Review: Breach

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
All those puns, I think I may have to Breach out and smack you for them.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
KEM10 said:
Is it bad that my lasting memory of this review will also be the puns?

I have to admit that the destruct-o scenery sounds pretty cool, and would be awesome within the framework of a more polished shooter. I'm currently catching up with the Killzone 2 party and while it sort of has destuctable scenery, it's only cosmetic, and that wall you keep shooting holes in is never going to fall down.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Well this review pretty much confirms that from all of the awesome trailers and entertaining interviews this is a true "fall of breach".

see what I did there?

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
rees263 said:
KEM10 said:
Is it bad that my lasting memory of this review will also be the puns?

I have to admit that the destruct-o scenery sounds pretty cool, and would be awesome within the framework of a more polished shooter. I'm currently catching up with the Killzone 2 party and while it sort of has destuctable scenery, it's only cosmetic, and that wall you keep shooting holes in is never going to fall down.
The problem lies somewhere between an overwhelming reviewer and an underwhelming game. And I don't remember Steve Butts to have been too over the top in his other reviews.

Jul 22, 2009
I wanted to try this out because of the destruction, and when you actually get to destroy things it actually works really well.

But there are a lot of hit detection problems, the movement is sluggish, the maps don't always seem geared towards destruction, which is the primary selling point so it seems odd the maps ignore that.

Oh well... only a few more days until Dead Space 2.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I was looking forward to this game, and I was a bit worried about it when they changed the release date from last summer to now. Awesome concepts, but it's coming at a terrible time. and Homefront comes out in just over a month. What's the point? I think someone should Breach Atomic how to make games!

Drof

Apr 17, 2009
Ah well there goes the Third from last Multilayer FPS To get excited about.. Only to be kicked in the face at last minute.

Now all i Have to do is wait for Homefront to come out and be a Battlefield Knock-off [not saying that it is] And Brink to come out and... be.. somehow rubbish?
Maybe Even The Almighty Bethesda aren't out of the reach of the collision detection faeries and the Lag Gremlins.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Eww...

That kid stole a piece of shit, after all.

Think I'll download the Costume Quest expansion.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Didn't Bad Company and Bad Company 2 already do the whole destructible environments? In fact they did. So you're saying this game has 0 innovation and isn't polished at all?

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Papa don't breach, LOL... You cracked me up with this one :)

Oh, well. I guess we'll always have Homefront.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Didn't Bad Company and Bad Company 2 already do the whole destructible environments? In fact they did. So you're saying this game has 0 innovation and isn't polished at all?
And Bad Company did it really well...I don't get why everyone is so thrilled about their new system...it's a breach of a game*.

[small]* I suck at puns. Shutting up.[/small]

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I think it'll be a good game. I'll try it at least, cause its not the same crap we've been force-fed since last year. Sure people complain "Oh it has the same load-out stuff like COD or the destructable enviroments like Bad Company". But ya gotta think, isn't that becoming the Military FPS standard at this point? Heck, COD is copying ITSELF by using the same format every game (A format that seems to work and sell the game well). I basically just think that people should give it a chance, cause basing a review or comparing against the other 'Top selling' Military FPS games is kinda biased. Maybe it's like counterstrike, some people will enjoy it simply because it's not one of those top sellers and others will go back to playing COD.

Edit: Plus it might be a good game that reviewers have a stick up their butt about. Kinda like how Black Ops had pretty much 99% bad reviews at first, and yet a large portion of gamers still bought and still enjoyed it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Those animations were downright embarrassing.
SteewpidZombie said:
I think it'll be a good game. I'll try it at least, cause its not the same crap we've been force-fed since last year. Sure people complain "Oh it has the same load-out stuff like COD or the destructable enviroments like Bad Company". But ya gotta think, isn't that becoming the Military FPS standard at this point? Heck, COD is copying ITSELF by using the same format every game (A format that seems to work and sell the game well). I basically just think that people should give it a chance, cause basing a review or comparing against the other 'Top selling' Military FPS games is kinda biased. Maybe it's like counterstrike, some people will enjoy it simply because it's not one of those top sellers and others will go back to playing COD.

Edit: Plus it might be a good game that reviewers have a stick up their butt about. Kinda like how Black Ops had pretty much 99% bad reviews at first, and yet a large portion of gamers still bought and still enjoyed it.
Are you kidding? Black Ops has an average in the high 80s for all systems on Meta-critic. Reviewers loved it. If anything, gamers were far more critical than reviewers.

There are only three mixed scores, the lowest of which is 70. 70!

For user reviews, there's more than half as many negative reviews as positive. People gave it zeros!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SteewpidZombie said:

No, it's just not that great, when compared to other shooters and on its own merits. If you want to try it out for yourself then go ahead, but I was really under impressed with what I saw when we did the video capture. During the video, he unloads on that guy in the back with a shotgun and the game only finally registers the last hit, such a fundamental mechanic needs to be at 100%.

And also your argument is that it isn't the same crap we've been force-fed since last year, but that it has to include all the same elements that have become a standard in this genre? Those two statements are conflicting with each other.