Resident Evil 5 Actress Does Calendar For Fans

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Credge said:
rossatdi said:
Countering claims of racism? Have you seen the tribal outfit?
Clearly, you don't know what racism is.
Taking a black character and portraying them in a ridiculous exaggeration of a stereotype. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty racist.

You know, in the same way black-and-white minstrels are racist.

Feb 13, 2008
The_Oracle said:
I realize that if the actress wants to do a calendar or somesuch that's her right and her right alone, but still, it's pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the geek community more than anything else.
And...it also pays her a lot of money.

If she's got the body, then you can't really say "No, you are now a strong woman! You must only do things to make you look strong!"

Some people just like to do their job without having to worry about the SOCIAL RAMIFICATIONS of their every action.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The_Oracle said:
I realize that if the actress wants to do a calendar or somesuch that's her right and her right alone, but still, it's pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the geek community more than anything else.
And...it also pays her a lot of money.

If she's got the body, then you can't really say "No, you are now a strong woman! You must only do things to make you look strong!"

Some people just like to do their job without having to worry about the SOCIAL RAMIFICATIONS of their every action.
Point conceded. I just hope she doesn't feel that she's demeaning herself or anything like that.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Credge said:
rossatdi said:
Countering claims of racism? Have you seen the tribal outfit?
Clearly, you don't know what racism is.
1) I think it would be fair to say that a significant part of racism is stereotyping.

2) I think it would be fair to say that dressing a character who's parents were supposedly scientists in a tribal costume with no explanation other than 'she's african' is stereotyping.

QED, its racist! I know its a bonus unlockable costume ... but that doesn't really take away from the fact that the special agent is given a grass skirt and a bow.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
DirkGently said:
rossatdi said:
Technically it's like saying "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends." Then dressing your friends in an exaggerated african tribal costume.

The fact that her parents worked at an umbrella plant makes it unlikely she has a tribal upbringing! Go geek abuse.
Provided your friend feels like putting, probably after you've had a few beers and been playing video games for like ten hours. Nobody *forces* you to have Sheva wear the silly joke costume. I don't think anybody but those who want to be angry over something take it take seriously. I sincerely doubt that anybody at Capcom said "Hey let's make Sheva a 'tribal' costume because that's all that black people are!" Or anything like that.
(I appreciate you running with analogy).

I think everyone got pretty drunk and then everyone thought it would be a laugh to give your friend a spear to chuck at people, whilst there are already suspicions your group of friends are racist anyway. So although it might not be malicious, it's in pretty poor taste, especially considering they must have known the firestorm they were walking into (and then standing still to aim).

Feb 13, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Point conceded. I just hope she doesn't feel that she's demeaning herself or anything like that.
"I'm flattered that Sheva has such great following and that my fans called for this calendar. We wanted to display the sexier and more feminine side of Sheva, and this calendar shows that off times ten."

Seems so.

Seriously, what can they do with "ethnic"/female characters that won't draw fire from everywhere?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The_Oracle said:
"I'm flattered that Sheva has such great following and that my fans called for this calendar. We wanted to display the sexier and more feminine side of Sheva, and this calendar shows that off times ten."

Seems so.

Seriously, what can they do with "ethnic"/female characters that won't draw fire from everywhere?
People can't do anything without someone on the Internet complaining about it or disagreeing with the person. That's just the way the Internet works.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
If the actress who did Sheva is willing (and wants) to make a calander then I don't see a problem in all honesty (no-one tells you what to do for a living so you have no right to do the same to someone else). If you don't like the idea then this strikes me as a 'that's your problem' situation and my reccomendation would simply be 'don't buy the calander'.

As for the racism debate, in my opinion, anyone who believes that Resident Evil 5 is racist should be able to answer the following three questions in a concise and objective manner:

1- What is racism? (please note that I am asking for a stand alone definition, not a context or example)

2- Please explain how Resident Evil 5 adheres to the definition of racism? (Answers must be objective and non-personal, simply getting a 'feeling' or 'hunch' of something does not count as proof since they are subject to bias)

3- Is it possible to think of any context or explanation for the events that take place that would deem them as no longer racist? (Can these 'racist' actions be justified in any way? e.g: self defense)

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
rossatdi said:
DirkGently said:
rossatdi said:
Technically it's like saying "I'm not a racist, I've got black friends." Then dressing your friends in an exaggerated african tribal costume.

The fact that her parents worked at an umbrella plant makes it unlikely she has a tribal upbringing! Go geek abuse.
Provided your friend feels like putting, probably after you've had a few beers and been playing video games for like ten hours. Nobody *forces* you to have Sheva wear the silly joke costume. I don't think anybody but those who want to be angry over something take it take seriously. I sincerely doubt that anybody at Capcom said "Hey let's make Sheva a 'tribal' costume because that's all that black people are!" Or anything like that.
(I appreciate you running with analogy).

