Review: Fable 3

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Warnolo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:
I'm waiting it patiently to pc.

By the way, any owner can tell me if you can still bulk your hero?

Or how morphing your weapon works?
If you stick to melee weapons, you'll get brawny. (Magic makes you glow and ranged weapons make you tall. Because, you know, that totally makes sense.) Eating the wrong kinds of food will make you fat, while sticking to the good stuff will slim you down.

As for morphing your weapon, it changes based on how you play the game. Stuff like the kinds of things you kill, at what time of day, if you open a lot of chests, buy a lot of real estate - probably if you get a lot of spouses or children, too. While the ordinary weapons will tell you what you need to do in order to upgrade them, what happens to your Hero weapons is a surprise.
Well, i'm curious about the weapon morphing because i dont know if you only can upgrade some weapons IF they had that option. I mean, it will have a Balverine rune if you kill X Balverines, it will have diamons if you get X gold, and things like that.
Just to let you know what DOES happen when you kill enough wolves/balverines with your hero sword:

The weapon turns black and silver, with a wolf's head for the divider of the handle and the blade. Looks pretty boss, but sucks if you wanted a holy looking Hero, like I did.

Deylin

Oct 22, 2010
Bought the game today and so far I agree with what the review stated. Though I feel like the movement is a bit clunky and sometimes when i want to shoot or throw a fireball at an enemy the targeting system wants to target my dog. Overall a good game and indeed the best Fable title to date.

Warnolo

Apr 30, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
Warnolo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Warnolo said:
I'm waiting it patiently to pc.

By the way, any owner can tell me if you can still bulk your hero?

Or how morphing your weapon works?
If you stick to melee weapons, you'll get brawny. (Magic makes you glow and ranged weapons make you tall. Because, you know, that totally makes sense.) Eating the wrong kinds of food will make you fat, while sticking to the good stuff will slim you down.

As for morphing your weapon, it changes based on how you play the game. Stuff like the kinds of things you kill, at what time of day, if you open a lot of chests, buy a lot of real estate - probably if you get a lot of spouses or children, too. While the ordinary weapons will tell you what you need to do in order to upgrade them, what happens to your Hero weapons is a surprise.
Well, i'm curious about the weapon morphing because i dont know if you only can upgrade some weapons IF they had that option. I mean, it will have a Balverine rune if you kill X Balverines, it will have diamons if you get X gold, and things like that.
Just to let you know what DOES happen when you kill enough wolves/balverines with your hero sword:

The weapon turns black and silver, with a wolf's head for the divider of the handle and the blade. Looks pretty boss, but sucks if you wanted a holy looking Hero, like I did.
:O

I WANT THAT!

Knytemare

Aug 28, 2009
I don't get the hitchhikers ref, Zaphod has two heads, but no extra hands or arms, and so would wear the same number of gauntlets as you or I.

zero_blahs

Nov 26, 2009
Just got done with my speed run and ive got to say its great I personally didnt have any trouble with bugs outside of jobs(momentary freezing) and the glowing trail disappearing/seemingly turn around. However it seems they got rid of the "troll or golem fights" kinda made me sad :( but the rest is awesome. The story Is actually a story worth playing gives some background raises some questions ect... and the sillier moments provide a stark contrast with the dark dark dark nightmare giving moments...

And to anyone who plans on playing good I warn you now stockpile cash like a fing bank robber buy shops do whatever you need lots at the end like 8million so you'll have to spend alot more time playing than if you were evil to get a good ending.
OT: overall nice review :)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
And, I'm on my second playthrough now. I'm actually looking foward to it more than my first.

zero_blahs said:
Just got done with my speed run and ive got to say its great I personally didnt have any trouble with bugs outside of jobs(momentary freezing) and the glowing trail disappearing/seemingly turn around. However it seems they got rid of the "troll or golem fights" kinda made me sad :( but the rest is awesome. The story Is actually a story worth playing gives some background raises some questions ect... and the sillier moments provide a stark contrast with the dark dark dark nightmare giving moments...
I could have sworn I saw something like "Golems Killed: 0" on the loading screen or in a menu screen or something, but I myself never saw one in my playthrough.

