Review: Fable 3

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

It's time for a revolution in Fable's Albion. Chicken kicking optional.

Read Full Article

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
WOW, way to post a review at the closing bell...

Or is this the lifting of the press blackout? It's 12 am where you guys are isn't it?

Anyway, I may pick this up as it seem to be the first Fable (for me anyway) that looks worth playing.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Great always technical issues that drag the score down. I'll buy it anyways.

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
Goddammit why can't this come out for PS3?!?! Or I win the lottery so I can buy a 360 and/or a better computer.....actually I'd prefer that one, I need money.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Well if bugs are your only concern, then I'm really looking forward to this game when it comes out for PC. Hooray for near-constant patches!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
It sounds like fun. Too bad I can't play it because the dipshit developers are withholding the PC version most likely for shits and giggles. At the very least with how long it's delayed the PC version better have virtually no glithes or else I will personally deliver a savage beating to everyone associated with the game.

Big_H

Mar 23, 2009
Did Fable 2 ever come out for the PC? I enjoyed Fable: TLC, but was never able to find Fable 2. I see Fable 3 is up for pre-order on Amazon, so hopefully we'll see it eventually.

Interesting review to be sure.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
How bad are the bugs compared to Fallout New Vegas? I just find it crazy how these big mainstream titles have bugs and are for consoles. Bugs are more annoying on the 360 than other systems as well because you never know when it could be a hint of something like the RROD... Seriously, Fallout New Vegas froze on me multiple times which I don't mind except for the fact I'm always afraid maybe it may be something wrong with the console...

Since I bought F:NV going to be playing that for a while. Hopefully by the time I rent or buy Fable 3 (for probably 20 or 30 bucks), most of the bugs would be patched.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, between this and Fallout: New Vegas we're seeing a disturbing trend in the Good Game to Bugs ratio.

Still, it's nice to know that the Fable series is getting better with each iteration.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
Well if bugs are your only concern, then I'm rally looking forward to this game when it comes out for PC. Hooray for near-constant patches!
This. I was quite disappointed, yet thrilled with Fable: The Lost Chapters, and hope that this will kill my disappointments.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sweet, (bugs not withstanding) it looks like a great game. My CE should come in the mail on Wednesday, YAY!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I WILL play this when it's released on PC. I really enjoyed the previous Fables and saying that this one is the best yet, it's an obvious must buy for me. I hope these issues doesn't rear their ugly heads in the PC port.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
This is why Susan is my favorite reviewer. She's to the point and analytical, but can still be funny as hell when she wants.

Thinking I might rent this one. Just to see. The co-op is going to be a big thing for me, so I'm sad it wasn't online for the review. Ah well.

RatRace123

Dec 1, 2009
I just got done with a Fable 2 grind session, so I'm pretty well equipped to deal with any bugs that I find. The ones in Fable 2 were annoying, but not game breaking, and if Fable 3 is better, with the same bugs and hopefully not new ones, then I'm still glad I pre-ordered it.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I was going to pick this up Friday anyway but it's good to know I wasn't wrong about buying it, it looks brilliant. Thank you for the great review!

OriginalityImpaired

Oct 19, 2010
Hmm, I never really liked Fable,
I've played both of course, but it never really sucked me in, it was just good enough to finish the game, from a "why not" perspective,
However this one (partially based on this review) looks interesting enough to warrant a play (I was originally going to skip it), although only because my brother will be getting it, not worth 10 bucks for me atm

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I'm certainly in no hurry after they hit me in the face with the boredom of Fable 2.

It seems more or less the old formula, except that odd gauntlet - spell thing, why can't they just stick with a formula that works...
And the houses, clothes and people relations... I couldn't care less, if I wanted to play the Sims then I would just do that, here's hoping these are not essential to the game progression.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
I have been waiting for that one game that's worth buying a 360 for. I have passed up several that I want to play and a few that I really want to play, but I *must* play Fable 3.
Endocrom said:
Unless your name is what?
Beeblebrox [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaphod_Beeblebrox]

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I really wish this would come out for the PS3.

I'm considering getting this just because it has so many awesome voice actors in it.

John Clease, Simon Pegg, Ben Kingsly and Stephen Fry?

I might faint ^-^

Saboten

Sep 13, 2010
Is it just me or does it look like they brought back the mana-less spell casting...? God, I hated that system before, I don't think my opinion will change... Though spell weaving looks pretty dang cool

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
Really loved the hitchhikers guide reference with the gauntlets haha

yeah, looking forward to the game, though im flat broke from new vegas ]:

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I've always wanted to play the Fable series. *Dam my rampant Sony fanboyism*
Someone enjoy it for me please.

[small]Nice hitchhikers reference by the by![/small]

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Really, they decided to bring back Fable 1's "Giant area of destruction" spell that you ca upgrade until you don't need anything else in the game.

Warnolo

Apr 30, 2010
I'm waiting it patiently to pc.

By the way, any owner can tell me if you can still bulk your hero?

Or how morphing your weapon works?

Dec 14, 2009
Anyone know if decisions from Fable 2 effect Fable 3? It's just that I lost some of my save data and I can't be arsed to play through Fable 2 again.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Is this coming out on Pc? Will i get this game?

The answers are the same for both questions... sadly.

