Review: Fable 2

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Susan Arendt post=6.74635.841917 said:
There are both good and evil choices present (and yes, your dog will change just as you do), but there are also pure and corrupt choices. Eating meat, for example, is corrupt, because that meat was once a happy little chicken or big-eyed cow, or whatever. Going the vegetarian route is more pure, as is not drinking alcohol. So you can be a good but corrupt person, or an evil yet pure one.
Awesome news with the dog, but as for the meat thing? So if I go down to the pub and have a healthy diet of meat, you'll grow horns and have the grass cower in your presents?!

EDIT

A reread, made me realise it's another thing together. So what outcomes are corrupt and pure as oppossed to Good and Evil?

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
I think my favorite part of the video review was the praise for the bread crumb trail and the other features that help to establish your progress in case you haven't played for a while. I remember this concern from "The Long and Short of RPGs" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/5242-Context-Sensitive-The-Long-and-Short-of-RPGs]

I'll let you know how far I get into the game before I inexplicably stop.

Oh! And I guess when I start up again, I'll be rich!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Tenmar post=6.74635.841983 said:
Great job with the video but I'm curious Susan Arendt, to capture your footage did you make it yourself via video capture card(Dazzle, Blackmagic, etc) or did you just go with game trailers and other video game footage available?
That is my very own character and my very own character's dog, complete with pink collar (which is supposed to help with ranged attacks, just FYI.)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion post=6.74635.842219 said:
So Fable II delivered enough on what it promised to impress you--that's good! Now I just have to wait for you folks to review F3 to decide which timesink to install in my living room first.
Meet us here this time next week, and all shall be revealed.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
unangbangkay post=6.74635.842618 said:
_Nocturnal post=6.74635.841098 said:
I like.
Everything besides the fact it's not yet on PC, that is.
That's right, dammit! Port it already, MS! You know you want to!
I'd give it 6-12 months. I enjoyed fable on the PC, perhaps because I didn't know much about it apart from what a few of the Xbox tards kept babbling about before its release.

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
smallharmlesskitten post=6.74635.842833 said:
You found a Tuna underground

WHAT THE F***
Heh.

So if it supposedly goes out on PC, will there still be online coop? If there is, getting revenge on a consoletard of a friend I have will make me smile demonicly.

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
PurpleRain post=6.74635.841932 said:
So what outcomes are corrupt and pure as oppossed to Good and Evil?
I read about this the other day;

Good and Evil are far more about how you wish to be seen - you can commit good deeds all around because you wish to be loved, but this is not a particularly great way of testing your morals.

The Corrupt and Pure mechanic is much more about the actual morals; the example I was given is that this fair maiden is about to be cursed by a witch, removing her beauty with many scars across her entire body. You have time to jump into the path of this, taking the curse yourself, or you can stand and watch.

Obviously the Pure thing to do is to sacrifice your own looks to spare the gal in distress, but not many people want their character to turn into Freddy Krueger.

So this is a genuine, moral choice - not about how you wish to be seen, but about the actual morals of your character.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
I was worried, because a lot of reviewer websites say that the game doesn't quite live up to it. But now that I've read what Escapist has had to say, I'm definetely getting this.

aegis7

Jun 20, 2007
I'm very glad to hear the combat was better when you approached it from the beginning. And it was very strange to hear a direct apology to Peter M., but that was also quite ... awesome. I'm very surprised that he directly contacted you. Cheers, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the game.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Based on all the reviews I've been seeing, I stopped and bought the game on the way home from work last night. I was planning on holding off until post-Fallout 3, but I am weak and caved.

I played for a few hours, and so far have really enjoyed it. My main complaint from Fable, the constant loading screens, is well addressed. There's still some loading, but it's far far less frequent, and the explorable 'zones' are quite large.

The dog is a brilliant mechanic, helping find treasure chests as well as buried caches. Particularly because the treasure chests have a tendency to blend into the world even if they're in relatively plain sight. Chests outdoors in the woods, for example, frequently have vines growing up over them.

And the combat, at least as much as I've experienced, is quite entertaining. It's 'hero quality' actually reminds me a bit of Crackdown, though without the leaping over tall buildings part. I'm a sword-swinging, pistol-shooting, tornado-throwing badass. I haven't gotten to any of the 'second-level' combat techniques though.

Overall I've been impressed - I was rather neutral on Fable, but Fable II feels like a significantly improved game after a few hours of play.

Also, I tried to give Landslide an Assassin Coat over Xbox Live - co-op is definitely in - but I think he was still in the child/tutorial stage and couldn't accept. I'll probably try jumping into co-op tonight just to see how it works.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Only had a couple of hours on it so far, but I'm enjoying myself. It's casual but interesting. I can see myself playing it through over and over, something I can't say for any other title from this generation of gaming so far. Even my wife is interested and she hates RPGs.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
So it turns out Fable II lived up to the hype after all! Now I've seen everything.

Do any of y'all think this game is worth purchasing?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Thank christ, I was hoping so much that this game would be awesome as its been hyped up to be. Getting it friday, can't wait :p

titaniumwombat

Oct 17, 2008
Hmm...this spell casting thing concerns me. But, given all the pros, I'll not let this one issue push me off.