Resident Evil 3 Review Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I finally tried this out and...I might like it better than RE2 Remake. Jill seems to move a bit quicker and I like the dodge mechanic. The quick time grab escape timing is pretty demanding, but maybe it could be fine tuned to specific attack counters as the meter in the demo doesn?t seem to be very effective.

The normal zombies caused more problems for me in claustrophobic areas than the Nemesis encounter did, surprisingly. He seems easy enough to dodge (I switched to Type B controls which had it on stick+O), and was also pleased that you can also easily look behind while you?re running to keep track of him. It all will depend on how tightly they design these encounters of course, but my first impression was pleasantly tense, if that makes sense.

*edit* on second thought, I think I?m done with this series. Mucking about in the laboratory in RE2 Remake pretty much reminded me why I grew tired of its gameplay so long ago. The stilted design of its gameplay mechanics, combat and progression have gotten too familiar and dull. It?s just too frustrating to deal with backtracking all over the place while some goon pops up yet again out of nowhere while you?re already trying to avoid several unavoidable pricks on the way to the goal without wasting ammo and hobbling along on danger status. Having to constantly go back to the typewriter to avoid tedious retreaded ground after being one-shottedeaten by an overgrown twig because nowhere in hell could I find a key to open the door to the flamethrower is bs, not fun.

Uninstall>delete local and cloud saves>peace of mind on this one.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
This review pretty much confirms all the worries I had with the demo. Too bad nowhere near in the same league as RE2 Remake, but looks to be an enjoyable romp regardless.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-30-resident-evil-3-remake-review-at-times-brilliant-but-not-a-patch-on-its-predecessor

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
stroopwafel said:
This review pretty much confirms all the worries I had with the demo. Too bad nowhere near in the same league as RE2 Remake, but looks to be an enjoyable romp regardless.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-30-resident-evil-3-remake-review-at-times-brilliant-but-not-a-patch-on-its-predecessor
I know we both called this, but I honestly don't care. I buying the game and enjoying it regardless. I heard some people complain about the length, but most of the older RE games are short. Considering they can be beaten in two or two and half hours. I don't know why some of these reviewers are surprised. Also, their is a thing such as replay value. The puzzles have been trimmed alot, but I consider this a great thing. The original RE3 had some of the most absurd and illogical why-would-anyone-make-this-type-of-puzzle-in-the-middle-of-a-city when a key or lock would have done just fine. And don't get me started on the water puzzle. The puzzle everyone despises.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I remember not liking the game very much as a teenager when it came out because I beat it the same day that I got it. It felt really short and not worth even replays. Which is what I've seen with some of the reviews.

RE3 is not like RE2 in the replay value as far as I'm concerned because it does not have alternate scenarios, or unlockable mini missions. You get the single 5 hour (maybe) campaign and the only replay value comes from being able to replay the game with infinite ammo or different outfits.

RE2 simply offered more, with technically less possible content. I'm a bit sad that they didn't expand on RE3 with this game, but at least we know how they got it completed so quickly after RE2.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I doubt I'll end up playing it. I liked RE2 Remake and all but I really didn't even care about playing Claire's scenario honestly. I started playing it but I put it down in like an hour. From SkillUp's review, it seems like stuff was changed for worse vs the better with cut content that the original had and changing how Nemesis works. I've never been a huge RE fan to begin with and the interesting stuff in RE2 seems to be replaced with action gameplay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This [https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/21199382/resident-evil-3-remake-review-ps4-xbox-pc-2-capcom] seems to sum up pretty well. It sounds like the player really has to be a fan of the original RE3, because there doesn?t seem to be a lot to flesh it out here. Easy to see why they tacked on the MP mode, but disappointing to think they couldn?t fortify the main game more with more meaningful content. Not that I would?ve bought it anyways after how disappointed I ended up being with the RE2 Remake though, because to me its fundamentals are painfully flawed at worst and I?m not a fan of them like I used to be at best.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Phoenixmgs said:
I doubt I'll end up playing it. I liked RE2 Remake and all but I really didn't even care about playing Claire's scenario honestly. I started playing it but I put it down in like an hour. From SkillUp's review, it seems like stuff was changed for worse vs the better with cut content that the original had and changing how Nemesis works. I've never been a huge RE fan to begin with and the interesting stuff in RE2 seems to be replaced with action gameplay.