EDIT: after doing some reaserch I have found out that it is, just microsoft have no realse date for it.

Would love for this to come out on PC. Some of us liked the Fable 1 port.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
I WANT IT NAO!!!

Why did I buy the PC version?

Oh yeah, because I don't have an Xbox...

EDIT: Oh and Susan, you spelled Balverine wrong.

alfrodul

Mar 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Susan Arendt just might kick Peter Molyneux in the shins the next time she sees him.

Read Full Article
Hah! Considering it's Susan... if the Escapist interviews Molyneux in the near future, I want it on video.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I feel like the only person that hated Fable 2. The whole game felt like a thinly veiled fetch quest. For a game that allows such customization of character, you had to follow the rigid confusing story the way they wanted you to.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Big_H said:
Did Fable 2 ever come out for the PC? I enjoyed Fable: TLC, but was never able to find Fable 2. I see Fable 3 is up for pre-order on Amazon, so hopefully we'll see it eventually.
Nope, it never surfaced, just like a lot of MGS titles - GoW2(+3), Halo 3(+ODST & Reach), the sequels to Viva Pinata and a couple of others.

That's probably the most positive review I've seen of Fable 3. Like a lot of others here, I'm waiting for the PC version to surface. After D.Toid and Kotaku's reviews, I'm more enthusiastic, but I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as I was pre-reviews.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
Elementlmage said:
WOW, way to post a review at the closing bell...

Or is this the lifting of the press blackout? It's 12 am where you guys are isn't it?
We schedule most content that gets posted at exact times in advance, so we don't actually have to be awake to press the button. I'm pretty sure the embargo on reviews was lifted at midnight.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

It's time for a revolution in Fable's Albion. Chicken kicking optional.

Read Full Article
But do I get to avenge the chicken? WHAT ABOUT CHICKEN?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Warnolo said:

If you stick to melee weapons, you'll get brawny. (Magic makes you glow and ranged weapons make you tall. Because, you know, that totally makes sense.) Eating the wrong kinds of food will make you fat, while sticking to the good stuff will slim you down.

As for morphing your weapon, it changes based on how you play the game. Stuff like the kinds of things you kill, at what time of day, if you open a lot of chests, buy a lot of real estate - probably if you get a lot of spouses or children, too. While the ordinary weapons will tell you what you need to do in order to upgrade them, what happens to your Hero weapons is a surprise.

Daystar Clarion said:
Anyone know if decisions from Fable 2 effect Fable 3? It's just that I lost some of my save data and I can't be arsed to play through Fable 2 again.
The only obvious thing I noticed was that the game correctly identified the gender of my Hero from Fable 2, making references to "my mother" and "the queen." There are definitely some shout outs to events from Fable 2, though - if you played that game, you'll definitely recognize some characters and situations. But I wouldn't worry about redoing your saves, I don't think it has much actual bearing on Fable 3.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, but to be entirely honest I like being a wizard in fantasy games and I am not too fond of the idea of spellcasting being item based (potions, gauntlets) as opposed to knowlege and innate-abillity based.

It's a conceptual thing, and I guess a small complaint, and I gues it says something if that's the only real gripe I can find after that review.

At any rate my collector's edition is still en-route from Amazon.com, we'll see when it eventually gets here.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
pneuma08 said:
Yeah, between this and Fallout: New Vegas we're seeing a disturbing trend in the Good Game to Bugs ratio.

Still, it's nice to know that the Fable series is getting better with each iteration.
Bugs in New Vegas? Are you playing it on the console? I'm about 40hrs in in the PC version and I haven't come across any bugs thus far..aside from the occasional silly AI walking into walls and such.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Really enjoyed this review. I was pretty sure I was going to buy it before, but this has kinda helped clarify some of the average tasks and quests you go on and just makes me want it more.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
I'll be all over this one tonight...I don't expect I'll be getting much sleep over the next few weeks.

Warnolo

Apr 30, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:

If you stick to melee weapons, you'll get brawny. (Magic makes you glow and ranged weapons make you tall. Because, you know, that totally makes sense.) Eating the wrong kinds of food will make you fat, while sticking to the good stuff will slim you down.

As for morphing your weapon, it changes based on how you play the game. Stuff like the kinds of things you kill, at what time of day, if you open a lot of chests, buy a lot of real estate - probably if you get a lot of spouses or children, too. While the ordinary weapons will tell you what you need to do in order to upgrade them, what happens to your Hero weapons is a surprise.
Well, i'm curious about the weapon morphing because i dont know if you only can upgrade some weapons IF they had that option. I mean, it will have a Balverine rune if you kill X Balverines, it will have diamons if you get X gold, and things like that.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
best fable yet huh? I don't think it will be better then fable: tlc but I will still buy it.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Dash85 said:
Goddammit why can't this come out for PS3?!?! Or I win the lottery so I can buy a 360 and/or a better computer.....actually I'd prefer that one, I need money.
No luck here :( I've a monster computer, and I still can't play the game on account of Peter M. not releasing the game for the PC, yet. The release date has been further pushed back to Nov 3rd.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Warnolo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:

Well, i'm curious about the weapon morphing because i dont know if you only can upgrade some weapons IF they had that option. I mean, it will have a Balverine rune if you kill X Balverines, it will have diamons if you get X gold, and things like that.
The weapons you buy have specific criteria. The Casanova, for example, wants you to kill ugly things, while the Slimquick will make you thinner with each strike. As for your Hero weapons, as far as I know, the same criteria apply to all of them. But you also have to use them. If you kill 300 hobbes with your pistol, for example, your sword doesn't get credit for your having killed 300 hobbes, the pistol does.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Fable 3 is the best Fable yet?

