Plano, TX
Country
United States
Xsjadoblayde said:
Podcasts.

Podcasts.

Podcasts!

They allow multitasking to continue.

You could even call it The Escape-Pod! ;)

*sigh*

I don't have any real ideas.

Just words.

And abandonment issues.

Please don't go.
Haha! I?d like to see moar Xsjadoblayde posts; that bear cracks me up.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I'd like to see Critical Miss and Erin Dies Alone return to the site.

(yes I know EDA has continued on it's own site but I'd hope being paid to put it on The Escapist would help give it a regular update schedule)

Aug 31, 2012
The longer LRR videos were some of my favourite content, but I think they said the short crapshots got them just as much money for a lot less effort.
I loved the podcast when everyone was in the same room, after that it lost a lot of the chemistry.
Doraleus.
I also really liked all the tech and science news that used to get posted.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
HELLO AGAIN ALL YOU LOVELY PEOPLE IT'S SO GOOD TO SEE YOU ALL

erm, I would like Unskippable back. Also some good ol written articles. And Critical Miss

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I prefer written content. Preferably about more niche genres and indie games.

Especially if they describe the game from a gameplay perspective, detailing the type of camera, quick-time events, scripted fights/push button to perform awesome take-down #5, control responsiveness/m&kb or gamepad, console or PC port.
Things of that nature.
Graphics I can view for myself. Story is something one should experience personally. Sound is only relevant when it is bad.

Mimicry being the highest form of flattery, should stand you in good stead for a "WTF is" like show.
I could also watch shorter shows like Yahtzee.
Comics are always nice to read.

I will not be watching any streaming, podcasts, or shows longer than 20 minutes.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Unskippable, some more written articles, maybe some comics... just content, really. Maybe some news, but from what I remember most of that was just regurgitated from other gaming sites anyway, so... not too fussed about that.

Also, a tech team, so the various collapsing systems could actually get fixed sometime before the whole place burns to the ground. That's... actually probably more important than any content at the moment, hard to really draw in creators when the place to upload videos is held together with craft glue and paper clips.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Well, I started a profile here a while ago before losing interest and leaving. Place seemed dead. Heard it got bought up, so I came back when they announced movie bob was returning. I always liked his content, and I've been following his youtube videos for a while now.

What would you like to see happen here?
More content creators, obviously. I miss that old comic they used to have.

What was old content you would love revived?
Well, they already brought back movie bob, so that's the main thing.

Written media or video content, what's more valuable to you?
Video's

Please keep the old grudges at the door. Catering will keep bringing in more free food.

i wasn't here long enough to build grudges. the gamergate stuff worried me, but it seems like that group left or got kicked out the door.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
More content creators would be good. I was mostly a videos guy when i first got here, but i grew to appreciate the written content once the video creators dissapeared, so written content is a good start i would say, maybe some web comics if possible.

Also the buffet better iclude some southern-fried guinea pig

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
The two I've watched most where Yahtzee who is still here and Jim who is certainly not coming back so that won't help you. I think you could also do with one or two people who can do the kind of easy to watch, fun content that Lisa Foiles used to do (I don't know where she is now). Not everything has to have the edge of Yahtzee, Jim and Bob.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Redlin5 said:

I'd like to see more focus on games. I know that sounds silly on a supposed gaming site, but rarely do I see videos and articles on the games that I actually play and am interested in, which are actually about those games. Jim and Shamus used to provide some interesting insights on design elements and gameplay. Yahtzee occasionally does a game I'm interested in but his videos are so irreverent that he can hardly be said to "cover" anything. Other than that it seemed like everything else from the old site focused on the non-gaming parts of gaming - I like that too but it shouldn't be the major focus.

Basically I think a more diverse oeuvre is needed and a more serious outlook on the medium, not just a sales pitch for or against the shiny, flashy new stuff. For that you need a site editor familiar with the entirety of gaming, the history of different genres and where they are heading, the figures at the forefront. Get a games scholar in to do a piece on historical elements inherited from non-electronic games, get writers from CDProject or TheChineseRoom to contribute insights on narrative design, get Emily Short in to do a series on text adventure design. Material that will inspire and motivate to change our outlook and raise the level to a higher artform.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Drathnoxis said:
I'd like to see a bustling forum with lots of interesting topics and discussions. I'd like to see the warning system revamped so old regulars stop dying the death of a thousand cuts. Preferably the permaban would be replaced with a month (or two) long suspension and permaban would be reserved for spambots and really serious offenses.

I'd like to see what I posted here put in place.

Also, I don't know if the Facebook comments are still here, but those should be axed.

I'd like to see Shamus's column come back.

Written, definitely. It's a far more efficient means of transmitting information. I hate having to watch a 10 minute video to see what I could read in 5.

I absolutely love long, detailed analyses of games and would really like to see the Escapist host something like Matthewmatosis's videos or Shamus's retrospectives. Except, exclusive to the Escapist, so as to draw people to the site.
Pretty much all of this.

Especially the bit about a warning system revamp- lost a lot of folks on here I'd consider pretty friendly/enjoyable to interact with due to that kind of bullshit.

Also, don't outsource all your stuff to youtube.

Kind of defeats the purpose and draws eyes AWAY from the site, not to it.

Side Note: LESS. FUCKING. BANNING. IN. GENERAL.

I don't get why I was and still continue to see bans when the site was on life support with sub-1,000 (which is a seriously, seriously, seriously charitable estimate) active posters.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I second Drathnoxis' banning comment.

Giving the site some technical upgrades would also be nice.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
bluegate said:
I second Drathnoxis' banning comment.

Giving the site some technical upgrades would also be nice.
Given The Escapist Forum has remained in the same format for so long, I'm left to wonder if an entirely new forum, with this one archived might not be the worst idea.

Newer forums that have sprung up have various neat little features which The Escapist is simply too old for.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I would like it if we didnt have half page banner ads at the top of our screens.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Redlin5 said:
A complete reassessment of the philosophy behind the rules-heavy moderation stance, herin pertaining to the effect of passive aggression caused by said stance and the toxic outcomes from it.

The Wild West

Give it a mix. Video content can be consumed passively, while written content is consumed actively. Also, you forgot Audio. There should be someone capable of doing a podcast on specific topics.