Review: Fable 3

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
swooshmeister said:
Did you ever think that possibly in my country an xbox game is worth a whole months salary?I'm not going to throw my money away to buy something I'm not sure of wanting.I'm not being a troll so please don't start with the insults.I mainly said my opinion about the game and how I finished it.If you don't wanna believe me that's your problem.:)
Sorry I implied you were a troll. But my stance on the matter still remains about pirating. It is actually one of the reason games get more and more expensive. It is also the reason game companies put more and more DRM on PC games to try and foil pirates, which in-turn makes them more expensive.

Yes I feel sorry for you that that a game in your country would set you back that much money, but you have to consider the ramifications that pirating has on the industry.

Yes it isn't as bad in the US, but at my old job a few years ago, the cost of one game these days, would be at least a 5th of a months pay, but then I have to factor in loads of other expenses, I still have to decide what games I will get in a year.

A great year, like this year: 4 games
A good year 2
A bad year: 1

1 game a year is usually because I get money from relatives on holidays.

magma

Jul 21, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
magmayoshi said:
swooshmeister said:
Fable 3 seemed much shorter and easier than Fable 2 to me. The actors that portrayed the characters made the game worthwhile and story was truly superb though kinda outlandish...(weird alien invasion force bent on om-nomming your soul) It's like I heard somewhere before. Nevertheless this game was a pleasant experience.
But Fable 2 was already MUCH shorter and easier than Fable.... Are there fewer boss fights as well? The lack of real bosses (no, the fucking golems don't count, the golems were colour swappable filler) was the most disappointing aspect about Fable 2 for me, which didn't help the greater repetition, the empty ending and the fewer real challenges.
Don't worry, I highly doubt he played the whole game. Think, the game only came out 12-13 hours before he made the post. It's obvious he just did the story. It is his fault for just doing the main story and not doing any side missions.
You can blaze through Fable 2 and all it's side missions first try in a hell of a lot less time as the 1st Fable. Hell the main story in Fable 2 could be completed in a very short amount of time (a lot less than 11-12 hours) if you played the first and the actual interesting side-quests of Fable 2 had obvious tells. So I will not call shenanigans on the amount of play unless the poster admits to it.

And this is all assuming that the official release date stopped legal or illegal shenanigans from occurring.

Edit: So... yeah. Eh-hem since I responded before seeing swoosh's responses I will add: is it really that bloody short swoosh? But more importantly is it better in the bosses and characters department like Fable one?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
magmayoshi said:
You can blaze through Fable 2 and all it's side missions first try in a hell of a lot less time as the 1st Fable. Hell the main story in Fable 2 could be completed in a very short amount of time (a lot less than 11-12 hours) if you played the first and the actual interesting side-quests of Fable 2 had obvious tells. So I will not call shenanigans on the amount of play unless the poster admits to it.

And this is all assuming that the official release date stopped legal or illegal shenanigans from occurring.

Edit: So... yeah. Eh-hem since I responded before seeing swoosh's responses I will add: is it really that bloody short swoosh? But more importantly is it better in the bosses and characters department like Fable one?
My problem is that I played Fable 2 before Fable 1. I tried to play Fable 1 but for some reason, I couldn't get into it. But that was mostly in part because I downloaded it off of the Xbox live marketplace. It had the glitchest save system. I would play for a couple hours, save, and then when I would come back, it would be the save that came before the latest save. So, I had to save many many times, so I at least only had to redo only 10 minutes or so of what I had done last time. If I find the time, will go back and try and actually beat it.

magma

Jul 21, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
magmayoshi said:

My problem is that I played Fable 2 before Fable 1. I tried to play Fable 1 but for some reason, I couldn't get into it. But that was mostly in part because I downloaded it off of the Xbox live marketplace. It had the glitchest save system. I would play for a couple hours, save, and then when I would come back, it would be the save that came before the latest save. So, I had to save many many times, so I at least only had to redo only 10 minutes or so of what I had done last time. If I find the time, will go back and try and actually beat it.
A crippled save system can ruin any game; your problem wasn't that you played them in that order, the problem was you had to deal with a broken version. I played the first Fable on my craptop, never had any issues and enjoyed it on the lowest settings much more than Fable 2.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
I thought fable 2 was an ok game, I did enjoy it when I played it but I never thought yes I will go back and re play it.

