Review: Fable 3

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Elementlmage said:
WOW, way to post a review at the closing bell...

Or is this the lifting of the press blackout? It's 12 am where you guys are isn't it?
We schedule most content that gets posted at exact times in advance, so we don't actually have to be awake to press the button. I'm pretty sure the embargo on reviews was lifted at midnight.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Review: Fable 3

It's time for a revolution in Fable's Albion. Chicken kicking optional.

Read Full Article
But do I get to avenge the chicken? WHAT ABOUT CHICKEN?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Warnolo said:
I'm waiting it patiently to pc.

By the way, any owner can tell me if you can still bulk your hero?

Or how morphing your weapon works?
If you stick to melee weapons, you'll get brawny. (Magic makes you glow and ranged weapons make you tall. Because, you know, that totally makes sense.) Eating the wrong kinds of food will make you fat, while sticking to the good stuff will slim you down.

As for morphing your weapon, it changes based on how you play the game. Stuff like the kinds of things you kill, at what time of day, if you open a lot of chests, buy a lot of real estate - probably if you get a lot of spouses or children, too. While the ordinary weapons will tell you what you need to do in order to upgrade them, what happens to your Hero weapons is a surprise.

Daystar Clarion said:
Anyone know if decisions from Fable 2 effect Fable 3? It's just that I lost some of my save data and I can't be arsed to play through Fable 2 again.
The only obvious thing I noticed was that the game correctly identified the gender of my Hero from Fable 2, making references to "my mother" and "the queen." There are definitely some shout outs to events from Fable 2, though - if you played that game, you'll definitely recognize some characters and situations. But I wouldn't worry about redoing your saves, I don't think it has much actual bearing on Fable 3.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, but to be entirely honest I like being a wizard in fantasy games and I am not too fond of the idea of spellcasting being item based (potions, gauntlets) as opposed to knowlege and innate-abillity based.

It's a conceptual thing, and I guess a small complaint, and I gues it says something if that's the only real gripe I can find after that review.

At any rate my collector's edition is still en-route from Amazon.com, we'll see when it eventually gets here.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
pneuma08 said:
Yeah, between this and Fallout: New Vegas we're seeing a disturbing trend in the Good Game to Bugs ratio.

Still, it's nice to know that the Fable series is getting better with each iteration.
Bugs in New Vegas? Are you playing it on the console? I'm about 40hrs in in the PC version and I haven't come across any bugs thus far..aside from the occasional silly AI walking into walls and such.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Really enjoyed this review. I was pretty sure I was going to buy it before, but this has kinda helped clarify some of the average tasks and quests you go on and just makes me want it more.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
I'll be all over this one tonight...I don't expect I'll be getting much sleep over the next few weeks.

Warnolo

Apr 30, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:

If you stick to melee weapons, you'll get brawny. (Magic makes you glow and ranged weapons make you tall. Because, you know, that totally makes sense.) Eating the wrong kinds of food will make you fat, while sticking to the good stuff will slim you down.

As for morphing your weapon, it changes based on how you play the game. Stuff like the kinds of things you kill, at what time of day, if you open a lot of chests, buy a lot of real estate - probably if you get a lot of spouses or children, too. While the ordinary weapons will tell you what you need to do in order to upgrade them, what happens to your Hero weapons is a surprise.
Well, i'm curious about the weapon morphing because i dont know if you only can upgrade some weapons IF they had that option. I mean, it will have a Balverine rune if you kill X Balverines, it will have diamons if you get X gold, and things like that.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
best fable yet huh? I don't think it will be better then fable: tlc but I will still buy it.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Dash85 said:
Goddammit why can't this come out for PS3?!?! Or I win the lottery so I can buy a 360 and/or a better computer.....actually I'd prefer that one, I need money.
No luck here :( I've a monster computer, and I still can't play the game on account of Peter M. not releasing the game for the PC, yet. The release date has been further pushed back to Nov 3rd.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Warnolo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:

Well, i'm curious about the weapon morphing because i dont know if you only can upgrade some weapons IF they had that option. I mean, it will have a Balverine rune if you kill X Balverines, it will have diamons if you get X gold, and things like that.
The weapons you buy have specific criteria. The Casanova, for example, wants you to kill ugly things, while the Slimquick will make you thinner with each strike. As for your Hero weapons, as far as I know, the same criteria apply to all of them. But you also have to use them. If you kill 300 hobbes with your pistol, for example, your sword doesn't get credit for your having killed 300 hobbes, the pistol does.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Fable 3 is the best Fable yet?

I cannot wait to pick this up for my girlfriend after work - she absolutely adored the 2nd game (she still plays it regularly, what, 3 years after it was released and countless play-throughs).

If the story is as good as it sounds like it is, then I might even play through it this time too.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I can handle a few bugs. So long as they don't completely break the game then all is well.

The new system for making friends does seem a bit tedious though. You mean I can't just fart and chicken dance my way to popularity any more? That was, like 90% of Fable 2 for me.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
If you can collect guild seals, does that mean that the Heroes' Guild is back?

Big_H said:
Did Fable 2 ever come out for the PC? I enjoyed Fable: TLC, but was never able to find Fable 2.
No, it didn't. I was not happy with Microsoft when they did that to us.