Returnal Impressions - Bruturnal

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Over the past ten years or ago, Rogue-likes have made a big splash in the indie gaming market. Games like Binding of Issac, Risk of Rain, Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, Hades, Splunkey, Rogue Legacy, and many many more have all created a buzz that many AAA-games have taken some sort of inspiration from. All of these games have several core elements that group them all together, procedural generation of levels, enemies, and powerups, losing everything when you die but maintaining some sort of currency or upgrades forever to make each run gradually easier, things of that nature. By now I'm sure we all have a pretty good idea of what makes a game a "Rogue-like".

So Returnal then.

A PS5 exclusive, Returnal is probably the closest thing to a AAA-Rogue-like that we've ever gotten. And something I was excited for, because while I do enjoy the indie Rogue-likes I've wondered what a big budget uber-graphic Rogue-like would look like. The answer is Returnal. And it looks....well it looks okay. I mean the graphics are fantastic sure, and this is certainly next-gen levels of detail. Unfortunately for me, the levels are too samey to really take it all in with any sort of awe for too long. I'll explain later.

So gameplay then, Returnal is a 3rd person shooter in which you explore a series of randomly generated rooms in a linear fashion, fighting enemies along the way in order to reach a boss at the end of the world. In this game each location is called a Biome, and I believe there are 5 or 6 Biomes in total. Which if you get really really good and a bit lucky you could probably beat the game fairly quickly, because 6 levels isn't a lot of location for a big AAA-game. Of course that's easy to say on paper, in practice Returnal keeps that typical Rogue-Like roadblock.....it's fucking hard.

Every enemy fights you back in basically one of two ways. Either filling your screen with bullet-hell projectiles or charge/jumping at you with powerful melee swings. You have a dodge on a short cooldown that will let you dodge through attacks and bullets, all the while you are firing your weapon as best as you can to thin the army of nightmares coming after you. Most enemies when you fight them in small groups of 1-3 don't pose much of a challenge, even the big elite enemies that are much more powerful are fairly easy to defeat if you can deal with them alone. The thing is.....they are never alone. Early in the game you'll only fight small groups, with a few rare exceptions, but later on big groups of 5+ become the norm and when you are trying to dodge bullet-hell garbage AND big leaping fucking monsters trying to crush your skull, shit gets hard almost to bullshit levels of hard.

What further compounds the difficulty in Returnal is the fact that unlock most Rogue-like games, there really isn't much "meta" progression. That progression in most Rogue-likes that lets you build permanent improvements into your character like more max health or more powerful guns from the start. While I'm only about 5 hours into the game and still "stuck" in the first Biome because the first boss is a fucking 3-phase dipshit, I have not yet found or seen anything that could be considered a permanent upgrade. There are a few things you keep every death like your primary pistol and a sword for melee attacks once you find them, but the game isn't very clear on what else you keep. I think you keep Ether fragments (which are a currency you spend on randomly found things in the world) and maybe chest keys, but otherwise you start from ground zero everytime.

Which brings me to Returnal's RNG. The levels are randomly stuck together, but the map itself is basically linear. Additionally there is no real reason to explore in the game because your mini map highlights every pick-up, weapon, chest, and collectible, with clear icons, on top of that the map clearly marks exactly where you are supposed to go at all times. So if you enter a room and your mini map has no icons, simply run through to the next room no reason to look around. Which honestly is probably a good thing because while the world looks cool and everything, the environment gets real samey real fucking quick. Which I ended up finding real boring. So the world around the gameplay is not that exciting after your first run or two.

Then there is the other problem with RNG-based difficult games. You can be fucked very quickly and very easily. This can happen one of two ways. Either you just get a bunch of shitty brutal combat rooms the moment your run begins before you've gotten any sort of passive upgrades or weapons to help. Or you have a fairly easy run to the boss room, but you've either got no real upgrades, or no new weapons that make any difference. Which means you are fighting a boss with a crippling handicap which never feels good. And remember the mini map shows you where everything is, so it's hard to miss things like potential pick ups.

Ok that's a lot of complaining, and if you read all that you are probably thinking that I find the game pretty mediocre. And yeah, in some ways I do.

But....when RNG isn't fucking you, and you get a good gun, damn the shit feels good. And that's the thing, the gameplay feels great, your character is responsive, the shoot feels good and the enemies aren't jerking around too much to make it a hinderance to fight them using a controller. The monsters are not going to be juking you and be hard to hit. The challenge they offer comes from the sheer movement that YOU have to do to avoid the bullet-hell firefights and ducking the big melee based bastards.

When things are going right, the game feels great. It's just unfortunate that you can really feel screwed over by bad RNG due to the lack of carry over upgrades that you'd find in a typical game like this.

Additionally the story is really neat here. It's like playing an Alien's game, with the way the weave some really interesting horror elements into the game as you try to figure out what is going on here and why you keep waking up on this planet every time you die. The mystery here is interesting, and keeps you wanting to find more recordings and story elements. Shame that they are few and far between, and at certain points you'll have seen everything the Biome can offer you until you finally beat the boss and get to the next area. Eventually making your runs, just runs and crossed fingers.

