Resident Evil 2 Remake was good. Just beat Leon's campaign.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
votemarvel said:
The thing is for me it has the complete opposite effect, if I know where everything is then what reason do I have to go back, especially since RE2R tells me when I've completely cleared a room. If I know where everything is and a near ideal route to go and get it, then all is left for me is the occasional jump scare.
Yeah, but you don't know where everything is. Not on your first playthrough. You only have limited inventory, you don't know what items to use where, and you don't know what or how many monsters you'll find on your way. You might've stored away the bolt cutters to make room in your inventory and then come across a chained door, or know you need to use the valve lying in the office but not be able to pick it up because you decided to hold onto the ruby instead of storing it. Juggling all of this is the puzzle element. Once you've played through the game this won't be much of an issue anymore, but if RE2 remake had "actual" puzzles they wouldn't be much a challenge either once you figured out the answer. Subsequent playthroughs become more about efficiency and speedrunning.

Sep 24, 2008
So, I beat both Leon and Claire multiple times. S+ rank for each. Stopped for a moment to catch my breath, and then I started thinking.

My first playthrough was a ten out of ten, game of the year... Up until the bosses.

We meet Birkin for the first time, maze like play with wide swings and a command grab you have to eat to progress the fight. It's easy to dodge, but there's no other way forward but to trigger the event.

Police Garage. Nice remix. More to do than in the original. No real problems with it.

Then the sewers.

The damn sewers.

I had to look up this monster (I probably could have just looked at my records and found the model), But the G-Type Adult [https://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-2/enemies/g-type-adult] started to make me really backpedal from the Ten out of Ten idea. And it started me thinking as well.

These feelings are based off of the Resident Evil 2 I knew. The Resident Evil mindset that you're constantly ignoring handgun ammo because it's a waste of space. You shouldn't be fighting, you should be using your natural speed and bait them out so you can run past them.

G-Type Adult is when I first realized they baked our favorite cake vegan yet swore they followed the recipe. To progress without damage you have to kill the G-Type Adult. It's been a while since I played the original, but I don't remember that ever happening in RE2.

But the G-Type Adult (when you first meet them) sits at the progression area. It's wide enough that you can't side step it. If it moves, it puts you in a stun animation where it will grab you. And worse still, your defensive items do little to nothing. It's actually worse with grenade, as it will drop you right in front of it, you'll be stunned by the grenade blast, and it will instantly command grab you again until you're out of items.

You're supposed to run past it's right side, but you need RNG luck that it will have moved far enough for you to do so. You can't push past it. It's not a design I like in the game.

But that brings up another issue. RNG. Now, I'm a severely unlucky person, but I do like some RNG in my games. But not like Resident Evil does it. The RNG likes you to have maybe two bullets per pick up. And that in itself wouldn't be that bad... if shot placement mattered. With RNG, it really does not. I've emptied non-upgraded Matilda magazines in legs and heads alike with not even a stumble. Health RNG makes getting 3-5 bullets per pick up kind of pointless.

But the damage to you is only variable one way. From 'Fine', you're either going to get 'Caution' or you're going to get 'Danger'. I've never had a grab that I could walk away from without any damage. That used to happen every once and again in the original. Not enough that you'll consider soaking grabs, but enough that you'd see it at least a few times per playthrough.

There are exceptions. Nothing feels like the Gods themselves Manifested to give you a kiss on the cheek when you're running low on ammo and you get a single shot head burst. Then you want to go back into the main hall and yell to the Heavens that you're ready for all-comers. Then the crawling zombie that you didn't see before comes up and gives you a single bite to the leg, putting you down to "danger", requiring 4 shots to the head just to stop it from moving. Not kill it, mind you, just put it to zombie sleep.

I know what people are going to say. "But you're not supposed to be fighting anyway! You're supposed to be running!". To you, I counter with "No, I should be SPRINTING". This game has done something that hasn't been done in a long time; It has brought legitimate threat back to Zombies. And it brings me out of the situation that these people aren't BOOKING it.