I cannot wait to pick this up for my girlfriend after work - she absolutely adored the 2nd game (she still plays it regularly, what, 3 years after it was released and countless play-throughs).

If the story is as good as it sounds like it is, then I might even play through it this time too.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I can handle a few bugs. So long as they don't completely break the game then all is well.

The new system for making friends does seem a bit tedious though. You mean I can't just fart and chicken dance my way to popularity any more? That was, like 90% of Fable 2 for me.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
If you can collect guild seals, does that mean that the Heroes' Guild is back?

Big_H said:
Did Fable 2 ever come out for the PC? I enjoyed Fable: TLC, but was never able to find Fable 2.
No, it didn't. I was not happy with Microsoft when they did that to us.

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
Holy shit, that actually looks... fun!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!
Molyneux finally did something fairly right!

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I'll have to pick this up once I get money again. Recent purchase of a new car is really bringing me down. Hopefully I'll see Albion sooner rather then later.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Too bad Americans get to play this game earlier than us. We can only do so on Friday. It's fucking insane considering Lionhead is stationed in the UK - Europe. But I bet Microsoft has to do with this, but we have Fable III: Kingmaker app.

Susan Arendt said:
Susan, this one is for you. How easy is it to make money in this game? I am using the Kingmaker App to generate good amount of gold before I hit the game but money-making in Fable II was so tedious that I resorted to the rent cheat/glitch to enjoy the game.

So are the jobs satifsying and entertaining to do? Does Questing generate money as well? Please let me know, because that's the only negative aspect of Fable that irks me.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
GAH!! Why did they want to realease the pc version later?!

Anyways i am so looking forward to this...I want it to PC NOW!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Krantos said:
This is why Susan is my favorite reviewer. She's to the point and analytical, but can still be funny as hell when she wants.

Thinking I might rent this one. Just to see. The co-op is going to be a big thing for me, so I'm sad it wasn't online for the review. Ah well.
Well I haven't played the Co-op yet, but it isn't like Fable 2. The screens aren't tethered to each other anymore (you can both go w/e direction) and you don't play some generic henchman, just your own character.

Sounds cool. I knew Fable 3 wouldn't be perfect but TBH people ask wayyyyy too much of the franchise, it's a looking great game and I'll definitely check it out.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
God i cannot wait to get this game. My pre-ordered copy got dispatched yesterday :D

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
The Fable series has had good voice acting? Where was I for this?
Yeah sure the audio quality was quite good but then again if I hear static/crackle/background noises in the audio of a video game now a days I consider it my right to go over to the development studio and smack some people about the head.
I swear if I hear another citizen of Albion talk in a stereotypical english accent I will take the safety off my flintlock and start spraying into crowds of shoppers at the port town's obligatory fish market.
Steven Fry and Zoe Wanamaker are of course the exceptions but the person who did the voice of Hamma needs to go away.
At work me and a friend immitate that type of voice to take the piss and sound as stupid as possible.

"Oi reckon there are a gang of 'obbs down the ol' mine!"

Sigh.
This is why I say that I am Scotish rather than British.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
I recall my very first experience with Fable. A guy staying in the same barracks as I, called me over with the excited "Dude, watch this." in which he proceeded to boot chickens, laughing with gleeful abandon for probably 10 minutes.

He drank alot, too... but whatever.

Whiskey Echo!!
mythgraven

swooshmeister

Oct 26, 2010
Fable 3 seemed much shorter and easier than Fable 2 to me. The actors that portrayed the characters made the game worthwhile and story was truly superb though kinda outlandish...(weird alien invasion force bent on om-nomming your soul) It's like I heard somewhere before. Nevertheless this game was a pleasant experience.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Straying Bullet said:
Too bad Americans get to play this game earlier than us. We can only do so on Friday. It's fucking insane considering Lionhead is stationed in the UK - Europe. But I bet Microsoft has to do with this, but we have Fable III: Kingmaker app.

Susan Arendt said:
Susan, this one is for you. How easy is it to make money in this game? I am using the Kingmaker App to generate good amount of gold before I hit the game but money-making in Fable II was so tedious that I resorted to the rent cheat/glitch to enjoy the game.

So are the jobs satifsying and entertaining to do? Does Questing generate money as well? Please let me know, because that's the only negative aspect of Fable that irks me.
Ah, I'm glad you brought this up. It is ungodly easy to make loads of money in Fable 3, so long as you're willing to put in a little effort. Start off with a job, then upgrade that job on the Road to Rule. That will earn you more money for every task you complete - every sword you make as a blacksmith, for example. Once you've got a bit of cash from that, start buying up real estate and watch the cash roll in. You'll have to keep houses in good repair, which costs money, and you need to spend guild seals to unlock the Landlord and Entrepreneur bundles, which let you buy houses and businesses, but it's a sure thing.

swooshmeister

Oct 26, 2010
What I hated with the whole money gathering was that even though I did what was asked of me as a ''good'' king I did and I still was feared and hated.Why? Because I set the rent to high which is +1 to normal. Pure logic dictates that when you live in luxury and everything is beyond hunky-dorey you set the rent,charging fees appropiately. Ungrateful peasants to be honest:)

You have loads of chances to receive high amounts of gold which should be invested in buying and renting buildings. So you don't have to ''work'' per say to get rich.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Not this time Pete.

