Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
12,070
0
0
Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

EO:BW has enough fun things to do underwater to keep you busy for far longer than most titles.

Read Full Article
 

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
17,032
0
0
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.
 

Tonimata

New member
Jul 21, 2008
1,890
0
0
...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...
 

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
10,237
0
0
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive.
Same here as well but damnit this looks like fun.
 

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
5,630
0
0
Wow...never expected so much from a glorified diver simulator
 

Curtmiester

New member
Jan 13, 2009
1,331
0
0
Two things:
1. Did you say your own private reef? Like, can you put the types of fish you want in it? Because
Sting-Rays rule.
2. I saw the name Bob Jingle. Bob Jingle...
 

Chipperz

New member
Apr 27, 2009
2,594
0
0
Tonimata said:
...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...
I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.
 

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
2,026
0
0
Chipperz said:
Tonimata said:
...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...
I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes, so I'm not sure either. Would definately not take any chances, though.

And yes, I would play that game. It does look relaxing. Damnit, now I want a diver's certificate! Better buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best.
 

Echolocating

New member
Jul 13, 2006
617
0
0
I just picked up this game on the weekend. I really enjoyed the first one so this one was a no-brainer. There's definitely more gaming/tracking aspects, but they managed to keep what made the first so enjoyable intact.

When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.
 

rembrandtqeinstein

New member
Sep 4, 2009
2,173
0
0
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
 

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
2,026
0
0
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.
 

Syphous

New member
Apr 6, 2009
833
0
0
dalek sec said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive.
Same here as well but damnit this looks like fun.
Oh yeah, I would probably pay 60 for this if it came out on 360/PS3 or even PC. I'm not a big "OMG GOod GRAFIX = GG!" person, but a game like this could really be amazing if the graphics were top-notch.
 

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
12,070
0
0
Echolocating said:
When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean
 

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
2,650
0
0
BUT HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOUR GUN!?

WHERE IS THE COVER SYSTEM!?!?!?

WHY ARENT THEY TALKING IN GRITTY VOICES!?!?!?

AAAHHH!!! WHATS HAPPENING WITH GAMES!?!?!?!?

*twitch twitch*
 

Echolocating

New member
Jul 13, 2006
617
0
0
Greg Tito said:
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.
Three stars. An average game. You'll play it and probably enjoy it. A month from now, you'll likely have forgotten all about it.
Well, it's a pretty unique "average and forgettable game". ;-) Sometimes, the atmosphere and experience is the element that pushes a game to excellence. Anyway, this is a great review. Seriously. I just don't get the scoring thing though, and probably never will; it feels like it contradicts your review.
 

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
4,794
0
0
Looks like fun. I am a big fan of nature documentaries (I recently got Planet Earth on Blu Ray, dear god its beautiful), but I don't have a Wii. I hope they'll do a port to PC or PS3 or maybe a sequel.

Also did the diver fart at 2:49?
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
So the game is basically a really long fetch quest?? I guess I shouldn't knock it until I play it but it doesn't seem very fun.

Greg Tito said:
Echolocating said:
When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".
 

More Fun To Compute

New member
Nov 18, 2008
4,061
0
0
I enjoyed swimming around for a while in the previous game but don't really have the mindset for unlocking content. It was surprisingly enjoyable to do things like guiding someone on a dive then getting good feedback in an email.
 

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
16,495
0
0
I think I would prefer just going outside to fish only because I get free lunch and the pointless sense of achievement like no one hear cares about me catching a fish, So why am I even talking..... Good review by the way.
 

Echolocating

New member
Jul 13, 2006
617
0
0
AC10 said:
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".
Just to clear one thing up though... I don't really care if Greg Tito liked or hated the game. I was just confused by what I thought was a really positive review coupled with a surprisingly mediocre score. But yes, this is a squabble involving a score. It was like, "This game is really good! I give it a 6/10." I'm just adjusting to this new grading curve, is all. ;-)
 

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
4,202
0
0
Wow, this looks awesome. I love fish etc, my dad studied marine biology and passed on his love of the ocean to me... but before you ask...
I AM NOT A FREAKY FISH GUY!
 

ottenni

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,996
0
0
I can just tell that if i ever got this game, my life would be forfeit. I love exploring in games.
 

maninahat

New member
Nov 8, 2007
4,398
0
0
Chapper said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.
There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.
 

D4rkLigh7

New member
Feb 12, 2009
46
0
0
If I owned a Wii I'd get this game and play it. Too bad it can't be for the PC on steam...
 

Flying Dagger

New member
Apr 14, 2009
1,344
0
0
maninahat said:
Chapper said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Chapper said:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes
Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?
Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.
There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.
The entire stripping a cow rumour was made up to support the idea of having an aquatic foe that isn't a shark.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
11,637
1,054
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
sounds interesting, I always liked exploration and this sounds like it rewards you well for it, too bad I dont have money for it right now
 

Bilbo536

New member
Sep 24, 2009
292
0
0
HentMas said:
BUT HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOUR GUN!?

WHERE IS THE COVER SYSTEM!?!?!?

WHY ARENT THEY TALKING IN GRITTY VOICES!?!?!?

