Review: Brutal Legend

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
It has MIRRORTHRONE in it's soundtrack.I was sceptical at first as to whether or not the game would actually be aimed at genuine metalheads or if it had any variety within Metal for soundtrack..but that all went away when I read that MIRRORTHRONE are in it's soundtrack.

Gameplay looks fun too..

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
(my last EDIT)
Have it pre-ordered, just waiting to get out of class >.<

And its out today (at least in America...).

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
therandombear said:
Russ Pitts said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Any idea how long it's to last? This game looks amazing but I don't want another six hour game that lasts me two days. Although it does have collectables and multiplayer.

Ahhhhhhhh screw it, I'm buying it. I'll probably play through it multiple times anyway.
At the time of writing I had played for 9 hours and was just over 50% complete. I dilly dally a lot though, so the game's story is probably about 12-15 hours long. I will most likely get 20+ hours out of it. Not bad.
Kinda like Fallout 3 then. My friend was done in a day or so he just ran from point A to point B. I used like 2 weeks I think, exploring, finding awesome loot and quests. For me it was point A interchange with point X then to point Q and so on.
Whaaaa....

I've been playing Fallout 3 for about5-10 hours a week for over six months now and haven't even come close to finishing (I haven't even gotten to Rivet City yet, although that's next on the agenda). In all fairness I have all five expansions, too (done Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta so far). Fallout 3 is my biggest time sink outside of MMOs right now...

As for Brutal Legend, I feel like the guy with the wicked cheese-grater shiner:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20091005

as I have no idea where this game popped up or why I should care. But I loathe heavy metal for the most part...

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Doug said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Russ Pitts said:
Brutal Legend is f*&#ing metal. (That's a good thing.)
Is that why the Escapist's date is now "Rocktober"? :)

I see what you did there.
Oh sweet tap-dancing jesus, I hadn't noticed. BUT ITS AWESOME!
Same, but I like it. Fuck that, I love it! Can we make this permanent? :p

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Seems now like I'm getting the game.

Oh, and I loved the bit at the end. You should be a heavy metal singer.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Hmm, I'm still not totally convinced. Every review seems to mention how awesome the style and the metal stuff is (which I can't deny, after seeing every bit of info I can find about Brutal Legend), but the gameplay itself looks shallow, both the combat and the rts-part. And the demo doesn't help either, since you can't judge a game's gameplay on the first 5 minutes. So the question is: is the gameplay shallow but is it irrelevant because of the awesomeness of everything else, or isn't it that shallow as it looks?

Now listening to Breadfan by the way. Great song, don't have a clue how I missed that one.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'm not into metal, but considering what happened to Psychonauts, I might get it to support creative game designers (plus it might be fun).

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
oppp7 said:
I'm not into metal, but considering what happened to Psychonauts, I might get it to support creative game designers (plus it might be fun).
this, and even if the gameplay is shallow, the storytelling will be rich and incredibly enjoyable. i'm getting a 360 only so that I can play this game

also MEHTAAAALLLLL EEEYAAAAEEEEYAAAEEEYEEAAAAH

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
There is something very special about working for an Editor in Chief who screams "METALLLLLLLLLLL!" in a review. Yes.

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
Great Review. Not too interested in this myself but some of my metal friends must be messing themselves and missing class as I speak. They've waited a LONG time for this.
^_^ And Ozzy would be a PvP Title.
Gotta love a FRBR game (for rockers by rockers).

thevegetarianzombie

Dec 11, 2008
I made sure that it was the first and ONLY game available in my gamefly queue, and it was mailed this morning. I should have it in my position on the same day as my last midterm. Win.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
PlasticTree said:
Hmm, I'm still not totally convinced. Every review seems to mention how awesome the style and the metal stuff is (which I can't deny, after seeing every bit of info I can find about Brutal Legend), but the gameplay itself looks shallow, both the combat and the rts-part. And the demo doesn't help either, since you can't judge a game's gameplay on the first 5 minutes. So the question is: is the gameplay shallow but is it irrelevant because of the awesomeness of everything else, or isn't it that shallow as it looks?

Now listening to Breadfan by the way. Great song, don't have a clue how I missed that one.
From what I saw while putting the review video together, it's no more shallow then swinging a sword was in Zelda. Sure, you have hit buttons to see your character swing melee weapons X into bad guy Y, but it's the setting and environment are what are really make it a fun experience.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Review: Brutal Legend

Brutal Legend is f*&#ing metal. (That's a good thing.)

Read Full Article
I think I just wet myself a little.

Your review only JUST trumps this kid, though. I have no idea who of you to listen to!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqCWSeUBws if the thing won't load.