Research Review Finds No Conclusive Link Between Games and Violence

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Research Review Finds No Conclusive Link Between Games and Violence

Videogames only effect behavior for a very short amount of time, suggests Australian review into violence and gaming.

The idea that playing violent videogames will warp you into a more violent and aggressive person has seemingly been debunked, as a review commissioned by the Australian government, which scoured piles of existing research, found no conclusive proof of that that would happen.

The review is part of the ongoing deliberations about the creation of an R18+ rating for videogames in Australia. The Federal Minister for Home Affairs, Brendan O'Connor said that there was more evidence to support the idea that violent games had more effect on people in the short term than the long term, although some of the research suggested that even then its influence was relatively minor. O'Connor added a caveat to that statement, however, saying that he didn't think that particular research properly investigated other potential factors, like home life and how aggressive the subject was normally.

O'Connor said that the countries censorship ministers had requested that existing research into the link between violence and videogames be examined and summarized in order to help them make an informed decision. He was keen to see the decision-making process move forward, and wanted to provide those who would be casting their votes with as much "robust" background information as possible.

"Australia needs a consistent classification system," O'Connor said. "That protects young minds from any possible adverse affect, while also ensuring that adults are free to make their own decisions about what they play, within the bounds of the law." These comments are quite a change in tone from former Attorney-General Michael Atkinson, who made it quite clear that he had no problem taking choices away from adults if it meant children weren't exposed to violent games.

Obviously, this review isn't going to magically make everything better, but it will go a long way to countering one of the main arguments about relaxing the restrictions on games in Australia. The next Attorney-General meeting is on December 10th, where the matter will be discussed further. Hopefully this review will help push the Attorneys'-General collective opinion more allowing games to come out in Australia without having to be sanitized and censored first.

Source: GameSpot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6284706.html]

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
So former British Criminals say that games don't cause violence.

I hope Fox News doesn't quote that statement...

Apr 28, 2008
So no more influence then movies/books/tv/comics and whatnot?

Thats what we've been saying for years!!

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
and now we can watch the media completely ignore this and still go nuts on gaming.
I hope the attitude changes after the video game supreme court ruling.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010

alleluyah

on a side note, yeah, everyone who put a little bit of interest and study deeper into the matter, already knew that videogames are not linked to violence the radical way they think =P

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Good to hear, but ultimately it seems a bit pointless: those who are for gaming already know this, while those who are against gaming will take the time-honoured "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA" approach like they usually do.

Still, it can't hurt.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Can we get past these petty arguments already? It's kind of sad, that we're still in this pitiful argument that is so manipulated by bullshit that people ignore reality.

Here's an idea for the government. Go play a "violent videogame" for 2 hours, good. Now do you want to kill someone?
No.

Problem solved.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Well they've basically just summarised existing research so it's nothing we've not heard before.
Yes, we know that.

Unfortunately, everyone with a point to make has been using the argument "That was just one study! It could've EASILY been Biased!"

Now, they've combined everything, and found the perfect middle ground. The most "Acceptable" argument possible, if you will.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
So being exposed to violent games has no lasting effects on a person's tendency to violence? And it really comes down to a person's home life and existing violent tendencies?

Australia's Government gained the power of COMMON SENSE; PROVEN BY SCIENCE

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I think I can speak for all of us when I say the following sentance: "I fucking called it!"

I would so love to rub this new bit of information into that bastard Yee's face at in Cali for wasting our time with that state's disgusting law they're trying to shovel through.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
This just in: Australians prove what we knew all along. Even money says this doesn't get any press on FOXNEWS.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It's been rebunked and debunked so many times it must have whiplash.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If that's a literal quote there it seems like doublespeak to me. It can easily be interpeted in some ways that make it just as bad as Atkinson ever was, and scarier at the same time since they guy speaking is apparently smarter.

It's like this, if they see the purpose as being to protect minors from ANYTHING that could affect them adversely, well that's pretty much a shotgun that can be applied to anything. The comments on adults seem to imply that he's more open minded, but at the same time if you think about it the whole bit about "bounds of the law" means that since law is being set here in regards to this subject that he could very well wind up greatly limiting the content adults can choose to expose themselves to, given what he's saying about children and what policies he might wind up setting.

I am probably not articulating this well, but to be honest this strikes me as simply being a bigger weasel. Then again I'm a cynic at heart.

Studies also work both ways, I'm sure there are plenty of studies being lionized by the other side at the same time this is being posted here. It's really impossible to have true impartial sources nowadays, everyone has an angle.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
killamanhunter said:
So former British Criminals say that games don't cause violence.

I hope Fox News doesn't quote that statement...
Well its considered EXTREMELY impolite to mention it to Australians (Like asking the Pope about the Crusades) ...So yeah Fox will be all over it.