Susan Arendt said:
As I'm curious to see what you did in the end Susan, I shall spoiler this for everyone else:

What did you do while you were the King/Queen? Were you evil so you could save the people? Or were you good so you could make Albion better at the cost of most of the peoples lives?

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Just don't forget to save a bunch and you'll have a blast!

Plus it'll be fun to see the game's screw-ups.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Knytemare said:
I don't get the hitchhikers ref, Zaphod has two heads, but no extra hands or arms, and so would wear the same number of gauntlets as you or I.
Zaphod has three arms.

Sparrow said:
And, I'm on my second playthrough now. I'm actually looking foward to it more than my first.

zero_blahs said:
I could have sworn I saw something like "Golems Killed: 0" on the loading screen or in a menu screen or something, but I myself never saw one in my playthrough.

Susan Arendt said:
As I'm curious to see what you did in the end Susan, I shall spoiler this for everyone else:

What did you do while you were the King/Queen? Were you evil so you could save the people? Or were you good so you could make Albion better at the cost of most of the peoples lives?
The latter. I actually had a fair amount of money stockpiled, and was planning on transferring it to the treasury, but my anniversary as queen took me completely by surprise. I thought there would be more warning than there was - I went from 121 days left to 1 just like that. Ah, well. I'm known as the ruler that let the kingdom die...though the ones that survived adore me.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
It looks like...Fable, but a third one. I can understand how people can really like this game but none of the gameplay in the review struck a chord with me. It looks like it's the same damn thing as Fable 1 and 2. Good I guess if you aren't looking for anything new but bad if you are. To me it just seems like one of those games where you say "oh it's out ? noted", and continue on with your day.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
The latter. I actually had a fair amount of money stockpiled, and was planning on transferring it to the treasury, but my anniversary as queen took me completely by surprise. I thought there would be more warning than there was - I went from 121 days left to 1 just like that. Ah, well. I'm known as the ruler that let the kingdom die...though the ones that survived adore me.
I actually found out that as long as I didn't do the last thing on the list it didn't move on to the next day so I stock piled a ton of gold(about 7.5 million) and through into the treasury and then just kept going through the story without an issue. This also opened up the chest for me and gave me phat lootz (chickenbane pistol).

One though I'll add though the best combo for me has been blade + vortex, although I used shock + lightning until I could do that. Once I was saw what the combo of blade + vortex does I just proceeded to do that and one shot balverines everywhere. Plus it looks.... epic to say the least.

eac0807d1

Nov 1, 2010
I disagree with this review. I got Fable III thinking that it would be a total upgrade to what was already a good game. No, Peter again used his car salesman tactics and tricked me into buying a weak game with a slow and boring gameplay with a short, pitiful conclusion.

Yes, the Sanctuary is a fantastic idea, and I loved the organization of it. The map was "somewhat" easy to use and I loved walking into a room and seeing my gold pile up so I could piss on it and claim it as my territory.

Yes, the idea of "touch" was cool, for the first 30 minutes in, but then once I realized I didn't have the choice of how I wanted to interact and had to dance with them EVERY SINGLE time got aggravating and I just didn't give a crap anymore. I got tired of being everyone's errand boy, or taking them by their sweaty hands to a place they could have easily gotten to by using their own two legs. And if they aren't my friend because I didn't get them a sodding book, fine, I'll be friends with the next guy who looks exactly like you, except with a mustache and a whimsical hat.

The guild seals were a pretty good idea, making you earn your upgrades and getting only what you want, for me, that was magic upgrades and spells and the ability to buy a house and adopt my child after I divorced my average looking husband. But thats where I stop liking it.

The game does have a good story line, but honestly I didn't care most of the time because I was too worried about money. The battle that led up to my coronation was lame, killing soldiers easily with a small spell and then going straight to the cut scene of calmly having my brother give up the crown. Honestly, if he is such an evil guy, and wants to keep the crown so badly, I would have expected an awesome fight. Then it led to the coronation and then I was queen. That should have at least upped the games intensity by some degree. But it didn't.

