Review: Bulletstorm

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Great game, made in Poland!
It kinda reminds me of Total Overdose - i loved that game and it's, well, skillshots, because it's essentially the same system.

Direbaka

Jul 10, 2010
Excellent review. I don't know if I'm going to be a big fan of the game, but the review was fun to watch.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
So basically dumb, very dumb game where you just kill stuff in the most horrible ways?

Sounds like Prototype + Borderlands. I like it. Too bad I pre-purchased Crysis 2 already... Hey, there's always summer, right?

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah I figured the story would be absolute tripe, but I don't care in this case. I want to leash guys into the air and shoot a flare in their ass.

Good review Russ

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
It seems better than I expected. Well, crappy story was expected, but the gameplay looks even better than I thought... I think once I have my gaming rig I'm gonna have to celebrate with this game...

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Damn I want to launch dudes into the air, attach grenades to them and then drill a hole in their crotches with that drill-gun. I lament my near-empty bank account :(

EDIT: Anyone buying this for PC (hard copy or Steam) let me know how Games for Windows Live is worked into this. I'd like to know whether it cripples certain modes one way or another.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
DUmb question but what's the song at the end?

Good review btw. Picking this up later
Boom-POD

Oddly enough, they are a christian rock band..... hehehehe oh the irony.

I know what I'm doing today!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh my!.

I actually enjoyed the video review and your "Top 10 kills" and that was just the right amount of "review" I wanted to decide if this game is for me or not. And yes, this game is for me indeed. Dicktits.

It's a shame that EA took up Activision's iniciative of charging full price for the PC version ($60).
I'll wait until it gets discounted, as I'm quite short of funds right now.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Tsaba said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:

Boom-POD

iron is pretty amazing, is it not :3

Siuki

Nov 18, 2009
This game, although seemingly bland and marketed to the college frat boy demographic, looks very fun to play and looks like the devs really put some effort into this game. Still saving my money for Brink and Portal 2 though. And Minecraft. Can't forget Minecraft.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Basically a plain dumb game...

*runs to store to buy this game*

WHAT!? There a rule that games have to be classy to be good?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i likely wont get it since it requires GFWL, but in case this is one of those titles that only requires GFWL for MP which i never really play, how long is the single player campaign?

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I find the use of P.O.D's "Boom" to be both apropriate and highly ironic.

Christian Rock used to accentuate sensless violence for the sake of amusement and excessive profanity?

I award you One Million-Billion-Billion Points.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
"Except now theyre dead - WHOOPS!"

I dunno if i will enjoy this, i really didn tliek the demo. I may of had too much high hopes and expectations?

ZeroHero3D

Jun 11, 2010
Dick-Tits? Lol funny shit

As expected, this game looks like nothing more than mindless gory killing with no real purpose other than pure entertainment.

And thats just about what I expect to see from Epic. Good work boys!

Now, come out with GEARS 3 ALREADY!!!!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Loved the video supplement. Can't wait to get it, it isn't out here yet. I have to wait until Friday. It seems to be shaping into a love-hate type game, some people played the demo and adored it (like me) and others simply don't see what's meant to be so good.
I for one can't wait to have senseless fun kicking people in the head. After wrapping them in bombs. After shooting them in the balls. Before kicking them off a cliff.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Great review man, for both the written text and the video. Although I disagree with your number one skill kill, (I just love saying that) it was a pretty good top ten.

The ending with BOOM! was kickass as well. Love that song.

I wonder what Yahtzee will say in his review for this. If he liked Painkiller, then he might give this one a chance.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
You guys just had this ready to go didn't you? I'm sure there's a way to dig into the game files and rename that into movie so the game can't find it, like I do with those dicktit unskippable nvidia things.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
So, It's a FPS without cover based game play, Russians and American GIs?

