Resurrect the cartdridges!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Before you pick up that torch or even consider giving more edge to your axes and pitchforks, let me explain a bit. Consider everything I say as wild speculation that came to my mind while day dreaming, I'm no engineer or programmer and I seriously don't know if such a thing would be feasable for today's standards. Ok, here we go:

While watching my sister play a couple of Virtual Console games, I had a nostalgia trip, thinking about how easier it was back in the day to simply pop-in a cartdrige and a few seconds later you were already playing. Then, an idea struck my mind. Why doesn't the industry even consider the idea of returning to such a business?.

First a bit of backstory: back then, it was a serious hassle, as every arcade port made by Sega for the Genesis might suggest (just look at Thunderblade [http://youtu.be/GRBQe2xgwHc] and Super Thunderblade [http://youtu.be/KjYH6Uy8UtA]), back then, both the Genesis and the Snes' cartdridges had a limit of 4 mb per game, not every single game used that capacity, but the heavier ones did, like Chrono Trigger or Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles had 2 mb of space each and combined with the lock-on feature, had the maximum capacity available for a Genesis cartdridge).

One generation later, we had the N64 cartdridges that were seriously expensive to manufacture and expensive for the customer, those ones had a maximum capacity of 512 mbits, or 64 megabytes (Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day were the heaviest ones, both figuratively and literally) and they had a huge advantage against it's CD based competition, data transfer speeds.

After the N64, the use of cartridges were unheard of for 2 generations, except for the handheld realm, wich they still thrived. GBA's cartdridges were much easier to manufacture and held much more space than an Snes cart, holding a maximum of 64 mbits, or 32 megabytes, not too shaby for a platform that was more or less a portable SNES. A generation later, the NDS "cards" had much, much more space available, with a maximum capacity of 1gbit or 512 megabytes (there's still not a single NDS game to reach that maximum capacity, the heaviest ones use 256 mbytes of capacity).

Today, both the 3DS and the PS Vita still use cartdridges with a lot of space, as far as I know, the 3DS' carts have a maximum capacity of 8 gb and the Vita 8 or 16 gb, we've reached much more capacity and data transfer speeds than we had back then.

With all of this said, I think it's time for the industry to start re-considering cartdridges as it's main form of distribution for consoles. Aesthetically speaking, it doesn't have to be the clunky design of a 90's cartdridge, or even the same size of those, I'd be happy holding in my hand a copy of, say, Rage (a game that's the size of 3 DVDs or an almost full BluRay disc) in something in the size of somehthing similar to an iPod Shuffle.

Just think about it, the data transfer speeds would increment exponentially, something similar to an SSD [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive], combined with a boost in ram memory, it could make the use of harddrive discs almost unnecessary, except when you need to download DLC, but then, the developers could save a bit of space into those things to store all of your DLC into that same cartdridge, in the case of downloadable games, I don't know, maybe include some form of an incredibly big Nand memory into the console, making it almost a gaming SSD. Also, the lack of movable parts to read the device would hugely increment the longevity of both the game and the console (no more scratched discs!).

I really don't know how much it would cost to manufacture these in the long run and I think making a DVD or a BD is much more cheap than to make these things, but then, we've already reached to the point where an USB thumb drive [http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ36-008G-A11/dp/B001T9CTRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328417057&sr=8-1] of 8gb costs $3.

So, what do you think about my wildly speculative and uninformed idea?, share your thoughts!.

EDIT: Well, damn it, I swear I didn't know MovieBob already touched upon the subject before, but this is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, possible. It'd probably also make piracy a little more difficult, since you can't just stick a cartridge in your PC...Feel free to edit that consideration into your original post.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
I think the main problem with this (which I have experienced trying to run firefox off a USB) is that constantly trying to have it reading the thing, actually burns it out quite fast. As in, a few weeks of intermittent use.