I like skill up, but I disagree with him heavily here. I'm glad Resident Evil 3 is not just DLC. Multiplayer I admit I won't care much for, but I'm going to be coming back to the single-player a lot.

hanselthecaretaker said:
This [https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/21199382/resident-evil-3-remake-review-ps4-xbox-pc-2-capcom] seems to sum up pretty well. It sounds like the player really has to be a fan of the original RE3, because there doesn?t seem to be a lot to flesh it out here. Easy to see why they tacked on the MP mode, but disappointing to think they couldn?t fortify the main game more with more meaningful content. Not that I would?ve bought it anyways after how disappointed I ended up being with the RE2 Remake though, because to me its fundamentals are painfully flawed at worst and I?m not a fan of them like I used to be at best.
I'm not one to rely on the verge. They're not the best when it comes to video game reviewing.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CoCage said:
I like skill up, but I disagree with him heavily here. I'm glad Resident Evil 3 is not just DLC. good multiplayer I admit I won't care much for, but I'm going to be coming back to the single-player a lot.
The main parts I took from his review were the Nemesis stuff isn't good as it could've been, the more actiony gameplay, and the cut-content. Unless that's wrong, that's the main stuff I took away for my decision so far. I like RE2 Remake but it's not amazing or anything, I'd probably give it like 7/10. And if this isn't as good, it'll be going to average territory then. I'm not a really big RE fan so playing just for more RE doesn't really matter to me. What does it matter if it's a standalone game or DLC to you? Why wouldn't you be able to replay the game and do what you're planning to do if it was DLC instead? I personally couldn't care less about it being DLC or standalone or the price, I care about spending my time playing through content that is great. Vanquish is like 5 hours and I couldn't care less it was full price, those 5 hours were far better than 50+ hours of mediocrity that is the standard RPG.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Phoenixmgs said:
The main parts I took from his review were the Nemesis stuff isn't good as it could've been, the more actiony gameplay, and the cut-content. Unless that's wrong, that's the main stuff I took away for my decision so far. I like RE2 Remake but it's not amazing or anything, I'd probably give it like 7/10. And if this isn't as good, it'll be going to average territory then. I'm not a really big RE fan so playing just for more RE doesn't really matter to me.
He's has point about the cut content, but the action gameplay is something that was in the original. Hell, RE2 original was more action heavy than RE1. The same applies to RE2Remake when you get to the lab section. Just like the original. If he has a problem with the action segments in RE3, then he might as well have the same complaint about RE2 (both versions) or RE4 & 5.

What does it matter if it's a standalone game or DLC to you? Why wouldn't you be able to replay the game and do what you're planning to do if it was DLC instead? I personally couldn't care less about it being DLC or standalone or the price,

It matters to me and many other RE fans, because we like having physical copies. If it was stand alone DLC, most fans or gamers would be complaining more and louder than the "this should have been DLC only" crowd. Plus, his statement implies that because the game is short(er) it should have automatically been downloadable. Not everything is short hast to be downloadable. Plus, I like having a copy I can share with my brother or friends. And I should not have to buy one game to access another DLC. RE7 did that enough times. Most of it's bonuses was cut content, later repackaged in the gold edition, yet I did not see most of the game critics (including Skill Up) complain about that. Not to mention, RE2 can be beaten in 2-2.5 hours. That applies to most of the old RE titles before 4. On first play through, Normal difficulty, for most people, it will take them 6-10 hours depending on skill level. Because you're not going to know everything or be prepared on a first run. Not without someone telling that person before hand, or watching it on YT first.