You fooled me twice, but I am not falling for your shenanigans a third time.

Do'h, why did LBP 2 have to be delayed? I need my "new game" fix.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Spent almost all last night playing it after midnight release. I did notice a little bugginess but it was nothing game-breaking for me. It's weird actually like, warping to your sanctuary to swap weapons and such, but sometimes depending on what I'm doing I feel like I could have gotten to a particular weapon or clothing faster in a menu. At least the sanctuary has no load time - it's pretty much instantaneous.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Alright picked up the game today, haven't played much due to school obligations, but there is one thing I noticed right off the bat. We have a voiced protagonist this round and that just surprised me at first. I'm liking it so far, hope that's an indication on a good game overall

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
May 27, 2020
Country
Ireland
"Many of these are the same problems that plagued Fable 2"

Funny.I bought Fable 2 on launch day and never encountered any of these bugs you mentioned and I played through the game multiple times

Anyway looking forward to this.Got the Collector's Edition pre-ordered so roll on Friday

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Sounds like I got to buy fable two if I want to make use of that whole descendent perk thing. I've always wanted to buy the fable games so I think i'll wait till this game gets afforadable and I am buying it. Yahtzee is going to review it but he will probably like it as much as he liked the other two which wasn't by very much.

LordLoudmouth

Dec 29, 2009
But if you´re name happens to be Beeblebrox, you would be able to wear 2 chicken helmets and kill your enemies by making them feel like their brains were being smashed with lemon wrapped around a gold bar

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
My friend is like a badly trained parrot, he always talks about the new fable III...now i know why.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I loved Fable 1 but could never play Fable 2 because I don't own a xbox360. So I'm really happy that it's going to be released for the PC aswell and if it's as fun as Fable 1, I won't regret buying it.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
An improvement over Fable 2 it seems. Nice.

The biggest turn off in Fable 2 for me was the story/atmosphere/npcs. NPCS/milieu seem to have similar problems as before (according to IGN's review). With that said, Fable 3 looks like it deserves a chance for sure. Let's see if Fable 1 can get topped!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
hope this arrives in the morning, looking forward to this all year!

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
If you use hammers you bulk up a bit but not to the HULK SMASH extent that was in fable 2

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
Meh. I'm not gonna play this unless my brother borrows it from one of his friends, and even then, I probably won't play much of it. The first Fable was fun, sure, but not memorable, for me, in the least. All I remember of it was the ending pissing me off for some reason. Fable II bored me to the point of apathy. I didn't even decide it was pissing me off too much to play anymore. I just drifted off into other games. Which is the worst thing that could be said of a work of art.

Also, Susan, epic Hitchhiker's reference.

Chris 'Chaos' Voce

Oct 3, 2010
You know I might just now start playing this game serious just because of the magic
Is-Is that lightning shooting out fire waves?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Straying Bullet said:

Susan Arendt said:

Ah, I'm glad you brought this up. It is ungodly easy to make loads of money in Fable 3, so long as you're willing to put in a little effort. Start off with a job, then upgrade that job on the Road to Rule. That will earn you more money for every task you complete - every sword you make as a blacksmith, for example. Once you've got a bit of cash from that, start buying up real estate and watch the cash roll in. You'll have to keep houses in good repair, which costs money, and you need to spend guild seals to unlock the Landlord and Entrepreneur bundles, which let you buy houses and businesses, but it's a sure thing.
Perfect. Sounds how I like it. Shouldn't be too much trouble, already send my girlfriend her merry way to already gather some kind of revenue/income so we can just own stores/rent houses together to make sure we don't get shafted when the King section is popping up, I heard it can cause alot of ruckus when you go into it without money on your own.

But glad to hear this and appreciated for the feedback!

Tyrrax

Oct 2, 2010
So does this one also have the 360 view of the falling piece of bird crap?

Seriously, I'm gonna wait on this one. Fable 2 was good enough reason to blackball Molyneux for life.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Literally got my copy five minutes ago! Once I've finished eating some grub I'm going to sit down and enjoy me some Fable III.

Stoked to hear (read) that Susan's given it a 4/5. ^^

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
Hmmm. I read another review that said that if your character hasn't accrued enough money by a certain part of the main storyline then you can't continue on with the main story. Can anyone confirm/deny?

gally912

Mar 7, 2010
How is having the sanctuary any more intuitive, easier, or less time consuming than the pause menu? I read that and said "Oh great, now I have to walk just to change my clothes"

magma

Jul 21, 2010
swooshmeister said:
Fable 3 seemed much shorter and easier than Fable 2 to me. The actors that portrayed the characters made the game worthwhile and story was truly superb though kinda outlandish...(weird alien invasion force bent on om-nomming your soul) It's like I heard somewhere before. Nevertheless this game was a pleasant experience.
But Fable 2 was already MUCH shorter and easier than Fable.... Are there fewer boss fights as well? The lack of real bosses (no, the fucking golems don't count, the golems were colour swappable filler) was the most disappointing aspect about Fable 2 for me, which didn't help the greater repetition, the empty ending and the fewer real challenges.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Great and funny review, I'm picking my limited edition Fable 3 up at the post office tomorrow along with my limited edition Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2.

swooshmeister said:
I'm very tempted to call bull, on this. But since I haven't played it yet. How have you played the whole game already. It came out only 12-13 hours before your post. If you actually did, I would guess that you played the game straight through without doing any side quests or anything.

