Resident Evil 4 (REmake)

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Any ideas you would like to add in RE5R, whatever potential remake, or something in RE9
Honestly, I can't think of much that isn't covered under the umbrella of what they've already done with the previous RE Engine remakes. As long as they keep to that track, and maybe a little bit off the RE3 one, I'll probably be satisfied with it. That's for 5R, anyway. As for 9, I don't really know anything about it, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few old friends make a return. Carlos, Sheva (though she's already in 5R so), Jake and Sherry, hell, it's been a while since we saw Jill or Claire too I think.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Listening to J's end speech at the video, I don't care what RE comes next. I'm excited either way like he is. More than likely, if anything gets announced later this year, it will be RE9 next. I do know they're going back to 3rd person camera view. Thank God.

Whenever Capcom does get to RE5R, I want them to add more melee options like they did in OG RE5. Keep the knife parry, but get rid of durability, yet nerf the power of the knife. Add in some more or unique double team button prompt attacks when using Chris or Sheva. I'd say make Sheva the focal point character, instead of Chris. Any ideas you would like to add in RE5R, whatever potential remake, or something in RE9 @hanselthecaretaker2, @NerfedFalcon, @Johnny Novgorod, @CriticalGaming, , @Silvanus, and @PsychedelicDiamond?
I never played RE5 because that was the point the series jumped the shark into nonsense imo.

Frankly i don't see the need to remake it in the first place RE5 and 6 are pretty much throw away garbage as far as most people are concerned as far as I've seen. You might as well completely make different games if you are going to try and "remake" them to make them better. The fact that they suck are kind of what makes them what they are and remaking them into something else kinda ruins the history of them. Just focus on making a good Re9 and move on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Frankly i don't see the need to remake it in the first place RE5 and 6 are pretty much throw away garbage as far as most people are concerned as far as I've seen
Only RE6 is seen as throw away garbage by most people. RE5 has many defenders, and not to forget nor underestimate, is still the highest selling RE game (13.5 million is nothing to laugh at,). There' still tension and atmosphere in the game, even though it's all out action. It's good game that's greater in co-op. The Sheva/Chris AI ain't too bad, and is actually improved in the 8th gen versions. Just give her either the machine gun or sniper rifel and upgrades those once in a while. Even when not upgraded, the AI highly damaging shots or critical hits. Also, Lost in Nightmares is pretty good 30-45 minute bonus throwback scenario to RE1. It's packaged into 8th gen version after getting around to Chapter 3.

EDIT: The series jumped the shark with the Napoleon Spanish Midget with giant clockwork statue compensating for something in RE4. If you want to take it even further, Code Veronica. When Wesker is brought back to life as a cross between Agent Smith and the Advanced Model from Drive (1997).

My take from earlier:

To elaborate further:

• Better support characters. I love Sheva and find her much more interesting than Ashley. Yes the AI can be a mixed bag at times, but as long as you arm her with a sniper rifle or machine gun, she works fine. It's the same vice versa, if you're playing a She a and let the AI control Chris. I do wish we got to see more of her actual backstory and not just found it file notes. Seriously Capcom, you couldn't give her a brief 1 to 3 minute flashback? Josh Stone is cool too, and there's a reason why both still have many fans and want them to return!
  • Though more linear than the previous game, it's not a bad thing. The levels don't drag on and they're still plenty of open ended areas you can explore or side paths that reward you for finding hidden collectibles or taking the risk with enemies involved.
  • Easier quick time events*. Granted, this is only available, if you have the 8th generation versions of the game. The qtes are still not that bad, but they are more difficult when playing on the harder difficulties.
  • You get better melee options. Chris, Sheva, and all the characters featured in mercenaries have better melee options compared to Leon or those in mercenaries most in the previous game. You get literally three or four different daylight options based off where enemy is hit, if you're in front or behind them, or if they're on the ground. If you kneecap a person and then go behind them either character has a move that counts as an instant kill when the button prop comes up. I can't wait to see you what they pull off for RE5R. I will bring up my possible guesses and theories in the Resident Evil thread.
  • And even better Mercenaries Mode, that is unlocked from the start if you have the PS4 or Xbox One versions. The other two bonus modes are fine from what I remember, but I haven't touched them. Most fans like Lost Nightmares, but dislike or mixed about Desperate Escape. All I know is that they're both still better compared to Separate Ways and Assignment Ada.
  • A much better story and original closing off point for the series. Yes I said it. I know people like it already for story for how bad it is, but I never cared much for it, until RE4R made it great. Miami long admitted he hates the story, and the fact that he rushed it with all the script he writes and only had two weeks to do it.
  • Much better pacing. The fourth game is technically shorter, but but drags pretty much as soon as you get to the island. The 15 goes have some drag, but it's nowhere near as long and it goes by out of brisker pace as far as I'm concerned and experienced.
The only things RE4 has over 5 is better boss variety and better inventory. There should gave been at least 12 slots total instead of 9 per character. RE5's best boss fights are mainly those that involve Wesker, or that bat scorpion boss around the end of chapter 2. No problem with the bosses is that they're either just giant insect hybrid, giant arachnids, or a walking body of worms known as Uroboros. And if it isn't those, it's usually giant boss you have to kill with a turret gun or something. I admit that at least the Excella boss fight does something interesting with it, but you're more or less doing the same thing, except we have a giant orbital satellite to mix up the pace.
You might as well completely make different games if you are going to try and "remake" them to make them better.
That's pretty much what Capcom did with RE4R. Whatever parts removed from the original Leon campaign are given to Ada in the Separate Ways Remake expansion. RE4R follows most of the same plot beats as the original, except the people working on the game wanted to give better characterization and expand on them. Which they succeeded. For example, Krauser no longer as that dumb triple agent sub-plot and expands his relationship with Leon. Or how Ada is no longer turned into an aloof Trish clone, and actually was affected by her and Leon's journey into Raccoon City.