It's a great idea, but technologically it could be a problem to have such big games, transferring such large amounts of data. And to be honest, DVDs literally cost about £0.25 to make... For the same size. I can't see an upside to this idea from a business point of view. I'm a PC gamer though, and my small collection of discs (most of its on steam) still takes up a lot of room, it would be a lot easier to have them all on small USB-esque sticks.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
The greedy publishers will never consider going from a disc that costs a nickel back to having circuit boards, memory chips, connector pins, injection molded plastic, etc. It costs money.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
You aren't a real gamer unless you've suffered having to blow into a cartridge and then the console to try and get it to work.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
Hmm, possible. It'd probably also make piracy a little more difficult, since you can't just stick a cartridge in your PC...Feel free to edit that consideration into your original post.
Hate to break it to ya man, but cartridge games are pirated and people use emulators on their PC's to play them.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
aPod said:
leet_x1337 said:
Hate to break it to ya man, but cartridge games are pirated and people use emulators on their PC's to play them.
I meant in terms of day one piracy - people have had 25 years to copy and crack a given NES game, for instance.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
That drive is $9 so we'd be looking at something like that as an increase to game prices. Plus it's looking like games are going to be moving onto Blu Ray soon so a comparable storage solution is going to be that much more expensive.

Most importantly loading delays are less than a tenth of a percent of how long it takes to boot up a game. You have the console logos, then the publisher logo, health warnings, copyright warnings, middleware adverts, ads for hardware manufacturers, legal warnings, pointless start screens, loading selection screens, log on to servers, upload player details. Cartridges would take you from a minute and a half boot to game to one minute 29 seconds and 9 tenths of a second. If developers gave a shit they could easily reduce times far more by doing all the loading and logging on and selection during the random ads and copyright. Bottom line is that games take so long to load because of capitalism, not technology.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Rack said:
That drive is $9 so we'd be looking at something like that as an increase to game prices. Plus it's looking like games are going to be moving onto Blu Ray soon so a comparable storage solution is going to be that much more expensive.

Most importantly loading delays are less than a tenth of a percent of how long it takes to boot up a game. You have the console logos, then the publisher logo, health warnings, copyright warnings, middleware adverts, ads for hardware manufacturers, legal warnings, pointless start screens, loading selection screens, log on to servers, upload player details. Cartridges would take you from a minute and a half boot to game to one minute 29 seconds and 9 tenths of a second. If developers gave a shit they could easily reduce times far more by doing all the loading and logging on and selection during the random ads and copyright. Bottom line is that games take so long to load because of capitalism, not technology.
I can see your point and yes, they could seriously reduce all of that nonsense, like cramming all that crap onto a single screen, bloated with logos, while loading the game, instead of making those screens appear one by one, more or less, just like in the old days of SNES and Genesis, wich also had those, even the N64 had like 2 or 3 screens bloated with logos and other legal things, just look at Turok 2, for example, with the Expansion Pack inserted, for an extra logo :p

Legiondude

Jan 21, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
And yet there are roms of old style games.

Wonder how that happened >_>

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I also love the fact that with a cartridge you can't scratch it, and if you leave it out of the case it doesn't matter =p

Legiondude said:
leet_x1337 said:
And yet there are roms of old style games.

Wonder how that happened >_>
Aliens?

http://b.static.memegenerator.net/cache/instances/500x/13/13752/14082868.jpg

And all the DS and 3DS roms =p

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
usmarine4160 said:
I miss the old console games, back in those days you release a buggy game your company went out of business :p
Tiswas said:
You aren't a real gamer unless you've suffered having to blow into a cartridge and then the console to try and get it to work.
There was nothing like saliva to get those pesky games working. I thought piracy was rife for carts? Look at all the dodgy carts you can get from Hong Kong on ebay?

Still got my genesis with a couple of shining force games and streets of rage. May get it out now.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
At this point in time, MLC nand flash memory costs to the tune of roughly 0,6$ for a gigabyte.

Now, the thing about nand flash memory is that the added cost when incraseing the size is almost liniar, which means twice the size is twice as expensive.

So, say you wanna make a cartridge to replace a blueray, your looking at somewhere in the regeion of 30$ added onto the games price, just for the memory. And on top of that you have the aditional production costs for injektion molding, and and control circuts.

Ofcouse, this will come down as time moves on, but right now, would you be willing to pay this much extra to have a cartridge instead of a disk?

As people have already pointed out, the future is probably in digital distribution rather then physical media, for good reasons.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
been watching the game overthinker have we?

yeah, i think it could work. not for all games, your fallouts and mass effects should probably come on discs to make it easier in the long run, but i don't see why we couldn't download some stuff off a disc or something and store the rest on a usb.

i'm not a programmer of course, so there might be some obvious reason why that wouldn't work, because i'm fairly sure i'm not the only one to think of this.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'd love that, Think about it. Game breaking glitch in Skyrim? Take it out and blow and Voila!