I easily put 30 or more hours into Fable 2, before I even beat it, then got at least 40 more to finish up most of the achievements, and I haven't done a second or third play through like most of my friends, and they did the same thing I did with all their play throughs, so that is about 200 hours. So I highly doubt you did anything more than the main story, which in my opinion is not really playing the whole game. What makes Fable, Fable, is the world and experiencing and living in it.

I don't get people that just play the main story of the game and that's it. The reason you came out disappointed with the length is that you didn't play the whole experience; if that is the case, it isn't the game makers fault.

I'm going to keep an open mind, I just bet I will get just as much game play as I did with Fable 2.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
magmayoshi said:
swooshmeister said:
But Fable 2 was already MUCH shorter and easier than Fable.... Are there fewer boss fights as well? The lack of real bosses (no, the fucking golems don't count, the golems were colour swappable filler) was the most disappointing aspect about Fable 2 for me, which didn't help the greater repetition, the empty ending and the fewer real challenges.
Don't worry, I highly doubt he played the whole game. Think, the game only came out 12-13 hours before he made the post. It's obvious he just did the story. It is his fault for just doing the main story and not doing any side missions.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
swooshmeister said:
Well if you actually wanna know I played the pirated version which came out on the 24th...It took me 24 hours to finish it:)
lol, Pirated. That won't end well for you here if it is true. But in reality, I smell a troll.

If you did play, then your 24 will be 40 at least for me.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
ZOMG because America didn't have it he mustn't have played it!

For once Australians didn't get shafted and we've had it longer than you think. Of course, normally we get it 2-3 months after but oh no the bloody UK sooks have to complain they get it a week after. Boo hoo!

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
rapidoud said:
ZOMG because America didn't have it he mustn't have played it!

For once Australians didn't get shafted and we've had it longer than you think. Of course, normally we get it 2-3 months after but oh no the bloody UK sooks have to complain they get it a week after. Boo hoo!
Since America did get it first, that is why I questioned the 12 hours. That really isn't what I was getting at. Now that he said he had a pirated copy, I lose all respect for him. Pirates have to be stopped.

swooshmeister

Oct 26, 2010
Did you ever think that possibly in my country an xbox game is worth a whole months salary?I'm not going to throw my money away to buy something I'm not sure of wanting.I'm not being a troll so please don't start with the insults.I mainly said my opinion about the game and how I finished it.If you don't wanna believe me that's your problem.:)

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
swooshmeister said:
Did you ever think that possibly in my country an xbox game is worth a whole months salary?I'm not going to throw my money away to buy something I'm not sure of wanting.I'm not being a troll so please don't start with the insults.I mainly said my opinion about the game and how I finished it.If you don't wanna believe me that's your problem.:)
Sorry I implied you were a troll. But my stance on the matter still remains about pirating. It is actually one of the reason games get more and more expensive. It is also the reason game companies put more and more DRM on PC games to try and foil pirates, which in-turn makes them more expensive.

Yes I feel sorry for you that that a game in your country would set you back that much money, but you have to consider the ramifications that pirating has on the industry.

Yes it isn't as bad in the US, but at my old job a few years ago, the cost of one game these days, would be at least a 5th of a months pay, but then I have to factor in loads of other expenses, I still have to decide what games I will get in a year.

A great year, like this year: 4 games
A good year 2
A bad year: 1

1 game a year is usually because I get money from relatives on holidays.

magma

Jul 21, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
magmayoshi said:
swooshmeister said:
Don't worry, I highly doubt he played the whole game. Think, the game only came out 12-13 hours before he made the post. It's obvious he just did the story. It is his fault for just doing the main story and not doing any side missions.
You can blaze through Fable 2 and all it's side missions first try in a hell of a lot less time as the 1st Fable. Hell the main story in Fable 2 could be completed in a very short amount of time (a lot less than 11-12 hours) if you played the first and the actual interesting side-quests of Fable 2 had obvious tells. So I will not call shenanigans on the amount of play unless the poster admits to it.

And this is all assuming that the official release date stopped legal or illegal shenanigans from occurring.

Edit: So... yeah. Eh-hem since I responded before seeing swoosh's responses I will add: is it really that bloody short swoosh? But more importantly is it better in the bosses and characters department like Fable one?

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
magmayoshi said:
You can blaze through Fable 2 and all it's side missions first try in a hell of a lot less time as the 1st Fable. Hell the main story in Fable 2 could be completed in a very short amount of time (a lot less than 11-12 hours) if you played the first and the actual interesting side-quests of Fable 2 had obvious tells. So I will not call shenanigans on the amount of play unless the poster admits to it.