WANT!

bricklayerofd00m

May 17, 2010
This isn't generating all the buzz it seemed would. I'm getting it, many reviews are praising it for innovating on the FPS, not to mention I'm completely tired of CoD and its followers' make-you-feel-like-a-soldier crap.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
This game does look like fun, but does ayone else feel that Epic want's the PC version to fail so they can abandon that platform completely? Why else would it use GFWL? I've been noticing a pattern here with GoW 1 and UT3.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
how is this a buy title? I mean sure it's fun but rent it for a free weekend and you're gonna finisht he whole thing, it's worth a few replays but why bother. The fun shooter of the year is gonna be Duke nukem forever with allegedly longer SP, historical value and MP. I would've conisdered buying if it had the advertised co-op but, oh well.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Definitely going to pick this up, but I'm not sure which platform to choose.

Oh well, I WILL KILL YOUR DICK.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Certainly sounds better than the demo made it seem...

I might pick this up after all.

After Pokemon. After Dragon Age 2. And even after Two Worlds 2.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Russ Pitts said:

Epic's latest redefines the word "fun."

Read Full Article
"He's like a little dude squish sandwich."

I haven't laughed so hard at a review outside of ZP in... well, ever.

Glad to hear that Bulletstorm is good. I liked Painkiller with the exception of the dopey story they tried to foist on you, so if this is 'Painkiller - plot' that is a winner in my book.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
After seeing this review I totally want to go out and rape someone!

(note: I do not really want to rape anyone)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
if anyone says that the point of videogames is not to be fun they should be strapped down and forced to watch this game, the DMC series, and the Contra series over and over again until they get that pretense out of their heads.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
What exactly do you mean by "fun". Were all those serious shooters like Modern Warfare 2 not fun. You gave them high scores so you must have thought so. A game can be fun and serious. Just take a look at the first Half-Life or Bioshock. They were fun and they had more to them than a shouty man with sideburns kicking people.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
edit: ^ he mad, bro

my copy is coming in the mail, and while I'm excited about playing it, I don't know for how long I'll keep it (no co-op...)

funny how the issues with the story in this review versus the gameplay is pretty much exactly one of the few complaints Yahtzee had in his Painkiller review...guess PCF are consistent :p still good tho?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Sounds pretty much like I was expecting.

Also... I visualised just what 'dicktits' might be...

That is one image I could really do without, but I've got it stuck in my head now...

@[email protected]

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Russ Pitts said:

Read Full Article
isn't thestory perpetually sloppy?
I thought that was the point in this game

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
run_forrest_run said:
What exactly do you mean by "fun". Were all those serious shooters like Modern Warfare 2 not fun. You gave them high scores so you must have thought so. A game can be fun and serious. Just take a look at the first Half-Life or Bioshock. They were fun and they had more to them than a shouty man with sideburns kicking people.
Methinks you might have missed the point. Nobody is saying that serious shooters can't be entertaining, but there is a very distinct difference in how a game like Bulletstorm defines "fun."

Serious shooters get their entertainment value from being realistic, tactical affairs (though I'll admit that most of the Call of Duty players I've encountered throw tactics out the window).

Non-serious shooters (Bullestorm and Serious Sam, for example) get their entertainment value from pure, cathartic mass-murder. The story is usually ridiculous, it doesn't bother with the potential moral implications of your actions and it doesn't often present itself as "intelligent." That's not to say that the gameplay can't be extremely smart, as Unreal Tournament would gladly prove otherwise.

We have seen an onslaught of "serious" shooters over the last 5-6 years, and while they can be perfectly great games (I love you Half-Life 2), the glory of the "wacky" shooter has fallen by the wayside. This year is definitely heralding their return (Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam 3? Holy shit), and I couldn't be happier. These games remind us that a game doesn't have to have a complex story and tactical gameplay to be entertaining: sometimes all you need is to kill everything that moves.

