Review: Cave Story

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Review: Cave Story

One of the most well-known indie games in existence has finally gotten an official release on WiiWare.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I always thought that it took more cues from Metroid than Mario with a gun...huh.

In fact. I not once thought of Mario. But you did get the Metroid comparisons in.

And that's key.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Did they ever fix the problems they had with the audio? If not, then there's really no reason to get the Wii version over the PC one, considering all the new stuff I hear is just a lazy afterthought (Curly Mode, the new translation is apparently horrendous word-for-word translation from the original Japanese).

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Did they ever fix the problems they had with the audio? If not, then there's really no reason to get the Wii version over the PC one,
To support the developer of this amazing game?

EVEN MORE

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
The new graphics are a definite improvement, although the audio is iffy at best. Easily the best game of it's kind (IMO). From my viewpoint, it totally blows Metroid and Castlevania out of the water. I love this game to bits.

EXCEPT..... Damn it, I leave Curly in the room the the waterway EVERY TIME! Ugh. So unintuitive.

(BTW, Curly mode is really not worth it. Just play the regular mode. It's better. Quote is still mute while Curly can still talk. Makes no sense.)

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woe Is You said:
Did they ever fix the problems they had with the audio? If not, then there's really no reason to get the Wii version over the PC one,

EVEN MORE
From what I've been reading, the developer of the original really isn't getting much from people buying the port. He basically sold the full rights of the game to Nicalis. Same happened with Nifflas Nygren's (made Knytt Stories) Night Game.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woe Is You said:

EVEN MORE
From what I've been reading, the developer of the original really isn't getting much from people buying the port. He basically sold the full rights of the game to Nicalis. Same happened with Nifflas Nygren's (made Knytt Stories) Night Game.
Ah. Then no reason.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
...a hidden area that is the hardest in the game...
Oh god, is this an understatement. Bloody hell, it's one doozy of an understatement. There is a good reason it's called the Hell level.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah, the audio isn't as great in the release, but the graphics are definitely much better. Although I was more upset at Balrog no longer saying "Huzzah!" just so he can imitate the Kool-Aid man. As a supporter of this game since 2008 (2009? I don't remember), I went and bought this the week after it came out. Fantastic title, and anyone even remotely interested in indie gaming should play this, either on WiiWare or its PC counterpart.

I was upset at not being able to mix and match audio, because while the new Cave Story (theme) is a tad grating, the new Moonsong is astounding. Ah well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EebKwhgusw8[/youtube]

EDIT:
Nevyrmoore said:
...a hidden area that is the hardest in the game...
Oh god, is this an understatement. Bloody hell, it's one doozy of an understatement. There is a good reason it's called the Hell level.
Seconded. Hell WILL kill you, and it'll rejoice in doing so multiple times.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Did... did I just see "the level design is not on par with" LittleBigPlanet‽

What indignity will we suffer next? "La Mulana's inventory system is not on par with Doom"‽ "Elona suffers primarily from its depth, which hardly matches that seen in Final Fantasy XIII"‽

Solidplasma

Statistical Improbability
Aug 5, 2009
Oh, yeah, I remember meeting Tom Goldman at PAX. He said he was gonna review this, so I downloaded it. Having not played the original, I was still completely taken in by it's unique charm. And frantic shooter action. I'm not very far though; I went back to finally finishing World of Goo. Indie Games FTW!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
Did... did I just see "the level design is not on par with" LittleBigPlanet‽

What indignity will we suffer next? "La Mulana's inventory system is not on par with Doom"‽ "Elona suffers primarily from its depth, which hardly matches that seen in Final Fantasy XIII"‽
LittleBigPlanet is a shining example of clever and creative platforming level design, in this human's opinion.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I played the original version a while back when it was first going around as the latest Big Thing. If you haven't yet and have ever enjoyed any Metroidvania-type game even a little bit (I'd go so far as to put it in the same league as Super Metroid), go play this now. No, really. We'll wait.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
By far one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.
I had it on my PSP awhile ago...and boy did I ever get some running time out of it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see an old favourite make it into the Wiiware market.

I wish I had opportunity to play it but..alas.

Does look like it will be pretty shweet though!

AgentChunk

Jul 27, 2009
Cave Story is the best isn't it? Still I see no reason to buy it. Free and legal is always the best choice for this consumer.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tenmar said:
Wait 15 dollars? Don't you mean 12 dollars Tom? Cave Story on Wiiware is 1200 Wiiware points, not Microsoft points. Might want to fix that little typo.

Still I haven't played the original but will wait until I start getting some income before I get my gaming back on.
Thank you. Gol'durned funny money points and such.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
This game was awesome on PC. Alas, I don't have a Wii, so I can't play it's retail release.