Resident Evil Nostalgia Blast Incoming

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Resident Evil Nostalgia Blast Incoming

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of Resident Evil, Capcom is re-releasing almost every game in the series.

Come September 8, the Resident Evil Anniversary Box will appear on the publisher's Japanese online store with a ¥7,800 (roughly $97USD) price tag. Kotaku reports on the contents:

The Resident Evil 15th Anniversary Box comes with a copy of Resident Evil: Director's Cut for the PlayStation, Resident Evil 2 for the PlayStation, Resident Evil 3: Last Escape for the PlayStation, Resident Evil: Revival Selection for the PlayStation 3 (it's an HD remastering of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Code: Veronica Director's Cut), the Resident Evil Code: Veronica soundtrack, the Resident Evil 4 soundtrack, S.T.A.R.S. and Umbrella Corporation 15th anniversary stickers and pins, and a "spacer" for Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition.

There is no official word on whether the Box will ever reach American shores, though gaijin fans can look forward to the arrival of high-definition remakes of both Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X on the Xbox Live Marketplace's Games On Demand service this fall. Though we were already aware of these games, Capcom has let slip that both titles will be issued as the equivalent of full games.

Meaning: Both will feature a full 1000 gamerpoints worth of unlockable Achievements, instead of the standard 200 seen in most downloadable titles.

However, this also plants a big question mark in the "what are these things going to cost?" section of this story. While the vast majority of standard downloadable games are priced between $10 and $15, the Games On Demand titles are traditionally viewed as full retail games. $60 price tags are not unheard of.

Capcom has yet to comment on the pricing issue, though presumably solid details will be emerging shortly.

Still, devoted Resident Evil fans should see this anniversary blowout as a prime opportunity to relive the last decade and a half of murderous zombies, Eurotrash bioterrorists and inexplicable underground shark attacks.

Or, failing that, a solid excuse to slip the phrase "Itchy. Tasty." back into everyday parlance.

Source: Capcom [http://kotaku.com/5819313/this-box-of-resident-evil-is-a-good-deal]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope this is not a Japan only thing, I have considered getting a few Resident Evil games in the past and if this game out I would definitely get it.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I thought it was "Itchy Scratchy." It's been too long since I've played the game. Still, I only have a PS3 so I won't be getting the downloadable games, which means if they do charge full price (60 bucks for a game that was on the ps1? no thanks) I don't have to worry.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Resident Evil 3: Last Escape for the PlayStation
Huh?

Resident Evil Code: Veronica Director's Cut
Wait, what?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Uhm, they are releasing a few games for Playstation?
As in PS1? Does PS3 have backwards compatibility?
They jerked the PS2 emulator software out of it in any case...

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Damnit I want Outbreak. I had the good fortune of living in Japan when Biohazard: Outbreak & File 2 were released. Some great memories of multi-player old school "watch your ammo" Biohazard, not "blast everything that moves and then some cause we will NEVER run out of ammo" Biohazard.

Come to think of it, L4D is basically Outbreak (4 players, short episodes, etc) with unlimited ammo.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
Inexplicably, yes, the PS3 has PS1 backwards compatibility.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Earnest Cavalli said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Inexplicably, yes, the PS3 has PS1 backwards compatibility.

Are you shitting me? Please tell me you speak the truth!!

I hope this box comes out for the PS3, I want it on my PS3

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
HD is nice,but I will not pay more than twenty dollars for games that have been released,re released and re re released were the guns have been replaced with walkie talkies.And The word zombie was changed to "the life deprived".

All jokes aside I really would like to revisit these games with updated visuals and cheevos.I do hope they're not overpriced.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It's not complete without the Cube REmake and Zero, but beyond that, I'm all for this, especially if it comes to the PC and we get a better version of RE4 than the abomination that Ubisoft ported.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Scrythe said:
Resident Evil 3: Last Escape for the PlayStation
Huh?

Resident Evil Code: Veronica Director's Cut
Wait, what?
Yup, Last Escape was the japanese subtitle of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, in fact, it's not even called Resident Evil there, it's Biohazard, wich IMO sounds a thousand times better than RE, but whatever, I'm already used to that name since the PS1 days.

As for Code Veronica's Director's Cut... well... I'm a bit confused too :p

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
matrix3509 said:
So is this for the 360 as well or is it another pointless PS3 exclusive?
Why the hell would Capcom Japan do anything for the 360?

I'm also pretty sure the 360 doesn't play Ps1 games.
Oh I don't know, maybe because there are potentially millions of dollars to be made? Seems like a pretty good reason. Sticking your head in an abattoir runoff bucket and pretending that a certain console doesn't exist does not make it so.

Also, the original Resident Evil was eventually ported to Gamecube, and Code Veronica was originally a Dreamcast exclusive.

Your post is phenomenally pointless and includes ridiculous fallacies, as I can list several (much) smaller Japanese game developers that make cross-platform games.

Of course, if Capcom decides that they don't want the money of millions of Xbox or PC users, its well within their right to do so. Its also my right to tell them to fuck off and die.

TCPirate

Dec 1, 2009
Remove resident evil 4 & 5 and you've got yourself a deal!
They ended up in my fireplace, burnt to a crisp... Was considering trading them in, but i wouldn't subject anyone to that sort of torture.