...this post turned out a lot longer than I expected.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Unfortunately, due to the internet, Bulletstorm is not the first time I've seen a mixture of Dicks and Tits. I repeat, seen, not heard.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
Not necessarily true on the bottom line, sadly because all anybody own on my street is rockband and Call of Duty Black ops... I'm already pretty alone.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
run_forrest_run said:
Methinks you might have missed the point. Nobody is saying that serious shooters can't be entertaining, but there is a very distinct difference in how a game like Bulletstorm defines "fun."

Serious shooters get their entertainment value from being realistic, tactical affairs (though I'll admit that most of the Call of Duty players I've encountered throw tactics out the window).

Non-serious shooters (Bullestorm and Serious Sam, for example) get their entertainment value from pure, cathartic mass-murder. The story is usually ridiculous, it doesn't bother with the potential moral implications of your actions and it doesn't often present itself as "intelligent." That's not to say that the gameplay can't be extremely smart, as Unreal Tournament would gladly prove otherwise.

We have seen an onslaught of "serious" shooters over the last 5-6 years, and while they can be perfectly great games (I love you Half-Life 2), the glory of the "wacky" shooter has fallen by the wayside. This year is definitely heralding their return (Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam 3? Holy shit), and I couldn't be happier. These games remind us that a game doesn't have to have a complex story and tactical gameplay to be entertaining: sometimes all you need is to kill everything that moves.

...this post turned out a lot longer than I expected.
Personally, what I think is making Bulletstorm fun is the fact that it isn't taking itself seriously unlike CoD, Halo, Killzone, and Epic's own Gears series. These games are all very competent and technically good games. There's even fun gameplay in each of them. But these games are uber-macho power fantasies that consider fancy themselves as the greats of science fiction or war-time stories.

Bulletstorm, on the other hand, considers itself an uber-macho power fantasy with its tongue firmly in cheek. It reminds me of the works of Edgar Wright (specifically Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz). Both of those films involve seriously horrific situations, but they up the insanity and ridiculousness to the annals of parody. What they are, are simply Black Comedies. And that's precisely what Bulletstorm is. A loud obnoxious game with serious undertones making fun of loud obnoxious games who take themselves way too seriously

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, it does look fun but a really big turn off is that you get points for every Go damn thing you do. Which is kind of absurb considering they were laughing at a certain FPS that gives rank up every time you kill someone.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Looks like a game that will hold me for the 3-4 months before LA Noire and Duke Nukem Forever.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Judging by my not-so-hardcore gamer friends, this game is ridiculously appealing even to people that wouldn't touch hardcore console shooters with a rusty pipe over the internet.

They're female. And I'm an artsy snob. And we still all want this game.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
It sounds like a game I am definitely going to wait till that long-summer-lull rolls around to pick up.

I'll just pretend I'm watching an Arnold Movie, but instead of shouting at who'd I'd like him to shoot at, I'll pull the trigger myself.

I'm also really interested in finding out how linear the world is - what I mean is it more-or-less a corridor shooter like most of the CoDs or is it more of an open world experience (not a sandbox, but just sprawling levels)?

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
I love everything about this game and it is pre-ordered, but I get the feeling dick-tits is going to be the new cake joke.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
Actually, shitting dick tits have existed long before Bulletstorm came around.

no_RegretsYSL

Feb 22, 2011
Solid review I appreciate it. However, when you do another review, go ahead and don't start off by calling everyone interested in this game a lifeless slouch. Makes escapist look bad, and even more uninviting.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Mr. Pitts, you're having entirely too much fun. Probably not a popular man around the office just now. ;)

Moeez

May 28, 2009
jonyboy13 said:
Well, it does look fun but a really big turn off is that you get points for every Go damn thing you do. Which is kind of absurb considering they were laughing at a certain FPS that gives rank up every time you kill someone.
The game gives you less points for doing the same type of kills consecutively. If you're creative with each kills, the points get labelled with "NEW", and you have a higher point for it. Kinda like in PGR/Burnout with the driving tricks.

