Review: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Looks good, but I think i'm going to wait until it comes down in price before I get it due to the many, many other games that is higher up on my wanted list.

Testsubject909

Jan 18, 2010
"it's not a story you hear about all that often"? Hmm... well, the actual iteration, no, but spin-offs or stories based on it? All the time.

What do you think Dragonball is based off of? As for Anime enthusiasts, there's always Saiyuki which is pretty much a new spin on the tale (with a bit too much potential for yaoi that could definitely cause some discomfort for most.)

Anyhow, the game looks sparkling, the motion capture and acting is... surprising, it's not something I was expecting. Gameplay looks good, parcour looks just fine as well. Seems like a solid title.

Now if only I could hunt down the idiot who said that this game was being sexist towards women and make him or her look at the more blatant show of slavery up front, and how it's the woman who has enslaved the man...

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
So this is a game where the only real flaw is the gameplay? Sorry but that's kinda what I go into a game for.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
Spoiler from the demo:

Monkey wakes up as s prisoner in a slave pod. And he's a gruff and big Guy. He chases Trip and she pisses him off. So the headband isn't a bad idea.

My sadness is that the demo is awesome. It has none of the little gameplay problems. I wish it was all like that.

The gameplay is good, it just has some very frustrating moments That yougrt over quickly., lie stopping on tree roots rather than just stepping over them. But I'm enjoying it.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Review: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Enslaved rises above its flaws to deliver a grand adventure.

Read Full Article
Whats up with Ninja Theory and red heads?

I mean the girl in enslaved sort of remind me of the main character in Heavenly sword...

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Dectilon said:
Cpu46 said:
Ya know, after hearing Kotic's plan of selling the starcraft cutscenes as a movie I thought he was an idiot. But the snippet of cutscene at the end of the review makes me think that if they did the same thing for this game I probably would pay to see it.

I probably will rent the game though.
You still need the gameplay to fill in the blanks still I'd say. And if you own the game you probably have them anyway.
I probably should have gone into more detail. I meant that if they added more scenes to piece the cutscenes together. And I think that even people who don't like video games would enjoy this as a movie.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I haven't read the review, simply because I know next-to-nothing about any events in the game and want to keep it that way.

But how short was "very short" on your playthrough?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Woodsey said:
I haven't read the review, simply because I know next-to-nothing about any events in the game and want to keep it that way.

Don't worry, I avoid spoilers. And I finished in...maybe 6 hours?

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
After a great review, I have only one important question, how long is this game?

It sounds like little replay value, but if it's long enough I will probably buy it next week.

" It's an incredibly short game "

How short? We talking 4 hours?

EDIT: Thanks

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This looks so sick, really looking forward to it.

Im not the only guy here who thinks Trip is a total hottie right? I mean "MAR GAWD". Monkey looks manly to, cant wait to hear him talk!

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Because of my generation, whenever I see the power-controlling headband/power pole/monkey powers/flying cloud I'm forced to think of the characters in anime and video games with all of the same powers, like Goku from Dragonball and Son Son from MvC2. Granted, those were all based on Journey to the West as well, so no fault there. I think this game looks like a definite must-play now. Not sure if it's a buy, but totally a rent.

Edit: Actually, the Power Headband was only on the power-pole wielding, monkey-powered character from Saiyuki, but the rest of the similarities are there for him as well.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Woodsey said:

OK, thanks: it's hard to know which reviewers spoil what (if anything), and half the time I end up knowing what happens for an entire 3/4 of the game.

And 6 hours? o_O

Are there selectable difficulty levels? Might just ramp it up to the top to extend the lifetime a little, although I have a habit of replaying single-player campaigns several times over anyway.

TheArma

May 19, 2009
So, fellow Escapists, help me out here... I am sure I read/heard this somewhere but I was under the impression this game could be played by two people, one controlling Monkey and one Trip.

Or am I just making this up?

If I am - why the hell are there not more games where I *can* do that. Surely my g/f and I are not the only couple who'd love to play a deep, story driven game together in front of the telly. That would get me away from my darling PC and onto the evil box under the telly for, oh, at least a few hours.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Woodsey said:
Susan Arendt said:
Woodsey said:

OK, thanks: it's hard to know which reviewers spoil what (if anything), and half the time I end up knowing what happens for an entire 3/4 of the game.

And 6 hours? o_O

Are there selectable difficulty levels? Might just ramp it up to the top to extend the lifetime a little, although I have a habit of replaying single-player campaigns several times over anyway.
Three different difficulty settings, and getting 100% for finding all the orbs and masks will likely take a little while, too.

And just for the record, we always warn about spoilers here at The Escapist, so you don't have to worry. We try to avoid them as much as possible, but when we can't, we at least give you a heads up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
After having played the demo, I'm giving this game an extremely wide berth.

The controls were so thick and rusty it made the controls of Killzone 2 feel like velvet.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I'm getting this.
Was the girl modeled after someone? If so, who? I'm not one to typically think a video game character is beautiful, but she is.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
This game looks fantastic.

I've been living under a rock for the last year so I was completely unaware of this one until I noticed the review today. The $60 pricetag for a game that'll take less than 10 hours seems quite high, but if the demo is any good I'll probably just suck it up and buy it.

Thanks for the review. It's not often I instantly fall in love with a game just from a few trailers and a story rundown, but this definitely seems to be one.