Requesting emotionally complex music

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Evening Folks,

Just chanced upon this little beaut by Trent Reznor;

Never seen the film, so I've listened to it completely out of context but I'm a real fan of this kind of music anyway and I'm wondering if you guys know anything like it. Preferably non-vocal but if there's a track that really gets "the feels" across (Think Sinead O'Conner), post it up anyway.

So any OST's or songs you've heard that just grab your attention and make you either think or feel something, post it up and talk about it. Maybe listening to it helped you during a bad time or helped you stay on task during an epic homework sesh. Maybe like me, you sit and listen to different kinds of music until you find something that just seems to resonate with you, helping to either identify, change or enhance your mood? Whatever it is I'd love to hear it.

Also, cause apparently the above song is meant to make different people feel different emotions, what do you feel when listening to that song? I feel a real sense of peace. Like it has the ability to drown out the background noise in my mind and let me experience the bliss of enjoying a soft piano with a clear mind for once.

EDIT: Okay, just seen the amazing songs thread :S I had an old tab open when I reached for the new topic button please don't judge me :D

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
I would recommend Tool. They have a subtlety in the lyrics and music when it comes to expressing complex emotions.

Dec 14, 2009
Give this a listen, all the way through.

The change in tone for this track is just beautiful.

Love the mash up of genres.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
hmmmm

might not quite be the same without context but THIS gets me everytime (the video is the opening to the original film....remastered and original comparison)

also

(I highly recoment Parprika)

and more NIN

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Oh I love that song!

Check out Memories from the amazing movie Moon

edit: Also, Suo Gan gets me every time.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
Man, I still haven't found out how to link videos on the escapist aside from the direct to youtube link. FORGIVE ME!!!!

But I feel I must post because music is one of my most cherished everythings. And I think I have a few songs like those you described in the original post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kGAz6HYM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM

Two of the best film composers ever right there. Haunting and brilliant. Some of my favorite films as well.

And as far as songs with lyrics go, Echoes by Pink Floyd is one of the most impressive single compositions I have ever heard. No hyperbole anywhere. I don't joke about music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0VBWnUhvU

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Alternative said:
I would recommend Tool. They have a subtlety in the lyrics and music when it comes to expressing complex emotions.
Very familiar with Tool as they are one of my favourite bands, but thanks anyway!
Daystar Clarion said:
Give this a listen, all the way through.

The change in tone for this track is just beautiful.

Love the mash up of genres.
All three albums make a regular appearance on my ipod :)

Vault101 said:
hmmmm

might not quite be the same without context but THIS gets me everytime (the video is the opening to the original film....remastered and original comparison)

also

(I highly recoment Parprika)

and more NIN

Again, familiar with the first two vids, Paprika and GITS are amazing films. NIN have always been very hit and miss for me. This ones a miss i'm afraid. I prefer less cluttered music.

Cheery Lunatic said:
Oh I love that song!

Check out Memories from the amazing movie Moon

edit: Also, Suo Gan gets me every time.
Ah yes, I love Clint Mansell. I've seen and loved moon, thanks for bringing this song to my attention, it's beautiful.

Also, Empire of the sun, great movie, great soundtrack :D

I have two other examples for you; both indicative of the kind of music I'm looking for, but excellent suggestions so far!

I can't express enough love for this one.

and

A great mood piece.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Try Devin Townsend's songs like: Terminal, Winter, or something, perhaps...

Or, a song that is apparently by Trent Reznor (Rumoured to be 'Tapeworm') "It all fades".

I find this piece rather emotional...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Raven said:
Again, familiar with the first two vids, Paprika and GITS are amazing films. NIN have always been very hit and miss for me. This ones a miss i'm afraid. I prefer less cluttered music.
another NIN..not exactly soundtrack like and mabye alittle emo for some but I kind of like it

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I know quite a few emotionally charged songs, but I'm gonna' opt here for 1 game track cover by an orchestra, and one song for the time being.

London Philharmonic Orchestra's Mass effect 2 Suicide Mission

Gary Jules' Mad World

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Trentemoller does some good tracks which I think fit your description! (As I am at work, I can't veiw videos, so I am sorry if this is totally wrong! :S)

How are they?

Aaron Foltz

Aug 6, 2012
Seeing a lot of Reznor. Moon OST is done by Clint Mansell, which formerly worked with Reznor on PWEI's last album. Mansell's scores are, well I can't explain, just look on imdb.com and start Utubing his stuff. (also worked on Mass Effect 3)

Been stuck on this for the last day or so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt0t9j7lHI4

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, if you are not afraid to explore the... darker side of human emotion, metal always has your back, yo. :p

Aaron Foltz

Aug 6, 2012
and to think you were going to post nin's original gave up video. Ya know, leatherface, chainsaws, blood. All in its VHS glory.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I think these deserve a mention, all from video-games as well.