And you don't get ranked up.

bricklayerofd00m

May 17, 2010
jonyboy13 said:
They were making fun of the extra-serious, super-tough, man-up, military-styled attitude of that FPS, not of the ranking up.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I'm against tacked on MP and love me some singleplayer games, but this is a corridor shooter with some cool elements, it's fun but it's not worth full price in this day and age, same goes for enslaved.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Epic has never redefined the word fun.
And dick tits? That's nothing, try shitting dick nipple... Which is a real thing that I do not encourage you to google.

OT: Nice review. Was on the fence about this one, am now considering my financed to see if I can actually get it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Also; The game is Good! woot! My hopes are realised! There was always a chance they would not pull of the fu and just be obnoxious but it actually looks great.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Wow! generally i hate FPS's, i havent even played one on the current gen, but that looks awesome!

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
I admit I haven't played the full game yet (it doesn't come out over here until Friday) but from what I've seen of it the story doesn't look like something to be taken seriously. It comes across as a parody of modern FPSs. Granted it's not a good idea to start the story with a 5 minute cutsene but I reckon I could let that slip.
ALPHATT said:
how is this a buy title? I mean sure it's fun but rent it for a free weekend and you're gonna finisht he whole thing, it's worth a few replays but why bother.
It should be worth replaying a few times is you want to try and get all the Skillshots and multiplayer should considerably add to the re-playability if it has lasting appeal. That said not everyone's in to that sort of thing so to each his own I guess.
ALPHATT said:
The fun shooter of the year is gonna be Duke nukem forever with allegedly longer SP, historical value and MP.
You make a statement of certainty about a game that isn't even out yet. Just pointing that out. Again to each his own but I'm more interested in Bulletstorm than DNF. Not that it looks bad or anything but it just looks like a Current Gen Duke Nukem 3D which was admittedly better then your average FPS but not really a game changer at least by today's standards. It just doesn't look lke anything special while Bulletstorm looks like something more refreshing with creative weapons and a system which encourages killings your enemies a number of different ways.

In regard to the video it was a pretty good list but some of the kills seemed kinda out of place like Vertigo or Head Shot. Those are the sort of kills you get in just about every FPS and are pretty generic these days especially when compared to the kinds of things you can do in the Demo alone.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
They make games for the non-critical thinkers now?.. Explains why my close minded, idiot friend can't wait for it.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I'm definitely buying this game now. Most likely I'll get it for the 360, seeing as how people keep mentioning it needs GFWL, and I refuse to involve myself further with that program unless it'll get me a game for less than a dollar again.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Ick. Count me out.

Bet you weren't expecting THAT, were you, Escapist?
Will you be starting a thread titled "Am I the only one who doesn't want Bulletstorm?" soon? :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tautologico said:
lacktheknack said:
Ick. Count me out.

Will you be starting a thread titled "Am I the only one who doesn't want Bulletstorm?" soon? :)
No, I've already heard people say they don't want it.

What can I say? It's not my kind of game.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
lacktheknack said:
tautologico said:
lacktheknack said:
Ick. Count me out.

No, I've already heard people say they don't want it.

What can I say? It's not my kind of game.
Fair enough, I just found it a little funny you assumed you were the only one, then I remembered the infamous "Am I the only one" threads.

Nothing wrong in not liking this game or any other.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I'll admit it looks funner than I thought it'd be but for now KZ3 is satisfying my FPS needs. I'm going back to my 3PS roots and taking interest in Uncharted 3 and Socom

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I am SO fucking stoked to pick this game up! It just looks so hilariously entertaining! DICKTITS!

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
All I took away from the review is that whether you like the game or not depends on how much you enjoy the Skill Kill system... and from playing the demo I can safely say that I do not.

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
somehow I see a rabid fanbase developing for this game that will end every arguement with "dicktits!", much like how portal fans are obsessed with cake.