So at the end of my night of playing I'm conflicted. I can see a great experience here, but I also don't see the things I have come to expect from a game like this which yields some very frustrating moments. I can definitely see that a lot of people will pick this up and enjoy every moment, because there are buttons the game definitely pushes. But I can also see a lot of people bouncing off this title very very quickly due to the nature of the RNG and punishing lack of real progress after spending an hour plus to get to a boss only to be defeated quickly and forced back to the start with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Almost crying for the owners of the Digital Only PS5. Standard Edition of Returnal costs 79,95€.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So Returnal then…

it’s fucking hard.
Sounds like a game particularly for the seasoned brand of masochist. I suppose it would be awesome to play with 3D headphones from what I’ve heard. They should’ve made the levels more bite sized though if they’re going to pull the instant death crap that fucks all your previous effort. Or perhaps use the exploration secrets to trigger a memory or something where you can save map progress before key sequences like bosses.

It’s easy to see why there are design shortcomings here, considering all the developer’s previous games have been basically arcade shooters. They probably should have consulted with some other folks at Sony’s studios whose bread n butter are action/adventure, at least for progression feedback.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@CriticalGaming, is it harder than Vanquish on God Hard mode?
No clue.

Though it should be noted that on my very next run after writing i did beat the first boss. Entered the next Biome which is a red desert that is very pretty but unremarkable level design wise. Just open spaces with random broken buildings scattered about.

A lots of bullets.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
No clue.

Though it should be noted that on my very next run after writing i did beat the first boss. Entered the next Biome which is a red desert that is very pretty but unremarkable level design wise. Just open spaces with random broken buildings scattered about.

A lots of bullets.
So easy to spot procedurally generated environments, but understandable why they did it as with the “loop” factor it allows infinite variants.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah bullet hell from a third-person shooter 3d perspective is just a hard pass from me. The whole premise of bullet hell is finding the holes in the patterns that you can't see at that angle.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah bullet hell from a third-person shooter 3d perspective is just a hard pass from me. The whole premise of bullet hell is finding the holes in the patterns that you can't see at that angle.
Yeah thats kind of the problem i found as well. I find the best tactic is to duck behind cover or jump up or down in elevation to just avoid the needle threading of the actual patterns.

Movement is key and mostly instead of dealing with the patterns you are running way the fuck away from it because it is easier that way.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Or you simply need to git gud…

I find her plight kinda funny though. She was clearly being warned not to proceed to this place but *game*.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'll probably give it a try whenever I end up getting a PS5. The one thing about Skillup's review that was odd was how left trigger was used for shooting but holding it down was like alternate fire or something. That seems like I might do that a lot by mistake plus I always switch L2 and R2 to L1 and R1 for my shooting games and I'm guessing you can't really do that then in this game. Also, does the PS5 let you remap all the buttons like PS4?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'll probably give it a try whenever I end up getting a PS5. The one thing about Skillup's review that was odd was how left trigger was used for shooting but holding it down was like alternate fire or something. That seems like I might do that a lot by mistake plus I always switch L2 and R2 to L1 and R1 for my shooting games and I'm guessing you can't really do that then in this game. Also, does the PS5 let you remap all the buttons like PS4?
It think so, but the point was the adaptive triggers are used for alt fire. So when you press initially it’ll stop half way for ADS, but if you squeeze harder it’ll click for alt fire.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You can aim down sights by lightly squeezing the trigger, then pulling it all the way down (which is harder than it sounds because the controller fights you until you squeeze it tight enough to click the button down) arms the alternate fire.

Additionally it should be noted that your targeting reticle is always there and you can fire freely without aiming down sights. I actually long since stopped using the sights aiming because it narrows your view of the screen and makes it impossible to dodge the bullets coming your way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah thats kind of the problem i found as well. I find the best tactic is to duck behind cover or jump up or down in elevation to just avoid the needle threading of the actual patterns.

Movement is key and mostly instead of dealing with the patterns you are running way the fuck away from it because it is easier that way.
So what you need to do is

Where MAI Dodge Roll Cancel at?!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man fuck that, dying 2 shoot from even the weakest gun is no fun. I've only beaten the first level and it felt like I was abusing the dodge mechanic.
I don't blame you. I find Hard Mode the most fun in Vanquish, because you can still upgrade your weapons. GH mode, you have to abuse the dodge mechanic to succeed, and use the 3rd person cover shooter trick.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So on one hand it looks well put together and I'm sure it's a good rogue-like/rogue-lite(not sure which one it's supposed to be).

OTOH, my tolerance for rouge-likes/Rogue-lites isn't great. Hades was the one I liked the most and I haven't even beaten a run on that yet(granted, I stopped playing it months ago and haven't gone back to it yet because the gameplay wasn't gripping me nearly as much as the characters and art were) so gonna go with this being a no even when I get my hands on a PS5 in like a year.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So on one hand it looks well put together and I'm sure it's a good rogue-like/rogue-lite(not sure which one it's supposed to be).

OTOH, my tolerance for rouge-likes/Rogue-lites isn't great. Hades was the one I liked the most and I haven't even beaten a run on that yet(granted, I stopped playing it months ago and haven't gone back to it yet because the gameplay wasn't gripping me nearly as much as the characters and art were) so gonna go with this being a no even when I get my hands on a PS5 in like a year.
Skillup said the game was a pretty bad rogue-like/lite if you're gonna rate it just on that. I think it's a you play the level (biome) over and over again until you beat it vs one run to beat the whole thing. So more like just an arcade game that saves your progress after every (long) level that's functionally a bullet bell 3rd person shooter with some procedural level generation. I don't think that'll change your decision too much but that's what I think the game basically is, anyone can correct that if I'm wrong.