I think everyone got pretty drunk and then everyone thought it would be a laugh to give your friend a spear to chuck at people, whilst there are already suspicions your group of friends are racist anyway. So although it might not be malicious, it's in pretty poor taste, especially considering they must have known the firestorm they were walking into (and then standing still to aim).
Thing is, you usually don't laugh at a guy holding a six foot long pointed stick. He probably won't take kindly to it. Hell, there's a reason we know the phrase "Spearchucker", and it's not because he was character in MASH. And here's the another thing to consider. Your drunken friend clearly does not give a fuck. He is obviously one of those progressives, much like myself, who thinks the best way to deal with racism is to stop making a big deal over it. He, apparently, thinks it's funny enough to dress that way and carry around a spear. One can contribute this to the booze, but, there's only so much of that one can do. And this is ultimately where the analogy falls apart, because your friend is another person, where as Sheva is just a model with a skin slapped on her in a video game.

Ultimately, is it racist? No. In poor taste? Maybe, if you're sensitive about that sort of thing. Funny? Kinda. Blown out of proportion? Yes. In manner both depressing and funny? Hell yes.

Feb 13, 2008
The_Oracle said:
People can't do anything without someone on the Internet complaining about it or disagreeing with the person. That's just the way the Internet works.
Ironically I'll have to agree on that. :)

Apr 28, 2008
Iron Mal said:
If the actress who did Sheva is willing (and wants) to make a calander then I don't see a problem in all honesty (no-one tells you what to do for a living so you have no right to do the same to someone else). If you don't like the idea then this strikes me as a 'that's your problem' situation and my reccomendation would simply be 'don't buy the calander'.

As for the racism debate, in my opinion, anyone who believes that Resident Evil 5 is racist should be able to answer the following three questions in a concise and objective manner:

1- What is racism? (please note that I am asking for a stand alone definition, not a context or example)

2- Please explain how Resident Evil 5 adheres to the definition of racism? (Answers must be objective and non-personal, simply getting a 'feeling' or 'hunch' of something does not count as proof since they are subject to bias)

3- Is it possible to think of any context or explanation for the events that take place that would deem them as no longer racist? (Can these 'racist' actions be justified in any way? e.g: self defense)
I second these questions, I would also like to know how RE5 is racist.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
DirkGently said:
Thing is, you usually don't laugh at a guy holding a six foot long pointed stick. He probably won't take kindly to it. Hell, there's a reason we know the phrase "Spearchucker", and it's not because he was character in MASH. And here's the another thing to consider. Your drunken friend clearly does not give a fuck. He is obviously one of those progressives, much like myself, who thinks the best way to deal with racism is to stop making a big deal over it. He, apparently, thinks it's funny enough to dress that way and carry around a spear. One can contribute this to the booze, but, there's only so much of that one can do. And this is ultimately where the analogy falls apart, because your friend is another person, where as Sheva is just a model with a skin slapped on her in a video game.

Ultimately, is it racist? No. In poor taste? Maybe, if you're sensitive about that sort of thing. Funny? Kinda. Blown out of proportion? Yes. In manner both depressing and funny? Hell yes.
Although I take your points (and I find it hard to argue with a Douglas Adams fan) but I feel Capcom misjudged. Does it offended me? No. Does it offend your average black gamer? I can't say but I doubt. Was it obviously going to draw allegations especially considering the already negative media coverage? Undoubtedly.

The simple base of it is that through malice, ignorance or humour the developers have include a novelty costume for the only african player character that is stereotypically african in the colonial of senses. Sheva was supposed (I presume) to be their counter argument to the racist jibe, they massively own goaled themselves if only in terms of the idiot majority's perception.

We see: Resi game set in Africa, cool. Sexy black side kick.
They (non-gamers) see: Burly white man gunning down black africans. Black side kick in grass skirt and bow.

Jetbaby

Jan 28, 2009
I'm just going to skirt past the whole racism debate and say she's a lovely woman. That said, there isn't any issue with Capcom copyright infringement, is there? It doesn't appear that she's generating cash from the venture, but I suppose that could be debated via traffic generated on her website as a result of this promotion...

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Oolinthu said:
TheTygerfire said:
The idea of a Sheva calender - Good
The actress in the calender - No Good
What? How? Dyer looks more or less exactly like Sheva.
Um...no...she doesn't.

Edit: Okay, while she does look somewhat like her, I just don't think Sheva translates well into real life. I really looks like high end cosplay than a real version.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I have no plans to purchase this calendar. Considering how incompetent Sheva was as an AI partner (especially in Veteran and Professional difficulty), I am no fan of her. That said, I don't think it's a bad thing that the actress made this calendar, and she is exceptionally attractive.