That being said I'm so glad I preordered this game and cant wait to have some money to go pick it up with. As much as people bash on the story and the premise for being unoriginal, I think the gameplay is awesome and incredibly creative. So you guys can bash it all you want, just make sure you at least try the demo before you hate, dicktits!*

*I used it ironically so I think I'm safe :D

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
The story is supposed to be over the top, thats what makes it funny. You have to watch it like a parody not a real plot. And I like Gray, can totally relate to this guy.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Gonna go ahead and make a prediction:

The number of first-person shooters featuring a heel-kick mechanic will balloon over the next two years, then sharply decline.

Noctis_XZ

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not sure how I really feel about this game to be honest. There is no denying that it is a FUN game and that's what ALL games need to aim to be first and foremost.. but I was kind of expecting a little more out of this. Let me explain..

When I was going into Bulletstorm I wasn't expecting anything ground breaking from the storyline.. just straight up over the top craziness! But one thing I was expecting was a somewhat longer game.. I mean really, is this the new standard for all FPS? I think I spent more time playing through that Duke Nukem on the XBLA than with most of these top tier FPS games now a days.

Secondly.. I was expecting a little more out of the multiplayer, was I the only one? I just find it odd that a game like this has a multiplayer mode that really only works with teamwork.. just odd in my opinion

Perhaps my expectations were a tad to high? I don't know.. kind of felt it was trying to hard to be over the top as well at times. It's still a nice little game, a buy? Honestly.. HELL NO, not worth it PERIOD unless you are REALLY into it.

For me Duke Nukem is the my last hope. It would be rather hilarious if that was the game that had the insanely fun multiplayer.. XD

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
For the PC? Forget it.

Encrypted config files (thus the inability to alter the FOV and a host of other settings), SLI issues, graphic problems and crashes that have plagued the engine since Gears 1, DX9, short singleplayer with little or no story . . . and most damning of all, GFWL.

Then slap a $60.00 USD price on a poor port with bigtime consolitis.

No, thanks. If I buy it - at all - it'll be when it hits the bargain rack. Still a big If.

As for the Demo, they're *still* working on the PC version.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Tsaba said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:

Boom-POD

pshaw, westboro baptists aren't christians! haha

but that's a good song, I didn't recognize it at first when I saw the trailer until BOOOM

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
jawakiller said:
The story is supposed to be over the top, thats what makes it funny. You have to watch it like a parody not a real plot. And I like Gray, can totally relate to this guy.
it's an epic story of emotional closure and quest for revenge, a very common theme found in many respected sophisticated works of literature and...

oh bother. DICKTITS!

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
Hey great review. Very entertaining. I shall be trying some of these skillshots when the demo for PC gets released.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Why not put a chain around him then headshot him off the cliff with a shotgun <_<

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Aaaawwww! You just sound so excited in the video, sorta like a puppy! 'tis cute. :3
Glad to see you're having fun! Might get it when the price comes down a bit, already got my sights set on Dragon Age 2.

MirrorSweep

Apr 17, 2009
Looks like it'd get pretty old pretty fast, good thing they announced DC but ehhh..I'm not convinced it'll have lasting appeal. =/

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Gotta say, the game's a lot more fun than the demo made it appear. I just finished it, and despite it being as silly as it gets, they still managed to make me care about the characters by the end. And they found a somewhat plausible way of explaining the skillshot announcements on your HUD; wouldn't have needed one, but it's a nice touch. This is a game where a lot of love was put into the details.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Played it for about an hour at a friend's house. It got old really fast. I'd enjoy it more if I was 12.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Khada said:
They make games for the non-critical thinkers now?.. Explains why my close minded, idiot friend can't wait for it.
The irony lies in the non-sequitur you just used.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
It looks like a tremendous amount of fun, but how is the PC version? The Steam forum is currently littered with people who claim it's a crappy console port with almost no options and horrible performance, anyone got a word on that?

EDIT:

PopcornAvenger said:
For the PC? Forget it.

Encrypted config files (thus the inability to alter the FOV and a host of other settings), SLI issues, graphic problems and crashes that have plagued the engine since Gears 1, DX9, short singleplayer with little or no story . . . and most damning of all, GFWL.