And this is all assuming that the official release date stopped legal or illegal shenanigans from occurring.

Edit: So... yeah. Eh-hem since I responded before seeing swoosh's responses I will add: is it really that bloody short swoosh? But more importantly is it better in the bosses and characters department like Fable one?
My problem is that I played Fable 2 before Fable 1. I tried to play Fable 1 but for some reason, I couldn't get into it. But that was mostly in part because I downloaded it off of the Xbox live marketplace. It had the glitchest save system. I would play for a couple hours, save, and then when I would come back, it would be the save that came before the latest save. So, I had to save many many times, so I at least only had to redo only 10 minutes or so of what I had done last time. If I find the time, will go back and try and actually beat it.

magma

Jul 21, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
magmayoshi said:

My problem is that I played Fable 2 before Fable 1. I tried to play Fable 1 but for some reason, I couldn't get into it. But that was mostly in part because I downloaded it off of the Xbox live marketplace. It had the glitchest save system. I would play for a couple hours, save, and then when I would come back, it would be the save that came before the latest save. So, I had to save many many times, so I at least only had to redo only 10 minutes or so of what I had done last time. If I find the time, will go back and try and actually beat it.
A crippled save system can ruin any game; your problem wasn't that you played them in that order, the problem was you had to deal with a broken version. I played the first Fable on my craptop, never had any issues and enjoyed it on the lowest settings much more than Fable 2.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
I thought fable 2 was an ok game, I did enjoy it when I played it but I never thought yes I will go back and re play it.

I just cant get excited about this game, there are too many other games I want to get and i just dont want to spend £40 on this game. Maybe when it comes down in price in a few months I might consider it if im bored.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
I WANT HAS PLAY!!!! it kindof sucks that when you preorder the game to get the content, it comes later than it would if I went to a store and bought it. it defeats the point, but i wanted the extras. Even then though, I had to pay for it in shipping. it looks so gooood

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
No innovation really it's just fable 2 but then in a different era that's all I see here nothing special nothing brilliant

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
Big_H said:

Interesting review to be sure.
Fable: TLC came out for PC. Fable 2 didn't, for numerous reasons. But fortunately they're bringing the third one to the PC, so happy us! :D

Great review, btw.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Whats the map size like compared to the other two?
I hope its bigger than tlc.

Hexador

Dec 28, 2007
Wow... the new look for the game is awesome, I like it alot more than the cartooney graphics from the first and second game.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
.... I'm still not going to play it. People claimed Fable 2 was terrific as well, it basically won G4's game of the year.

and it was terribad.

no, even with praise, this one is one I'm going to miss for now.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Thank you for the great review Susan.

My wife asked me for gift ideas for my birthday this year (she gets me clothes if I don't give her any) and I said Fable III. All the news I was hearing about it was pretty negative till your review so thank you very much for easing my mind:)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
If only the combat had been decent and atleast somewhat challenging, this could have been a decent game.
What a waste.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
archvile93 said:
It sounds like fun. Too bad I can't play it because the dipshit developers are withholding the PC version most likely for shits and giggles. At the very least with how long it's delayed the PC version better have virtually no glithes or else I will personally deliver a savage beating to everyone associated with the game.
I love gamers who want a game and insult/threaten the developers. Its like going to subway and spitting them in the face as they make you a sandwich. I realize I'm one of the first to hate on developers, but that's generally when they make a shitty game, not a good one that you can't play because they're holding it to get some more money in or want to polish it up a bit (both of which are perfectly justified).

Maybe you didn't mean it that way or were just on edge, if not I suggest you chill, lest the gift horse bite your damn head off. =/

Anyway, on topic. This looks to me like what Fable 2 should have been and as a (mainly) PC gamer I too'll be looking forward to seeing when it releases, preferably with a demo to give it a try.

(That's right, "I tool")

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Damn you Molyneux, what happened to releasing an ENGLISH MADE GAME in ENGLAND first!?

Also...ADD A DAMN CAT, I don't want a dog, I wanna be an evil king and have a cat to stroke as I roast people, yes I'm a stereotypical evil villian...just make it be you!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Ghaaa... I got the game a few hours ago and have to wait a day. Can't stand the voices Lionhead used for dubbing and considering the original cast I won't start playing until I can download the english voice track on Xbox Live tomorrow. It's got Simon Pegg, John Cleese and Ben Kingsley for crying out loud!!!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
swooshmeister said:
What I hated with the whole money gathering was that even though I did what was asked of me as a ''good'' king I did and I still was feared and hated.Why? Because I set the rent to high which is +1 to normal. Pure logic dictates that when you live in luxury and everything is beyond hunky-dorey you set the rent,charging fees appropiately. Ungrateful peasants to be honest:)

You have loads of chances to receive high amounts of gold which should be invested in buying and renting buildings. So you don't have to ''work'' per say to get rich.
I thought you had said a spoiler there...sorry

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
No, not really.

I kind of rushed through for my first playthrough, and didn't do too much side stuff, but from what I saw, you're good to go. ^^

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Warnolo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:

Just to let you know what DOES happen when you kill enough wolves/balverines with your hero sword:

The weapon turns black and silver, with a wolf's head for the divider of the handle and the blade. Looks pretty boss, but sucks if you wanted a holy looking Hero, like I did.

