Review: Brutal Legend

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Ice Storm said:
Such hype for such a lame game. Everyone and their child wants it because it has Jack Black who all he does is act randomly and somehow becomes a god.
I would guess that 99% of the people here we sold on metal-themed world and Tim Schafer long before Jack Black was attached to the project. If you can't see that there is more to it than Jack Black, that's your loss.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Ah geez the map looks just like "Serpents Passage" in Warhammer Online... ahem *Serpents Passage* which looks just like a woman's spread eagle pelvis... get it?

One more reason I'm leery about this one.

The game in general looks like an MMORPG without the MMO, which makes me wince, but if the RTS-lite elements in multiplayer are good I still might go for it. Guess I'll wait for some YouTube gameplay vids.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I picked the game up today, and I can verify that it is indeed awesome. The environments actually look quite a bit nicer than what was shown in the review video, from what I've seen thus far. I'm kind of surprised that the reviewer neglected to mention that you can fully customize the playlist when you're running people down in the Deuce. So anyone who is enamored with Tim Schafer/Double Fine/Jack Black/Funny games that play well can turn off some of the more annoying songs, or even all of them, if they see fit.

This-is-Hip-Hop said:
Regardless of my predispotion towards metal, this will still make it onto my game shelf. Fore the sole reason of a guitar riff bringing lightning down to the earth. It really makes me wonder how this was not already done before.
Not to turn you off the game, which you should totally get (Melting faces never gets old) but a lightning guitar has been done before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oskw8aGIFk0

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
Nerdfury said:
EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqCWSeUBws if the thing won't load.
Youtube embedding follows the format "< youtube=StringOfCharacters>" and doesn't require termination.

OT:
I wasn't quite sold on it until I saw the game in action. Yeah, it's basically a Zelda game. A multi-platform Zelda game with laser panthers and an awesome soundtrack. Laser Panthers! Meeeettaaaaaalll!
Thankyou, Captain! You're such a nice fellow!

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
Love your metal avatar!

Would it be a spoiler if I were to divulge whether or not there are creatures in this game that shoot lasers from their eyes?
Thanks man! For the price of a few seconds with a camera, then a few seconds with Photoshop/Gimp/etc you too can have one!

Kinda would, but I'd wager a guess to the positive either way. It -is- a Metal game after all.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I picked it up today and i've been playing it. I got to admit, at first I thought it SUCKED SUCKED HARD. The combat was choppy, eddy always seemed to fucking BOB even when standing still, the control felt wonky. The initial level, the startup, is shit. Unimpressive. You gotta play in an hour or two, then the combat suddenly Gel's, you realize how to do the things the game doesn't explain (Hint: Relic Raise everything with roses, hold X (or whatever your guitar button is) to free the bound dragon statues, and click the left stick to run.

After you get the Mouth of Metal and your first few upgrades and really get into the open world, the game just opens up to you. It get's addictive. Just one more mission, some bitchen tunes... oh, and the acting? The acting is awesome. And the writing is awesome. Seriously, seriously awesome.
Exactly what you expect to happen is what happens. What the game does there took BALLS.

Just give it an hour before you decied you hate it, I swear.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I would have bought it anyway so I just read the review for giggles.

I hope that the game includes "Ram It Down".

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I know I tend to go on for pages at a time normally so, I'll just say.

Hey, someone bothered to make a game that looks FUN above all else, I hope it does real well!

feversk

Jul 20, 2009
Wow, I just found out it was designed by Tim Schafer. THE Tim Schafer! Now I can't wait...

Wait, no PC version? FFFFFFUUUUUU-

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I got it in the mail today, and I have to say....

HELLLLLLLL YEAH!

Think a mix of GTA's open world with a handful of RTS and RPG elements. AND TIM-FUCKING-SCHAFER! Its theme world from the grin-on-the-face opening to the game itself.

Remember... ROCK ON! :)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
mad-brad-123 said:
this game is awsome i played the demo on brutal about 30 times
And the demo is pretty poor at showing the greatness of the game!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
(Hint: Relic Raise everything with roses, hold X (or whatever your guitar button is) to free the bound dragon statues, and click the left stick to run.
The manual tells you how to do all that stuff.