AAAHHH!!! WHATS HAPPENING WITH GAMES!?!?!?!?

*twitch twitch*
CHEST-HIGH-WALLS!!! OH GOD WHERE ARE THE CHEST-HIGH-WALLS!?!?
 

Beatrix

New member
Jul 1, 2009
388
0
0
Ooooh, that looks like a breath of fresh air.
I love random collecting.
 

Justin1221

New member
Aug 16, 2008
78
0
0
It's so tempting to get the game. A nice, bright, water-based game with exploration. It's just too bad fish (or any kind of sea creature) make my skin crawl. I don't want to get freaked by some huge ass sorta creepy or freaky fish.
 

Frybird

New member
Jan 7, 2008
1,632
0
0
AC10 said:
So the game is basically a really long fetch quest?? I guess I shouldn't knock it until I play it but it doesn't seem very fun.

Greg Tito said:
Echolocating said:
When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".

Definitely liked it better without scores.

I once did articles for a page that used review scores too (for music, of all things), and i ended up not giving much thought about actual scores because you can NEVER GET IT RIGHT. (Aliens vs. Predator should be enough proof for that).

Games, like most other things, shouldn't be rated by a vague score, and these just distract from the actual review where you can point out the good and the bad so everyone can decide if the game is something he would like personally (despite bad/good scores).
Not that it is The Escapist's fault when readers just look at the given score, still, any scoring system is pointless.
 

Tonimata

New member
Jul 21, 2008
1,890
0
0
Chipperz said:
Tonimata said:
...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...
I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.
Well, a bank of piranhas can completely devour a cow in less than 30 seconds. So by knowing what you're doing I assume you mean staying the fuck away from them :p
 

Snotnarok

New member
Nov 17, 2008
6,310
0
0
Crap this reminds me of that PSOne game that totally escapes me at the moment. Probably because it's the only other diving game I know of, but still it reminds me of it and that's important..to me.
 

Phillip C

New member
Sep 28, 2009
34
0
0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha

Scroll down to the myth's section. Piranha's won't turn you into a skeleton... but you wouldn't want one of them latching onto your ass! ;3 Looks like a fun game actually, I always enjoyed watching fish in an aquarium, but I also liked scaring them by taping on the glass and waving my hands at them.
 

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
2,026
0
0
maninahat said:
There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I remember as a wee little lad that the pet store sold piranhas, and I was afraid they'd eat my finger if I'd put it in the water. My dad told me that they'd probably not, though.

Anyway, I'm no marine biologist, but isn't it the red piranha who is the most aggressive? I've always thought so.
 

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
6,092
0
0
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.
Me too. When I first heard about this game I thought it'd be lame, but this looks a lot like what I actually want to do in real life without the traveling expenses and the dangers of it. I do have a small interest in games about collecting and exploring, but I have a huge interest in marine biology and aquaculture.

Because of this review I'll probably check this game out at some point.
 

Magnalian

New member
Dec 10, 2009
969
0
0
Onyx Oblivion said:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. So, congratulations, mr. Greg Tito, you've managed to make a game called Endless Ocean sound interesting. Now if only I had money.
 

UtopiaV1

New member
Feb 8, 2009
493
0
0
Great review dude, extensive and informative, plus (as an added bonus) entertaining!

This is exactly how reviewing games should be. Good job, plus the game looks very pretty and fun too.
 

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
210
0
0
Snotnarok said:
Crap this reminds me of that PSOne game that totally escapes me at the moment. Probably because it's the only other diving game I know of, but still it reminds me of it and that's important..to me.
Diver's Dream?
 

Snotnarok

New member
Nov 17, 2008
6,310
0
0
Chimaera said:
Snotnarok said:
Crap this reminds me of that PSOne game that totally escapes me at the moment. Probably because it's the only other diving game I know of, but still it reminds me of it and that's important..to me.
Diver's Dream?
Treasures of the Deep! Had a demo disc of with that on it, I played it often but never got it.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Echolocating said:
AC10 said:
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".
Just to clear one thing up though... I don't really care if Greg Tito liked or hated the game. I was just confused by what I thought was a really positive review coupled with a surprisingly mediocre score. But yes, this is a squabble involving a score. It was like, "This game is really good! I give it a 6/10." I'm just adjusting to this new grading curve, is all. ;-)
Which sums up why we'll never do away with our standard reviewing format. Scores mean different things to different people, so if you really want to know what the game is about, take the time to read the review. :)
 

Nmil-ek

New member
Dec 16, 2008
2,597
0
0
Looks oddly fun might pick it up some day would be a refereshing change of pace from BLOOD TITS GOOOORRREEE!!!
 

SovietX

New member
Sep 8, 2009
438
0
0
Snotnarok said:
Crap this reminds me of that PSOne game that totally escapes me at the moment. Probably because it's the only other diving game I know of, but still it reminds me of it and that's important..to me.
Echo the dolphin? or was that ps2. I know there was an xbox game called B.C. and it involved underwater exploration.

OT - Good review, seems kinda fun in a slow way.
 

GloatingSwine

New member
Nov 10, 2007
4,544
0
0
I enjoyed the original Endless Ocean (and I even posted a user review of it), it's great for spending a couple of hours just faffing about.