Review: Epic Mickey

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Electrogecko said:
I'm sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Did you even play the game? The only things that you lose when you go back in time are all your stocks of arrows, deku sticks, rupees, etc. I'm curious, what were those "same things over and over" that you were doing? The only times in the game where you needed to repeat anything were for extra credit side quests, like the Kaifi quest line and the frog choir, and even then, the ability to warp, control time, use newly obtained items, and being able to instantly replay bosses upon entering the temple made everything streamlined, fresh, quick, and fun.

"Unnecessary difficulty pandering"? The decision to include a timer was in no way a method of difficulty pandering....I've never thought of it that way in my life. I played the game when I was like 10 years old and not once did I ever run out of time. (except for the first 3 day sequence b4 you get your ocarina back.....no guide....or internet) You learn very early on how to slow the flow of time to the point where the 3 days lasts....I don't know at least a few hours, which is more than enough time to complete all the game's temples, and if it's not, it's certainly enough to get the key item within.

"Arbitrary timer"?....did you not realize how the entire game revolved around time? Every single character in the game followed a schedule, and learning each character's schedule and filling out the bomber's notebook was the most unique aspect of the game! It was one of, if not the, first game to ever use such a mechanic, and it stands the test of time.

The 3 day mechanic defined Majora's Mask. Without it, the game would lose it's story, half it's content, and be nowhere near as crative, memorable or impactful.
thank you i couldnt agree more. I just wish i owned the game...

epic mickey sounds interesting but being on the wii and not compatible with classic controller i will not pick it up.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
While the gameplay looks and sounds horrible, I didn't even need to play to know that some of those cutscenes are emotional as hell. All it took was Mickey looking at what I'm guessing is a statue of Walt there (though it makes me wonder why this is aimed for kids when that scene alone made me feel hollow and that goofy scene in the video made me unnerved as hell).

Sad when a story is let down by gameplay, isn't it?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Delock said:
While the gameplay looks and sounds horrible, I didn't even need to play to know that some of those cutscenes are emotional as hell. All it took was Mickey looking at what I'm guessing is a statue of Walt there (though it makes me wonder why this is aimed for kids when that scene alone made me feel hollow and that goofy scene in the video made me unnerved as hell).

Sad when a story is let down by gameplay, isn't it?
To be quite honest, I wouldn't let my nephews play this. I was genuinely upset and disturbed by some of the content in it. It's a wonderfully-told story, but I'd be very concerned about how it might affect a rather young fan.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I don't understand the rating here. You say it's totally unfun and disappointing, then you go and give it an average rating.

My brother's getting it for Christmas, so I'll make my own judgements. Can't say I got my hopes too high for the game anyway, so maybe I'll enjoy it. I tend to enjoy games everyone else deems "disappointing" anyway (Other M, FFXIII, etc.).

Melion

Apr 16, 2009
Odd, even with the flaws (I don't think the camera is THAT bad, just takes practise) I really REALLY enjoy this game.

I personally give this game a 4/5.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
Wait. Disney's super anticipated game has CAMERA PROBLEMS? Why would this game have camera problems!?!? Did they accidently hire a deranged Camera Director or something?

We had camera problems a decade ago. We don't HAVE camera problems anymore. If you made a game that has camera problems in it, you have done something terribly wrong. In this case, scripted camera movements should easily be made to keep points of interest and the main character in view at the same time. Also, a targeting system is supposed to aid in combat. (Just like every other platforming game EVER)

That is really sad when a game dies to camera problems, and it shouldn't realistically happen in this decade of video games ESPECIALLY with a huge release like Epic Mickey.

hippodragon9

Prinny Chucker
Mar 10, 2010
Weird scores are weird.
How do you spend almost the entire review bashing a game, then give it a 6/10? That's a GOOD score.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
I read another review that compared Epic Mickey to Psychonauts, and I feel that's the best analogy to use here.
Which is weird because according to Wikipedia, in the US, the game is outsold in Disney Store Website. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey#Reception]

OT: I have heard that this game has some minor control and camera problems. I am still getting it though, because regardless, it looks AWESOME!!!

Also, like Warren has said, he is gonna make 2 more. Maybe he'll fix the problems of the first game with the second one.

Lastly, I hope this brings back Oswald as a cartoon character! I really wanna see a modern Oswald Cartoon!!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Looks like the bottom line is:

A stupid gimmick has ruined a game with so much potential and such a wonderful story idea. Motion control isn't good for anything except niche titles and spesific kinds of gameplay. It's been proven with PS3 and Xbox motion control games being copies of every popular Wii game. There's only so much you can do with it, and trying to force it into games that might appeal to anyone but party gamers will ultimately hurt it.

Maybe there will be a remake or sequel on a real gaming platform and companies will have learned their lesson about this fad.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Mr. Fister said:
I read another review that compared Epic Mickey to Psychonauts, and I feel that's the best analogy to use here.
Which is weird because according to Wikipedia, in the US, the game is outsold in Disney Store Website. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Mickey#Reception]
I meant in terms of the actual game, not sales. Epic Mickey seems to be a lot like Psychonauts: Brilliant concept, storytelling, and atmosphere muddled in flawed gameplay.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I remember when those awesome screenshots first came out for the game. Is any of that actually in this? If not, then what a waste.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'm going to reiterate what everyone said I was crazy for saying a few months back. It's still on the Wii, I see they haven't fixed that problem. I mean seriously how could anyone have expected better. The Wii is overall a god awful system not capable of supporting games like this and in the end only serves to hold back a game like Epic Mickey from being the truly awesome experience it should have been.

Motion controls be damned I didn't see a single aspect of gameplay in that review supplement that couldn't have been implemented like the gameplay in Super Mario Sunshine had this game been made for other systems. Which only serves to further my belief that Warren Spectre and Disney were full of it when they told everyone this game couldn't have been made on another system.

I really was tempted by this game to finally go out and buy a Wii, but hearing how poorly handled it was thanks to simply being on the Wii it's only cemented my reasons further to not buy such a turd of a system.

I remember bring told by someone here that it would be my loss for shunning the game simply for it being on the Wii. I take no pleasure in knowing now that I was right in my belief I wasn't missing anything.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Well that's too bad, I was going to get this for my brother but I'm not sure I should now.
Is your brother one of those kids that play lego style games? Cause I'm betting that this game will still be something cool for him to play and enjoy. You will probably need to help him though.

FlyAwayAutumn

Rating: Negative Awesome
May 19, 2009
Swifteye said:
FlyAwayAutumn said:
Well that's too bad, I was going to get this for my brother but I'm not sure I should now.
Is your brother one of those kids that play lego style games? Cause I'm betting that this game will still be something cool for him to play and enjoy. You will probably need to help him though.
Well he's 25, so no. He said it looked cool and I was planning on getting it for him for christmas.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
I find this very disappointing. I was willing to overlook the fact that it was on the Wii simply because as an animation major/gamer this looked like it was right up my alley, but now I wonder if it's really worth it.

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
I am really, really sad to hear this. I was looking forward to this game so much, ever since I heard the first murmurs of "Hey, did you hear? They're making a steam-punk Mickey Mouse game." You guys remember that first concept art they released of robot-Goofy? I fell in love with that. I was going to rent a Wii so I could play this game. And I hate the Wii (and Nintendo fanboys, it's okay. It hated me first. I physically cannot hold a Wii controller because of a birth deformity in my right hand.)

I should have seen this coming. As they released more and more information about it, I wasn't too impressed, but... steam punk Disney, man. It had to be awesome. It just had to be.

But no such luck. Hell, I don't even like the art style, cutscenes or gameplay.
This is such a disappointment. =c