Returnal Impressions - Bruturnal

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Skillup said the game was a pretty bad rogue-like/lite if you're gonna rate it just on that. I think it's a you play the level (biome) over and over again until you beat it vs one run to beat the whole thing. So more like just an arcade game that saves your progress after every (long) level that's functionally a bullet bell 3rd person shooter with some procedural level generation. I don't think that'll change your decision too much but that's what I think the game basically is, anyone can correct that if I'm wrong.
No that's about right really.

Nick said is was the first surprise of 2021, but honestly I think the game is only decent. I think it might be a stand out for 2021 because the year is looking like trash for the most part. So the lack of any hype releases is going to elevate Returnal in the end-of-year nods. I mean I don't even know what's coming out this year besides Resident Evil 8, and an upgrade for FF7R (which will be my GOTY again i don't give a fuck).

EDIT: OH also Pokemon SNAP came out, but I couldn't care less about that lazy cash-in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No that's about right really.

Nick said is was the first surprise of 2021, but honestly I think the game is only decent. I think it might be a stand out for 2021 because the year is looking like trash for the most part. So the lack of any hype releases is going to elevate Returnal in the end-of-year nods. I mean I don't even know what's coming out this year besides Resident Evil 8, and an upgrade for FF7R (which will be my GOTY again i don't give a fuck).

EDIT: OH also Pokemon SNAP came out, but I couldn't care less about that lazy cash-in.
Guilty Gear Strive
No More Heroes 3
House of the Dead remake.
TMNT Revenge of Shredder
Kena: Bridge Of Spirits

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Skillup said the game was a pretty bad rogue-like/lite if you're gonna rate it just on that. I think it's a you play the level (biome) over and over again until you beat it vs one run to beat the whole thing. So more like just an arcade game that saves your progress after every (long) level that's functionally a bullet bell 3rd person shooter with some procedural level generation. I don't think that'll change your decision too much but that's what I think the game basically is, anyone can correct that if I'm wrong.
That does change the dynamic a little but not enough to make me want to grab it, especially since by the time I have a PS5 they will likely be a couple other games I'm far more interested in by that point.

Whadda Say Konami? MGS3 HD remake?

Fine, be that way....

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Guilty Gear Strive
No More Heroes 3
House of the Dead remake.
TMNT Revenge of Shredder
Kena: Bridge Of Spirits
Kena, is the only one on my radar from those titles. Anime fighters are too niche for GOTY noms I think, but best fighter sure. No More Heroes I see as being cult-popular only as with the previous games. And TMNT will likely be good, but it's hard to see it hitting any kind of top spot in awards for the year.

Then again, if the year continues to suck....why not right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
. Anime fighters are too niche for GOTY noms I think, but best fighter sure. No More Heroes I see as being cult-popular only as with the previous games. And TMNT will likely be good, but it's hard to see it hitting any kind of top spot in awards for the year.
I could not care less about potential GOTY, pretentious award show, or some random schmoe's Top Ten. These are games that going to be great regardless, and couple are going to be on my list. While NMH has always had a cult following, it's only gotten bigger over the years. I'm happy we even got a 3.

Then again, if the year continues to suck....why not right?
The year might suck for (most) AAA games, but that is where the AA & indie come in to save the day.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I could not care less about potential GOTY, pretentious award show, or some random schmoe's Top Ten. These are games that going to be great regardless, and couple are going to be on my list. While NMH has always had a cult following, it's only gotten bigger over the years. I happy we even got a 3.

The year might suck for AAA games, but that is where the AA & indie come in to save the day.
I mean we all have their own lists right. You can be the AA guy :).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean we all have their own lists right. You can be the AA guy .
I appreciate the credit, but I don't want to be the AA/Indie guy. I want to be known as the guy likes playing good-great quality games. No matter what A they come from. It's just knowing, most of the AAA (Western) industry can't even make it to a quarter way of the "A" game. The only ones that come close to trusting are Platinum games and sometimes Capcom.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
His first impression vid sounded like he was digging it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
He did like it and ended up recommending it. He just warned people that were expecting a true "Rogue-lite" that Returnal would fall a bit short of that mark. It's still a good game, it's just a different experience than a lot of people who like the genre might be looking for going in.

I'd easily land on a 6.5/10 for the game overall. It's good, it's not great, but it's still good.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It think so, but the point was the adaptive triggers are used for alt fire. So when you press initially it’ll stop half way for ADS, but if you squeeze harder it’ll click for alt fire.
Yeah, I know, but my muscle memory is so used to L1+R1.

He really liked the game, just that, like Critical said, if you're going in hoping for a solid rogue-like, you'll be disappointed probably.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
He did like it and ended up recommending it. He just warned people that were expecting a true "Rogue-lite" that Returnal would fall a bit short of that mark. It's still a good game, it's just a different experience than a lot of people who like the genre might be looking for going in.

I'd easily land on a 6.5/10 for the game overall. It's good, it's not great, but it's still good.
Yeah, I know, but my muscle memory is so used to L1+R1.

He really liked the game, just that, like Critical said, if you're going in hoping for a solid rogue-like, you'll be disappointed probably.
So for someone unfamiliar with rogue anything outside of a few runs of Darkest Dungeon, is Returnal ultimately tipping the scales of rogue-like difficulty, or not difficult enough for those folks?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So for someone unfamiliar with rogue anything outside of a few runs of Darkest Dungeon, is Returnal ultimately tipping the scales of rogue-like difficulty, or not difficult enough for those folks?
I got no clue about difficulty. Skillup did day stuff like if you're expecting every run (of the level) to be different or unique, Returnal doesn't have that. There isn't any new things you're gonna get that mesh in a way to change much of anything gameplay-wise, there's no builds basically. If you go in just wanting a fun bullet hell shooter, Returnal delivers in Skillup's opinion at least.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker