Review: Ghostbusters

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008

If there's something strange in your neighborhood, who you gonna call?

Read Full Article

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
My family to see if they had anything to do with it. We're the strangest, most disfunctional people you will ever wish you've never met.

Now to read this article and compare it with the reviews already out there.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Ah god Ghostbusters theme is stuck in my head

Now I can either wait till the 360 version comes out but that will take months other in the UK so I suppose I have to pick up the PS3 version.

Though it is nice to see a movie tie in game with the original cast!

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
Jordan Deam said:
If there's something strange in you neighborhood, who you gonna call?
The Spelling Police. Then the Ghostbusters for the ghost problem.
Oh burn man.

That's just cruel.

That's just horrible.

Especially to a guy who did a review, that I finished reading, up to expectations....

not cool.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
mentor07825 said:
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
Jordan Deam said:
Oh burn man.

That's just cruel.

That's just horrible.

Especially to a guy who did a review, that I finished reading, up to expectations....

not cool.
Thank you, I do try.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Okay so this makes 3 positive reviews, so I'm gonna buy it this weekend.

I hope the "taking pictures of ghosts" part doesn't resemble Fatal Frame that much. FFrame scared the crap out of me.

Oh yeah does anyone know what happens if you cross the streams ingame? If it gives my xbox a RRoD I'll kill someone.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
mentor07825 said:
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
Jordan Deam said:
Oh burn man.

That's just cruel.

That's just horrible.

not cool.
Thank you, I do try.
It's also a direct quote from the movie and was actually used on the movie posters back in the 80s.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I trust you, Dream. I'll go and rent this tonight.

If it sucks, you had better be locking your door!

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Flying-Emu said:

I would be careful, I'm sure he now owns an unlicensed nuclear accelerator in the form of a backpack.

Toners

May 27, 2009
Jordan Deam said:

Read Full Article
This is completely off-topic, but your avatar, I actually recognise it :O That was one HELL of a weird film.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
somelameshite said:
Okay so this makes 3 positive reviews, so I'm gonna buy it this weekend.

I hope the "taking pictures of ghosts" part doesn't resemble Fatal Frame that much. FFrame scared the crap out of me.

Oh yeah does anyone know what happens if you cross the streams ingame? If it gives my xbox a RRoD I'll kill someone.
If you cross the streams for more than a few seconds, you trigger a "total protonic reversal" (duh!) that damages you and whoever you crossed streams with.

As for the "taking pictures of ghosts" thing, it's vaguely similar to the camera mechanic in BioShock, only a lot shallower. (For example, you really only take pictures of each ghost once.)

Dartinin

Apr 14, 2009
Nice review, i will not be buying or playing it anything in the near future ^^ but it's nice to see what I'm missing out on lol

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
I was wondering... since this takes place post-Ghostbusters 2 movie, do they explain how they got the Statue of Liberty back on her island?

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Ah god Ghostbusters theme is stuck in my head

Now I can either wait till the 360 version comes out but that will take months other in the UK so I suppose I have to pick up the PS3 version.

Though it is nice to see a movie tie in game with the original cast!
God dammit, did you have to post the theme song? Now i'm gonna have to go buy the game.

Stupid nostalgia....

Keshihead

Jun 15, 2009
118!!! :D Apologies for the bad joke, but I couldn't resist. I ain't afraid of no goats!

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
mentor07825 said:
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
Jordan Deam said:
Oh burn man.

That's just cruel.

That's just horrible.

not cool.
Thank you, I do try.
It's also a direct quote from the movie and was actually used on the movie posters back in the 80s.
Uh huh. Do me a favor and read the original that Gunslinger quoted oooooone more time. I think you'll find it enlightening.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Propagandasaurus said:
Spinwhiz said:
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
mentor07825 said:
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
Jordan Deam said:
Oh burn man.

That's just cruel.

That's just horrible.

not cool.
Thank you, I do try.
Uh huh. Do me a favor and read the original that Gunslinger quoted oooooone more time. I think you'll find it enlightening.
buwahahahahahahaha!

squid5580

Feb 20, 2008
Kuliani said:
I was wondering... since this takes place post-Ghostbusters 2 movie, do they explain how they got the Statue of Liberty back on her island?
A wizard did it.

Got my copy and I can't wait to start busting ghosts. Been waiting 20 years for this game.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Yay, another positive review, meanwhile, only 136 days until I can play it.
There isn't a release date for where I live. *sob* I won't be able to get this until the end of December, when I fly to America for Christmas. I want this game so, so much. Curse my lack of a credit card!

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
There is no Xbox 360 version of this game in Europe. That's retarded. Because the PS3 controller sucks a big one, so I'm not gonna buy this game. :(

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I gotta say, despite how good the game is, this games launch is so botched.

360 versions aren't available in Europe, but is available in the U.S., the PC version requires an internet connection, but has no co-op (at least it's half price), and I haven't heard a damn thing about the Wii version yet.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Kuliani said:
Probably not. Also if you look closely you'll notice that at the end of the movie the statue is in fact already back on its island, so its not as if that event occured between the movie and the game, I assume they put it back fairly promptly.

Also I'm OBSESSED with ghostbusters and watched it like a billion times growing up, so I'm definitely picking this up TODAY on my way to work. I just wish I didn't have to work first before I get a chance to play the thing.

I-I-I-I ain't afraid of no ghost!

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
The reason for no Xbox EU launch yet was covered here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91603] on this site a month or so back... basically Sony picked up the EU shipping rights or something similar, so it's an EU PS3 exclusive.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Just picked up the PC version of the game, and it won't install. Seems a lot of other PC users are having the same problem: installer just says it was aborted before it could finish (BS!)and doesn't install the .exe files.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
This is the only game im looking forward to this year. I will be making a purchase as soon as possible.

DaxStrife said:
Just picked up the PC version of the game, and it won't install. Seems a lot of other PC users are having the same problem: installer just says it was aborted before it could finish (BS!)and doesn't install the .exe files.
after they fix this.

perhaps its out on steam?

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
I've been looking forward to this game and now seeing all the positive reviews I am so picking this up this weekend when I get paid.

Soigieoto

Jan 15, 2009
Hahah the whole review the theme song was playing in my head.

Maybe I will have to pick this one up.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Flying-Emu said:

I would be careful, I'm sure he now owns an unlicensed nuclear accelerator in the form of a backpack.
I'm sure he does.

But I? I have a little thing called... well, I have my neighbor's chainsaw. That's a fair fight right?

Right!?

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
...and I haven't heard a damn thing about the Wii version yet.
Curses!! That's the only next-gen system I could afford, too...I do hope they make some *Useful* use of the Wii-mote for that, and don't reduce it to random flailing like they did with Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Very awesome, albeit short. I beat it already. Boo. I'm sure I'll go through it again in a week or two, but I wish there was more.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Bought it, loving it. The review is correct, this DEFINATLY plays like a movie, so you gotta take the "EXPERIANCE" into account. Alot of the enemies are reskinned versions of each other (though admittedly, very prettily reskinned). Sometimes the gameplay gets repetetive, but in this case the frequent breathers to soak up the atmosphere actually HELP the game. It would get very boring, very repetetive, very fast- but with it's movie pacing, every encounter is frantic and breathless, and the game does a good job of shocking you and being spooky. It's not frightening by any means, but spooky. The dialogue and story are great, of course, the weapons are fun if a few on them only have videogame cliche uses - I can find no use for the slime tether except a few gimmick puzzles that require it. Shooting a giang booger is fun though.

It looks like it's going to be about average length, 9 to 12 hours depending on how you play, but thats one of those "probably a good thing otherwise it'd wear out it's welcome situation". I strongly suggest you take your time when playing, and switch from PKE meter to normal vision often - the atmosphere is better to take in, in normal vision.

Can't comment on the multiplayer, sounds fun though. Frankly, as frantic and easy it is to shoot your teammates in singleplayer is? This will be goddamn crazy online.

