Researcher Links Media and Violence

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
you know, even if this ends up being absolutely true, it just means you should stop buying kids games we already know they shouldnt be playing anyway. which you should already be doing anyway.

so wtf is the point? a research article isnt going to stop the ineffectual parents who dont care what their kids are doing with their free time.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth to what he's saying.

We could just skip this discussion if parents would actually think about giving their 8 year old child a copy of Black Ops or Condemned, but no...

erttheking said:
You know, video games have been around for...what is it 30 years? I'm pretty sure violence existed before then. I'm pretty sure Hitler didn't start WWII because a Jew beat him at Halo. Godwin's law I know, but still my point stands.
But that's irrelevant to the point he made. He didn't say all violence was or is caused by video games. Read the article again for proof.
I know I know, but people who think that video games cause violence seem to act like a good deal of modern violence is caused by video games as opposed to people just being naturally aggressive.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Cyrus Hanley said:
That doesn't sound like "anti-gaming garbage".
Ok, then what is the point of even doing this survey? There attempting to make a point or gather "evidence" that could give them the upper hand to control the media.

To do otherwise is like collecting bananas only to throw them away afterward. They have an agenda like everyone else my friend.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i think it's almost impossible to pin aggressive behavior entirely on media consumed. And linking it is going to show different results in every single study as long as you use different people. meh on this researcher.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
What is the point of this? Everyone knows and accepts that there is a correlation between violent video games and increased aggression. But, as my Psychology teacher was quick to hammer into our heads, correlation DOES NOT prove causation. What this guy is saying has been addressed and discussed from the bloody 90s back with the first Doom. He's not breaking any new ground, all he's done is waste money on a pointless study.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
As a psychology student, as an empiricist, and as someone who has actually read many of these studies, I've really come to detest my fellow gamers. It annoys me that people make sweeping grandiose statements about how media consumption obviously cannot have any affect on someone at any level, despite repeated evidence to the contrary that they refuse to read. It annoys me when people use the same, tired, "common sense" arguments which have been refuted by empirical evidence. It annoys me when I'm forced to remember that, no matter what is done to demonstrate this connection between media and aggression, there will always be these mocking and condescending articles in every gaming magazine saying just how stupid we are. But most of all, I hate that people will call into question the integrity of researchers whose research they know nothing about and will never bother to actually read, simply because they have nothing but an ad hominem to add to the discussion. It hasn't happened yet in this thread as of the time of writing this post, but it's early in the day. I see it happen in every thread, so I'm sure it won't take more than a day to have one happen in this one.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Tomo Stryker said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Well I certainly want to strangle him.
Because we all know that no kid HAS EVER been naturally aggressive.
My point exactly. I was ruthlessly bullied and tormented as a child, instead of taking it I fought back. I wasn't going to be harassed by them and I certainly wasn't going to take it to an adult that wouldn't do anything.

Here is the clincher, I didn't even touch a game console or any video game of any kind until I was fifteen. What have you to say about that Doctor?
To be fair he's talking about Media, not specifically games. I'm quite confident that you watched tv or films as a child.
And he's not saying that it makes you violent in general, just that in the 15 minutes after experiencing violent media etc then you're more likely to exhibit violent traits or act violently.
(I think, skim read the majority of it)

Not sure whether I believe it but I'm not interested enough to look into the work to be quite honest.

Mar 7, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Meh, none of this "A Makes You Violent" crap would matter if parents got off their asses and parented like they're supposed to.

At 7-10 years old:

Your kid should not be reading "Lolita"

Your kid should not be watching "The Silence of the Lambs"

and

YOUR KID SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING CALL OF DUTY

Eesh.
Actually, my parents made a conscious decision to let me play super violent games when I was young because they knew it wouldn't change me. And it wouldn't.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
What peer-reviewed journal was his work published in? Oh he wrote a book? Thats cute. This guy can get credit for a Meta-analysis when he actually does one, and not just a book in which he gets more sales for more controversy.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
I agree.