Then slap a $60.00 USD price on a poor port with bigtime consolitis.

No, thanks. If I buy it - at all - it'll be when it hits the bargain rack. Still a big If.

As for the Demo, they're *still* working on the PC version.
Just saw this post. Damn. That sucks.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I played the demo and it seems like its a fun game but it would get repetitive and boring pretty quickly for me.

SoulIsTheGoal

Nov 25, 2010
This game looks so much fun, I can't wait to get my hands on it. After I sell a kidney to afford it.
(Dick-tits was in a South Park episode. Season 11, Episode 8.)

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Sadly, I learned the term dicktits before I heard of this game, and I still curse the internet to this day.

However, the game actually looks fun, so I may end up checking it out eventually. Great review supplement by the way Russ.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
Why not put a chain around him then headshot him off the cliff with a shotgun <_<
It's not a proper shotgun, it fire's air but enough to push you back and possibly fall off a cliff, or simply get knocked down...i kid you not.

OT: i will definitely be getting this =D one of 5 titles i want this year, might get me using my Xbox again, not being using it that much lately =\

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
That review was the most excited one I'ver ever heard out of good old Russel. It must be fun to make him so childishly giddy.

squid5580

Feb 20, 2008
Wow when I first read the review I thought you were just hating on the story because it's bad (which really it isn't all that bad although Steve Blum seems to have phoned it in. I am sad over that). I mean sure unless it pulls some Planet of the Apes twist the setting makes no sense. But wow the story does nothing but get in the way. Chaining you to useless NPCs that do more to interfere with the fun than improve it.

Although they must be commended. I mean it takes real skill to give you a giant robot dinosaur to play with and make it not fun to play. I spent 10 rage inducing minutes trying to take down 2 choppers due to the whack controls of it.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Damn I want to launch dudes into the air, attach grenades to them and then drill a hole in their crotches with that drill-gun. I lament my near-empty bank account :(

EDIT: Anyone buying this for PC (hard copy or Steam) let me know how Games for Windows Live is worked into this. I'd like to know whether it cripples certain modes one way or another.
The PC version (even the Steam one) uses GfWL but it shouldn't be to intrusive, and you'll need to hack the ini-file a bit (very easy, there was a working decryptor out hours after release, just google it) to disable the mouse smoothing (which for some incomprehensible reason is on by default) and to kill the FPS cap if you choose.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
Sennz0r said:

The PC version (even the Steam one) uses GfWL but it shouldn't be to intrusive, and you'll need to hack the ini-file a bit (very easy, there was a working decryptor out hours after release, just google it) to disable the mouse smoothing (which for some incomprehensible reason is on by default) and to kill the FPS cap if you choose.
Why the hell would they want to screw with your settings like that forcefully. I'm a gamer, I can set stuff up the way I like it without MS holding my hand.
Big thanks for the heads up, friend. Appreciate it :)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
You forgot to mention it has the best voice actor of all time.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Dammit, Russ, you made me think too hard about dicktits. &#3232;_&#3232;

I'm glad, though, that this game is insanely fun, if nothing else. Seems kind of strange that they hire Rick Remender to write the story and it's cliched garbage. I'd thought of him as decent writer.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I think this review sold me on the game. Anything that gets a critic really excited is always worth a shot.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I am not an FPS fan but I am very happy this game exists. Go forth and reap what you sow! And by "reap" I mean "skill points" and by "sow" I mean "creative violence".

Incidentally, is the challenge of this game primarily racking up skill points? I downloaded the admittedly very short demo, but even for a piss-poor FPSer like myself, it wasn't very hard (though my last FPS experience was "Death from unknown angles every 90 seconds" Modern Warfare 2, so take that as you will).

Ganthrinor said:
I find the use of P.O.D's "Boom" to be both apropriate and highly ironic.

Christian Rock used to accentuate sensless violence for the sake of amusement and excessive profanity?