Daemon 085

May 20, 2009
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic, i dont really play that many "funny" games, and theres stuff coming out about the same time that looks much more worth my money

it loks great though, so fans are most likely in for a treat

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
I got the pc version, the controls do not seem unresponsive to me at all. (maybe an xbox issue?)
Also, I can't say I've ever gone 10 minutes with out hitting up a ghost. Course I run from place to place not scanning every nook and cranny. ;)

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I just started playing this on my PS3 last night, and I have to say. If you were a fan of this at all growing up or when it was out, like I was obsessed with it, then you won't be disappointed. As the game was starting up I was smiling the widest smile ever and laughing with glee at the pure nostaligarific awesomeness that is this game. The feel of the movies is like perfectly recreated, plus a whole bunch of little extras and throwbacks to old events and such. The trophies (achievements) are all like, old quotes from the movie. Like beating Sedgewick hotel is "I've always wanted to do this" (I was running around the ballroom trying to pull the tablecloth with the action button or some such, then I tried knocking over everything but the flowers, thinking it might be an achievement but apparently I just had to beat it... lol ) it made me exclaim "The flowers are still standing!".

Yeah I'm a huge Ghostbusters nerd, but I mean cmon.... I grew up with these movies.

So as Peter Venkman once said to Ray Stanz after he took out a third mortgage to fund their ghostbustin business "You'll never regret this (Ray)!"

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
thiosk said:
perhaps its out on steam?
It is! (In North America anyway.)

I suppose looking at it as like a "movie-themed ghost-hunting simulator" might be best. A pity I'm saving up for moving into a new apartment and can't really afford any extraneous expenses at the moment.

Feb 13, 2008
Taerdin said:
So as Peter Venkman once said to Ray Stanz after he took out a third mortgage to fund their ghostbustin business "You'll never regret this (Ray)!"
"Ray. If someone asks if you are a god, you say, "yes!"

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I've been playing it and really like how it's put together. Some people already said it but it really does feel like you are watching a movie and inserting yourself into some parts.

I really dig it.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Daemon 085 said:
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic
If it wasn't comic it wouldn't be Ghostbusters... and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

That said you must not be a fan of the movies if you feel that way, so yeah you're probably better off staying away and leaving this nostalgiarific love fest to the fans of the series :)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I gotta say, now that I finally got it running, the game is quite fun if you just let yourself get into it. Short but sweet. That said, I have a couple nitpicks:

-The Ghostbusters theme isn't there. Sure, it starts for about 15 seconds in the intro, and about a minute of it at the end. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a tease; if you're playing a Ghostbusters game you expect to hear the Ghostbusters theme a bit, and at least play the whole song!
-The PC version definitely got borked (unless you're going with Steam; figures they'd add it to their service after I got the box-copy installed). Load times are needlessly long. The DRM is bull. The installer throws a hissy-fit if you try to install anywhere other than the C: drive. And they took out the multiplayer content because obviously a PC would never be connected to the Internet.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
DaxStrife said:
I gotta say, now that I finally got it running, the game is quite fun if you just let yourself get into it. Short but sweet. That said, I have a couple nitpicks:

-The Ghostbusters theme isn't there. Sure, it starts for about 15 seconds in the intro, and about a minute of it at the end. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a tease; if you're playing a Ghostbusters game you expect to hear the Ghostbusters theme a bit, and at least play the whole song!
That was one thing I didn't mention in my review - it's totally baffling to me that basically the only time you hear the theme song is on the loading screen between deaths. Then again, it does make the 20 seconds or so of waiting around a little more bearable.

Guess you just didn't die enough, DaxStrife :p

Tone666

Jun 17, 2009
Just to let you guys know who own PAL systems like myself.. you can get the game right now! its region free so head over to play asia and buy it there (the US version, not the asian version).. i did and its on its way :D will cost you £40.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Jordan Deam said:
DaxStrife said:

That was one thing I didn't mention in my review - it's totally baffling to me that basically the only time you hear the theme song is on the loading screen between deaths. Then again, it does make the 20 seconds or so of waiting around a little more bearable.