I care about spending my time playing through content that is great. Vanquish is like 5 hours and I couldn't care less it was full price, those 5 hours were far better than 50+ hours of mediocrity that is the standard RPG.
I don't know why you're auguring that (unless you're referring to Skill Up), because I agree with you. Vanquish I've spent about over 40 hours playing a decade ago. I still play it on my PS4 too. I prefer great shorter games over long winded, epic, overly padded games with not much variety. I hate empty generic open sanbdoxes. Give me a well crafted linear single player/option co-op game with decent bonuses over Sandbox/Open World nearly any day of the week.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Best review is from Sphere Hunter. Skip to 13:55 to see her more accurate description about game length. She definitely paid more attention than most of the professional reviewers. It's like the case against Metal Gear Rising's length all over again.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CoCage said:
He's has point about the cut content, but the action gameplay is something that was in the original. Hell, RE2 original was more action heavy than RE1. The same applies to RE2Remake when you get to the lab section. Just like the original. If he has a problem with the action segments in RE3, then he might as well have the same complaint about RE2 (both versions) or RE4 & 5.

It matters to me and many other RE fans, because we like having physical copies. If it was stand alone DLC, most fans or gamers would be complaining more and louder than the "this should have been DLC only" crowd. Plus, his statement implies that because the game is short(er) it should have automatically been downloadable. Not everything is short hast to be downloadable. Plus, I like having a copy I can share with my brother or friends. And I should not have to buy one game to access another DLC. RE7 did that enough times. Most of it's bonuses was cut content, later repackaged in the gold edition, yet I did not see most of the game critics (including Skill Up) complain about that. Not to mention, RE2 can be beaten in 2-2.5 hours. That applies to most of the old RE titles before 4. On first play through, Normal difficulty, for most people, it will take them 6-10 hours depending on skill level. Because you're not going to know everything or be prepared on a first run. Not without someone telling that person before hand, or watching it on YT first.

I don't know why you're auguring that (unless you're referring to Skill Up), because I agree with you. Vanquish I've spent about over 40 hours playing a decade ago. I still play it on my PS4 too. I prefer great shorter games over long winded, epic, overly padded games with not much variety. I hate empty generic open sanbdoxes. Give me a well crafted linear single player/option co-op game with decent bonuses over Sandbox/Open World nearly any day of the week.
The lab parts of RE2 were the game's weakest parts IMO. The problem is that RE4 has better combat than RE2 Remake so the parts that focus on it aren't going to be very good. The heart and soul of RE2 was the police station.

You can do a DLC standalone and on disc like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I recall SkillUp's main point for it being DLC was the fact it reuses assets and mechanics from RE2, not necessarily the length by itself. I'm guessing with RE7, reviewers didn't know about cut-content at release vs RE3 Remake and the fact that RE3 already exists.

Yeah, I was basically saying I couldn't care less about whether someone says something should be DLC or not, it's not going to affect my decision of playing a game or not. I only care about the quality of the content itself and nothing else.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Phoenixmgs said:
CoCage said:

The lab parts of RE2 were the game's weakest parts IMO. The problem is that RE4 has better combat than RE2 Remake so the parts that focus on it aren't going to be very good. The heart and soul of RE2 was the police station.

You can do a DLC standalone and on disc like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I recall SkillUp's main point for it being DLC was the fact it reuses assets and mechanics from RE2, not necessarily the length by itself. I'm guessing with RE7, reviewers didn't know about cut-content at release vs RE3 Remake and the fact that RE3 already exists.