Deylin

Oct 22, 2010
Bought the game today and so far I agree with what the review stated. Though I feel like the movement is a bit clunky and sometimes when i want to shoot or throw a fireball at an enemy the targeting system wants to target my dog. Overall a good game and indeed the best Fable title to date.

Warnolo

Apr 30, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
Warnolo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:

Just to let you know what DOES happen when you kill enough wolves/balverines with your hero sword:

The weapon turns black and silver, with a wolf's head for the divider of the handle and the blade. Looks pretty boss, but sucks if you wanted a holy looking Hero, like I did.
:O

I WANT THAT!

Knytemare

Aug 28, 2009
I don't get the hitchhikers ref, Zaphod has two heads, but no extra hands or arms, and so would wear the same number of gauntlets as you or I.

zero_blahs

Nov 26, 2009
Just got done with my speed run and ive got to say its great I personally didnt have any trouble with bugs outside of jobs(momentary freezing) and the glowing trail disappearing/seemingly turn around. However it seems they got rid of the "troll or golem fights" kinda made me sad :( but the rest is awesome. The story Is actually a story worth playing gives some background raises some questions ect... and the sillier moments provide a stark contrast with the dark dark dark nightmare giving moments...

And to anyone who plans on playing good I warn you now stockpile cash like a fing bank robber buy shops do whatever you need lots at the end like 8million so you'll have to spend alot more time playing than if you were evil to get a good ending.
OT: overall nice review :)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
And, I'm on my second playthrough now. I'm actually looking foward to it more than my first.

zero_blahs said:
Just got done with my speed run and ive got to say its great I personally didnt have any trouble with bugs outside of jobs(momentary freezing) and the glowing trail disappearing/seemingly turn around. However it seems they got rid of the "troll or golem fights" kinda made me sad :( but the rest is awesome. The story Is actually a story worth playing gives some background raises some questions ect... and the sillier moments provide a stark contrast with the dark dark dark nightmare giving moments...
I could have sworn I saw something like "Golems Killed: 0" on the loading screen or in a menu screen or something, but I myself never saw one in my playthrough.

Susan Arendt said:
As I'm curious to see what you did in the end Susan, I shall spoiler this for everyone else:

What did you do while you were the King/Queen? Were you evil so you could save the people? Or were you good so you could make Albion better at the cost of most of the peoples lives?

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Just don't forget to save a bunch and you'll have a blast!

Plus it'll be fun to see the game's screw-ups.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Knytemare said:
I don't get the hitchhikers ref, Zaphod has two heads, but no extra hands or arms, and so would wear the same number of gauntlets as you or I.
Zaphod has three arms.

Sparrow said:
And, I'm on my second playthrough now. I'm actually looking foward to it more than my first.

zero_blahs said:
I could have sworn I saw something like "Golems Killed: 0" on the loading screen or in a menu screen or something, but I myself never saw one in my playthrough.

Susan Arendt said:
As I'm curious to see what you did in the end Susan, I shall spoiler this for everyone else:

What did you do while you were the King/Queen? Were you evil so you could save the people? Or were you good so you could make Albion better at the cost of most of the peoples lives?
The latter. I actually had a fair amount of money stockpiled, and was planning on transferring it to the treasury, but my anniversary as queen took me completely by surprise. I thought there would be more warning than there was - I went from 121 days left to 1 just like that. Ah, well. I'm known as the ruler that let the kingdom die...though the ones that survived adore me.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
It looks like...Fable, but a third one. I can understand how people can really like this game but none of the gameplay in the review struck a chord with me. It looks like it's the same damn thing as Fable 1 and 2. Good I guess if you aren't looking for anything new but bad if you are. To me it just seems like one of those games where you say "oh it's out ? noted", and continue on with your day.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
The latter. I actually had a fair amount of money stockpiled, and was planning on transferring it to the treasury, but my anniversary as queen took me completely by surprise. I thought there would be more warning than there was - I went from 121 days left to 1 just like that. Ah, well. I'm known as the ruler that let the kingdom die...though the ones that survived adore me.
I actually found out that as long as I didn't do the last thing on the list it didn't move on to the next day so I stock piled a ton of gold(about 7.5 million) and through into the treasury and then just kept going through the story without an issue. This also opened up the chest for me and gave me phat lootz (chickenbane pistol).

One though I'll add though the best combo for me has been blade + vortex, although I used shock + lightning until I could do that. Once I was saw what the combo of blade + vortex does I just proceeded to do that and one shot balverines everywhere. Plus it looks.... epic to say the least.

eac0807d1

Nov 1, 2010
I disagree with this review. I got Fable III thinking that it would be a total upgrade to what was already a good game. No, Peter again used his car salesman tactics and tricked me into buying a weak game with a slow and boring gameplay with a short, pitiful conclusion.

Yes, the Sanctuary is a fantastic idea, and I loved the organization of it. The map was "somewhat" easy to use and I loved walking into a room and seeing my gold pile up so I could piss on it and claim it as my territory.

Yes, the idea of "touch" was cool, for the first 30 minutes in, but then once I realized I didn't have the choice of how I wanted to interact and had to dance with them EVERY SINGLE time got aggravating and I just didn't give a crap anymore. I got tired of being everyone's errand boy, or taking them by their sweaty hands to a place they could have easily gotten to by using their own two legs. And if they aren't my friend because I didn't get them a sodding book, fine, I'll be friends with the next guy who looks exactly like you, except with a mustache and a whimsical hat.

