Review: Blur

Kanima423

Feb 3, 2010
I've enjoyed this game quite a lot, to me its a good stress releif and almost like everyone wins when you play. Came 20/20? If I did people knew I was there cause I kept blowing them up or making their life a living hell! To me its fun also when the shoe is on the other foot and I am trying not to get blown to bits!

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Actually, I don't understand the complaint at all. I don't think I've come across a single game that doesn't keep your single player and multiplayer progressions separate, and even though it might just be because I don't get to play much lately, I think the reason the developers did this so was to lengthen the duration of the game.

But then again, I suppose it makes sense if the things you have to unlock on one mode are the same as the ones that you have to unlock in the other, in which case, it's not gameplay lengthening, it's just pointless repetition

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
steve butts said:
Review: Blur

Gran Turismo meets Mario Kart in this enjoyable, but not especially memorable, game.

Read Full Article
Dude...you were on IGN right? And now on The Escapist? Awesome.
And your review is spot on. This game was fun but what turned me off was the graphics actually. I don't think the realistic graphics work with this genre. Maybe cell-shaded.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
hmmmm, I agree. there's just not enough to this game, it sort of meets the genre half way, i got split second because it picked its orriginal idea and ran with it, and that worked; but I feel Blur has just tried to mix too much in...

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
edthehyena said:
I'm sad the review didn't mention that it has split screen multiplayer, making it an ideal game to play with friends. That was the main reason I bought it.
IMHO the multiplayer splitscreen make everything look very small. And since your car takes up a lot of screen, you might have to move your couch to the TV, or buy glasses...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
steve butts said:
Thanks for the comments. This is my first review for The Escapist, but I've been reviewing games professionally for nearly twelve years now. I've always felt that the purpose of a review is not to tell you what you should think of a game, but merely to tell you what I think of it. If I do that job well enough, my opinion can help to tell you whether you'll like a game more or less than I did. As always, disagreement is a crucial part of the process.

My interpretation of the difference between a 2-star and 3-star game is simply this: A 3-star game is fun but has some bad qualities. A 2-star game isn't fun but has some good qualities. Sadly, the video game market has adopted a hit-driven mentality that sees moderate successes as failures. This cynical belief that "good" isn't "good enough" keeps us from honestly appreciating the variety of games that exist between the extremes of perfection and disaster.
Wait, Steve Butts as in my favorite editor on IGN Steve Butts? I loved your PC reviews because your tastes seemed to be similar to mine. Also, you were pretty down to earth about things; other reviewers seemed to be way too high-score happy with "alright" games getting like an 8.

--------------

Anyways, for any people thinking of getting blur on the PC: the controls are not rebindable. Yep, it's 2010 and we can't pick our own key layouts. Thankfully, if you have a 360 controller you can use that and it has a pretty good layout.

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
addeB said:
Nothing can replace Mario Kart in this genre.
If the Crash Kart games stuck to the formula after Sierra took over, just maybe...

And then there's ModNation Racers which was reviewed earlier, of course, that poses a better candidate for this day and age.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
steve butts said:
I almost never get a chance to say this but, yes, I am THAT Steve Butts.
Awesome!
I used to listen to the PC Command Prompt podcast all the time too, I really respect you as a reviewer. You had your fans, I just best most of us never posted on IGN's forums because they were ... well if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all ;)

Jeeze, look at me ramble!
Welcome to the escapist, I hope you like it here!

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Hileict said:
dragon_of_red said:
Damn, I was hoping this game would turn out really good. Shame really, ah well, May as well rent it anyways.
..Yo... You're taking one review from "Random Guy on the Internet #5644657643231" as gospel and just from that, it's not a good game? Grow up and actually try it yourself. I never take reviews as law. I take it as "advice of what may or may not be expected". Hence why I haven't even touched Red Dead Redemption due to how unbelievably boring and dull it is. I've seen reviews giving it 9.5's and 10's. Doesn't mean it's good at all.
Then what the hell is the point of looking at reiews then? Or making thme at all. I was looking for someones opinion, and thats why I said i would Rent it first to see if it was worth a purchase.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
dragon_of_red said:
Hileict said:
dragon_of_red said:
Damn, I was hoping this game would turn out really good. Shame really, ah well, May as well rent it anyways.
..Yo... You're taking one review from "Random Guy on the Internet #5644657643231" as gospel and just from that, it's not a good game? Grow up and actually try it yourself. I never take reviews as law. I take it as "advice of what may or may not be expected". Hence why I haven't even touched Red Dead Redemption due to how unbelievably boring and dull it is. I've seen reviews giving it 9.5's and 10's. Doesn't mean it's good at all.
Then what the hell is the point of looking at reiews then? Or making thme at all. I was looking for someones opinion, and thats why I said i would Rent it first to see if it was worth a purchase.
Because reading and or watching a review is way faster, easier and cheaper than renting it.
If I'm interested in a game, I want to see someone explain things about it's mechanics and how they feel to give me a better glimpse at what the game is like.

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
In my opinion, both Blur and Split/Second suffer from one flaw that prevented them from being as good as Burnout, and that's the steering. Both games make steering and drifting a hassle providing, like he said, no feedback for the sweet spot. Many times I would go into a drift and do it perfectly only to lose half of my speed and 10 spots in the race. Besides that, both games are still enjoyable.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ah, man. I'd love a game that mixes Mario Kart frantic gameplay with real cars. This one looks like it came so close to being that great game and missed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The Random One said:
Ah, man. I'd love a game that mixes Mario Kart frantic gameplay with real cars. This one looks like it came so close to being that great game and missed.
It also has really awful commercials.
What's the deal with that?

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
While the review was good and touched on pretty much the same feelings I have about this game (the drifting is a bit off, it's a shame that single/multiplayer is separated, a bit too long lobby-times in multi etc) I disagree with the final result. This game is like cocaine for me and regulary keeps me from playing my other "better" games that I haven't managed to finish yet (red dead, alan wake...) since I get the urge to just go shunting people for a while...and then end up playing for hours just to get a couple of more fan levels.

It's a beautiful game that takes the best elements from mario kart (the powerups and combat) and gets rid of the stupid randomness actually allowing for some strategy. I am in love with this game even because of all its faults. My friends usually watch me play this and go "Meh, just another racing game with shooting?" - then I hand them the control and they go "WHOA YEAH DID YOU JUST SEE THAT". Splitscreen + 20 player online multiplayer means a lot of fun :)

As I said, well written review that touches on the games bad qualites, but for me personally this game deserves at least a 4.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Personally I loved the beta. A 20 man race with weapons firing off everywhere is an absolute blast. If you have a few friends playing online with you then its even better.

I would get it but I got 3 games for my birthday this week so I need to finish those first.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
you can't dodge a projectile. Now how I'm supposed to give a damn about your opinion if you(along with masses of others) can't play it.