Yeah, I was basically saying I couldn't care less about whether someone says something should be DLC or not, it's not going to affect my decision of playing a game or not. I only care about the quality of the content itself and nothing else.
I actually like the lab parts, and there honestly not that weak as the some people like to exaggerate. Yeah it sucks on a first time playthrough for both scenarios, but once you have the solutions memorized, written down, or took a picture, the three major puzzles in RE2Remake lab can be done in seconds. I do admit them being a bit of time waster (more so the plant 43 solution mix puzzle). I know about Lost Legacy, but there people who literally complained that it should have been downloadable only (which was going to be the case) and that it should have been less than the $40. Which proves my point about that type of crowd. Skill Up and others not knowing about RE7's cut content is no excuse. Especially when the signs were obvious. A lot of 7's DLC got delayed, and you could tell most of the content was already done. Capcom was just being stingy and a few extra buck of what would have been unlockable modes pre-2010. Hell, some critics actually tried praise Capcom holding content back like they were doing everyone a favor. Bullshit, I Say! Bullshit! RE4's combat is "better", yet I don't care. I've had more fun with RE2Remake and Evil Within 2 than RE4.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CoCage said:
I actually like the lab parts, and there honestly not that weak as the some people like to exaggerate. Yeah it sucks on a first time playthrough for both scenarios, but once you have the solutions memorized, written down, or took a picture, the three major puzzles in RE2Remake lab can be done in seconds. I do admit them being a bit of time waster (more so the plant 43 solution mix puzzle). I know about Lost Legacy, but there people who literally complained that it should have been downloadable only (which was going to be the case) and that it should have been less than the $40. Which proves my point about that type of crowd. Skill Up and others not knowing about RE7's cut content is no excuse. Especially when the signs were obvious. A lot of 7's DLC got delayed, and you could tell most of the content was already done. Capcom was just being stingy and a few extra buck of what would have been unlockable modes pre-2010. Hell, some critics actually tried praise Capcom holding content back like they were doing everyone a favor. Bullshit, I Say! Bullshit! RE4's combat is "better", yet I don't care. I've had more fun with RE2Remake and Evil Within 2 than RE4.
It's just that after the police station RE2 just kinda becomes a standard linear game that's been done better already. I like Raycevick's analysis [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1WLK_5lZE], though he definitely liked it more than me. I like the ending sentiment of RE2 Remake is the game to play for people not into either RE or survival horror. I'm getting the feeling RE3 Remake isn't really doing anything special that is a "must-play" for non RE fans or survival horror fans. People, gamers especially, ***** about the dumbest shit whether it's Lost Legacy (I didn't even know people didn't like it was standalone) or Horizon Zero Dawn releasing on PC or bullshit like every dollar paid should equal an hour in content. I don't think SkillUp was like a Youtuber for RE7 but that doesn't really matter. The whole "what is legit DLC and what isn't" is such a grey area and usually can only be confirmed either way if you have intimate knowledge of the development of the game. As long as the game feels like a full experience is all that matters to me; I can't personally comment on RE7, I really know nothing about it. What I can tell you about RE3 Remake is literally nothing would be different it was released standalone on disc as like RE2: Nemesis or the way it currently is.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I just hope they improve the dodge mechanic in the full release. There have been times in the demo where I've dodged a zombie only for it to somehow Stretch Armstrong me into grip. Given that every time you get grabbed it is a guaranteed loss of health, it's going to get old really quickly.

That aside though the rest of the mechanics work well and the game looks great, though I've become oddly fixated on Jill's nose for some reason.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
votemarvel said:
I just hope they improve the dodge mechanic in the full release. There have been times in the demo where I've dodged a zombie only for it to somehow Stretch Armstrong me into grip. Given that every time you get grabbed it is a guaranteed loss of health, it's going to get old really quickly.

That aside though the rest of the mechanics work well and the game looks great, though I've become oddly fixated on Jill's nose for some reason.
I've noticed it too. From what I've seen from videos like Sphere Hunter and Easy Allies, this seems to be fixed. I've gotten more successful dodges from Nemesis than the zombies in the demo.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So a certain game arrived at my residence today. It looked rather evil.

...okay, terrible puns aside, RE3 arrived, and I'll start playing it tomorrow (hopefully). I'll leave my thoughts here, on both RE3 and Resistance - I'm treating them as separate games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
So a certain game arrived at my residence today. It looked rather evil.

...okay, terrible puns aside, RE3 arrived, and I'll start playing it tomorrow (hopefully). I'll leave my thoughts here, on both RE3 and Resistance - I'm treating them as separate games.
How evil are we talking?

Levels of BET evil?

Or Mermaid Man levels of screaming "EVIL!"?

I'll be picking up my copy up at the Target right by my job.