Resident Evil Ultimate HD Edition Coming to Steam in February -UPDATED

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Resident Evil Ultimate HD Edition Coming to Steam in February -UPDATED

Capcom says the Resident Evil Ultimate HD edition will run "at a smooth 60 frames per second."

Can you believe it's almost been ten years since Resident Evil 4? I certainly can't. Heck, back when it first came out I was just a starry-eyed freshman in college filled and the Resident Evil franchise was still largely regarded as being pretty decent. These days, of course, Resident Evil is arguably on the rocks, especially after its last numbered installment, Resident Evil 6, earned <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6377-Resident-Evil-6-Is-the-Epitome-of-Survival-Horror>mediocre reviews at best.

That in mind, Capcom is hoping PC gamers will be interested in revisiting the franchise's last gleaming moment one more time in the newly announced Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition. The new version will apparently run "at a smooth 60 frames per second" and cost only $19.99 on Steam where it will be distributed. Gamers who decide to pre-order the Ultimate edition will also be privy to a digital soundtrack and artbook. According to Capcom's press release the new version will release on February 28th. That said, its Steam page currently says it will be available February 27th. We're reaching out to Capcom to confirm the date.

[gallery=2034]

All of this said, we're curious as to whether or not this new PC version strikes your fancy or not. While I do hold Resident Evil 4 (and Code Veronica to an extent) responsible for the series' unfortunate turn away from survival horror, I still played it to death back when it first came out and wouldn't mind giving it another go today. Even so, I'm still not sure if I'm willing to invest in a game that I still have on various other platforms.

Update: Capcom has confirmed that the release date is February 28th.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
As soon as it goes on sale on Steam, instant buy! Just like everything else that goes on sale...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
But what about Resident Evil 1-3? How else will pc gamers keep up with the highly cerebral plot without those?

I'll probably pick this up at some point, I've been wanting to play though 4 again, but I'm too lazy to hook up my gamecube.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

This is most certainly unexpected, AND I WANT IT!. Strangely, I've been aching to play RE4 again, my lil' Cube is broken, my sister's Wii is beyond my reach at the moment*, and the original Ubisoft port sucks, so I've been holding out against buying it.

Captcha: Happy blessings. Yes indeed captcha!... STOP WATCHING ME! D:

[small]*It didn't sound as horrible in my head :/[/small]

EDIT: OMG, the system requirements are fucking ridiculous!... I mean, I do meet and even surpass them, but... 15 gb of space!?, 2-4 gb of ram!?, dual core+ CPU!?... for a freaking GameCube game!?... you're lucky I desperately want this and I meet/surpass the requirements Capcom, but this is fucking ridiculous. [small]Can you port Okami to the PC too?, plz? :D[/small]

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
The number of times a sentence began with "That said..." started to become quite redundant. That said, I know quite a few people who are excited for an HD edition of RE4.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
StewShearer said:
That said, we're curious as to whether or not this new PC version strikes your fancy or not.
Considering I borrowed my parents gamecube to play my old RE4 and RE1 remake yes I can definitely say that this interests me greatly. In fact I'd love it if they re-released the RE1 remake for PC while they are at it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
All I need to know here is if it will have mouse controls or not.

Seriously, the old PC version of it lacked that and even the mods to enable it sucked so much it was controller or nothing for that game. I have this game on the Wii and I can't go back to controllers after that way of aiming. It was awesome!

Also I do like this game.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Yopaz said:
Part of me wants to think I live in a world where that would be a given but considering what you said about the old version it's possible but unlikely. I bought both Revelations and RE6 which both had full controller and keyboard/mouse control support (and allowed switching between the 2 at any time). Unfortunately the steam store page doesn't list any support besides controller but the other RE's pages said the same thing.

edit: Jebus the store page says 15GB size? The previous HD port for consoles was only 3.3GB.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
toomuchnothing said:
Yopaz said:
Part of me wants to think I live in a world where that would be a given but considering what you said about the old version it's possible but unlikely. I bought both Revelations and RE6 which both had full controller and keyboard/mouse control support (and allowed switching between the 2 at any time). Unfortunately the steam store page doesn't list any support besides controller but the other RE's pages said the same thing.

edit: Jebus the store page says 15GB size? The previous HD port for consoles was only 3.3GB.
Yeah, you would think that with Resident Evil 5, 6 and Revelations having mouse support they should include it for future (past?) games, but this is Capcom... no-one's blaming them for being too smart.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
Olympian system requirements aside, I would be interested in an HD version of RE4. It was a great game, even though it wasn't survival horror.

Then again, if Capcom screws it up the way Konami screwed up Silent Hill HD, then I'll definitely forget about it.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Capcom, I got a quote for ya:
"The game that defined the 7th generation of gaming, from beginning to end."
But for real, this is the best example of 5/10 (5= Technical perfect) game ever and it is my stupid shooter of choice.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Capcom up to their old tricks, eh? Anything to get their back catalog on Steam.

Everyone and their mother has played RE 4. If anyone desperately needs 60 frames and the best quality textures, nab the last PC port. There's a pretty decent mod community still running.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
EiMitch said:
Olympian system requirements aside,
The only thing on the specs that looks a bit off is that AMD CPU's seem to require quite alot more horsepower than Intel ones seem to, and even then only at higher graphical settings. I would assume.

That aside, i could probably run it to a decent standard on my 3 year old laptop.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Does this thing have mouse support? If yes I'll buy it.

EDIT: It does! IT DOES!

Does this mean we might get Devil May Cry HD collection on Steam? Please? Pretty please?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
If they're going to make an HD re-release, why not add new high-res textures?

Looks good regardless. I might get it.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm going to wait and see with this one. Because I remember the previous Resident Evil 4 port.

Fucking thing didn't even have mouse support.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Let us hope it is better than the last PC go round.... I still have nightmares about that control scheme. I never got past the boulder if you really want to know.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Ehhh, I don't find the graphics very spectacular, the 'HD' pretty much looks like what I remember the original port being. Granted that's just my memory of the graphics back in the day, it very well may have looked alot more like ass.

But I probably won't be buying, I played the original to death and I see no purpose in buying a game I've already beaten when I have a massive backlog of games I don't have time for anyway.