Review: Brutal Legend

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Trifixion said:
Definitely getting this one today. As a long-time Schafer fan and a devoted (some might say rabid) metalhead for the past three decades, it looks like a near-perfect fit for my tastes (or lack thereof).

Now of course comes the obvious question...given that:

1.) He enjoyed Psychonauts
2.) His column's "theme song" would seem to indicate he does not loathe heavy metal
3.) The game is apparently already available in Australia

...what will Yahtzee have to say about it?
I believe Yahtzee will, in actual fact, attempt to have (painful) sex with the game. And then be given a court order of some sort.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Russ Pitts said:
Brutal Legend is f*&#ing metal. (That's a good thing.)
Is that why the Escapist's date is now "Rocktober"? :)

I see what you did there.
Oh sweet tap-dancing jesus, I hadn't noticed. BUT ITS AWESOME!

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Any idea how long it's to last? This game looks amazing but I don't want another six hour game that lasts me two days. Although it does have collectables and multiplayer.

Ahhhhhhhh screw it, I'm buying it. I'll probably play through it multiple times anyway.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Any idea how long it's to last? This game looks amazing but I don't want another six hour game that lasts me two days. Although it does have collectables and multiplayer.

Ahhhhhhhh screw it, I'm buying it. I'll probably play through it multiple times anyway.
Well, the map looked fairly big...

I guess it depends if you go straight through the game, or explore the world any.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Wow, good thing I've already preordered this game. Got to hurry and get Platinum in Uncharted 2 before it arrives. Metal world will have me spend there more time, than in any other open world game)

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Ah well, guess I've got nothing to do than wait for the EU shipping date to come and go.
Also I've just noticed all the Rocktober dates. Clever.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Dear God, for this gift from above I thank you. I was so afraid this'd turn out like Psychonauts, a great game that didn't get noticed much, or that it'd turn out to be not as good as I'd thought, but I am so pleased to learn it turned out great. I'm renting this game as soon as humanly possible. And I'm not really even a metal fan!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Why do you taunt me?! I need it now, NOW I SAY! Here's to hoping it arrives earlier than the 16th release date. Also, I'm so trying to play this with a guitar controller, which why it'd be cool for it to come out on the PC, because you could use xpadder to play it with a guitar.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This review re-enforces my desire to buy this game. I have to wait 2 more weeks before I can do it though. Damn bills had to be paid first.... I hate being responsible sometimes...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Russ Pitts said:
Brutal Legend is f*&#ing metal. (That's a good thing.)
Is that why the Escapist's date is now "Rocktober"? :)

I see what you did there.
He missed one, you know. Look at the News tab.

EDIT: Never mind. It's changed now.

OT: This sucks, man. All that metal awesomeness, yet I don't have a system to play it on. I don't have the cash to get the system, either.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
Awesome, so f'n awesome. Getting it tonight, and I can't wait. Nice review, love the vo at the end. XD

One critic comment on the review...do you folks ever touch on sound design? I understand with this game in particular one would be more likely to be caught up in the music (which I'm always happy to hear about as well) and enjoying the good vocals (for once). But most reviews here never bother mentioning the finer details of games like sfx, level design and other artsy things.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I can see how this can be very cool if someone would like to see fit Jack Black XD A lots of stuff here, and so I'd like to know Yathzee's point of view about this. The game sounds interesting enough :)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
BaldursBananaSoap said:

At the time of writing I had played for 9 hours and was just over 50% complete. I dilly dally a lot though, so the game's story is probably about 12-15 hours long. I will most likely get 20+ hours out of it. Not bad.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:

At the time of writing I had played for 9 hours and was just over 50% complete. I dilly dally a lot though, so the game's story is probably about 12-15 hours long. I will most likely get 20+ hours out of it. Not bad.
Kinda like Fallout 3 then. My friend was done in a day or so he just ran from point A to point B. I used like 2 weeks I think, exploring, finding awesome loot and quests. For me it was point A interchange with point X then to point Q and so on.

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
I know its nothing like it (or maybe it is?) but this game just reminds me of Overlord... Maybe its just the over the top characters.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
At first I was skeptical, now I am sure, I will be playing this game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The demo is great and the multiplayer looks like a lot of fun.
I'm sold, but I'm still renting first.
Just in case.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Even though this game looks awesome, my dollars this week have to be thrown at Uncharted. I love me some Tim Schafer but I know I am going to enjoy Uncharted more.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
I can see why "über-underground" metalheads are against this, but there's a reason they have no friends.

This looks like a ton of stupid fun that a metalhead like myself can easily enjoy. Plus any game with Dark Tranquillity's "Cathode Ray Sunshine" is destined for epic.