Guess you just didn't die enough, DaxStrife :p
Just a couple times during the flaming cherub bit, though I never heard the music then. Wonder if that's another thing stripped for the PC version?

GrouchyBigfoot

Jun 1, 2009
I am not a fan of the movies but I love the game even if its capturing the ghost over and over the ghost are fun to fight with your weapons. Plus a suggestion is to have a friend or two buy this because the online pay is so fun.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I can't wait to play this game; Especially since it allows you to create your own character and go on missions as a buster-in-training!

Daemon 085

May 20, 2009
Taerdin said:
Daemon 085 said:
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic
If it wasn't comic it wouldn't be Ghostbusters... and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

That said you must not be a fan of the movies if you feel that way, so yeah you're probably better off staying away and leaving this nostalgiarific love fest to the fans of the series :)
yeah your right, i might give it a go at work, but not buy it, i watched the films when i was a kid and couldnt appreciate it, i might watch again and review my decision :)

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
misterprickly said:
I can't wait to play this game; Especially since it allows you to create your own character and go on missions as a buster-in-training!
You can't create your character's appearance, you're just some random brown haired guy. But I guess in a sense you 'create' your character as he never talks or reveals anything about himself. Its up to you to decide 'who' he is. He doesn't even have a name. His little ghostbuster jumpsuit nametag says Rookie, and people call you rookie, or cadet, or new guy... whatever

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
So far I'm enjoying this game. Busting ghost is something I've wanted to do since I was 5 and it's just as awesome as I imagined. :)

My ONLY problem with this game is when you fail a mission you have to sit through a 30-45 second load screen before it throws you back into the action. Bullshit I say!!

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
I loved the Ghostbuster when I was a kid. I still do. So much so I watch the movies almost every day. And I kid you not when I say this, but I've memorised just about EVERY peice of dialouge in both movies. Love to movies. And I'll love, I'm positive I will. It only needs three things to make me love it.
Ghosterbusters
Crossing the Proton Streams
and The Stay Puft Mashmellow Man.

And it looks like it'll have all those. YAY!

And if my friend compares this game to Luigi's Mansion again I'm gonna kill him.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Tone666 said:
Just to let you guys know who own PAL systems like myself.. you can get the game right now! its region free so head over to play asia and buy it there (the US version, not the asian version).. i did and its on its way :D will cost you £40.
Thats still like $100 aus. So that doesn't help me. Fuck it, i'll just buy it from the video shop they always sell games cheap. I got Fallout3 $30 cheaper from my local video shop than Vamp Games, which is where I usually go to get games.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
I bought this game two days ago and I am loving it. I just wish I had an Ecto cooler to drink while playing it.

nativesoldier

Jun 24, 2009
The writing wasn't too bad. the review (both the video and writing) seemed to go into a lot of detail about capturing a ghost, while every other aspect of the game gets nothing more than an honorable mention. YES, I can hear some of you guys now, "the whole game is about catching ghosts." Sure, but even Jesus knew when to share the spotlight with Moses and Noah in their little fairy-tail book. Furthermore, I'm not completely sure if you liked this game or didn't. you give some pros and cons but never show which way YOU lean, except that you enjoyed reeling in the ghosts, and that might only seem like that because you fell way below the word limit and decided to ramble on in detail about the ghost fishing which tells me that you may spend a lot of time playing with your own rod. ALSO, you mention the slow game play, and the controls but how and to what extent did they effect the over feel and experience of the game? is the slowness of the game just slow in comparison to other games or it so slow that you wouldn't recommend it to a kid with ADD because he would chew his fingers of waiting? Obviously rhetorical and mentioned to maybe shine some light on questions that you may want to ask yourself before writing your next review.

Written: 5/10
Video: 3/10

Snyder-Man

Jun 27, 2009
Again with the raping of my childhood. Oh well...since it's been a turd-fest SINCE my childhood I guess I can't blame the former SNLers for giving it another go. I guess I'd be bleeding the franchise too.

Who am I gonna call? Pizza-Hut.