We should ban fatty food!
Or we could inform parents about it and let them moderate their children's intake of it.

Tomo Stryker said:
DVS BSTrD said:
My point exactly. I was ruthlessly bullied and tormented as a child, instead of taking it I fought back. I wasn't going to be harassed by them and I certainly wasn't going to take it to an adult that wouldn't do anything.

Here is the clincher, I didn't even touch a game console or any video game of any kind until I was fifteen. What have you to say about that Doctor?
He would probably ask how that is even relevant.

erttheking said:
You know, video games have been around for...what is it 30 years? I'm pretty sure violence existed before then. I'm pretty sure Hitler didn't start WWII because a Jew beat him at Halo. Godwin's law I know, but still my point stands.
Where was it said in the article that video games created all violence?

Tomo Stryker said:
Cyrus Hanley said:
That doesn't sound like "anti-gaming garbage".
Ok, then what is the point of even doing this survey?
To let readers judge for themselves on issues like violent media influencing children's behaviour.

Tomo Stryker said:
There attempting to make a point or gather "evidence" that could give them the upper hand to control the media.
That's your inference.

Tomo Stryker said:
To do otherwise is like collecting bananas only to throw them away afterward. They have an agenda like everyone else my friend.
Yes but I think you're mistaken about their agenda.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Suave Charlie said:
Snip Power Activated!
True and I may have overreacted a little to quickly. I'm just so tired of people who have titles thinking they can control the general public. Its my right as a human being to make my own decisions, I'm an adult.

But for preteens and kids under cognitive thinking level whose next thought is, "What is mom making for dinner?" That choice is not and shouldn't be there's. There in lies the problem of bad parenting. You let anything else influence your kids before they can think outside of the box, well then you doing a swell job teaching them.

Can you sense the cynicism?

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
vxicepickxv said:
If video games make people more violent, wouldn't the repeated record breaking historical sales of violent video games actually indicate that an increasing trend of violence occur year after year, instead of the steadily decreasing trend that's actually occurring?
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. It depends which measurement you use to determine violence. And personally I think that MRI scans are far more correlated to behaviour than statistical analysis is. For the record, I do believe that video games and other media have lower crime rates, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they make individuals less violent. And speaking of the gaming community, well... this was the 7th post:

DVS BSTrD said:
In no other area of my daily life do I hear the term "I want to strangle him" - not even as a joke. Not in art galleries, not at work, not even at boxing clubs do I notice such a desensitisation to violence as I do in the gaming community. You could argue that the internet provides the anonymity to express such savage and animalistic sentiments, but also among real-life gamers have I noticed a tendency to be more violent in their attitudes.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
This again. *rolls eyes*

Nothing to discuss here. Why not provide links that movies cause violence? What about books invoking aggression? No? Well that's because that's STUPID. Same for video games.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Tomo Stryker said:
Cyrus Hanley said:
Then could kindly tell me it, since I obviously missed it?
"Although media is just one of many influences in our children's lives, it is a powerful and pervasive force and it's one that we can do something about, from parenting, to professional practice, to the making of policies and laws," he said. "We hope that by presenting a series of chapters that provide a summary of research evidence to date, readers will be able to judge for themselves."

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Who wants to take bets on how long till a counter-arguement for this comes out? Cause it seems for every study that says "Violent videogames cause violence", theres another study that either disproves it out right or shows that there is still not enough data to make a really say if its true or not.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Cyrus Hanley said:
Tomo Stryker said:
Cyrus Hanley said:
Then could kindly tell me it, since I obviously missed it?
"Although media is just one of many influences in our children's lives, it is a powerful and pervasive force and it's one that we can do something about, from parenting, to professional practice, to the making of policies and laws," he said. "We hope that by presenting a series of chapters that provide a summary of research evidence to date, readers will be able to judge for themselves."
Then you have bested me sir. I say your correct and bid you a good day.