Review: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

rythter

Jul 20, 2009
Halley M said:
standokan said:
This probably is one of the last good games to come out on the regular ds, god I hate the ds 3D, especialy because I bought a new ds not too long ago.
I'm playing Ghost Trick right now and it's damn damn good. Not 999 good, but damn good. But I agree with you, the 3DS is going to ruin everything and I'm bitter because a) I just got a DSi XL and thus those regular-sized ones are WAAAAY too small for me now and I've seen nothing about a 3DS XL yet and b) I'm legally blind in one eye so the 3D might not even work for me which makes the whole novelty of the stupid thing moot. And it looks like a ripoff.
why do you hate the 3ds? it seems good

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
I absolutely loved this game. I kept playing until I got the true ending, one ending is a "false" ending in the sense it's the same as the true ending but stops because you don't have enough information to continue. Certain endings are important to get the true ending because of certain reasons explained in some of the other endings.

It snagged Game of the Year for me mainly for the one set of dialogue between Junpei and June (Akane), they were testing an elevator, and I purposely chose the incorrect assumption of "June doesn't want to be alone in the elevator with a boy" and so the hilarious exchange between the two, with Junpei thinking that June is nervous for getting physically close. I had to stop playing for a moment because I was laughing so hard.

Jonnypapoose

May 21, 2009
I haven't played this yet, but I'm going to get it asap now I've heard so many good things.
The plot reminds me of the manga Liar Game...

Jonnypapoose

May 21, 2009
Folio said:
I agree with Susan. Lotus looks ridiculous in that outfit. (I know why they put her in that, but still, it doesn't match anything except her bra size.)
it's in the style of an anime, so i guess its a given

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
A bit late to the party, but still...

Just beat the game in every possible way. I had a few "WTF?" moments (the most memorable was getting the 'Coffin' ending on my first try somehow, so the reward for my efforts was 'To Be Continued'), but there was definitely a lot more of 'Holy Shit, that's awesome!' moments. There is still one thing that bugs me...

I get the True ending, everything was logically explained there (although it was a bit mind-fucky).

I get it, that in the Axe ending
Clover goes insane after 'losing' her brother and kills everyone (duh! Captain Obvious).
I get it, that in the Safe ending
Junpei failed to save young Akane from incineration, and that's why she disappeared, and Zero said he lost the game.
I get it, that in the Knife ending
It was most likely Ace who stabbed Junpei
But I completely don't get the Submarine ending
Everyone except Snake - stabbed and killed. Snake - probably still stuck in a coffin. So who the hell killed all of them?

Anyway, great game, I'm going to bug my friends about it until they'll beat it as well...

kazriko

Apr 6, 2009
Just finished this game's true ending. Excellent. Definitely worth the $25 I spent on it. Another game that took me a little over a weekend to finish. I love the sort of VNs that operate on this sort of principle, like Disgaea Infinite as well. I hope we get more of these non-dating-sim-VNs over here.

Below is a spoiler about the true ending, so really, don't click unless you've finished it...
One thing that I don't grok for sure about the true ending. If it was Akane12 who was solving all the puzzles for Junpei, why is it that she gets stuck on the worlds easiest Sudoku puzzle? Was it just the stress of the 18 minute time limit?

My theory is that she didn't actually solve any of the puzzles, she was with people who received the puzzle solutions from the other ship, but when she got trapped in there alone with nobody who was a receiver...

This was the first game I've played that used the DS touch controls correctly, in a manner that couldn't be done with Dpad+buttons. I hate it when people (Like Hitmaker with A Witches Tale or Bioware with Sonic Chronicles) use the touch screen to give you a mandatory less efficient interface when the controls could all be done on D+Buttons...