Review: Dragon Age: Origins on the PC

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
carpathic said:
Can you still get the armor for ME2 on the xbox if you get the pc version I wonder
Yes. BioWare's confirmed that no matter what platform you get ME2 on, the DLC code for the armor will work.

That said, I'm seriously considering switching my pre-order for ME2 Collector's from Xbox to PC. I won't be able to transfer my ME1 saves from my 360, but it seems I'll also be more likely to get a better game. I bought Dragon Age for the PC, and after playing it there and seeing it played on other platforms, I'm very glad I did.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Thankee Kindly Blueink Alchemist.

I think I might stick with mass effect on the xbox 360, but now I am seriously considering D A:O for the pc instead.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Ghadente said:
Is there a reason the reveiw for the PS3 version wasn't included?

i am on the fence on buying dragon age, and a PS3 review would have helped.
Look to the bottom of the article. You'll have to do reading. :)

I'm a PS3 owner of this game; get it. It's good.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Garaw said:
Khada said:
Susan Ardnt > all other reviewers (tho i also like that other dude whos not the chief editor - not that hes all that bad either)

yet to play the game, it appeals to me alot but the one thing thats a big turn off is having to play and control multiple characters. i dont mind having a party at all, i just prefer to not have to do too much with them (other than keep them geared) mass effect is a good example of this, and being from the same developer im hoping that holds true to DA:O

would appreciate if someone could confirm this for me? :D
Unfortunately, no. The tactics slots let you program a few nuggets of common sense into them (like healing people who are hurt and chugging mana potions), but for the most part you will have to pause the game after practically every action and tell them to move out of enemy firing range, gang up on that boss, etc. The key to winning a lot of fights is just telling everyone to 'hold position' at the right times and 'pulling' the next pack of bad guys with one character.

It's hard to get over the real-time aspects and start thinking of it as a turn-based game, but it really is. And you'll need to direct everyone.
Or you can do what I do, and rush every room like a death squad. So far, it's worked wonderfully. :) Save for one mission where I had to employee pull-tactics. (I play on hard mode too.)

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Firia said:
Or you can do what I do, and rush every room like a death squad. So far, it's worked wonderfully. :) Save for one mission where I had to employee pull-tactics. (I play on hard mode too.)
Maybe I'm just way overworking the problem as usual, then.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Slycne said:
hansari said:
Greg Tito said:
If you have a decent enough system to handle the graphics, and if you're reading this you probably do...
Haha!

How demanding do you think this website is on our pc's?
I think the assumption is that if you are reading a gaming site. You probably own at least an above average machine.
Enjoying gaming doesn't stop me being poor ;)

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Let's face the facts people, Dragon Age is a PC game. After all, it's a BioWare RPG! It was released on consoles because they are all the rage and everyone keeps insisting that the PC is dead. (Phah). It's a PC game. Of course it'll be better on the PC.

I am interested in seeing what you guys think of the PS3 version though.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
Garaw said:
Khada said:
Susan Ardnt > all other reviewers (tho i also like that other dude whos not the chief editor - not that hes all that bad either)

yet to play the game, it appeals to me alot but the one thing thats a big turn off is having to play and control multiple characters. i dont mind having a party at all, i just prefer to not have to do too much with them (other than keep them geared) mass effect is a good example of this, and being from the same developer im hoping that holds true to DA:O

would appreciate if someone could confirm this for me? :D
Unfortunately, no. The tactics slots let you program a few nuggets of common sense into them (like healing people who are hurt and chugging mana potions), but for the most part you will have to pause the game after practically every action and tell them to move out of enemy firing range, gang up on that boss, etc. The key to winning a lot of fights is just telling everyone to 'hold position' at the right times and 'pulling' the next pack of bad guys with one character.

It's hard to get over the real-time aspects and start thinking of it as a turn-based game, but it really is. And you'll need to direct everyone.
bah damn, thanks a lot for that tho :)

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Spitfire175 said:
I remember even some other members of the Escapist team saying that Dragon age should be played on the PC. So I guess PC gaming is still happily dying?
It's the best experience, but it's still probably going to sell fewer copies than either console version will. PC gaming isn't on the decline because developers are incapable of creating great PC games, but because PC gamers aren't buying the same quantity of games.

Jenx said:
It's not likely that we'll end up doing a review of the PS3 version. All reports say it plays the same as the Xbox 360 version, with better graphics but a less reliable frame rate.

The game is fantastic regardless of the platform, in my opinion. Pick which platform you like based on what you have and what you like playing on the most, and you won't end up being disappointed.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Garaw said:
Firia said:
Maybe I'm just way overworking the problem as usual, then.
Maybe. I have faith that "attack" is enough of a command to get by. I let the Tactics handle the immediate problems that crop up, and some combat things. Specifics like Reviving the fallen, or team heals, I get my hands on that personally. But I can't stand micromanaging, and won't have any part of it.