Even if they are pacing themselves, you see a red monster of sinew and arm-sized talons and you're moving at the same speed that you try to burn off a salad on a treadmill? You don't have to give me a dodge move (even though I think some actual people would try doing that), but let me truly increase the speed in a nightmarish battle for my life. From "I'm trying to find this section in the library" walking to "It's a nice day, I think I'll take a round the block" jogging, in an experience like this you'd think there should be an option for "JESUS CHRIST, I don't care if he's your long lost brother! Trip the ************, IT IS RIGHT BEHIND US!!" speed. At least for thematic reasons.

Not that it would matter with the Zombie Shinku grab. Zangief should take lessons.

Then from actual gameplay, I start to think about the world and how it doesn't make any sense. Like the Lickers for one. Lickers have no other senses than Hearing. Which is bullshit, because there have been plenty of times I stood perfectly still for it to know exactly where I was and pounce on me. But that's neither here nor there right now. Lickers rely on sound. They attack anything that makes noise. Other than "it would make the game easier", I do not understand they do not attack Zombies or the Tyrant. ESPECIALLY the Tyrant that will stomp around and sometimes step on it.

If I'm playing Leon B and I just met Claire at the gated fence, why the hell do I have to snap the chain that prevented me from getting back into the police precinct that I supposedly already snapped in Claire A? Did the Helicopter fall back down and burst into flames again after Tyrant pushed it up into the wall? Did the zombies change the water flow back because they are conserving for some reason (they don't need to, it's raining hard out there)? Who unboarded the door in that area that lets Leon get the Club key? Did the zombies replace the medals after Claire A went down into the secret passage, decided no one should go down there again because it's dangerous, and then reworked the codes? Did they do that with the arm and book too?

All of the sewers, all of the lab are exactly the same.

These are things I overlooked as a kid, but as an adult it removes me from the experience. Back then, it could have been handwaved with hardware limitations. But with such a small world, it strikes as laziness.

There are several sections we see that are just couches wedged in the way to prevent other people from coming in. Before the Birkin/G fight, we see the difference in strength between the two (although it doesn't make sense because Claire moved the exact same cabinet to find Elliot). So say only Leon is strong enough to move those couches to make an unique area for him. There are... weird holes in the wall that Leon might not be able to fit through, but Claire can. In the Stairway, we see metal doors that has to be openable. There were options to make the precinct truly unique for both playthroughs, and they didn't take them. It all strikes of laziness.

They had years and obviously talent. This could have been the Resident Evil 2 Hideki Kamiya could only dreamed to have made back in the 90's. But after thinking about it and letting my nostalgia die so I could judge it on its own merits... it does a lot good but comes up lacking in terms of deserving to be above the original. While surviving to be better, it came up with pleasantly serviceable.
To sum up, I like the game. But I do not love it any more. It ticks off just enough 'Cheap' Boxes in design that prevents me from having that level of fondness still.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
But that brings up another issue. RNG. Now, I'm a severely unlucky person, but I do like some RNG in my games. But not like Resident Evil does it. The RNG likes you to have maybe two bullets per pick up. And that in itself wouldn't be that bad... if shot placement mattered. With RNG, it really does not. I've emptied non-upgraded Matilda magazines in legs and heads alike with not even a stumble. Health RNG makes getting 3-5 bullets per pick up kind of pointless.
Seeing as the Matilda has a standard clip of 12 rounds that would have to make you really unlucky. Zombies can take a lot of shots to go down, but 12 shots to the head or leg without a stumble.. Can't say I've ever had that happen to me on Hardcore.

