Retailers List DJ Hero at $120

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Retailers List DJ Hero at $120

GameStop and Amazon have listed Activision's upcoming music game DJ Hero at $120 for a bundle that comes with the game's turntable peripheral.

When Capcom's Steel Battalion [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion] launched in 2002 with a $200 price tag because of its ridiculously intricate 40 button, two control stick peripheral, people laughed. Little did they know that before the end of this decade, peripheral-based gaming would see a massive rise in popularity thanks to the music game phenomenon.

I'm not saying that people nowadays would pay $200 for a game-peripheral bundle for some hardcore mech sim, but the standards have changed. Or at least publishers think they have: Activision appears to be pricing its upcoming DJ Hero at $120 on all platforms. That's what Amazon [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74928] both are listing the game-turntable bundle as, and they're both saying it'll come out on October 27.

If the number 120 and the word Activision ring a bell in your mind, that's because $120 is the price of Activision's Tony Hawk: Ride bundle, which comes with a skateboard controller. The question when it comes to Ride is the same one gamers will have to ask for DJ Hero: Is this really worth $120?

Judging from the RJD2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9loz95y7vk], it could be simply too much money for a new game about music they're not entirely familiar with.

Activision's other new Hero property, Band Hero has also been listed at GameStop at $200.

DJ Hero is, arguably, a risk for Activision, regardless of how much it costs. If it actually does cost $120, does that change anybody's interest in the game? Does it dissuade those of you who were going to buy the game, or change the opinion of those of you who were considering it?

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/18/retailers-list-dj-hero-for-120-handful-of-other-activision-tit/]]

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Oh who cares for DJing? Really, I'd rather have a guitar solo than a scratch solo. And the obscurity of the property shows a real risk for Activision that I believe won't pay off.

Also, Band Hero? You mean they're finally titling the series what it should be called at this point anyway?
Band Hero is a separate entry, it's supposed to be a family-friendly music game. Guitar Hero 5 will be the successor to World Tour.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Oh who cares for DJing? Really, I'd rather have a guitar solo than a scratch solo. And the obscurity of the property shows a real risk for Activision that I believe won't pay off.

Also, Band Hero? You mean they're finally titling the series what it should be called at this point anyway?
Band Hero?
BAND HERO?!
I'm struggling to bottle the rage. How stupid can these names get. I...they...just, wh-
;_;

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
That picture has 3 buttons. I'm not paying $120 for 3 buttons!
But it has knobs, too.

Buttons and knobs. Clearly we are living in the future.
If I wanted to play with knobs I wouldn't have to leave the house or pay $120.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Keane Ng said:
When Capcom's Steel Battalion [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion] launched in 2002 with a $200 price tag because of its ridiculously intricate 40 button, two control stick peripheral, people laughed.
I loved Steel Battalion. It was worth the money except when you forget to eject, then you're fucked and must start all over. Anywho. That's pretty pricey for a piece of junk.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
i wonder how much it costs to make a plastic box with buttons and knobs? cause it sure isnt costing them $100 to make one

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
If I actually wanted it I would pay, but DJ hero just seems stupid to me. What will be next? Harp hero? Saxaphone hero? Piano hero? Recorder hero? I feel those examples will sufice.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, I have to say that Activision just destroyed my interest in getting this game. I was willing to experiment, but not at 120$... that's a little much. EDIT: I was actually totally into the idea of this game, but come on! You're asking us to pay that much for a new IP? Even Rock Band seemed to be well within the "buyer's speculation": it was just something we'd seen before done better. Here, it's a whole nother story: they're asking us to pony up 120 smackeroos for something that's entirely different than what's come before. I mean, the people aren't exactly fond of Beatmania, the only other DJ game I know...

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I love how this is getting blasted while Guitar Hero/Rock Band aren't while it isn't doing anything radically different from their model. I'd be interested since I like this type of music but on the other hand it seems like Beatmania already does this kind of game better. And it's Activision, which kind of turns me off from it.

Hydrus

Oct 16, 2008
This game is fundamentally flawed. No DJ is a hero.

They're all just ugly bald men in their 40's, or French.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
DJ Hero will fail, simply because the only good DJ songs are one's they won't have the balls to put on the game.

"Lift your head up high and blow your brains out" - Bloodhound Gang
would be the only type of song that'd get me to consider buying it.