Resident Evil To Become TV Series

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
The writing of the game series isn't that much better... especially post RE4. So I don't know what you're expecting. Mind you I'm a huge RE1-4 fan and I still think they're awful awful stories.
I'm a big fan of those games and agree the plots are horrible...
But that's why I like them.

They need to be taken seriously though, no winking at the audience. Trying to do serious drama and falling on its face.

Not that the series doesn't have some genuinely good writing, usually because it's left to your imagination. Like a lot what happened to the Birkin family or Lisa Trevor.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
This series can't go much worse then what the movies already are, for it really feels like they adapted the movies from the games and then tried to adopt the movie into the games. With how the entire world is infected and everyone is a zombie, which feels a lot like Resident Evil 6 when two major cities, a nuclear submarine, aircraft carrier, and underwater refinery of some sort are all basically destroyed by either the characters or plot during the game after being overrun by zombies. That is one thing I like about the games in the past is they felt like they were all contained in a small area and not a world-wide pandemic.

I am not sure if I am that interested in the Resident Evil franchise anymore to even bother watching this show anymore, for they have systematically removed anything that I enjoyed about the franchise in all the media it has been in.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I bet this is just going to be a Walking Dead rip off, with some comical references to Jill sandwiches and boulder punching

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, this sounds perfect for continuing my Mary-Sue Alice drinking game.
Worst thing that can happen is that it becomes as tedious as The Walking Dead.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
What's wrong with the series? The only thing that's really chaged is the gameplay style (Which is a vast improvement over the earlier games. Just aim up with the shotgun for insta-kills and you'll end the game with hundreds of spare handgun and shotgun rounds.)

I will admit that RE5 and RE6 dicked up what made RE4 good (In that it got away from the ridiculousness of the earlier installments with it's own special brand of camp), but I still enjoy the series.
One of the biggest problems with the series comes from the way Capcom wrote themselves into a corner starting with RE4, and haven't been able to bounce themselves out of it. RE1-3 was a nice, self-contained trilogy of the tragedy befalling Raccoon City, and was the strong point in the series' overall plot, which is why Capcom kept trying to dip back into that well (Outbreak 1&2, Operation Raccoon City, Chronicles).

While they weren't the most lauded of the series, I still like what they tried to do with Code: Veronica, Surivor, and Dead Aim because it showed a branching universe and the direct effects of Umbrella's meddling with bioweapons, a large plot point mostly ignored by the films to make way for more "Hey, remember those action scenes in The Fifth Element?" I'm not against the Alice character in general, but she really did turn into a Deus Ex Machina in the way Trent did in the novelizations.

But going back to my point: RE4 is not only a departure in gameplay (which isn't bad), but a departure of that universe to make way for the weird Cold War-esque machinations with post-collapse Umbrella, the absurd stretches to keep Wesker the villain despite not having any real presence (see also: Illidan Stormrage), and the really stilted attempts to make sense of the absurdities introduced in RE4 (Ada Wong still being alive, the shift from unstable viruses to magical parasites, hinting at a behind-the-scenes puppetmaster that may or may not be Umbrella, etc). Resident Evil already played fast and loose with it's plot, and RE4 decided to take a sharp turn and has been fishtailing ever since.

Kopikatsu said:
I like how dumb RE's story is. It's great. Just the right amount of camp. But I will also agree that the first Resident Evil movie is the best of the lot Anderson directed for the same reason.

However, if we're talking about movies in general, I'm particularly fond of Degeneration. In which Leon, while badly injured, draws a knife in preparation to fight two T-103's who have their limiters released.
And right there, you touched upon an important reason why RE has been in such a sharp decline. It was great when it was stupid, campy and ? most importantly ? fun. Starting with post-RE4, they decided to replace the fun and stupid aspects of the plot and replace it with some ridiculously bizarre attempt to make sense of the giant bowl of insanity, and in doing so took all the fun out of it. Did we really need this great, overarching weave of plot to somehow pull every thread into some convoluted web? It's Resident Evil, where you shoot things, save the day and try to survive. This isn't Dune or Metal Gear.

That's why Leon taking on the T-103's with a knife was so awesome. It was stupid, impractical and absolutely badass, and that's what the series needs again.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
I don't think my liver could handle stupidity on the scale of the last movie on a regular basis, so I'm worried.

That said, I hope it'll chronicle the lead-up to the big twist at the end of Retribution. President Evil: The Wesker Wing .

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
However, if we're talking about movies in general, I'm particularly fond of Degeneration. In which Leon, while badly injured, draws a knife in preparation to fight two T-103's who have their limiters released.
*Damnation

This was after one of the Tyrants caught an RPG with it's bare hands and released it into a nearby truck so close to Leon that he is blown forward by the explosion, then smacked into the air by the Tyrant and ragdolled across the entire courtyard against a stone column that looked like it would have made Leon into juice.

I could watch Resident Evil CGI films all night XD

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Kopikatsu said:
Where do I apply to be a writer for this shit?

I have played every Resident Evil game at least thrice over. Even Gaiden. If they try to ruin one of my most beloved series with more of that Alice bullshit, I WILL DESTROY SOMETHING. Yeah it says that the director's ending his little fanfic series for his wife, but still. I don't trust them at all.
The writing of the game series isn't that much better... especially post RE4. So I don't know what you're expecting. Mind you I'm a huge RE1-4 fan and I still think they're awful awful stories.
QFT. I used to think that the Resident Evil movies were the worst thing that could have happened to the Resident Evil franchise, then RE4 came out, completely derailed the story, and it's never recovered.