But the damage to you is only variable one way. From 'Fine', you're either going to get 'Caution' or you're going to get 'Danger'. I've never had a grab that I could walk away from without any damage. That used to happen every once and again in the original. Not enough that you'll consider soaking grabs, but enough that you'd see it at least a few times per playthrough.
On Standard I've had grabs not deal any damage. But even on Hardcore no attack will kill you unless you're in 'danger', except for one particular Boss attack. I haven't tested it extensively, but I never got killed by anything while I was in 'caution', just knocked into 'danger'. It is uneven since the same attack that would send you to 'danger' from 'caution' will equally send you into that state from 'fine'. But this does mean the game will nearly always give you one last chance to either get out of harms way or heal, even if you are in 'caution'.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016

beat it. the game is short. damn short. theres only 2 locations and thats it..

its fairly decent game but chore to play too. althought its best third person RE game but thats not saying much. its just better version of 4, 5 and 6 in the end.

Pros

It looks nice
It control nice unlike other third person RE games
Limited ammo
some good puzzles

Cons

Terrible combat once again like its a norm in RE game
Zombies are bullet sponges and takes multiple headshots
Bad boss fights
Cant break a light
Little to no variety

so all in all i rate it 6.5/10.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
B-Cell said:

its fairly decent game but chore to play too. althought its best third person RE game but thats not saying much. its just better version of 4, 5 and 6 in the end.

Pros

It looks nice
Limited ammo
some good puzzles

Cons

Bad boss fights
Cant break a light
Little to no variety

What do you mean by can't break a light?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
B-Cell said:

Pros

It looks nice
Limited ammo
some good puzzles

Cons

Bad boss fights
Cant break a light
Little to no variety

you shoot light and nothing happen. thats lazy design as game is set in corridors and rooms and you cannot shot them.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Haven't played the game, but I know you can't shoot zombies through windows. Maybe you can't shoot out lights either?

Not really sure why you'd want that in a Resi Evil game tho.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Just beat Claire A Leon B on Hardcore (not tried standard yet). Awesome game in terms of survival horror and gameplay. I missed this style of RE so much where you just to have run and conserve ammo. RE7 did it well but I think this Remake did it better. It's a massive thumbs up from me. Resident Evil is back.

My only negative is I wish the A and B scenarios were more different like in the originals, with slightly different bosses and having each story a bit more connected. But you can't have everything. All in all - an outstanding return to form. I think Capcom has managed to appeal to many old and new fans with this, which I never thought possible tbh. Great job.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Really not sure why i'm responding but...

B-Cell said:
You are supposed to avoid encounters if you can and only shoot when you need to. They are trying to make it hard for you.

That's the point. You aren't meant to kill them if possible - and if you can't get around them, cripple them instead and then run around them.

Bad boss fights
Subjective - it's a remake so I imagine they didn't want to stray too far from the originals. This game is not really about the boss fights anyway.

Cant break a light
Sorry?

Little to no variety
Variety in terms of what?

I'd say overall, stop playing survival horror games and stick to normal shooters if they aren't your thing rather than criticising a genre you clearly don't like. Or try it on hardcore and see how it's meant to be played.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
B-Cell said:
It's not short. You've played less than 25% of the game in 6.5 hours. You have to play through as Claire, and both character's have a 2nd game mode that changes everything about the game including the story. Plus there is a Hunk and Tofu playthrough.

Based on everything you've said, you clearly were trying to play the game like an action shooter (because you seem to only have one mind-set when it comes to gaming) and that defeats the entire purpose of this game. If you treat it like an action game, you are simply wasting your time and ammo.

Yet again you criticize a game without knowing anything about what you are doing.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
CritialGaming said:
B-Cell said:
It's not short. You've played less than 25% of the game in 6.5 hours. You have to play through as Claire, and both character's have a 2nd game mode that changes everything about the game including the story. Plus there is a Hunk and Tofu playthrough.

Based on everything you've said, you clearly were trying to play the game like an action shooter (because you seem to only have one mind-set when it comes to gaming) and that defeats the entire purpose of this game. If you treat it like an action game, you are simply wasting your time and ammo.

Yet again you criticize a game without knowing anything about what you are doing.
Eh, I wouldn't say the B-run changes everything, I'm actually kinda disappointed how little is changed and their individual stories still doesn't make sense. For an example, when I'm playing as Leon B, how did Claire get to the underground without solving the statue puzzle?

