Resident Evil 2 Remake was good. Just beat Leon's campaign.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Sounds like bad artificially inflated difficulty. Would probably play this on PC if I ever get around to it. Speaking of, I still haven?t gotten around to REVII yet either.
Whether it's good or bad is up to the person in question. Once your reticle has focused you can just aim around it without losing accuracy, but of you drop your gun and then re-aim, or if you move around (walk while aiming) you lose that focus. Quickly letting off shots on zombie heads is extremely tough. A good strategy is letting a zombie simple walk into you aim, so that you only need to account for their movement and not both yours and theirs.

This isn't an action game in the same way RE4 was. It's not even an action game like The Last of Us, which despite its more sluggish movement still made you feel like you could confidently take enemies out. In RE2 remake it's all about threat management, just as it is about item management.
Right on point as usual Shinji. Honestly, REmake2 is the best RE game, and I know it's going to be controversial to say that so soon, but I don't care. I like 4 and everything, but it had issues I noticed back then. REmake2 nails it in the pacing department like in the original version. The problem I had with later RE games (CV and various parts of 4-6) was pacing issues where things would either have too slow a start or go to a slowing crawl late in the game. I already finished Leon's A scenario, and 2/3 of Claire's B scenario. And then I am going to do the canon route afterwards.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CoCage said:
Right on point as usual Shinji. Honestly, Remake2 is the best RE game, and I know it's going to be controversial to aay that so soon, but I don't care. I like 4 and everything, but it had issues I noticed back then. ReMake2 nails it in the pacing department like in the original version. The problem I had with later RE games (CV and various parts of 4-6) was pacing issues where things would either have too slow a start or go to a slowing crawl late in the game. I already finished Leon's A scenario, and 2/3 of Claire's B scenario. And then I am going to do the canon route afterwards.
I would still classify RE4 as the "best", if only because it has the most entertaining characterisation, but RE2 remake is the first modern Resi game that nails that classic feel. It's like the perfect merger of the old game design and contemporary mechnics. And the way it updated Mr. X is just mindblowingly good. It's like the Crimson Head mechnic from REmake, but inversed. Where in REmake you got punished for killing evey zombie, in RE2 remake you get punished for leaving them alive. Mr. X turns all those zombies you previously chose to avoid to save resources into deathtraps.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Only played the demo so far, but enjoyed it for the most part. gotta wait for sales though...

Have to ask though is there a way to tone down the gore a little bit? The half-guy you 'rescue' with his entrails on display, and the dead cop (licker victim?) with a chunk torn out of the side of his face (and the way the camera lingered) were a bit uncomfortable for me. (ah, for the low-rez original where even someone splitting open from the larval monster gestating within had the gross factor reduced by the low tech graphics)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Windknight said:
Only played the demo so far, but enjoyed it for the most part. gotta wait for sales though...

Have to ask though is there a way to tone down the gore a little bit? The half-guy you 'rescue' with his entrails on display, and the dead cop (licker victim?) with a chunk torn out of the side of his face (and the way the camera lingered) were a bit uncomfortable for me. (ah, for the low-rez original where even someone splitting open from the larval monster gestating within had the gross factor reduced by the low tech graphics)
No. Unless you have the Japanese version which turns down the gore due to censorship.

By the way everyone, beat Claire's B scenario 2 hours ago, and unlocked 4th Survivor. Will play that later tonight. I will also do my Claire A, Leon B as well. Claire's B scenario really makes you feel like Aliens thematically. So freaking awesome.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
CoCage said:
Windknight said:

No. Unless you have the Japanese version which turns down the gore due to censorship.

By the way everyone, beat Claire's B scenario 2 hours ago, and unlocked 4th Survivor. Will play that later tonight. I will also my Claire A, Leon B as well. Claire's B scenario really makes you feel like Aliens thematically. So freaking awesome.
I don't know what the European release looks like, but I seem to remember the German versions are also usually toned down and sometimes offer an English option so maybe that will come around.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Been playing it off and on for the last week, made a lot of bad calls and now I've got a lot of back tracking to do before leaving the Police Station with Mr. X on my tail, while low on ammo and healthies.

I'm really enjoying it though, so glad I can actually play a version of Resident Evil 2 that actually feels good to play without the wonky tank controls.

Classic Resident Evil is a series I've always enjoyed watching more than actually playing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Zeraki said:
Been playing it off and on for the last week, made a lot of bad calls and now I've got a lot of back tracking to do before leaving the Police Station with Mr. X on my tail, while low on ammo and healthies.