The fact that they suck are kind of what makes them what they are and remaking them into something else kinda ruins the history of them.
Considering how well RE4R has been doing, and people praising how it keeps the spirit of the original, while still doing its own thing says otherwise by a lot. It don't ruin shit you put the care and effort into it.

Just focus on making a good Re9 and move on.
Better yet? Do all the above.

I have noticed a pattern with Capcom: new mainline entry (RE VII; itself a glorified remake of 4), then the remakes, and then new mainline entry (RE VIII), and then another remake (RE4R). Rinse and repeat. Considering how well each RE game has sold, it makes why Capcom is doing this, and is nothing more than history repeating itself.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Only RE6 is seen as throw away garbage by most people. RE5 has many defenders
Just wanted to piggy-back off this point to say that 6 has a number of defenders as well. Mostly focused on the game's surprisingly deep mechanics and the Mercenaries mode that makes best use of them, and most of the new characters (especially the new PCs) are actually pretty cool. Personally, after playing through the entire campaign for each character, I feel like its biggest issue is wasted potential - there isn't enough of the good stuff, and too much of the generic-7th-gen-shooter bullshit like those vehicle sections. Which just makes the good stuff all the worse, for that not being the entire game.

So a remake could take the good, enhance it, spread more of it around, and cut back on the bad. Even if that "ruins the history", why preserve a history of being "throwaway garbage" in the first place?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just wanted to piggy-back off this point to say that 6 has a number of defenders as well. Mostly focused on the game's surprisingly deep mechanics and the Mercenaries mode that makes best use of them, and most of the new characters (especially the new PCs) are actually pretty cool. Personally, after playing through the entire campaign for each character, I feel like its biggest issue is wasted potential - there isn't enough of the good stuff, and too much of the generic-7th-gen-shooter bullshit like those vehicle sections. Which just makes the good stuff all the worse, for that not being the entire game.

So a remake could take the good, enhance it, spread more of it around, and cut back on the bad. Even if that "ruins the history", why preserve a history of being "throwaway garbage" in the first place?
Thank you. I know RE6 has it's defenders, but it's nowhere near the amount of RE5. Usually the waste potential conversation comes up, mercenaries mode, or how some person on YouTube would fix the story. The main problem being is that the game is not worth 20+ hours trying to complete all of the campaigns.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Listening to J's end speech at the video, I don't care what RE comes next. I'm excited either way like he is. More than likely, if anything gets announced later this year, it will be RE9 next. I do know they're going back to 3rd person camera view. Thank God.

Whenever Capcom does get to RE5R, I want them to add more melee options like they did in OG RE5. Keep the knife parry, but get rid of durability, yet nerf the power of the knife. Add in some more or unique double team button prompt attacks when using Chris or Sheva. I'd say make Sheva the focal point character, instead of Chris. Any ideas you would like to add in RE5R, whatever potential remake, or something in RE9 @hanselthecaretaker2, @NerfedFalcon, @Johnny Novgorod, @CriticalGaming, , @Silvanus, and @PsychedelicDiamond?

I really haven’t followed/played RE much since 6th gen. Played demos of 5, 6, the most of RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake demo, some of VII, the 8 demo, etc. My familiarity at this point is pretty basic, but the main thing with any Remake though is continuing with QoL stuff to smooth out the rough edges the older games had.

Now for the next original RE game, I think it would be good to change up the formula a bit. The IP shouldn’t need to cling to old design philosophy and tropes anymore. I mean VII was interesting but mostly due to being first person, which I wouldn’t want again anyways (maybe optional at most). I’m thinking of all the various zombie movies or even action/comedy horror in general and there is so much more they could do with a change of setting and more agressive gameplay with more aggressive enemies. It doesn’t mean it winds up Devil Me Too or Devil May Try?, but there is a rather wide gulf there yet to experiment with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
mean VII was interesting but mostly due to being first person, which I wouldn’t want again anyways (maybe optional at most).
The only thing I do know that is official from Capcom is that the 9th entry won't be first person. They said they've done all they could do with it, and will go back to the third person view.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2