And the Hunk game mode takes ~10 minutes to complete, unless you're a speedrunner I don't think you want to complete it more than once.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Eh, I wouldn't say the B-run changes everything, I'm actually kinda disappointed how little is changed and their individual stories still doesn't make sense. For an example, when I'm playing as Leon B, how did Claire get to the underground without solving the statue puzzle?
The way you are supposed to look at it is like an interweaving web. Because they originally had limitations on content so they needed each scenario to have puzzles in them. Which meant they had to reuse the puzzles. So the way they want you to look at things is (if i remember correctly) the B scenario is the true order of events, so everything you do in the B scenario is what's cannon. So you have to picture the two playthroughs interweaving in such a way that whomever is doing the "B side" is the person actually solving the puzzles and clearing the way forward. While the A scenario person is trying to follow and pick up the pieces.

But as far as the scenario itself, it changes most things. Item placements, enemies, adds story elements. I mean it is the same areas but it's like a remix of those areas, because of original limitations.

It's funny how backtracking these days in game design is considered lazy, but old games like the first two Resident Evils made the backtracking make sense. Sometimes you can just be locked in a crazy mansion and be fine with trying to remember where everything is. RE 2 is the first game I've played in a long time in which I memorized the map, and find myself able to know exactly where to go for certain things. That exploration element that has you remembering "Okay I got this key so I can go back to that door on the east side 2nd floor and finally unlock that door which should have a puzzle piece I need to go back to the basement and solve that puzzle." and on and on.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
CritialGaming said:
The way you are supposed to look at it is like an interweaving web. Because they originally had limitations on content so they needed each scenario to have puzzles in them. Which meant they had to reuse the puzzles. So the way they want you to look at things is (if i remember correctly) the B scenario is the true order of events, so everything you do in the B scenario is what's cannon. So you have to picture the two playthroughs interweaving in such a way that whomever is doing the "B side" is the person actually solving the puzzles and clearing the way forward. While the A scenario person is trying to follow and pick up the pieces.

But as far as the scenario itself, it changes most things. Item placements, enemies, adds story elements. I mean it is the same areas but it's like a remix of those areas, because of original limitations.

It's funny how backtracking these days in game design is considered lazy, but old games like the first two Resident Evils made the backtracking make sense. Sometimes you can just be locked in a crazy mansion and be fine with trying to remember where everything is. RE 2 is the first game I've played in a long time in which I memorized the map, and find myself able to know exactly where to go for certain things. That exploration element that has you remembering "Okay I got this key so I can go back to that door on the east side 2nd floor and finally unlock that door which should have a puzzle piece I need to go back to the basement and solve that puzzle." and on and on.
As much as I loved the game, I have a similar problem with the A and B scenarios. OK, it was remixed (I knew they'd do at least that much), and I like that, but it was very different in the originals - it was loads better the way they did it originally with different bosses and how what you did in scenario A affected some elements in B to tie in better. You could also see completely different cutscenes in all 4 scenarios in the originals - that's not the case here. For sure multiple playthroughs would have been fresher if there have been more of a differentiation.

I think it would have been better if they kept it like that - although maybe some modern gamers would have been confused. not sure. I still absolutely love the game, don't get me wrong. It's a minor problem I have with it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I doubt anyone cares at this point, but I've played through enough of the game where I feel I can at least generate a somewhat informed opinion on the game, said point being returning to the police station from the carpark...okay, not that far in, but whatever.

So, at this point in time, I feel I can certainly call RE2 a "good" game, if not a "great" game. Or, more specifically, it's simultaniously engaging and endearing at the same time.

So, at some point in the police station, I realized that this game seems to have taken a leaf from the Outbreak sub-series in that unless you get a lucky headshot, the zombies just won't stay down...mostly. I mean, there's some areas where it appears I've been able to permanantly clear out at least some of the zombies, but these fuckers can be put down, and either shamble back up, or respawn when I get back to the area.