I'm really enjoying it though, so glad I can actually play a version of Resident Evil 2 that actually feels good to play without the wonky tank controls.

Classic Resident Evil is a series I've always enjoyed watching more than actually playing.
I admit to fitting your description about having more fun watching than playing.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Terrific game but I felt some things got lost in translation. The A/B scenarios don't interlock and are just 2 variations of the same campaign that make no sense when combined. The original felt more cleverly put together in this aspect. I also didn't really like the cutscenes. The original felt very off-kilter and more hommage of vintage zombie movies rather than imitation of modern Hollywood schlock like the remake. Admittedly, much of this in the original was probably unintentional but it gave the game it's own identity and made it more unique and memorable rather than the dime a dozen cutscenes in remake.

Other than those few blemishes which might be more a matter of taste anyway I found this game to be pretty much perfect. The damage model of the zombies is unreal. The atmosphere is incredibly thick with environments of the original meticulously recreated. They also kept the original gameplay loop surprisingly intact despite an entirely new format. Granted, the zombies were spongy(maybe a bit too) spongy at times but thanks to what is probably the best damage model in any game ever, it worked in sustaining that tension.

Amazing accomplishment and after the stellar RE7 it's like old capcom is back. Hope rumours are true and that they are indeed remaking RE3 next. Can't wait for hi-res nemesis! :p

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Game is kinda overrated. not bad but its nothing special that critics praising it.

its nowhear near as atmospheric as RE7. the whole old house, new house and baker family is far more creepy than roaming around in police station. beside third person camera immersion breaking and zombies are boring bulletsponges enemies. i kill them and they repaired again.

I rate it 7/10 so far. its alright.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
B-Cell said:
Game is kinda overrated. not bad but its nothing special that critics praising it.

its nowhear near as atmospheric as RE7. the whole old house, new house and baker family is far more creepy than roaming around in police station. beside third person camera immersion breaking and zombies are boring bulletsponges enemies. i kill them and they repaired again.

How did you like playing as Claire?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:

I see what you did there. ;)

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:

havenot played as claire yet. leon is so damn boring so far.

Oct 22, 2011
B-Cell said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:

Just remember to not repeat IGN mistake, and start Claire B, not Claire A.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
B-Cell said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:

Is there any game that you enjoyed playing as a female protagonist?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
hanselthecaretaker said:
B-Cell said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:

Portal and thats it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
B-Cell said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
B-Cell said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:

Portal and thats it.
Claire gets a MAC-10 Submachine Gun and a M79 Grenade Launcher

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
For people who?ve played it, have you found any of these Easter Eggs [https://screenrant.com/resident-evil-2-easter-eggs/]?

Spoiler warning of course if you?re into that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have to disagree with B-Cell. Just because something else is an FPS does not make it superior to everything else. RE7 is a good game, but it's simplistic FPS that had its extra content held back and then rereleased in the Gold Edition. Though if I remember correctly, the all of the DLC became free if you bought and installed the base game. RE2RMK has more content going for it from the start, with free DLC on the way with Ghost Survivors. RE2 is getting the proper recognition it deserves and is not "overrated". I know you're not going to agree with me on this B-Cell, but I had to throw that out there.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Casual Shinji said:
votemarvel said:
I'm enjoying the game as well, about halfway through scenario A as Claire, but the game while having many improvements over the original has also brought across the thing I disliked the most.

Go to one side of the map to get a key, to go to the opposite side to get a crest, to go back to the other side to use it to open a door.

I remember how annoying I found this in the original and I kind of hoped we could have had some actual puzzles this time around rather than a continual tedious back and forth across the map in the remake.

The back and forth was a good way to extend the game's length back then, I would have liked to have seen something different this time around.
Taking that out would've gotten rid of most of the tension in this game. It's not so much about padding the game's length, but forcing you across monster-infested hallways because you either forgot a key or overlooked an unopened door. It also makes repeat playthroughs that much more enticing, because you know where to go, what to get, and when to get it. Along with the enemy placements it encourages a sense of a strategy that the game is designed around.
The thing is for me it has the complete opposite effect, if I know where everything is then what reason do I have to go back, especially since RE2R tells me when I've completely cleared a room. If I know where everything is and a near ideal route to go and get it, then all is left for me is the occasional jump scare.