We went from "We have to stop Umbrella!" to "Umbrella's gone! Here's some Spanish Parasite People! Now pay attention to these six completely new organizations you've never heard of before! One of them has a space laser! Also, Wesker has a SON!"

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of spy or thriller series with say the USS (Umbrella Security Service) during the time Umbrella was up and running. Figured they would be doing things like dealing with minor outbreaks in tiny towns or villages in remote parts of the world, the danger of transporting BOW's, hunting down leaks that could damage the company, maybe see them getting new members from various prisons, merc outfits and so on.

Hmmm... anyone got an idea of a tv series they could use to get a feel for this? I'm thinking like Fringe/Covert Affairs but that's just me.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Please be your own series. I like Alice. I've enjoyed all the Resident Evil movies (except the third one) and have seen them all in theaters, but I want it to be done. Stories need to end, and the ending to the last Resident Evil movie set up the end game feel. Dragging it out after the final movie is going to be annoying. Just make it a new series with new characters.

small

Aug 5, 2014
if its got a similar feel to the first movie ill be happy. although people should actually see what its like before the doom and gloom cheering squad lead us all in a rousing march with pitchforks

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
Asclepion said:
Kopikatsu said:
*Damnation

This was after one of the Tyrants caught an RPG with it's bare hands and released it into a nearby truck so close to Leon that he is blown forward by the explosion, then smacked into the air by the Tyrant and ragdolled across the entire courtyard against a stone column that looked like it would have made Leon into juice.

I could watch Resident Evil CGI films all night XD
No lie, I almost cried when I saw how they handled the T-103s in that film. They were perfect. They looked right, with extra details (loved the armor plating on the overcoats), they moved right, and they were appropriately terrifying. It was like watching Terminators scaled to fight hill giants.

OT: This could work. The big advantage a series like this has is that it's not the Walking Dead. Resident Evil owes far more to anime, pulp, and science fiction than it does to Romero or Fulci. The stories (terribly written and insanely convoluted, there are still stories here) don't focus around human evils. We don't have non-stop iterations of The Governor or bandit-of-the-week. Things get started by people, but the actual menaces are monsters. It's not just a horde of walking corpses, there are giant animals, amorphous blobs of hungry death, custom-made biological killing machines...you get variety in abundance. You could do all sorts of stuff, from monster-of-the-week to an actual war scenario. It's got plenty of potential.

...which will probably be ignored in favor of the low-hanging fruit, but we can hope.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
>_>

<_<

I'd watch. Pittsburgher, yo. Incurable zombie fan here. Couldn't hurt to have a look, at least.

Aleenik

Oct 13, 2014
All we can do is hope that this turns out well. The game series that I want to be turned into a show the most though is Mass Effect. I'd love to see a live action Mass Effect TV series one day, and if this Resident Evil series is a success, maybe that will make such a thing more likely, who knows. It will definitely make shows based on game series in general more likely at least.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I notice alot of people not being fans of this move but Resident Evil... is... special. Its absolutely stupid at times but there are individual moments brilliance in the series, which is sadly more often then not missed by those that try to adapt it. Its like the MGS of horror games just a little less good. My guess is it'll blow not because the source material is weak but because they take the safest bet they imagine and go with a series taking itself absolutely serious and trying to follow lock step with the leader (AMC's walking dead probably). But I think it can be done, it'll just take some bravery and patience on everyones part to get right. RE series hasn't been around in the forefront of main stream gaming because of the goodwill of their fans.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
Steve Waltz said:
Kopikatsu said:
Where do I apply to be a writer for this shit?

I have played every Resident Evil game at least thrice over. Even Gaiden. If they try to ruin one of my most beloved series with more of that Alice bullshit, I WILL DESTROY SOMETHING. Yeah it says that the director's ending his little fanfic series for his wife, but still. I don't trust them at all.
What does it matter if they ruin it further? Capcom?s been doing a fine job ruining the series on their own. Series has been one steady downhill tumble since RE4. I doubt anything can stop Resident Evil?s free fall of failure. Depressing because I was a diehard fan of the series; it?s just too much to enjoy the series anymore after all of the trash I?ve had to deal with recently.
What's wrong with the series? The only thing that's really chaged is the gameplay style (Which is a vast improvement over the earlier games. Just aim up with the shotgun for insta-kills and you'll end the game with hundreds of spare handgun and shotgun rounds.)
Well, the RE4 officially killed the writing in the series by ending the Umbrella corporation. The thing that tied every RE game together was the Umbrella Corporation. It was a corporation full of villainous dipshits that were causing trouble for our protagonists, but were untouchable. I THOUGHT Capcom realized their mistake when they introduced Tricell at the end of Resident Evil: Degeneration, but then RE5 comes out and Capcom derps again. Now it?s been just as Yahtzee?s been saying for a while now. The world of Resident Evil has an inexhaustible supply of politically/financially powerful douche bags to betray/attack the protagonists. The Umbrella Corporation was scary because it was untouchable. Now, with every new game we target the villain, kill the villain, and then they make a new one for the next game. In the previous games we only had agents (or loose strings) of Umbrella to target, but we could never take it down. Then the mighty collapse of Umbrella happens in a damn rail shooter, including stupid Matrix flipping and laser dodging bullshit. Urgh? Killing off Umbrella killed Resident Evil. Ironically enough, that?s the one thing the movies have done right in comparison to the games. Keeping Umbrella going.