So on one hand this is good, in that it adds to the tension. Zombies keep coming, so there's more of an onus to conserve ammo and plan your routes better (found myself looking at the map a lot - not because I was lost, but because I wanted to take the path of least resistance as much as possible). On the other, I can't deny that I'm irritated a bit because whether you permanantly down a zombie or not seems to be down to RNG - headshots work, sure, but whether they work permanantly or not is another matter. I'm kind of reminded of RE1 Remake, with the Crimson Heads. There, in-universe and out of universe, there were a clear set of guidelines of what to do. Destroy the head, or they'll come back after a period of time. If you don't want that to happen, burn the body. Choose your targets well though, because you don't have enough oil to burn every single one. It meant more backtracking, but I least got 'the rules,' as it were.

Still, despite what sold old school fans might say (and I say this as an oldie whose first RE game was RE1), the over the shoulder style is much more condusive to horror here, in that where you shoot matters, and landing headshots can be difficult, especially when facing multiple zombies. Also, Lickers. Fuck Lickers (in a good way). Oh, and Birkin boss battle one, where there's actual strategy as opposed to "stand and shoot."

So, yeah. I'm enjoying the game, even if there's irritations with it. If I had to rank it, it would probably take the #3 spot, losing out to REmake and RE4. Still, early days yet.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
0/10 Leon didn't shout "ADA WAIT!!!" even once. In all seriousness, it's overall a good remake. Or at the very least a good re-imagining. It's pretty much what I would want out of a modern Resident Evil game and did some much needed fixes. Cutting melee attacks entirely for example was something that really needed to be done, as well as making the knife be mostly garbage again. Them making the zombies actually take effort to kill/avoid was needed too.

For one, their AI is vastly improved and they can be a real pain in the ass to dodge now, especially on Hardcore where they seem to move much more erratically and are more aggressive. I do challenge/speed runs of the RE games for fun and this game raised the bar a bit. I find myself not wanting to try a dodge far more often because of how damn erratic they are and how quickly they can react at times. Even when a dodge seems easily possible, they'll surprise me every now and then which didn't really happen in the older games outside of rare occurrences. Granted I'm still figuring out a few things, but overall they seem smarter and more dangerous which is a good thing.

They have a hidden HP bar so to speak and it seems to vary from zombie to zombie. The only way to instantly empty it is to blow their head off, otherwise you'll be chipping away at it as they're quite tough. This has always been the case, but it's much more noticeable now as they can take some serious punishment. Headshots don't seem to do more damage either unless you're using the Magnum or Shotgun, which are instant kills if you shoot them in the head. Headshots with the pistol give a chance to blow it off, and sometimes you can get lucky. But it doesn't seem to happen for sure unless you shoot a hell of a lot of bullets into their head. I actually find it easier to cripple them by taking out a leg and either finishing them with a knife or headshots, or just moving on if I know I'm not coming back. I've never seen a zombie with a lost leg ever get up again and they're certainly easier to deal with that way. Also if you're not sure if they're dead, give it a slash or two with a knife. So yeah, shoot them in the legs. Unless you're playing as Leon who has the shotgun, in which case it's much better to spend some shells removing inconveniently placed zombies.

The scenarios being similar was kind of a let down, as was the removal of some enemies such as the spiders. However I didn't really go into this with any kind of excitement or high hopes at all. I love the Resident Evil games, but I kind of avoided any press about this and actually didn't realize it came out until over a week after release. I was expecting a decent re-imagining of 2 and that's pretty much what I got and more. Plenty was changed but I feel that, mechanically at least, overall it was for the better. Hopefully whatever comes next keeps going in this direction.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
So, I doubt anyone cares at this point, but I've played through enough of the game where I feel I can at least generate a somewhat informed opinion on the game, said point being returning to the police station from the carpark...okay, not that far in, but whatever.

So, at this point in time, I feel I can certainly call RE2 a "good" game, if not a "great" game. Or, more specifically, it's simultaniously engaging and endearing at the same time.

