Review: Breach

Testsubject909

Jan 18, 2010
I wonder if one should consider the state of the studio that has dished out this game.

That is. Loss of financial backing as well as loss of manpower, thus making the task of creating a refined videogame all the more difficult.

Think of it like this. What would happen of Breach could come out backed under a large company's name, coming out as a large name title as opposed to a smaller named game which one could now mark off as a sort of indie game (and by indie standard, it's pretty damn huge... Plus, they technically do count as indie, since they're a newly founded company with no clear backing, thus independent.)

Think. If this game had one more year of work on it, a full campaign and a team about two to ten times larger then they are right now rather then then salvaging material from a previously made game that's a few years old to begin with.

How polished would the game be? Also, consider the time when this game was meant to come out. At the time, this would've been quite gripping to many.

But, I doubt many would take that under consideration. Does it alter the facts of what Breach presents today? no, not really. But it adds context.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Huh...that's funny. I swear I could do just about all the same demolition things in BFBD 2.

Blowing up walls to kill enemies on the other side. Check.
Collapsing buildings on top of your enemies. Check.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I dunno, I tried the demo and it looked good. It got pulled out from Brazilian Live the very next day though. MICROSOOOOOOOOOFT

The shotgun's pretty crappy though, mostly because most of the action in the game happens at mid distance and further. Not sure if that's the hitbox error complaint, but I'm willing to trust the opinion of a guy who does it for a living, and also presumably played for longer than the half hour I was alloted.

Captcha: stionsfu RIPOR. I don't even

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
So breach, the only redeeming thing about it is that it can have destructive environments. What a shocker!

Its not like the red faction series has done these or bad company, how original.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
From the trailers I've watched and the information I've learnt about Atomic Games, I think that Breach was a poor attempt by the studio to recoup some of the losses they incurred. The mechanics of the game (taking cover, destructible scenery) sound like they were developed for a game that strived for 'realism', rather than the run-and-gun gameplay that dominates today's FPS market. Combined with the lack of resources, we get a poorly polished Bad Company clone.

It's a shame too, I was looking forward to something like Six Days in Fallujah.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think 'Red Faction 1/2/3' all did the whole 'blow the environments to hell' better than any other series I can think of, when it comes to shooters.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Testsubject909 said:
I wonder if one should consider the state of the studio that has dished out this game.

That is. Loss of financial backing as well as loss of manpower, thus making the task of creating a refined videogame all the more difficult.

Think of it like this. What would happen of Breach could come out backed under a large company's name, coming out as a large name title as opposed to a smaller named game which one could now mark off as a sort of indie game (and by indie standard, it's pretty damn huge... Plus, they technically do count as indie, since they're a newly founded company with no clear backing, thus independent.)

Think. If this game had one more year of work on it, a full campaign and a team about two to ten times larger then they are right now rather then then salvaging material from a previously made game that's a few years old to begin with.

How polished would the game be? Also, consider the time when this game was meant to come out. At the time, this would've been quite gripping to many.

But, I doubt many would take that under consideration. Does it alter the facts of what Breach presents today? no, not really. But it adds context.
Excellent point. I might buy this game just to help them out. Also because I like the Heckler & Koch USP .45, and that is in this game.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
So...Basically it's a less polished version of Bad Company 2, with worse hit detection problems than Bad Company 2 has.

I'll stick to Bad Company 2.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
That's the engine they were going to try and re-create the Battle of Fallujah with? Maybe it's for the best that it didn't get made.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I already made the mistake of buying another indie mulitplayer-only FPS, Blacklight, so I wont be doing it again with this one, especially after reviews like this. The price may be low and good for what you get, but ultimately, no matter how cheap, it feels pointless and wasteful. Why bother playing YET ANOTHER generic shooter? There are too many of them these days and none of them really stand apart from eachother. I don't understand why an emerging indie dev would waste their time trying to breach the already bloated samey military FPS market (lord forgive me for that pun). It seems like a poor way to get noticed, unless they do something breathtakingly different, which is rather difficult to do in that genre.

The other thing is, with multiplayer-only games such as this, being able to enjoy them is HIGHLY dependent on there being a good and active community behind them. With even AAA titles these days seeing multiplayer ghost towns within a month or two of release, I don't have much confidence in these smaller titles. It's kind of a catch 22 of course. In order for such a community to develop, you need a lot of people to go out and start playing the game before a community exists, and then keep playing the game so the community can grow. Most people don't have the dedication to do this unless the game is really THAT amazing, which happens once in a blue moon.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
practice what you breach
bow chicka...wait nvm

so...yeah. seeing the video title before clicking I was thinking Halo BREACH aha jk and then I saw the end of it. very punny

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Drof said:
Ah well there goes the Third from last Multilayer FPS To get excited about.. Only to be kicked in the face at last minute.

Now all i Have to do is wait for Homefront to come out and be a Battlefield Knock-off [not saying that it is] And Brink to come out and... be.. somehow rubbish?
Maybe Even The Almighty Bethesda aren't out of the reach of the collision detection faeries and the Lag Gremlins.

i have the same expectations. :p brink i think is eighter going to be fantastic or it's going to suck.. let's hope for it to be fantastic. : D also monday night combat just came out on steam, so i got some fps to play for a while. : D

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I don't get what the big deal is.... Breach is essentially a $10 public "tech demo". And judging from the review video as well as gameplay videos from shows and such.....it looks like REALLY good tech!

If this WAS six days with Fallujah, with that controversial story and experience, I (and i suspect many others) would get this game in a heartbeat, hit detection flaws notwithstanding. But just MP, I'm not interested, but it's good to know that with a little tweaking, atomic would have a first class engine

.....albeit for a genre that people can't STAND anymore :S.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Telperion said:
Huh...that's funny. I swear I could do just about all the same demolition things in BFBD 2.

Wow, okay, seriously? I'm pretty sick of hearing this. Did nobody see Russ's preview of Breach? I'm not going to say it's a good game, but the level of destruction is far beyond BC2's shallow capabilities. In BC, the same walls come off the same way, every time; the houses (but only certain ones) collapse the same way, every time; the fences are the only things which respond dynamically. In Breach, you can shoot individual bricks out of walls; they have a structure on a cliff side with wooden supports, and if you take out the supports, the whole thing falls down. Seriously, if BC2 could support Breach's destruction while maintaining their graphical standard and huge levels, the game would have been a technological marvel (although Mortar spam would be even more overpowered).

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Mysnomer said:
Wow, okay, seriously? I'm pretty sick of hearing this. Did nobody see Russ's preview of Breach?
Breach doesn't look that amazing, it doesn't play that amazing. I don't see what's so amazing about it.

KarlixLV

Apr 29, 2010
Telperion said:

Well the difference is that BC2's demolition is still pretty much scripted, whereas here it was supposed to be more realistic - shoot out brick by brick, plank by plank as opposed to BC2's buildings that pretty much just has a certain hitpoint limit before they collapse. But yeah, the overall look of Breach still seems to be pretty grim... :( Shame, I was hoping for the first FPS to do the destruction right.

Edit: Ninjad again ^^

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
While I have no real interest in this game, I find it amusing that pretty much all your complaints can be summed as as "Hey, ever played a shooter on Xbox Live in Australia? Yeah, that."