Resident Evil 5 Actress Does Calendar For Fans

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The_Oracle said:
I feel...quite dismayed by this news. I realize that if the actress wants to do a calendar or somesuch that's her right and her right alone, but still, it's pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the geek community more than anything else.
How is this any different than the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Calendar pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the jock community more than anything else?

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
rossatdi said:
DirkGently said:
Thing is, you usually don't laugh at a guy holding a six foot long pointed stick. He probably won't take kindly to it. Hell, there's a reason we know the phrase "Spearchucker", and it's not because he was character in MASH. And here's the another thing to consider. Your drunken friend clearly does not give a fuck. He is obviously one of those progressives, much like myself, who thinks the best way to deal with racism is to stop making a big deal over it. He, apparently, thinks it's funny enough to dress that way and carry around a spear. One can contribute this to the booze, but, there's only so much of that one can do. And this is ultimately where the analogy falls apart, because your friend is another person, where as Sheva is just a model with a skin slapped on her in a video game.

Ultimately, is it racist? No. In poor taste? Maybe, if you're sensitive about that sort of thing. Funny? Kinda. Blown out of proportion? Yes. In manner both depressing and funny? Hell yes.
Although I take your points (and I find it hard to argue with a Douglas Adams fan) but I feel Capcom misjudged. Does it offended me? No. Does it offend your average black gamer? I can't say but I doubt. Was it obviously going to draw allegations especially considering the already negative media coverage? Undoubtedly.

The simple base of it is that through malice, ignorance or humour the developers have include a novelty costume for the only african player character that is stereotypically african in the colonial of senses. Sheva was supposed (I presume) to be their counter argument to the racist jibe, they massively own goaled themselves if only in terms of the idiot majority's perception.

We see: Resi game set in Africa, cool. Sexy black side kick.
They (non-gamers) see: Burly white man gunning down black africans. Black side kick in grass skirt and bow.
Misjudged what, really? That they'd get a lot of press?

Besides, et's not forget that "One of my PC"s is black" is the equivalent of saying "I've got black friends." It's not a defense against racism. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Oolinthu

Apr 29, 2009
PsykoDragon said:
an unofficial Sheva Alomar calendar.
I sense a raping brewing in court.
I don't see how. It's free publicity and fanservice for Capcom's game. Suing her would just piss a lot of people off and make Capcom look like dicks.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
" the first playable character from a ethnic group other than caucasian in the main Resident Evil series "

Might I introduce you to Miss Ada Wong?

Someone never played Seperate Ways. Worth it if only for the Explosive Crossbow.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
How is this any different than the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Calendar pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the jock community more than anything else?
It is the Sheva Calendar pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the gaming community.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Jonatron said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It is the Sheva Calendar pandering to the boob-obsessed portion of the gaming community.
You hear that? That's the sound of my point whizzing over your head.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Was Carlos not Hispanic? It's almost like being white in a videogame now is a bad thing.

Not to mention linking someone's sexy and femenine side together is kind of sexist.

And for the last time, it is possible to get Chris Redfield's body structure. My cousin who's trying to become a fireman has forearms as big as his head. He was once a personal trainer.