Review: Brutal Legend

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
asunder 82 said:
Erm, Hi there. New round these parts. First off, Mr. Editor In Chief, have you ever been told that you sound a lot like Agent Smith? Quite disconcerting that.
You're a virus, FYI. ;)

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I really really wish this was coming out on PC... the game sounds awesome, but not sufficiently so to make me buy a console. :(

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Russ Pitts said:
Recommendation: Buy this game. Go to the game store right now and buy it. Then kick over the cash register and smash your plastic guitar in the name of metal.
I'll probably do that anyway, if only because I want to support Double Fine. Those guys are awesome.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
BRÜTAL LEGEND. Ü. What the fuck. German umlauts? You don't even have German umlauts on your keyboard. I guess, just like Germans think, using english is somewhat cool, so do English people about using German.
Ä, Ö, Ü.........ha, I can do umlauts! (wow, I'm really sorry for that)

Anyways-
Jack Black and Ozzy Osbourne? Wow. What a game. o.o
Usually I like metal, but I'm not *that* big of a fan. Hm. Maybe I'll give the game a try.

Aaaahh, pronouncing "Brütal Legend" like you would pronounce the German umlaut ü sounds so silly. xD

I liked the whole "Rocktober" thing though. Thank you, Escapist.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Well, I've played the first few story missions and tooled around in the Deuce for awhile. I like it quite well, but I am a little dissapointed so far.

As I expected, the characters, world, and story are awesome. Great, funny writing, voice acting, and animation make the cut scenes a true pleasure to watch. A metalhead couldn't be more pleased.

The gameplay, on the other hand - it's not really bad or anything, just not really my cup of tea, so to speak. I never play RTS games, and so I don't really like that aspect of BL so much. If I recall correctly, when Brutal Legend was first revealed in Game Informer a good while ago, it was described as a straight-up 3rd-person action game. That's the game I wish I was playing.

Oh well. It's not bad by any means. It's quite fun just exploring, finding bound serpents and legendary artifacts (I absolutely love the myths and legends with the black and white illustrations). Maybe after awhile, I'll get more used to the RTS controls and start to enjoy it more.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
Megacherv said:
The only thing that's annoying me is the first proper 'show' against the Drowning Doom. The enemy leader (whom shall not be named for risk of spoilers) is so impossible to remove from the battlefield, and their forces take so many hits to kill it's truly annoying. If anyone has any tips (and not switching to 'Gentle' mode, that's not the point) I'd gladly accept them.

On the plus side, I got this yesterday, which was 2 days before the UK release (wooh for pre-ordering!)
Yeah the Goth Kids are really tough. Especially on the Brutal difficulty.

The only advice i can give is to make sure to take all the fan booths and try your best to vary your army with a balance of anti-vehicle, anti-infantry, and buffers.

Use the Amazons on the Fire beasts to kill hordes of regular infantry.

Use the bouncers to destroy the enemy vehicles.

The Pyro Bikers are also good against infantry.

The Killmaster bikers stun enemies and heal ur units so make sure you have few of those in each group.

Use the the Hot ROds with the turrets to tear down enemy fan booths.

When you have a lot of infantry around it helps to do your facemelter solo on your guitar.

Try to do as many double teams as possible.

Always try to remove the enemy leader first, THis prevents the enemy from taking undeveloped fan guysers and also keeps them from doing double teams on you(especially that nasty bride double team)

It took me a couple of redo's on Brutal but if I can do it anyone can.

Krunkcity3000

Mar 12, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Does anyone know how to unchain those statues? Not the dragons with the ball gags, the other ones?

Oh and I beat the game and it does feel short, but because I didn't want it to end. They could've totally dragged it out by having you
Go back and reclaim your land from Tainted Coil
You open those statues by doing the earthshaterer or whatever it's called. I think its A and X at the same time.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Krunkcity3000 said:
Megacherv said:
The only thing that's annoying me is the first proper 'show' against the Drowning Doom. The enemy leader (whom shall not be named for risk of spoilers) is so impossible to remove from the battlefield, and their forces take so many hits to kill it's truly annoying. If anyone has any tips (and not switching to 'Gentle' mode, that's not the point) I'd gladly accept them.

