the games.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Really wish they'd release what the NX is. Nothing thats appeared has been remotely appealing. If they would just release a equivalent hardware console then i'd buy one. You mean I can play all the 3rd party games I love and still get my nintento fix? Sign me up. If its another Wii U thing where I get to play the big N releases every 6 months before I go back to my PC/xbone then meh.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Most likely it will be another 2D Mario game and Pokemon will be a Sun/Moon port. NX is a handheld as well.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Just say what the fuck it is already, jeez.

Its a console! But also a handheld...and a smartphone...and a vacuum, and it can do your taxes AND your homework. Dirty dishes? Not with the NX!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
What's "MCV?" My chemical videogames? My classy vagina? Minxes crush voles? I could go on all day, you will have to kill me.

Moonlit crystal vice? Ooh, new progressive rock band name, 70s progressive rock though.

Hey!, I take offence at that comment about it not appealing to fans of the...oh wait, I'm not a fan, just an owner of tbe pisspoor. Many weird things appeal. You may continue as you were.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I guess if the much rumoured home/handle console hybrid is what NX is then the much hoped for home console proper Pokemon game is matter of when and not if. Although with Sun & Moon out so soon I would guess a Pokemon game like Stadium or Snap being more likely at this moment in time.

A Mario game on or around launch nearly always a given with Nintendo so I can't say I'm too surprised. At this point I'd rather know exactly what NX is, then they can start talking more about the games.
I am thinking something like pokemon snap being most likely. I don't know if there is really much appeal in a stadium game now that the pokemon games have gone 3d. Though it could be something totally new like the pokemon harvest moon cross over I have always dreamed of... Actually I kind of doubt that, but I can dream.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I just wish they would reveal the damn machine already, it's out in what? Six months? No information has been released to the public officially, how is it supposed to see when people don't know what they may be saving their money for.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I guess the new pokemon stadium is on the way. Actually kinda cool.

I still already have a vita, though.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I have no idea what they are thinking over there, but it will either be a great success...or a colossal failure. There's no real middle ground, as far as I can see.

Lizzy Finnegan said:
Why am I not surprised. In all seriousness, I'm fairly certain the new Mario will be New Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 3D [insert title of previous Mario game here]. While it's all well and good to hope for another 'good' spinoff Pokemon game (because that is what it will be), it's more likely we'll end up with Pokepark 3: Please buy me!

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
I just wish they would reveal the damn machine already, it's out in what? Six months? No information has been released to the public officially, how is it supposed to see when people don't know what they may be saving their money for.
Ya ... 6 months ...

What's the launch line up? Who else is developing for it?

Also seriously, another handheld already? Or is this a home console? What about the Wii U then?

Igor-Rowan said:
And considering Microsoft's shift to PC gaming, the PS4 is going to have no real competitors and so they will have no reason to put more effort into their games, resulting in more The Order 1886-ish games.
You speak as if Sony makes most of the PS4's titles ...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So is it a New new Mario game, or are they just announcing a Mario game for the console? Also, it seems redundant to announce a Mario game, they seem to re-release the same ones over and over again for their new consoles.