Review: Fable 2

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
The_Oracle post=6.74635.843546 said:
So it turns out Fable II lived up to the hype after all! Now I've seen everything.

Do any of y'all think this game is worth purchasing?
Given from what I've seen, yes. Definately if you like RPGs

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The_Oracle post=6.74635.843546 said:
So it turns out Fable II lived up to the hype after all! Now I've seen everything.

Do any of y'all think this game is worth purchasing?
Without question. It's definitely a lot more "casual" than many RPGs, but I absolutely consider that a plus in Fable 2's case. It's just very, very playable, and a lot of fun to watch, too. Albion is a beautiful place to visit, and the voice acting is absolutely fantastic, and funny. It's not a perfect game -- there are a few technical glitches and minor annoyances -- but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
The game looks absolutley amazing!
I remember playing Fable on my old Xbox and kicking chickens all day long x)

So... I'll be on my way looking for a cheap Xbox 360 now... :D

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Anyone else reading all the very good reviews for this game and still gunshy about buying it because of the letdown that was Fable 1. I mean it's only $50 but man I'm so afraid of getting burned *cough* Spore *cough*

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
The area is so large, I sometimes get lost from being so sidetracked, and I must choose the correct quest to get back on track...which is a good thing
the dog system is VERY useful, saves me time looking for loot :) and yes, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks
I like the whole "antique" gun part (in mechanism, weapon, metal)
Jobs can easily become HIGHLY rewarding

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico post=6.74635.844503 said:
This game just sounds really really boring to me.

"Buy real estate!"

"Get Married!"

"Pay a mortgage!"
"Save the world" isn't exciting enough for you?

Mastersmoo

Oct 21, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=6.74635.844503 said:
This game just sounds really really boring to me.

"Buy real estate!"

"Get Married!"

"Pay a mortgage!"
ahh the real world i hear, only thing is your forgetting kill houndreds of bad guys, or good guys depending on your mood find treasure and please/piss everyone off. surely this beats the real world, what else is an rpg for.

oh and quick question can the dog die, it might be because i wasnt reading/listining too good but i dont think anything was mentioned

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The impression that I've been getting from the review is that it isn't open-worlded (new word?) enough to satisfy people who have been spoiled by games like Grand Theft Auto and The Elder Scrolls. Some people like linearity in their games; I'm the type who prefers to screw with the clipping plane using the console and occasionally use the TCAI cheat in Oblivion just to see what I can do. I want to be able to play a game to death without so much as touching the main quest, as if said quest were nothing more than a peripheral, no different than the game's other couple hundred quests. Oblivion does that, GTA does that, Fable? It don't do that.

Fable II doesn't seem to have addressed its most significant core issue. I don't think Lionhead knows how to create a fully realized world without caving to a preconceived notion of what constitutes a game. I'll hold out for Fallout 3, thanks (and email Bethsoft for the 2500th time telling them to get some gameplay footage of the TES5 alpha where I can see it.)

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
i never did play the fist but i hope that the second will be better its just i always liked games that went on your own choices that way if it doesn't turn out good its your own fault since you turn out exactly like you would in the real world by your choice

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Nikita89 post=6.74635.843929 said:
The chicken kicking is still fantastic.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Russ Pitts post=6.74635.845480 said:
Nikita89 post=6.74635.843929 said:
The chicken kicking is still fantastic.
You're both horrible, horrible people. Poor little chickens.

Georgie2x4

Oct 1, 2008
The quote at the end made me laugh :)

Probably my most anticipated game of the year, I loved the first Fable and have been dying for Fable 2. Then again I'm a huge RPG fanboy :( gonna pick it up at the weekend and hopefully it will live up to my expectations!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
So, If I absolutely loved the original (mainly due to me being unaware of Molyneux's existence beforehand), how am I going to feel with this game?

Because this review seems to be coming from people who deem the prequel mediocre.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I've not got Fable 2 yet (its released tomorrow here) and this is the first review I've read/watched from the escapist outside of Yahtzee's reviews.

Firstly, Fable 2 does look great and Susan's words do suggest it'll be a great game when I get my paws on it.

Anyway, the review itself was a good, well written piece, and the 'Who's a good doggie' but made me smile. Looking forward to both Fable 2 and future reviews from you!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lord Krunk post=6.74635.846747 said:
So, If I absolutely loved the original (mainly due to me being unaware of Molyneux's existence beforehand), how am I going to feel with this game?

Because this review seems to be coming from people who deem the prequel mediocre.
Actually, I loved the first one. I completely ignored all the pre-release info about it, and as a result, wasn't the least bit disappointed by it. If you enjoyed the first one, trust me, you will be thrilled with Fable 2.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt post=6.74635.847253 said:
Lord Krunk post=6.74635.846747 said:

Actually, I loved the first one. I completely ignored all the pre-release info about it, and as a result, wasn't the least bit disappointed by it. If you enjoyed the first one, trust me, you will be thrilled with Fable 2.
Same here, actually - although I knew of Molyneux from before