For the last half of the game, I was trying to be the good queen, keeping my promises. I always like to play as a good character, but the game makes it pretty damn impossible to be flawless without being dead broke. The only way I got the funds back was from my own pocket. I left my xbox on all day just so I get a heap of money and donate it to my sorry ass kingdom for an army, which judging by the weak, short short SHORT disappointing ending, I didn't really need.

Overall, Fable III is a weak game, if you want to be "good" that is. Honestly, Peter, if you had spent more time on making the game better and not spending hours upon hours of interviewing, talking about "touch" so much, this might have been decent.

From a disappointed Fable fan,

eac0807d1

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
eac0807d1 said:
Let me begin by saying fuck you buddy. Way to spoil what happens late in the game. Not to mention you DON'T have to go on fetch quests to be people's friends/lovers that can happen on moral standing alone, every fable game has repetitive npc interactions, and why did you even buy a game called "Fable", knowing it was centered around revolution, and not care about the story?

Also, it is VERY easy to get through the latter part of the game with a VERY large amount of money and a little surplus, just buy houses, earn rent, buy houses, earn rent, etc., if you don't have enough for a house, work for the money.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
For some reason this video is so laggy that it looks like a slide show. Everything else on the site is fine.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
This review has made me consider buying fable something I haven't done in the past due to 3 things, not having a 360 when fable was out (first I got rid of 'cus I'm an idiot) secondly abnormal bias against 360 RPG's that aren't Mass Effect/TES, and 3rdly I buy most games on my PS3

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
The initial turn-off for me in this game was the bugs. So, so many buggy buggy bugs. Seriously, young Susan is VASTLY understating how glitch-ridden this game is. Villiagers mysteriously becoming non-interactive (Including my beloved wife.), falling through geography, my character getting stuck in the floor, the dog being impaled by a fencepost on his way to a dig spot, Jasper turning into a mute, framerate randomly slowing to a viscous crawl for no good reason, and those were just the ones I experienced! I've heard of others, Create-a-villager characters being bugged-out herms. Un-exitable quests (eg. The Game, Darkness Incarnate) trapping characters, forcing a restart of the entire fragging game.

I sympathise with the difficulties faced by developers in MS games studio and the deadlines they must be subjected to, but seriously, this is all shit which should REALLY have been picked up in beta. Am I supposed to use the names under 'Testers' in your credits as a blacklist for 'Testers who couldn't find bugs on a $2 hooker's crotch with the damn hubble'?

I don't know who started this trend of 'Use the customer for free Beta then rush out a patch' but it really needs to stop. The aussie dollar is at parity with the greenback and we are still paying $100 for a new release game (with our nearest region partner, hong kong paying a third of that, what gives eh?), and it's 12+ months before that price appreciably lowers. We're not talking goddamn 20c arcade money any more, devs.

Secondly, I think Susan did mention it in the Review, but all the stuff that falls under 'You really should have learned this from fable 2.'

Expressions have been vastly improved, but now there's no choice in the matter. The most appropriate 'starter' emote was the one you start the game with. The Handshake. Not 2 levels up and suddenly I'm fucking Swayze and Baby has a beard with every random person I see.

Progeny is STILL thrown through the random villiager creator, 2 Albionite upper class characters can birth an Auroran/Samarkandian kid in rags. (White parents, black baby, worded to avoid knee jerk pc apoplexy)

Breadcrumb trail. Still broken.

Meat still makes you fat. Whoever the peta member is on the board of Lionhead needs to GTFO.

End boss fight...
At least we get more than one hit in on him this time.

Thirdly, the plain ODD design and implementation of features.

You are expected to metagame and powerlevel straight out of the gate. It is at no stage hinted that you are expected to amass a fortune that would have rendered money completely useless in fable 2 if you want to go paragon. There is no such thing as an 'organic' playthrough. You are literally expected to look for ways to 'play the system' from day 1 of your rule, and as Yahtzee pointed out, immersion in a world can be said to be completely absent when you are that aware you are 'playing a game'.

I REALLY wanted to like this game, Went and pre-ordered the faux leather limited edition and everything. And there are some really enjoyable moments in it too. (Someone deserves a medal for the crawler levels. That was something I thought I'd never see from Fable.) But the bad is SO bad that it put me off a game that I probably would have seen a lot of replay value from.