Review: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
"Voice acting is terrible, the writing is trash, and the mission progression makes absolutely no sense."

So it's just like Modern Warfare 2's campaign? (With the exception of Kevin McKidd's voice acting)

Apparently there's a bunch of people on this thread that can't accept that people can disagree with them and dislike a game they like. Relax, folks, say your argument but all this 'you obviously weren't playing right' or 'what game did you play?' stuff just shows a certain lack of maturity.

Note to self: Rent game so I can actually have an opinion.

Apr 28, 2008
I must say, reading this review was entertaining. I haven't played the game, and probably won't for a good long while, but I doubt its this bad. Hell its got to be better then MW2's. Then again anything is better then MW2's...

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Ouch.

I didn't quite see that coming.

The multiplayer is now going to have to be very, very good to tempt me to buy this game.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
Wow, I completely disagree with what he said. I don't think he understands the point of mystery. If anything the campaign is the best of the series, the story is well told and the action and atmosphere are intense. I'm not sure what game he played...

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
What the hell? Guys the game has only been out for two days and already there's already a review for it? On Game Trailers there's already a top ten gory scenes for CoD Black Ops and that was released YESTERDAY!

Am I the only one who finds it strange how there's already this much for a game that was released two days ago? I know its big, but c'mon! Either the single player is only a few hours long or its easy as hell.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Sterling|D-Reaver said:
Side note: Reviewers should enjoy the kind of games they are reviewing if they don't the can't write a fair review for many reasons.
Um, no, just no. A reviewer is entitled to their opinion, just as you are to yours. Just because they didn't like the game and you do, that means nothing. Things like voice acting and gameplay can't be judged objectivity, it's all a matter of a person's likes and dislikes. You're not wrong if you liked Black Ops, and they're not wrong because they disliked it. Games are determined as good or bad by the individual, not by concensus.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
killamanhunter said:
so... October/November was really a downer for both Activision and EA?
Considering Black Ops just broke every entertainment launch record in history, outselling even MW2, I'd say Activision had a pretty good month.

A bad review on the Escapist is hardly going to make Bobby Kotick sob into his mountain of dollar bills.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
latenightapplepie said:
Ouch.

I didn't quite see that coming.

The multiplayer is now going to have to be very, very good to tempt me to buy this game.

Play it then make up your own mind.

This review is not indicative of the feelings of anyone I know who has played it, personally I thought it was great.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Good review, I wish people would wait to hear measured comments on a game's pros and cons before lining up on launch day.

And to be honest this review is what I expected from Black Ops judging by the marketing material alone. I have been seeing Black Ops shit everywhere. And you know I would still be keen to play through it - not for the price it's selling at though, Hell fucking no. It's a question of whether the game is worth spending the time and money on and while I may be curious and maybe once in a while want a pretty crap - but entertaining - shooter I don't want to pay, in my case, $120 for a mediocre experience.

And why should I? Why should anyone else be happy with mediocrity from this franchise? I would hope that people don't relent and buy this game - at least not for a while yet. Send a message that as a consumer you expect quality and you expect anything else to not be dressed up in ridiculously large promotion campaigns and sold at a price that exceeds its worth.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
killamanhunter said:
so... October/November was really a downer for both Activision and EA?
Considering Black Ops just broke every entertainment launch record in history, outselling even MW2, I'd say Activision had a pretty good month.

A bad review on the Escapist is hardly going to make Bobby Kotick sob into his mountain of dollar bills.
It out sold MW2?

Wow, didn't think it would achieve that milestone. Most COD fans don't really like Treyarch

Terrified Android

Apr 1, 2010
Sounds like Russ is trolling for attention.

He didn't even mention Multiplayer OR zombies.

Which is a shame because both are sooooo good.

Game practically has same graphics as MW2, better graphics than W@W or MW1, and why are graphics important anyways?

Story is intense and a nice break from previous CoDs.

Haters wanna hate.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Terrified Android said:
Sounds like Russ is trolling for attention.

He didn't even mention Multiplayer OR zombies.
"But if you're on the fence about the multiplayer attributes, then John Funk has you covered on that score (check for it tomorrow)."

Might want to reread the first paragraph of the text review.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
arc1991 said:
It out sold MW2?

Wow, didn't think it would achieve that milestone. Most COD fans don't really like Treyarch
It kicked MW2's ass...

Made 360 million on as opposed to MW2's 310 million.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Exliam said:
To Whoever said that user reviews were better...think about that for a second. You're letting the 12 year olds, trolls, and frantic fanboys of the world decide what you should play instead of professional reviewers who have played games for years and do this as their job?
Shouldn't you decide what games you want to play, rather then listen to other people's opinions?

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Play it then make up your own mind.

This review is not indicative of the feelings of anyone I know who has played it, personally I thought it was great.
Fair enough, you have a good point; I haven't seen a review as bad as this one either. My brother's going to play it this afternoon at a friend's, if he's impressed enough he might buy it himself; I'm too cautious to blow to my own money on this one.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I guess this will please all the adamant Call of Duty loathers on this site.

For those of you who are concerned with the actual quality of the game, it's pretty fun, I promise. Does it do anything particularly new? No. Does it excel at mimicking its predecessors? Definitely. The campaign is intense, and jam-packed with jaw-dropping moments and the tight gameplay the series is known for.

This review gives very few valid reasons for a two-star rating. You clearly were going for a large reaction by the community, but this is just a very poorly written review.

I mean, just read the verdict:

"Playing Call of Duty Black Ops is an exercise in futility and frustration punctuated by brief moments of genuine fun. I can't recommend the game to anyone who doesn't hate themselves and want to inflict pain on their own psyche."

You either don't like first person shooters or you didn't play the same game as me; in either case, you were unfit to write this review. I find it very hard to believe that somebody could truly think the game's campaign is abysmal. To each his own, I suppose, but this review just seems filled with so much undeserved hatred that I question your quality as a reviewer and as a writer.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
I have played through the singleplayer and dipped my tow in the multiplayer and while obviously Black Ops is far from the greatest game made, I (and a large % of the gaming population) consider it to be an extremely good game. Although I generally respect Russ's opinions this review (at least to me) stinks of contrarianism because the only mention of something good (the gameplay) comes after almost 2 pages of constantly bashing the game for what are (in my mind) minor (and overly specific) flaws. I respect that everyone has a right to his/her opinions but if you decide to bash something please make sure that its on the forums and not an official review.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
This seems like a Yahtzee Review... I might as well not watch ZP because I think next week will be this, rephrased.

Only thing that is missing is humor.