I just cant get excited about this game, there are too many other games I want to get and i just dont want to spend £40 on this game. Maybe when it comes down in price in a few months I might consider it if im bored.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
I WANT HAS PLAY!!!! it kindof sucks that when you preorder the game to get the content, it comes later than it would if I went to a store and bought it. it defeats the point, but i wanted the extras. Even then though, I had to pay for it in shipping. it looks so gooood

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
Big_H said:
Did Fable 2 ever come out for the PC? I enjoyed Fable: TLC, but was never able to find Fable 2. I see Fable 3 is up for pre-order on Amazon, so hopefully we'll see it eventually.

Interesting review to be sure.
Fable: TLC came out for PC. Fable 2 didn't, for numerous reasons. But fortunately they're bringing the third one to the PC, so happy us! :D

Great review, btw.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Whats the map size like compared to the other two?
I hope its bigger than tlc.

Hexador

Dec 28, 2007
Wow... the new look for the game is awesome, I like it alot more than the cartooney graphics from the first and second game.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
.... I'm still not going to play it. People claimed Fable 2 was terrific as well, it basically won G4's game of the year.

and it was terribad.

no, even with praise, this one is one I'm going to miss for now.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Thank you for the great review Susan.

My wife asked me for gift ideas for my birthday this year (she gets me clothes if I don't give her any) and I said Fable III. All the news I was hearing about it was pretty negative till your review so thank you very much for easing my mind:)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
If only the combat had been decent and atleast somewhat challenging, this could have been a decent game.
What a waste.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
archvile93 said:
It sounds like fun. Too bad I can't play it because the dipshit developers are withholding the PC version most likely for shits and giggles. At the very least with how long it's delayed the PC version better have virtually no glithes or else I will personally deliver a savage beating to everyone associated with the game.
I love gamers who want a game and insult/threaten the developers. Its like going to subway and spitting them in the face as they make you a sandwich. I realize I'm one of the first to hate on developers, but that's generally when they make a shitty game, not a good one that you can't play because they're holding it to get some more money in or want to polish it up a bit (both of which are perfectly justified).

Maybe you didn't mean it that way or were just on edge, if not I suggest you chill, lest the gift horse bite your damn head off. =/

Anyway, on topic. This looks to me like what Fable 2 should have been and as a (mainly) PC gamer I too'll be looking forward to seeing when it releases, preferably with a demo to give it a try.

(That's right, "I tool")

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Damn you Molyneux, what happened to releasing an ENGLISH MADE GAME in ENGLAND first!?

Also...ADD A DAMN CAT, I don't want a dog, I wanna be an evil king and have a cat to stroke as I roast people, yes I'm a stereotypical evil villian...just make it be you!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Ghaaa... I got the game a few hours ago and have to wait a day. Can't stand the voices Lionhead used for dubbing and considering the original cast I won't start playing until I can download the english voice track on Xbox Live tomorrow. It's got Simon Pegg, John Cleese and Ben Kingsley for crying out loud!!!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
swooshmeister said:
What I hated with the whole money gathering was that even though I did what was asked of me as a ''good'' king I did and I still was feared and hated.Why? Because I set the rent to high which is +1 to normal. Pure logic dictates that when you live in luxury and everything is beyond hunky-dorey you set the rent,charging fees appropiately. Ungrateful peasants to be honest:)

You have loads of chances to receive high amounts of gold which should be invested in buying and renting buildings. So you don't have to ''work'' per say to get rich.
I thought you had said a spoiler there...sorry

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Anyone know if decisions from Fable 2 effect Fable 3? It's just that I lost some of my save data and I can't be arsed to play through Fable 2 again.
No, not really.

I kind of rushed through for my first playthrough, and didn't do too much side stuff, but from what I saw, you're good to go. ^^