On the plus side, I got this yesterday, which was 2 days before the UK release (wooh for pre-ordering!)
Yeah the Goth Kids are really tough. Especially on the Brutal difficulty.

The only advice i can give is to make sure to take all the fan booths and try your best to vary your army with a balance of anti-vehicle, anti-infantry, and buffers.

Use the Amazons on the Fire beasts to kill hordes of regular infantry.

Use the bouncers to destroy the enemy vehicles.

The Pyro Bikers are also good against infantry.

The Killmaster bikers stun enemies and heal ur units so make sure you have few of those in each group.

Use the the Hot ROds with the turrets to tear down enemy fan booths.

When you have a lot of infantry around it helps to do your facemelter solo on your guitar.

Try to do as many double teams as possible.

Always try to remove the enemy leader first, THis prevents the enemy from taking undeveloped fan guysers and also keeps them from doing double teams on you(especially that nasty bride double team)

It took me a couple of redo's on Brutal but if I can do it anyone can.
It's fine now, completed the campaign yesterday (the day that it came out)

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I've looked at this game, and really really love the concept.

Darn shame it's not coming out for PC.

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
this game was such a blast. i rented it and finished it in 3 sessions, now i try to get as close to 100% as possible. the game has it´s flaws, it seems to be a little buggy here and there(got stuck in walls, in battles the flag magic wouldnt work and my units would often simply not go to the flag, sometimes you have to be incredibly precise if you want to collect those spark-plug jump thingys, sometimes not), far too less combos and (useful!)stuff to buy for you if you compare to similar games. but oh, the game world! i had my fare share of metal in the past but was never a fan or something. the game got me hooked on some bands i only knew the names of. overall, everything besides the actual gameplay gets an a+. this is also one of the most impressive game worlds visually i ever got to play through, there´s so much awesome stuff with insane scale. sometimes it even reminded me of shadow of the colossus, but not that poetic more comical and, eh, brutal. but still incredibly beautiful. i will never forget freelancing to the wall of screams before i actually would have to go there and i´d never would have thought of something awesome like a giant wall of speakerboxes. as you can see, i´m unconditionally in love with this game. i will definetly buy when i have the money(and the price dropped once).

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
This could be the first game EVER where I don't have to mute the music and put my own on in the background.

I looked at the artists involved. We have MANOWAR in there! And 3 Inches of Blood! Fuck yes!

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
I'm only a few hours in, but this is already a great game. The intro, though unskippable, was fun to watch (and play). I really appreciated the way it slowly introduced new concepts without forcing you through a step-by-step tutorial.

Even if this isn't an 80 hour game, it promises to be 20 hours of great fun. The Deuce is a pleasure to drive (rare for any vehicle in a video game) and Eddie's attacks are gratuitously satisfying.

Rock on!

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
I'm lovin the game so far. I am concerned about the RTS elements, I've only had the first battle, and it seemed to be a bit of a cluster fuck... I had no idea what was going on.

I'm reserving my complete judgement until I've played further through.

MusicListeningGuy

Aug 31, 2009
Bought this...beat it...play it often while online because the tracks are awesome...11/10.... just that metal. Everything from tracks from Tenacious D to Dethklok, this game screams METAL! Even my friend was surprised... was funny coming from him.

Majere613

Sep 17, 2008
I must admit I don't really get the complaints about the 'RTS' sections. To me, they play more like something like Dynasty Warriors than a full-blown RTS, and it's more about picking where and how to commit your Avatar and when to double-team than it is about any high-faluting tactical plan. Of course if you try to play it as a pure RTS you'll lose, because you'll be keeping one of your most important weapons out of the fight. It feels like one person trying to lead an army by shouting and waving their arms about- which is exactly what's happening, after all :)

Of course, in multiplayer you could play it 'pure' RTS if both players agreed not to use their Avatar in combat, and there's a trophy in it IIRC.

One more thing I must mention- the cleverest trophy I've ever seen. "Six Degrees of Shafer". You get it by playing multiplayer with or against someone who already has it. Think about it :)