So far I do alright. :)

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I got the game for the pc and after a rather rocky start have started to really get into it. The only thing that is kinda bugging me is the astronomical amount of blood. The random bloodied characters during and after battle doesnt bug me so much but why does the map have to have big blood splots as you are going places..?

Regardless I am rather taken aback at how much I am enjoying this considering I hated KOTOR and the combat scheme in that. The combat in this has very much grown on me and the difficulty is hard which makes winning a hard fight that much more rewarding.

Now if only my computer would work again I could play it again..

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
I have DA:O on the PC, and I find the graphics to be nothing special anyway, must be horrid for console users then if I find the graphics to be lacking on the PC version.

Would anybody be able to post me a link to the custom mods created by the community? I've found some, but they're hard to come by. I'm looking for one that lets you reset characters stats. I found it before, though cannot find it again. Much obliged if anybody can provide assistance.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
Firia said:
Ghadente said:
Is there a reason the reveiw for the PS3 version wasn't included?

i am on the fence on buying dragon age, and a PS3 review would have helped.
Look to the bottom of the article. You'll have to do reading. :)

I'm a PS3 owner of this game; get it. It's good.
ok my bad, i must have missed the end of the article. I think i searched it for PS3 and not Playstation.
Even so, why is it then that they have not seen it on PS3?

in any case, i'm on ebay now trying to get me a non-retail price copy of the game now :)

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Finally a good perspective that actually points out the differences between the PC and 360 version. Doesn't matter to me though, I only get games on consoles so I'll get it for the 360, I saw the review and the graphics do not seem lackluster to me at all.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
Sigh. Curses to my lazy boyfriend for buying it on the 360. :( Not sure my computer could handle it well enough in its current state anyway. The top-down view would be well enough for me to prefer PC though.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
syndicated44 said:
I got the game for the pc and after a rather rocky start have started to really get into it. The only thing that is kinda bugging me is the astronomical amount of blood. The random bloodied characters during and after battle doesnt bug me so much but why does the map have to have big blood splots as you are going places..?

Regardless I am rather taken aback at how much I am enjoying this considering I hated KOTOR and the combat scheme in that. The combat in this has very much grown on me and the difficulty is hard which makes winning a hard fight that much more rewarding.

Now if only my computer would work again I could play it again..
I'm guessing the blood is supposed to be a theme. Since to become a Grey Warden you drink tainted Darkspawn blood.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm roughly 40 to 50 hours in to Dragon Age atm, still got several side quests and what I assume is the final big quest hub to go, utterly amazing rpg. Definitely not a game suited to casual gamers though, some of the fights are insanely hard even on easy. Their are some where not having a healer or running out of health potions will equal unavoidable failure.

Incidentally if you've just started playing DO NOT kill the old mage you meet in the tower, she is the only healer in the game you can recruit unless you spec morrigan down that path which then takes away your best ranged damage dealer. If however you're playing a mage it shouldn't be a problem assuming you spec right. The harder boss fights (especially the dragons) are impossible without a good healer. Both the ones I have fought can 2 shot everyone but my tank.

Shale, Ohgrum and Sven can all become competent tanks but you'll want Alistair for the harder bosses/big fights unless you're playing a tanky warr. Shale has some awesome aoe ability's, well worth downloading via the dlc as is the kick ass blood dragon armor (still wearing the chest at lvl 18, games cap is 20). Soldiers peak, eh its basically the bank/item storage for like an extra 5 bucks but if you know how to play well its not a big deal. I bought it cause I'm lazy and a completionist :p

And because all my friends keep asking, in order to learn the sub classes you need to talk to your ally's of the same class with the sub class ability, learn it from a story part of the game or buy a rare tome from a vendor at some stage.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Interestingly enough, if you've unlocked a specialization in one play through, it remains unlocked in subsequent games from the beginning (though you'll still have the interactions to go about unlocking it again). I haven't tested it yet, but I'm wondering what happens if you unlock a specialization and then load up an older save - if it's actually account based like I think it is, I could make certain plot decisions I wouldn't otherwise for the unlock and then revert back to what I would have done. Blood Mage and Reaver both require some... suspect moral choices after all.

Aug 30, 2009
Virgil said:
Spitfire175 said:
I remember even some other members of the Escapist team saying that Dragon age should be played on the PC. So I guess PC gaming is still happily dying?
It's the best experience, but it's still probably going to sell fewer copies than either console version will. PC gaming isn't on the decline because developers are incapable of creating great PC games, but because PC gamers aren't buying the same quantity of games.

Jenx said:
It's not likely that we'll end up doing a review of the PS3 version. All reports say it plays the same as the Xbox 360 version, with better graphics but a less reliable frame rate.

The game is fantastic regardless of the platform, in my opinion. Pick which platform you like based on what you have and what you like playing on the most, and you won't end up being disappointed.
eh, I never see the graphics change between PS3 and XBOX 360 I even did a test with Dragon Age, it's either I need glasses, or there is no change.

(please don't flame me! :*( a flame thrower should only be used on the British by the IRA, on Michael Atkinson, or if your drunk and starting a forest fire!)