I award you One Million-Billion-Billion Points.
When this song first came out 9 years ago it was used in Every. Single. Action. Movie. Trailer. Usually in sync with a car or helicopter blowing up.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
that... actually sounds like a lot of fun! Also that game doesn't look as pointlessly bloody as i thought it would be (excessive gore is a bit of a turn off for me) i may have managed to confuse it with splatterhouse though. Hey maybe i'll end up getting this after all.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Da Joz said:
I played the demo and it seems like its a fun game but it would get repetitive and boring pretty quickly for me.
The demo is a pretty good representation of the basic core game play. That's actually from fairly late in the game, so it's odd that there aren't any of the tougher bad guys in it. That's probably the longest stretch in the game that features the basic cannon fodder enemies.

The game builds upon that base extremely well.

There's also various enemies that you can't leash until you wear them down. All of the weapons you use are used against you, so every so often you'll find yourself wrapped up in a Flail Charge or getting hit by a Screamer round. There's even these mutants that are mostly immune to gunfire (you have to hit brightly colored weak spots). Mini-bosses, giant bosses, and some epic set-pieces.

Over-all, I think it's a pretty good melding of a throw-back shooter and a modern shooter. The ability to swap out weapons regularly (and fairly high ammo counts) means I feel comfortable experimenting with different weapons. The story is pretty light-weight, but it's got enough variables that I don't know exactly how it's going to sort itself out beyond the broad strokes. More importantly said story really doesn't get in the way of the action (the exception being some Gears-style slow walking).

And I'm liking Echo Mode a lot. I don't really do multiplayer, so most shooters are done in 6-10 hours, never to be played again. Dividing up the game into bite-size high-action chunks is a stroke of genius. Already I've spent a couple of hours playing around with them. And it's the first FPS in a long while that I plan on playing it again on a harder difficulty. Can't remember the last time I wanted to play a FPS a second time... probably Serious Sam.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
jackpipsam said:
How much did they get paid for this?
I don't think Russ got paid. Even given that the Escapist office is probably not more than an hour from Epic HQ(in bad traffic) I don't think there was an exchange of anything going on with this. I think Russ just shut his brain down and enjoyed the game.

I do wonder what a second review would be from that office though. I don't know if anyone else could have been as excited. I think I'm going to ask CliffyB on twitter when the DLC to remove the story from single player mode is coming out.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
I'm too old for this game.

Btw: Does poking your nose give you bonus points, too?

colourblind

Feb 2, 2011
Im on my second play through of Bulletstorm now and well I have to say it lives up to my expectations of being a big dumb dick joke shoot em up and I love it.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
gibboss28 said:
I want this game. Bah gotta wait until Friday for it, stupid UK release date.
why do we in england have to wait longer?

And i'm getting this on 9th march! can't wait!!!

Mutak

Oct 29, 2009
Calling this game stupid fun is both accurate and a disservice to the game itself. Yes, it is stupid fun, but it's also more than that. Bulletstorm is a crass and gory symphony of mayhem. It's ridiculous and over the top and it knows it - revels in it. It allows you to run and gun without much thought, but also allows you to carefully and methodically plot your every move to maximize your score if that's how you want to play it. Bulletstorm lets you create a fucking ballet of violence.

I find it utterly fascinating that in the echoes and anarchy modes of the game, the enemies aren't the challenge - they are a scarce resource you expend while trying to meet the challenge of stringing together as many ridiculous combos as possible for points. That sort of innovation combined with great visuals, stupid fun gameplay, and a very polished experience overall makes Bulletstorm a breed apart from the other titles out there.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Maybe I'm too old? But I find the frenzied violence of Painkiller far more satisfying than Bulletstorm. I think I even found Borderlands more fun, in terms of prolonged playability - more weapons, more enemies, more reward for growth. I've played through the BS Campaign and spent some time on Echo. Enjoyed it well enough, but I can't see myself touching it again...