The guild seals were a pretty good idea, making you earn your upgrades and getting only what you want, for me, that was magic upgrades and spells and the ability to buy a house and adopt my child after I divorced my average looking husband. But thats where I stop liking it.

The game does have a good story line, but honestly I didn't care most of the time because I was too worried about money. The battle that led up to my coronation was lame, killing soldiers easily with a small spell and then going straight to the cut scene of calmly having my brother give up the crown. Honestly, if he is such an evil guy, and wants to keep the crown so badly, I would have expected an awesome fight. Then it led to the coronation and then I was queen. That should have at least upped the games intensity by some degree. But it didn't.

For the last half of the game, I was trying to be the good queen, keeping my promises. I always like to play as a good character, but the game makes it pretty damn impossible to be flawless without being dead broke. The only way I got the funds back was from my own pocket. I left my xbox on all day just so I get a heap of money and donate it to my sorry ass kingdom for an army, which judging by the weak, short short SHORT disappointing ending, I didn't really need.

Overall, Fable III is a weak game, if you want to be "good" that is. Honestly, Peter, if you had spent more time on making the game better and not spending hours upon hours of interviewing, talking about "touch" so much, this might have been decent.

From a disappointed Fable fan,

eac0807d1

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I was knee deep in New Vegas when I picked this up. Can't stop playing it now. :) It's pretty great fun.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
eac0807d1 said:
Let me begin by saying fuck you buddy. Way to spoil what happens late in the game. Not to mention you DON'T have to go on fetch quests to be people's friends/lovers that can happen on moral standing alone, every fable game has repetitive npc interactions, and why did you even buy a game called "Fable", knowing it was centered around revolution, and not care about the story?

Also, it is VERY easy to get through the latter part of the game with a VERY large amount of money and a little surplus, just buy houses, earn rent, buy houses, earn rent, etc., if you don't have enough for a house, work for the money.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
For some reason this video is so laggy that it looks like a slide show. Everything else on the site is fine.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
This review has made me consider buying fable something I haven't done in the past due to 3 things, not having a 360 when fable was out (first I got rid of 'cus I'm an idiot) secondly abnormal bias against 360 RPG's that aren't Mass Effect/TES, and 3rdly I buy most games on my PS3

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
The initial turn-off for me in this game was the bugs. So, so many buggy buggy bugs. Seriously, young Susan is VASTLY understating how glitch-ridden this game is. Villiagers mysteriously becoming non-interactive (Including my beloved wife.), falling through geography, my character getting stuck in the floor, the dog being impaled by a fencepost on his way to a dig spot, Jasper turning into a mute, framerate randomly slowing to a viscous crawl for no good reason, and those were just the ones I experienced! I've heard of others, Create-a-villager characters being bugged-out herms. Un-exitable quests (eg. The Game, Darkness Incarnate) trapping characters, forcing a restart of the entire fragging game.

I sympathise with the difficulties faced by developers in MS games studio and the deadlines they must be subjected to, but seriously, this is all shit which should REALLY have been picked up in beta. Am I supposed to use the names under 'Testers' in your credits as a blacklist for 'Testers who couldn't find bugs on a $2 hooker's crotch with the damn hubble'?

I don't know who started this trend of 'Use the customer for free Beta then rush out a patch' but it really needs to stop. The aussie dollar is at parity with the greenback and we are still paying $100 for a new release game (with our nearest region partner, hong kong paying a third of that, what gives eh?), and it's 12+ months before that price appreciably lowers. We're not talking goddamn 20c arcade money any more, devs.

Secondly, I think Susan did mention it in the Review, but all the stuff that falls under 'You really should have learned this from fable 2.'

Expressions have been vastly improved, but now there's no choice in the matter. The most appropriate 'starter' emote was the one you start the game with. The Handshake. Not 2 levels up and suddenly I'm fucking Swayze and Baby has a beard with every random person I see.

Progeny is STILL thrown through the random villiager creator, 2 Albionite upper class characters can birth an Auroran/Samarkandian kid in rags. (White parents, black baby, worded to avoid knee jerk pc apoplexy)

Breadcrumb trail. Still broken.

Meat still makes you fat. Whoever the peta member is on the board of Lionhead needs to GTFO.

End boss fight...
At least we get more than one hit in on him this time.

Thirdly, the plain ODD design and implementation of features.

You are expected to metagame and powerlevel straight out of the gate. It is at no stage hinted that you are expected to amass a fortune that would have rendered money completely useless in fable 2 if you want to go paragon. There is no such thing as an 'organic' playthrough. You are literally expected to look for ways to 'play the system' from day 1 of your rule, and as Yahtzee pointed out, immersion in a world can be said to be completely absent when you are that aware you are 'playing a game'.

I REALLY wanted to like this game, Went and pre-ordered the faux leather limited edition and everything. And there are some really enjoyable moments in it too. (Someone deserves a medal for the crawler levels. That was something I thought I'd never see from Fable.) But the bad is SO bad that it put me off a game that I probably would have seen a lot of replay value from.