So, at some point in the police station, I realized that this game seems to have taken a leaf from the Outbreak sub-series in that unless you get a lucky headshot, the zombies just won't stay down...mostly. I mean, there's some areas where it appears I've been able to permanantly clear out at least some of the zombies, but these fuckers can be put down, and either shamble back up, or respawn when I get back to the area.

So on one hand this is good, in that it adds to the tension. Zombies keep coming, so there's more of an onus to conserve ammo and plan your routes better (found myself looking at the map a lot - not because I was lost, but because I wanted to take the path of least resistance as much as possible). On the other, I can't deny that I'm irritated a bit because whether you permanantly down a zombie or not seems to be down to RNG - headshots work, sure, but whether they work permanantly or not is another matter. I'm kind of reminded of RE1 Remake, with the Crimson Heads. There, in-universe and out of universe, there were a clear set of guidelines of what to do. Destroy the head, or they'll come back after a period of time. If you don't want that to happen, burn the body. Choose your targets well though, because you don't have enough oil to burn every single one. It meant more backtracking, but I least got 'the rules,' as it were.

Still, despite what sold old school fans might say (and I say this as an oldie whose first RE game was RE1), the over the shoulder style is much more condusive to horror here, in that where you shoot matters, and landing headshots can be difficult, especially when facing multiple zombies. Also, Lickers. Fuck Lickers (in a good way). Oh, and Birkin boss battle one, where there's actual strategy as opposed to "stand and shoot."

So, yeah. I'm enjoying the game, even if there's irritations with it. If I had to rank it, it would probably take the #3 spot, losing out to REmake and RE4. Still, early days yet.
I care and I agree with what you're saying (even if I didn't agree I's still care). When it comes to survival horror, I usually do prefer over-the-shoulder. as far as I'm concerned right now, RE2 and Evil Within 2 are the best survival horror games this generation that use over the shoulder.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So now Mr. X is chasing me.

Mr. X forces me to keep reloading my saves because it's often better than trying to fight my way out of a corner.

Mr. X hates me.

Mr. X won't stop coming.

Mr. X doesn't feel remorse, or fear, and absolutely will not stop...wait, wrong franchise.

Fuck Mr. X

Snark aside, I have to give credit where credit's due. I commented that Mr. X in Vanilla RE2 was pretty paltry compared to Nemesis, in that he'd only turn up in set areas, and you can easily down him if you equip the machine gun. But this guy, in some ways, is even more intimidating than Nemesis. Slower, sure, but he just keeps coming. I've since pieced together that if I walk rather than run I can buy more time, and that he's got the ears of bat (a.k.a. try not to fire anything, ever), but it's about the right amount of frustration - enough that I want to keep playing, enough that I never feel safe, even at this point I'm pretty set for ammo.

I think that's kind of a microcosm of RE2 remake so far - just hard enough to heat the sweet spot.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
So now Mr. X is chasing me.

Mr. X forces me to keep reloading my saves because it's often better than trying to fight my way out of a corner.

Mr. X hates me.

Mr. X won't stop coming.

Mr. X doesn't feel remorse, or fear, and absolutely will not stop...wait, wrong franchise.

Fuck Mr. X

Snark aside, I have to give credit where credit's due. I commented that Mr. X in Vanilla RE2 was pretty paltry compared to Nemesis, in that he'd only turn up in set areas, and you can easily down him if you equip the machine gun. But this guy, in some ways, is even more intimidating than Nemesis. Slower, sure, but he just keeps coming. I've since pieced together that if I walk rather than run I can buy more time, and that he's got the ears of bat (a.k.a. try not to fire anything, ever), but it's about the right amount of frustration - enough that I want to keep playing, enough that I never feel safe, even at this point I'm pretty set for ammo.

I think that's kind of a microcosm of RE2 remake so far - just hard enough to heat the sweet spot.
What difficulty level are you doing it at? I went straight in at hardcore. If you are a resi veteran, it feels much more like it should, in my opinion. The game started significantly up in my estimates than it otherwise would have been because I did this on my first playthrough.