Mutak

Oct 29, 2009
Levethian said:
Maybe I'm too old? But I find the frenzied violence of Painkiller far more satisfying than Bulletstorm. I think I even found Borderlands more fun, in terms of prolonged playability - more weapons, more enemies, more reward for growth. I've played through the BS Campaign and spent some time on Echo. Enjoyed it well enough, but I can't see myself touching it again...
I can totally understand that. If you're really into shooters then the echo/anarchy mode probably isn't going to give you a lot replay value because those aspects of the game are actually strategy games with a veneer of shooter on top. They're really all about resource management. What do you call that - an fprts?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The sad thing is, I hate Anarchy mode. I loved the gameplay and the guns and the skillshots, but Anarchy mode just sucks, especially if you're playing it on a console. People will actually fight over enemies to rack up their own skill points and they never stop. Even when the enemy has a team challenge placed on their head, your teammates will still fight over who gets to kick the poor bastard off the edge to complete the challenge, usually ending in someone accidentally killing him with the leash and forcing you to replay the entire round....again. Plus, you don't get experience toward your character if you fail the round, so you could spend hours playing one round and not earn a single point to that next unlock able gun skin you wanted.

Rigs83

Feb 10, 2009
This was the game I played the most at PAX East, because I don't want to wait four hours in a line, and it was awesomeness.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
One of the things that I think would have made the game so much better is if Rell had been your companion/sidekick instead of Ishi. He's basically Gray's drinking buddy and the few times you see him is better than Ishi's (except when his AI goes nuts and wants to kill everyone)

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
I bought Bulletstorm cheap on Steam. The PC version is a port of the console version, damnit. GFWL is required to play the game, or multiplayer. I have an obsolete version of GFWL, but it lets me play even though I will never upgrade it.

The game has a vicious head-bob when you move and run which makes my head hurt. The head bob might even be worse than STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, because in SoC you could edit the code in the game files to stop it. There is no possibility of turning it off in Bulletstorm.

Yes, the story is stupid. That wouldn't be so bad, but the story is moved along in cutscenes. There are too damn many cutscenes. Why can't your companions move up to you and deliver exposition without a cutscene? Normal people do this! I can see what Yahtzee means about the strange character attitudes, and I think that Gray's dialogue was written by committee. I'll side with him on the principle that the alcohol and adbot-mashing are purely gratuitous and serve no valid purpose in the game. While the game seems to take pains to explain everything - with very flimsy rationales - it never quite explains Gray's Kick of Doom, though I'll let that slide since it is a core gameplay mechanic, albeit a strange one.

There is no jumping. Heck, you cannot even walk off the edge of something when there is a walkway two feet below you. This is most annoying in exposed terraced areas, where you have to go find stairs to get to better cover. There are so many invisible walls that it reminded me of other games that had a beautiful landscape that I couldn't interact with. In Painkiller you could fall to your death if you pleased, but Bulletstorm won't allow it.

Its not a dirt-shaded game, which is nice. The targets du jour are varied and colorful, which is also good. When I first stopped playing the game, about 20 minutes had elapsed. I had to stop because I had a massive headache from the head bob, and because I was having difficulty telling the vibrant hostiles from the vibrant landscape. Painkiller had colorful hostiles, but used subdued colors for the backgrounds. I think that better foreground/background contrast would have done the trick.

Its true that when I started playing again a few days later, I kept on playing til about 4am. Usually that's a check-mark in the "FUN" column, but I disagree. There is fun to be had in here, but I was caught up in the excitement. The game creates artificial excitement with quicktime events, timed escapes, and so many Drake's-esque catastrophic set pieces that its a wonder that the planet didn't explode during the opening cutscene. The whole time I was playing, I was comparing it unfavorably to other games like Batman:AA and Half-Life 2. [Edit: In retrospect, even though I don't rank B:AA highly, its not fair to make those comparisons, my apologies.] Also there were things in the game that starkly reminded me of Bioshock. There are some really good elements in this game, and I can definitely see the influence from Painkiller and PCF, but mostly I want my $10 back.